The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bichon Frise Puppy -very Listless

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:rant: :rant: What kind of a "breeder" uses woodshavings!? :rant: :rant: Glad Henri feels better today,Yvette

Isnt it amazing what turns up in a Doggys Tum (w00t) .... Poor little Henri - glad theyve found the cause and lets hope hes soon on the mend poor little chap - hes far too young to be feeling ill - Good Luck Henri :luck: :luck:

Ahhh, bless him. No wonder he felt so bad. I hope she told the breeder what she thought of her "care". Still the main thing is, he is fine now. Well done Rae, for helping her. Have a large drink on K9 :cheers:

Oh I missed this.........Poor little thing, I am so glad you intervened, he could have died of dehydration in this heat in no time :(

She rang the breeder to tell her that he was admitted and kept in, pale gums, distended tummy - that is an official diagnosis from a vet.

The breeder has told her that she will not reimburse the vet bill as she should not have taken him - she panicked and there was nothing wrong with him :rant: and that she wished she had never sold her the dog :eek:

I think he would have died overnight if he'd been left in the kennels. :(

Anyway - he's ran her ragged today :lol: Much more like it :wub:

thats great news rae.wood shavings,for toy puppies,how stupid!should be on newspaper.that way theyre easier to housetrain too.prob is the print comes off on white pups like bichons but you can buy clean white shredded paper.i would get your recently widowed friend to send a letter to this unconcerned breeder telling her that as the pup was ill when she bought it she IS legally liable for all the vets fees.(1964 sale of goods act)and that if she doesnt pay it shell not just have a vets bill to pay but all the legal costs as well as there is NO DEFENCE IN LAW TO NEGLIGENCE!i get so angry when so called breeders do something like this.any breeder worthy of being called a breeder would pay the vets bill and show a bit of concern. :angry:

Rae said:
She rang the breeder to tell her that he was admitted and kept in, pale gums, distended tummy - that is an official diagnosis from a vet.
The breeder has told her that she will not reimburse the vet bill as she should not have taken him  - she panicked and there was nothing wrong with him  :rant:   and that she wished she had never sold her the dog  :eek:

I think he would have died overnight if he'd been left in the kennels.  :(

Anyway - he's ran her ragged today  :lol: Much more like it  :wub:

what a disgusting breeder - what, is she/he/it saying that the vet is wrong???? :rant: How patronising to say she panicked. That's just bullying tactics. I agree with Kris - a stiff letter is needed.

kris said:
thats great news rae.wood shavings,for toy puppies,how stupid!should be on newspaper.that way theyre easier to housetrain too.prob is the print comes off on white pups like bichons but you can buy clean white shredded paper.i would get your recently widowed friend to send a letter to this unconcerned breeder telling her that as the pup was ill when she bought it she IS legally liable for all the vets fees.(1964 sale of goods act)and that if she doesnt pay it shell not just have a vets bill to pay but all the legal costs as well as there is NO DEFENCE IN LAW TO NEGLIGENCE!i get so angry when so called breeders do something like this.any breeder worthy of being called a breeder would pay the vets bill and show a bit of concern. :angry:
Blimmin' 'eck, hope I never get on the wrong side of you Kris!

I totally agree though, and they shouldn't have bought the pup, it's just supporting these 'breeder's. Hate to think what would have happened if it had stayed there though. They might consider calling the local council and/or the kennel club (or just telling the breeder they're going to) just to get the wind up her ... why are there so many nasty people?! :angry:

thats a good idea too ilkc.might just have some effect.if the owner has 2 or more bitches that are capable of being bred from she should have a breeders licence.if not she can be threatened with being reported to the local council.the enviromental health might want to pay her a visit. :- " im not that frightening ilkc, :D i just hate to see folk getting ripped off especially with puppies,and if this lady has been recently widowed she cant afford to be landed with a vets bill when shes just bought her puppy in good faith. :( its not right!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that every puppy buyer not happy with the breeder should complain. There are too many people getting away with such a thing, because the new owner is just relieved their new puppy is OK after all and could not be bothered.

However, in the same time I am rather puzzled why this particular puppy was not well while the others were OK. Maybe the breeder did not keep them in wood shavings but left them run around and this particular one found some somewhere and decided to munch on them. Also, I would like to know how far this lady lives from the breeder, did she pick the puppy, or was it shipped? Was it a long trip? Puppies can go down very suddenly, and even if this pup was separated from it's mother for couple of weeks, the shock of separation from his siblings and familiar surroundings can make him unwell. Both Borzoi and Whippet puppies are especially prone to carsickness and together with the stress of being taken to their new homes they often get carsick and then diarrhea (sign of extreme stress). I always tell new owners to make sure their new puppy drinks and if they are not sure to syringe water down their throats.

As far as worms go, up to about 30 (???) years ago worming products for dogs were so severe that you could not give them to pups younger than 3 months. So that was when pups were wormed, they were sick usually for couple of days and passed huge amounts of mature worms :x . But they survived. I think if a puppy actually dies at young age there is something else also wrong with it. When i got my Bess she was full of worms, she was carsick the whole 1km drive home, vomiting worms and when we got home she also passed worms. The old man I got her from did not believe in things like worming or vaccinating, he told me straight out.. So i just wormed her as soon as she stopped vomiting and she was fine. She was almost 8 weeks old and did not even look skinny or in bad shape. Thes pics were taken the same day i got her.

Lida

Are the pups KC registered? If so a stiff letter to the Kennel Club might be an idea. Also you can make a claim through the small claims court. Poor little chap. What a good job the lady picked him up when she did. Another night in the kennels and he might have died.

Very glad to hear that the little pup is okay, the owner must be very relieved :))

Just had to say that your pics are gorgeous seraphina, especially the one with a borzoi playmate (w00t)

So glad you helped get this little guy sorted Rae! :thumbsup: :huggles: The Bichons I've known have been naughty little puppies and never listless! I can't believe the attitude of this breeder as you'd expect her to be pleased the pup's gone to such a caring new owner who got him sorted straight away!?! I suspect Henri's Mum won't want the hassle of court action if she's just been widowed, but I think sending a copy of the vet's report plus the bill to the breeder is a good idea cos then she can't be accused of panicking! :angry:

:huggles: to Henri and his mum. Any photos of the little chap? :)

The puppy only did a 30 min journey - and Rita did think he was quiet the day she went to see him - but the breeder said it was the heat and that he's just had a bath (now why does a 10 week old pup need a bath?)

It's possible that the other puppies had eaten the wood shavings too but had managed to pass them. She only saw one other puppy - not from the same litter, it was a few months older and was being kept as the next breeding bitch.

It's a good idea to report it to the council -I'll suggest that she does that too.

love those pics seraphina :wub: especially the one of the baby boxing! :D

Rae said:
The puppy only did a 30 min journey  - and Rita did think he was quiet the day she went to see him - but the breeder said it was the heat and that he's just had a bath (now why does a 10 week old pup need a bath?)
It's possible that the other puppies had eaten the wood shavings too but had managed to pass them. She only saw one other puppy - not from the same litter, it was a few months older and was being kept as the next breeding bitch.

It's a good idea to report it to the council -I'll suggest that she does that too.

I just feel that everybody has already decided that the breeder has definately done something wrong, without knowing the other side of this story. Extreme heat will make dogs quiet, the breeder may have not realise there is another reason. In any case 30minutes is a long drive for a little puppy, especially on a hot day, certainly enough to get a bit dehydrated. Bess started be sick as soon as we pulled out of the the man's street, and continued the whole 5 minutes drive home :x (w00t)

This puppy was properly wormed, it was only constipated. That may have been only partly coused by the wood shavings and partly by dehydration, maybe due to the combination of hot weather, car trip and inadequate fluid intake. Of-course the breeder should have been more helpful. And yes, i would definitely wash a Bichon puppy before handing him over to his new owners. I would also wash it before people come to look at him. White fluffy dogs are only white and fluffy when freshly washed. And i would certainly wash my longhaired dogs in a heat wave, just to keep them cool.

Glad the puppy is fine :thumbsup:

Lida

Must say that we always bath our collie pups on the day they are collected. Fluffy puppies are very mucky puppies (give me whippets and a wet one any day :lol: )

I think the new owners welcome a nice clean fluffy bundle :thumbsup:

The puppy wasnt dehydrated - he was drinking OK - but no pooing or weeing.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back