The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Big Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY ITS THE SAME THING THAT KEEPS GETTING PROPOSED

I SAY IF THEY FIT IN A WHIPPET TRAP LET THEM RUN

:D But as we are talking about WHIPPET racing not 99.9greyhound as people seem to be breeding them ,if your taking a 3/4 greyhond bitch to a 100%greyhound stud dog and expect to WHIPPET race this is wrong, i totally agree that if it was not the introduction of the greyhound into this sport for speed and stanima we might as well all be racing snails but when does it seize being whippet racing and become greyhound racing. the next thing you,ll get proposals going into the b.w.r.a and the n.w.r,f for bigger traps to suit these dogs

well said jeff thats ONE of the reasons why we should get back to the way we used to breed, whippet to greyhound , i know that whippets have greyhound in there breeding and we are likely to get through backs of 50+lb but at least you know where it as come from :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
if a proposal has been put forward to the bwra a.g.m to put a limit on no limit [sounds daft and is daft] it should be thrown out . it has taken long enough to get recognition for these dogs by the bwra there are more scratch dogs racing than there are in the light wieghts what are they supposed to do they pay their membership,entry fees etc; if they can fit in a trap wheres the problem . lets look at the other end of the scale if the scratch dogs are too big for the whippet tracks are the smaller dogs too small for the greyhound tracks and traps ,looking at some of the scaffolding some racers turn up with to shorten the traps with makes you wonder. Why don,t people stop all this petty back biting and get on with enjoying our hobby .

Well said Rowland, time after time when i read the topics in the K9 Community i am constantly reading reports of poor turn outs at the majority of the meetings. The sport seems to be on the decline and yet some narrow minded individuals want to reduce the numbers even more. If the government have their way hunting with dogs is going to be banned and i think that if that happens more and more people may want to get involved with racing. Surely the time may is right to add numbers to the sport and not to cause people to leave. What if the greyhound tracks refused to allow non ped whippets to run because they are not greyhounds?

Johng, breeding a 3/4 greyhound to a greyhound does not give a 99.9% greyhound...if you have ever bred whippets to greyhounds you would know this. No one is trying to breed no limit whippets which are like greyhounds in height and weight. I have a no limit whippet, she is 48lb and my local greyhound track have refused to allow me to trial the dog around their track because she is not a greyhound.

I have heard today that someone has proposed that the bwra buy a set of greyhound traps for the no limit dogs, i personal would like to know who would transport these to all the bwra opens, as if its proposed in then the new traps would have to be in use for no limit at all bwra event, not just the champs.

Ive got no problems with no limit dogs what ever the weight as long as the breeding of the dogs are made known, and as long as they can fit into a whippet trap.

As far as breeding a greyhound stud dog to a whippet , i don't see the differences in breeding a greyhound bitch to a whippet dog as far as size of off spring go, not that i would myself as i would be to afraid for a whippet brood bitch, but some have done it without and complications so far.

i think people are breeding to get whippets like greyhounds ,if you breed a 3/4 greyhound bitch and mate it to a 100%greyhound your not going to get a whippet anyway the subject is big dogs i love the big dogs they fantastic to watch, but if certain people want big WHIPPETSwhy go to a greyhound stud dog to breed litters from why not go to a big whippet, theres plenty about

theres some good dogs like hellbound, sugarfire,north to south and if you want heavier dogs go to son of a bitch,micky whizz, pems lad, minsters rocket i no most of these dogs are not at stud yet but at least there,s whippet in them and ther,s class in everyone of them, i,d rather have a pup of any one of these dog,s than a greyhound stud dog any day.

;) I agree with everything John G. has stated. There is NOTHING WRONG with the size of the "Whippets" it is the way in which they are bred. There are a lot of "No Linit" dogs/bitches racing todays that are nearly FULL greyhounds :oops: because of their breeding. As regards buying traps to suit these dogs that is the most ridiculous suggestion I've heard. Are we whippet racers or greyhound racers? :oops: Before anyone states otherwise YES I DO HAVE A NO LIMIT DOG but it is out of a 20lbs stud dog.. :p

:( honeybee they r not on about the way the dogs r bred they r on about once again putting a cap on the no limits hence on about the size of the no limits not the way they r bred. my own two no limits mickey whizz out of mickey mouse 22lb he weighs 50lb whisper whizz out of sole promise 26lb (i think) he weighs 48lb now.

as for getting bigger traps personally i wud love this as i have to fold mickey whizz up to get him in pmsl but i know this will never come off. it just gives us no limit racers something to moan about lol u know we like to moan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are the traps not too big at the moment anyway?......... :oops: ............they must be, cause quite a few people use kickboards on the straights as well as the bends. If they make them any bigger some of us will be able to get into the traps with our dogs and push them out of the traps when the lids lift, then we will all go down to the gym to get really strong arms to push them off even harder and some of us might even take steroids or caffeine or some of the other performance enhancing drugs to gain an unfair advantage and then we will introduce drug testing on the owners of the dogs as well as the dogs :clown: :clown: It's the drugs, they've gone to my head, everytime i go to inject my dog i miss and end up with a needle in my arm. :oops: :cheers: :clown:

If capping was bought in by any chance i would say that the dogs that are now registered and running should be allowed to still run until the end of there career.

This rule could not apply to them.

looks like there are a alot of people out there that enjoy watching the big uns run

could any tell me why certain people would like to see the big dogs done away with i persanly dont like racing the smaller whippets/lurchers/greyhound or what ever they are supposed to be.

if this topic regarding the big dogs keeps rearing its ugly head i suggest we all take a look at are sport and start again i mean lets go pedigree whippet racing.

what i am try to say its about time that these people with the smaller dogs that have no interest in the big uns keep the noses out and leave the no limit as it is.

i know everyone has there own thoughts on this subject but have they ever thought of asking the people that have the no limit dogs what they think.

i have just got 2 pups of gary farmer and if you people are going to try and stop me or any other owners of big dogs running i suggest you get ready for a ?.

got to go now must go and feed the pups now to help them grow just a little bit more or shall i not bother to feed them so i can meet certain peoples requirement.

dazgail i like your thoughts o:)

we have bought 3 dogs out of whippet x greyhound

shes a mystery 22lb as if 26lb time to fly 29lb

can someone please tell me how i can get a no limit :oops:

we love to watch them even better own one

get ready for a ?what sort of atitude is that? i say go and feed your pups, and watch em grow and then make you mouth go when you know how big they are going to be.we all in the same boat, i have one at the moment looking like a big dog but am not moaning till we start running her.if you want great big dogs go grayhound racing.becouse seems to me some people are only happy when they are trying to stur a bit shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii and no i am not against big dogs i have good mates who have good big dogs :cheers:

:) why not buy a set of greyhound traps for the no limit dogs, they could be kept at asfordby with all the bwra traps, it would also allow more dogs to join the bwra and run so get more money back in the bwra,

lets face it when all members had to pay the extra £5.00 on our membership the owners of no limit dogs were not exempt from paying that £5.00 because there dogs could not fit in the block traps and would never run at asfordby,so why not buy them a set of greyhound traps you would see some return on the money with more dogs competing

ray said:
we have bought 3 dogs out of whippet x greyhound shes a mystery 22lb  as if 26lb  time to fly 29lb

can someone please tell me how i can get a no limit  :oops:

we love to watch them  even better own one
ray see joe at easington he will give you greyhound and just say its out of a unraced whippet x greyhound nobody will ever know [LOL :oops:

kenny m said:
get ready for a ?what sort of atitude is that? i say go and feed your pups, and watch em grow and then make you mouth go when you know how big they are going to be.we all in the same boat, i have one at the moment looking like a big dog but am not moaning till we start running her.if you want great big dogs go grayhound racing.becouse seems to me some people are only happy when they are trying to stur a bit shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii and no i am not against big dogs i have good mates who have good big dogs :cheers:
already got some greyhounds and lets get it right i am not the causing all the shit

i think you should take a look who is causing all the bad feelings.

oh by the way i sill have a no limit dog racing untill my pups grow a wee little bit

oh forgot to mention i gave my pups abit more for there tea just to help them grow a little bit more.

i only race big dogs because its my prefferance kenny

kenny not moaning at all just fed up with all the crap that goes with having big dogs

:cheers:

:) it seem's that some are saying no-limit dogs are just greyhounds, all i can say is they can't be very good greyhounds, was it not a 32lb WHIPPET ( show three ) that took sup scr last year, or are you saying she's a greyhound :b i would say size as nothing to do with it, your dogs just have to be good enough to win, and alot are not ,

Last edited by a moderator:
fair comment graham, good luck with them m8 at the end of the day you might end up with 1big&small you never know, :thumbsup: and the crap m8 i know exactley were you coming from

kenny m said:
fair comment graham, good luck with them m8 at the end of the day you might end up with 1big&small you never know,  :thumbsup: and the crap m8 i know exactley were you coming from
cheers kenny hope all goes with your dogs.

r u anywere this weekend :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back