The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice Please!

Katie__

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hello !

just after some advice.. i have a 2 year old border collie, had him since he was 12 weeks. Recently only in the past week, he's started weeing in the house. He only ever did this when he was a new puppy as we were training him and maybe once or twice since but it's always been by the back door. Now 3 times ive come downstairs to him having wee'd in his bed (we keep him in a crate) and today i got home and he's wee'd on the carpet which he's never done. I got him a new bed after the first time he had wee'd but he did it on the new one anyway.
This might be irrelevant but we've recently got a new sofa, we never allowed him up on the old one but turns out he was going up when we were out.. but this one I've put boxes on so he doesnt go up, after having it a few days he chewed up one of the new cushions (never chewed an old one). And this wee on the carpet was near the sofa as if he'd tried to cock his leg up but couldnt, which he still hasnt got the hang of.

He's going to the vets next week anyway for booster vacs but I just dont want to wake up to another incident. If anyone has any ideas of what it could be or what I could do that would be great!

The first thing is a vet check in case he has a urine infection. If possible, take a urine sample (I've never done this, but if you could have a flask at the ready on a walk and position it when he cocks his legs, that should work). Personally I'd take him now rather than wait till next week, partly because the sooner it's treated the less damage he'll do.

Does he seem his normal self the rest of the time? I can imagine the new sofa could make him want to wee on the sofa, as it doesn't smell 'right' to him, but I wouldn't have thought it would cause him to wee in his crate. It's possible he's generally upset because he can't go on the sofa now and all those boxes are scary - it might make life easier if when you're not there to supervise you cover the sofa with a blanket that smells 'right' and allow him to go on it. Some dogs simply don't (or choose not to) learn that 'Don't go on the sofa while I'm watching you' also means 'Don't go on the sofa while I'm not there' - their minds simply don't work that way.

But the priority is the vet check because behavioural interventions won't help if there is something medical going on.

It could be that he has urinary or some spinal compression, if you thinks so take him to the vets, as well as ruling out a urinary tract infection. Also are you in all day? Because he may need a wee in the day and you’re not there. Does he get high anxiety? Have you had a change in household?

Is he actually toileting and not just scent marking with a few drops of urine? When a clean dog starts to drop their housetraining, a vet visit is always the best step. He might have a urinary tract infection which means he just can't wait. Could you bring your appointment forward? He might be quite uncomfortable, and even distressed at being unable to hold his bladder.

Make sure the area is cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of scent that might tempt him to wee where he has done before.

If there is no medical reason, you might have to go right back to basics with training - out more often than he needs to keep his bladder empty, huge praise and reward for outdoor toilets, and no telling off or scolding for accidents (because they are just accidents) because that can cause dogs to fear your reaction to toileting and slink off to do it elsewhere - you want him to tell you, not avoid you.

Bit of cross posting going on there!

It could be that he has urinary or some spinal compression, if you thinks so take him to the vets, as well as ruling out a urinary tract infection. Also are you in all day? Because he may need a wee in the day and you’re not there. Does he get high anxiety? Have you had a change in household?

No, unfortunately we're both out for about 9 hours of the day, but he gets walked during the time we're out and later when we're home. He is quite a nervous dog sometimes but not usually around us. I'll try and take him to the vets sooner, thanks for the reply :)

The first thing is a vet check in case he has a urine infection. If possible, take a urine sample (I've never done this, but if you could have a flask at the ready on a walk and position it when he cocks his legs, that should work). Personally I'd take him now rather than wait till next week, partly because the sooner it's treated the less damage he'll do.

Does he seem his normal self the rest of the time? I can imagine the new sofa could make him want to wee on the sofa, as it doesn't smell 'right' to him, but I wouldn't have thought it would cause him to wee in his crate. It's possible he's generally upset because he can't go on the sofa now and all those boxes are scary - it might make life easier if when you're not there to supervise you cover the sofa with a blanket that smells 'right' and allow him to go on it. Some dogs simply don't (or choose not to) learn that 'Don't go on the sofa while I'm watching you' also means 'Don't go on the sofa while I'm not there' - their minds simply don't work that way.

But the priority is the vet check because behavioural interventions won't help if there is something medical going on.

Think you're right I'll have to try and get him in sooner. Yeah he's been himself, still eating and drinking as normal. Was thinking maybe tomorrow while we're out I'll try and keep him out of the living room, then he still has space but if he needs to go it will be on a hard floor. Thanks for the reply :)

Is he actually toileting and not just scent marking with a few drops of urine? When a clean dog starts to drop their housetraining, a vet visit is always the best step. He might have a urinary tract infection which means he just can't wait. Could you bring your appointment forward? He might be quite uncomfortable, and even distressed at being unable to hold his bladder.

Make sure the area is cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of scent that might tempt him to wee where he has done before.

If there is no medical reason, you might have to go right back to basics with training - out more often than he needs to keep his bladder empty, huge praise and reward for outdoor toilets, and no telling off or scolding for accidents (because they are just accidents) because that can cause dogs to fear your reaction to toileting and slink off to do it elsewhere - you want him to tell you, not avoid you.

Unfortunately no its been quite a significant amount, still trying to get the stain out now! Thanks for the advice, i'll try the praise etc next time he's out :)

No, unfortunately we're both out for about 9 hours of the day, but he gets walked during the time we're out and later when we're home. He is quite a nervous dog sometimes but not usually around us. I'll try and take him to the vets sooner, thanks for the reply :)
Yeah 9 hours is a lot!! You could try and invest in a dog walker @BorrowMyDoggy may help with this?...

Unfortunately no its been quite a significant amount, still trying to get the stain out now! Thanks for the advice, i'll try the praise etc next time he's out :)
Actually that to me sounds like it might be medical rather than behavioural, which would be easier to fix.

More costly than behavioural
Not necessarily. If it is a UTI you are talking about a consultation plus antibiotics. If you need to get support from a good behaviourist such as registered with COAPE / APBC charges are typically into three figures for an initial assessment / consultation with follow up visits, if needed, at a lower rate. Edited to add, insurance often covers this so don't panic @Katie__ if this is the route you need to take.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. If it is a UTI you are talking about a consultation plus antibiotics. If you need to get support from a good behaviourist such as registered with COAPE / APBC charges are typically into three figures for an initial assessment / consultation with follow up visits, if needed, at a lower rate.
Okay yeah good point well put!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back