The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice - Dogs Being Left Outside

rls22

Rachel - Citycroft
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
You might remember I had concerns about my neighbours and their dog being left outside, where I used to live.

Well - we moved 6 months ago and the people over the lane where we live are far worse.

I am ashamed that I've not done anything sooner :( , but this is the final straw -

The dogs are kept outside in a small run all day and night every single day. In 6 months I have never even seen them except when I peeped through the panels to see a poo infested run. I assume the dogs are never taken on walks and get next to no attention.

They go mad every time we walk past, barking and barking. Tonight we got back from our walk and they did the same, but it resulted in what sounded like a nasty fight. I was banging and shouting trying to get them to stop, which they eventually did.

The terrible thing is - the owners have gone away and left the dogs. They have been away since Sunday and although someone is coming round to feed them and put water in that is it, once a day.

Like I say I feel thoroughly ashamed that I have done nothing sooner, but tomorrow I am doing something about it.

THe thing is - is it a case of ringing the RSPCA or do I call the dog warden. As they're not even there I don't know what I should do.

Any help on this much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the good they are try calling the RSPCA. The dog warden will do nothing if they are not loose on the street apart from call in the RSPCA himself.

The fact the people have gone away & left them, but if they are being fed & watered i doubt they will act.

Do you know what kind of dogs they are?

Does anyone know how long the people are away for?

With the RSPCA providing the dogs are fed & watered & have a shelter in most cases they are powerless to act :(

unfortunatly I dont think the RSPCA will do anything in this case, as far as I am aware if the dogs have food water and shelter they are not breaking the law :angry: Perhaps if they are being kept in dirty conditions and if they are neglected ie matted fur they perhaps could intervene. I would call them anyway. Poor poor dogs, good luck I hope something can be done for them :luck:

How awful - don't beat yourself up about not doing anything sooner :thumbsup: you know now that what you thought may be the case IS actually the case. Anyway I guess it's the RSPCA route :( and if they don't do anything, perhaps keep calling te dog warden until they get fed up with you!!

nina said:
For all the good they are try calling the RSPCA. The dog warden will do nothing if they are not loose on the street apart from call in the RSPCA himself.
The fact the people have gone away & left them, but if they are being fed & watered i doubt they will act.

With the RSPCA providing the dogs are fed & watered & have a shelter in most cases they are powerless to act  :(

Well my OH saw someone go in with food on Sunday, but we've not actually seen anyone since, so I have just assumed/hoped they are being fed. :(

I think one is a lurcher, but I really can't tell as I've never seen them outside - I don't even know if there are 2 or 3 in there.

They are kept in atrocious conditions and are horribly neglected in my opinion.

We have no idea how long they are away for as we don't speak to them and nor do our other neighbours

Those poor dogs, what a horrible situation :(

It's worth talking to the RSPCA. Usually if dogs have food, water and shelter there's not a lot they can do, but if conditions are really filthy or the dogs are ill/injured and not getting vet treatment they might be able to act. A visit might be a bit of a wake-up call for the owners, too.

Do you know the owners at all? I wonder if they really want the dogs if they pay them so little attention, and whether they might be prepared to rehome them if a home or rescue space can be found?

rls22 said:
nina said:

With the RSPCA providing the dogs are fed & watered & have a shelter in most cases they are powerless to act  :(

Well my OH saw someone go in with food on Sunday, but we've not actually seen anyone since, so I have just assumed/hoped they are being fed. :(

I think one is a lurcher, but I really can't tell as I've never seen them outside - I don't even know if there are 2 or 3 in there.

They are kept in atrocious conditions and are horribly neglected in my opinion.

We have no idea how long they are away for as we don't speak to them and nor do our other neighbours

Jeez!! :eek:

If you havent seen anyone go in since Sunday & we are now Wednesday you need to call the RSPCA ASAP.

I think if they can prove no one has been around in 24/48 hours to feed the dogs they can act.

Please call them asap tonight if poss & let them know you have seen NO ONE since Sunday.

Those poor dogs :(

You can phone the RSPCA, Rachel, and report it and ask to remain anonymous to the dogs' owners. The RSPCA must respect your wish and should go and check out the situation.

The only problem I can foresee with this is that the owners may become suspicious about who reported it and that may have a knock on effect on you as a dog owner (and any other dog owner in the locality!)

As Nina says, the RSPCA have to be able to prove neglect which is normally based upon lack of food, water and shelter. Lack of exercise doen't seem to be a pre-requisite for the RSPCA to get involved and all they will do is 'advise' the owners about responsible dog ownership.

:luck: :luck: though, whatever you decide to do :thumbsup: :cheers:

Do I phone the 24 hour cruelty line then?

God I feel awful now thinking they might not have been fed. Alex says he saw someone let themselves into the house on Sunday, so I assume they have been feeding them but I'm not 100% sure.

i would Rachel, otherwise you will lie awake wondering :huggles:

I'm on the phone to them now :thumbsup:

The inspector is going out tomorrow to investigate.

I hope something is done :luck:

if noones been seen since sunday surely it could be called a case of abandonment and action should be taken? :(

rls22 said:
The inspector is going out tomorrow to investigate.I hope something is done  :luck:

Well done Rach.

You can request that you you receive a phone call to be told what the outcome is.

If in doubt call them again tomorrow & ask if anyone has been & ask that someone please call you & let you know what is happening. :thumbsup:

You did the right thing Rachel, someone has to be on the dogs' side and luckily you were around. I'm really proud of you, hopefully the RSPCA will assess the situation tomorrow and get it sorted.

Jenny

They said it would be treated as a case of abandonment.

I also took it as an opportunity to tell them all my other concerns and the lady did sound really horrified, so I just hope that they do what they say they will.

We were just talking about it and said we have no idea why they even have the dogs, because they never spend any time with them at all :(

We wondered if it was for security, but there is just no need for that here. And that would be no excuse anyway

They would be much better off being rehomed.

They are horrid people, they don't deserve their dogs :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
rls22 said:
They said it would be treated as a case of abandonment.  I also took it as an opportunity to tell them all my other concerns and the lady did sound really horrified, so I just hope that they go what they say they will.

We were just talking about it and said we have no idea why they even have the dogs, because they never spend any time with them at all  :(  

We wondered if it was for security, but there is just no need for that here.  And that would be no excuse anyway

They would be much better off being rehomed. 

They are horrid people, they don't deserve their dogs  :rant:

Just don't understand some people :( Lets just hope they get it sorted tomorrow :luck:

Well done, Rachel :)

I hope these poor dogs get a better life very, very soon :thumbsup:

Poor dogs, hope it gets sorted out for their sake and for yours. :luck:

Of course I can see why you're worried and it certainly seems like the poor dogs ain't having much of a life - but there's a big difference between not having SEEN anyone visit since Sunday, and no one actually visiting.

I would be horrified to think that my neighbours assumed that my cat wasn't fed while I was away on account of not happening to see my cat feeder calling round (dogs come with me btw!)

Thats not a dig at you though Rachel - The rest of the stuff you talked about in your post would be enough to concern me if I lived close :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back