The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Agm

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
mutley said:
would not dream of starting a pup off till at least 8 month .bigger dogs especially with more greyhound in them,  again not until at least 9 to 11 months ,but  everyone is different in there views .luck has a lot to do with it also but growth plates are like the name says growth they need the time to do so imo :))
SOME BODY BEEN LISTEN TO ROB MEEK GARY (GROWTH PLATES) :- " :wacko: :thumbsup:

lol known what they are for a while now lyndon :- " had a few damage them over the years

dart said:
Ditto said:
Will it make a difference to the way they are trained or will people just wait longer and still train them the same?  My opinion is that its not so much the age the pups are started at but more to the point 'how' they are trained if started at an early age or later they still need to be trained properly before goin into races!  If pups are from 10-14 it doesnt mean puppy racing will be any better as people may well leave them to 9 months and still do the same amount of training in the last month to rush them to be ready for 10 months :eek: to me a pup is up to 12 months then an adult.  Yearlings (12-18) in theory is a good idea but to be honest the amount competing in lots of the yearling races, makes me wonder if yearlings are worth it. At 15months would it not be better in with adults opposed to keep having solo's in a yearling class and if the age range changes to 14-18 months that would make less dogs eligible for yearlings. :blink:
Injuries happen to both pups and adults alike and come sadly with the hobby, the thing needed is lots of good  :luck: and sensible training :- "

I HAVE BEEN THINK ABOUT THIS AND I CHANGE MY MIND FEW TIMES I AGREE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING UNFAIR TO RUN 14 MONTH OLD AGAIIN 10 MONTH PUPS BIG DIFFERENTS AT 14 MONTHS OLD BITCHS WIN OPENS.IF IT ISN;T BROKE DON;T FIX IT.

at 10 month of age they would be a little more mature :))

what's the difference with running a 8 month pup against a 12 month old pup,if a dog is good enough at 14 month then it should be running with the adults and not in the yearlings. :)

JOHNG said:
dart said:
Ditto said:
Will it make a difference to the way they are trained or will people just wait longer and still train them the same?  My opinion is that its not so much the age the pups are started at but more to the point 'how' they are trained if started at an early age or later they still need to be trained properly before goin into races!  If pups are from 10-14 it doesnt mean puppy racing will be any better as people may well leave them to 9 months and still do the same amount of training in the last month to rush them to be ready for 10 months :eek: to me a pup is up to 12 months then an adult.  Yearlings (12-18) in theory is a good idea but to be honest the amount competing in lots of the yearling races, makes me wonder if yearlings are worth it. At 15months would it not be better in with adults opposed to keep having solo's in a yearling class and if the age range changes to 14-18 months that would make less dogs eligible for yearlings. :blink:
Injuries happen to both pups and adults alike and come sadly with the hobby, the thing needed is lots of good  :luck: and sensible training :- "

I HAVE BEEN THINK ABOUT THIS AND I CHANGE MY MIND FEW TIMES I AGREE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING UNFAIR TO RUN 14 MONTH OLD AGAIIN 10 MONTH PUPS BIG DIFFERENTS AT 14 MONTHS OLD BITCHS WIN OPENS.IF IT ISN;T BROKE DON;T FIX IT.

what's the difference with running a 8 month pup against a 12 month old pup,if a dog is good enough at 14 month then it should be running with the adults and not in the yearlings. :)

SO WHAT YOU POINT 8 MOUTH AGAINST 12 MONTH BIG DIFFERENCE I PERSONALLY AFTER 14 MONTHS THEY SHOULD GO IN WITH ADULTS.

mutley said:
lol known what they are for a while now lyndon :- "  had a few damage them over the years
:D Gary remember when you said to get Ruby checked after her handslip at Dawdon? Her growth plates were not ready till she was 9 months old & thats the best advice we have ever had :D

Last edited by a moderator:
dart said:
JOHNG said:
dart said:
Ditto said:

SO WHAT YOU POINT 8 MOUTH AGAINST 12 MONTH BIG DIFFERENCE I PERSONALLY AFTER 14 MONTHS THEY SHOULD GO IN WITH ADULTS.

if they are good enough why not. this proposal is for the dogs safety / welfare in mind :thumbsup:

JOHNG said:
dart said:
JOHNG said:
dart said:
Ditto said:

if they are good enough why not. this proposal is for the dogs safety / welfare in mind :thumbsup:

kentucky started young cant se many adults beating him

you've been very lucky carol,i raced for 35 year and never had a dog break a leg or had a tibia crest injury,by being patient and not too keen to get them going :- "

HAVE TO AGREE ALL THE HEART ACHE OF WATHING A PUP BREAK A LEG BECAUSE THE OWNER HAS STARTED IT TO YOUNG

I HAVE HAD PUPS BREAK LEGS WITH JUST NORMAL FREE RUNNING .

THAT I CAN LIVE WITH IT HAPPENS

BRUCE BROKE HIS LEG AT NINE MONTHS OF AGE I WAS NOT GOING TO TRIAL HIM THAT DAY AND I STILL THINK IT WAS MY FAULT

I NOW LET MY PUPS BE PUPS JUST STARTED WILLLY AT 10 AND A HALF MONTHS AND TUCKER HALF GREYHOUND AT 13 MONTHS

HATE WATCHING PUPS RUN BUT THATS ME

:thumbsup: GARY

I shut my eyes the 1st couple of runs our pups have ...

Also think its a sensible proposal ...everyone to there own , but pups needed time to mature ...

len said:
mutley said:
lol known what they are for a while now lyndon :- "  had a few damage them over the years
:D Gary remember when you said to get Ruby checked after her handslip at Dawdon? Her growth plates were not ready till she was 9 months old & thats the best advice we have ever had :D

hi len i remember that m8 :cheers:

Its time people started thinking about their dogs instead of themselves.

Being IMPATIENT and running pups at 7 or 8 mths old is far to early, their bones are still soft & their joints havnt formed properly. Ive seen loads of good pups ruined by running them at an early age. You might be lucky and get away with it but on the other hand you might not.

Im not really bothered what other people do, if they want to run their pups early its up to them.

This is a good proposal, hope it gets passed.

johnnoble said:
Its time people started thinking about their dogs instead of themselves.Being IMPATIENT and  running pups at 7 or 8 mths old is far to early, their bones are still soft & their joints havnt formed properly.  Ive seen loads of good pups ruined by running them at an early age.  You might be lucky and get away with it but on the other hand you might not.

Im not really bothered what other people do, if they want to run their pups early its up to them.

This is a good proposal, hope it gets passed.

Agree totally that people should think about their dogs and be sensible about when to run their pups, but also think if the rule is passed for pups 10-14 months yearlings would be a waste of time, as not many run in them now and at 15 months then the dogs should be ready for adults. I am not saying some with more greyhound in don't take longer but like you say it is up to each individual. Also you might be lucky running adults and you might not its racing.

i think they pups to 12 months and ive seen some strong pups run well at 8 months and alot stronger than some 12 months they all different and alot is down to the trainer to get thm fit enough to run :thumbsup:

Just a question...................does the bwra or fed have any control over what age clubs allow pups to start racing at in their handicaps? If not, then perhaps it's clubs that should take some responsibility?

chris

THEY SAID IT WOULD ONLY DEPRESS YOU GRAHAM

SO THEY DIDNT SEND YOU A FORM LOL :clown:

GARY

PMSL GARY WHY WOULD IT DEPRESS ME ITS THE SAME EVERY YEAR.

SAME SHIT JUST A DIFFERENT YEAR.

GRAHAM PEM said:
PMSL GARY WHY WOULD IT DEPRESS ME ITS THE SAME EVERY YEAR.SAME SHIT JUST A DIFFERENT YEAR.

If you fill it in whilst sitting in sunlight graham it wont depress you as much :wacko:

chris

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back