The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Agm

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
debbie said:
DavidH said:
go on chris , your the first to bite, :thumbsup: though saying do away with the pups would get a few tapping. acca is still a very very good bitch, and roddy has to give her a yard on sat (w00t)

hows about making it a race chris and give me 4 :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :luck:

only 4 dave (w00t)

ill take any start, but to have to give her a yard. O NO. (w00t) :thumbsup: CAN HAVE A RACE WITH MR PEAK ANYWAY

DavidH said:
sadieandco said:
And what about the people who have got common sense and have got their pups going at "pup age" it isnt fair on them is it????Surley its only fair to let the owners decide when they see fit to run there pups...!!

the age limit is to try to get folks to start there dogs later,so it gives them time to get set up,i.m.o i like to take my time and they start in the yearling.

why not do away with the pups just have the yearlings 12 to 18 month.

why should a pup be racing at 8 month,responsible owner or not,beats me nothing to gain in puppy racing, but a lot to loose as you would like to get 4/ 5years out of them :thumbsup:

must admit there are some clever folks that seem to get theres going at a very early age :luck:

i think it should be left to the individual

some people enjoy puppy racing

wouldnt be fair to do away with puppy racing

i personally dont like watching the scratch racing

but im not trying to do away with it

everyone in racing puts their dog first

people will run their dogs when they are ready

im not a lover of puppy racing

normans only seen the track about a dozen times

hes 15months

but i would knock anyone who likes to start pups early

thats 1 of the things that keeps the sport interesting

stuart worcs said:
DavidH said:
sadieandco said:
And what about the people who have got common sense and have got their pups going at "pup age" it isnt fair on them is it????Surley its only fair to let the owners decide when they see fit to run there pups...!!

the age limit is to try to get folks to start there dogs later,so it gives them time to get set up,i.m.o i like to take my time and they start in the yearling.

why not do away with the pups just have the yearlings 12 to 18 month.

why should a pup be racing at 8 month,responsible owner or not,beats me nothing to gain in puppy racing, but a lot to loose as you would like to get 4/ 5years out of them :thumbsup:

must admit there are some clever folks that seem to get theres going at a very early age :luck:

i think it should be left to the individual

some people enjoy puppy racing

wouldnt be fair to do away with puppy racing

i personally dont like watching the scratch racing

but im not trying to do away with it

everyone in racing puts their dog first

people will run their dogs when they are ready

im not a lover of puppy racing

normans only seen the track about a dozen times

hes 15months

but i would knock anyone who likes to start pups early

thats 1 of the things that keeps the sport interesting

i hate it when i do the lure and folks say if the dog losses it stop it (w00t) could be to late,as you are driving the lure you seem sort of responsible if they were injuryed and have seen some owners blame the lure driver sad but true.ask your self was it to far in front,could i have stopped it quicker personally if they loss there legs its to late to stop as they have lost it.grit your teeth time.

I say leave it as it is :thumbsup: As i said earlier upping the age limit will not stop people racing young pups at their club regardless, i do think some owness is on other club members to voice their concerns to the owners involved if they know pups are too immature/injured and the owner is pushing them for full distance.

I think clearing trials should be carried out at BWRA affiliated club as they do in ped racing (i meant to put this in as a proposal :oops: ) and dogs have their card stamped once they have proved to be clean, year after year you see the same people running different pups/yearlings that fight, so obviously not much schooling is being done at club level. I don't think it necessarily boils down to running pups too young, it's running them without proper training that causes the majority of accidents.

DavidH said:
i think he will wonder what he is behind, she has some finish.hopefully if he gets out he will be able to keep you in sight.he can only do his best,against  a classy bitch.

best of luck dave :thumbsup:   :luck:

Poor Blaze doesn't even get to run in the veterans and she's almost six (w00t) and had pups :blink: .

I did wonder about pulling out the adult super-leagues and running in the Cons. veterans but I think that would just be rude :( (and may not be allowed).

ahorsnall said:
maybe if you think its cruel running pups we should stop running vets too as if they to young surely they too old  :D
Shhhhhh don't tell Kerri (Connor's Lass) she's 7, had 3 litters, and still going :D . I remember Captain Blade at nine years of age still going strong and winning veteran races, he could jump at high as Julie's shoulders too :thumbsup: .

Vicky said:
I say leave it as it is  :thumbsup: As i said earlier upping the age limit will not stop people racing young pups at their club regardless, i do think some owness is on other club members to voice their concerns to the owners involved if they know pups are too immature/injured and the owner is pushing them for full distance.I think clearing trials should be carried out at BWRA affiliated club as they do in ped racing (i meant to put this in as a proposal :oops: ) and dogs have their card stamped once they have proved to be clean, year after year you see the same people running different pups/yearlings that fight, so obviously not much schooling is being done at club level.  I don't think it necessarily boils down to running pups too young, it's running them without proper training that causes the majority of accidents.

AT LAT COMMON SENSE WELL SAID VICKY

MAYBE IT COULD BE PROPOSED IN ANY OTHER BUSSINESS @ THE MEETING

Vicky said:
I say leave it as it is  :thumbsup: As i said earlier upping the age limit will not stop people racing young pups at their club regardless, i do think some owness is on other club members to voice their concerns to the owners involved if they know pups are too immature/injured and the owner is pushing them for full distance.I think clearing trials should be carried out at BWRA affiliated club as they do in ped racing (i meant to put this in as a proposal :oops: ) and dogs have their card stamped once they have proved to be clean, year after year you see the same people running different pups/yearlings that fight, so obviously not much schooling is being done at club level.  I don't think it necessarily boils down to running pups too young, it's running them without proper training that causes the majority of accidents.

I would be inclined to agree with most points -----i would also add that i think puppy races should only have two pups running together as all to often you get races /pups spoilt --and its hard to atribute blame with more than two ===

much easier to see who is doing what with just two in race---and there are not that many races with pups any way=

steve

kipper fluke said:
Vicky said:

I would be inclined to agree with most points -----i would also add that i think puppy races should only have two pups running together as all to often you get races /pups spoilt --and its hard to atribute blame with more than two ===

much easier to see who is doing what with just two in race---and there are not that many races with pups any way=

steve

sensible ideas there rather that upping the age limit. i know it wont stop me if i have a pup ready to race @ 8 months old then il race it in the handicap. good ideas from both vicky and steve that wud b interesting to only have 2 pups in a race.

sadieandco said:
Was gunna say the same thing Chris!Some pups are ready some are not so why Make the ones that are ready to race  wait ????

I say leave things alone to much is trying to be changed in whippet racing !!

I AGREE LEAVE THINGS HAS THEY ARE PUPS HAVE BEEN RACE LIKE THIS FOR YEARS OWNER NEED TO LOOK AT GETTING THERE PUP FIT BEFORE PUTTING THEM BEHIND A LURE. I HAVE WATCH OWNER SCHOOLING PUPS AND YOU CAN SEE THEY HAVE HAD NO WORK AND I LIKE JELLY THE ABOVE OWNER DON;T THINK THEY NEED TELLING AT WHAT AGE THERE PUPS SHOULD BE RACED THERE DOGS ARE A CREDIT AND YOU NO IF YOUR IN A RACE WITH THEM YOUR DOG HAS GOT TO RUN WELL TO BEAT THEM.JUST MY VIEW. :thumbsup:

Vicky said:

Couldn't agree more. We've seen pups having handslips at the club with their legs everywhere and straight away the owners have been told to wait till they've got a better co-ordinated running action. No-one takes offence as they can see for themselves and it's always an all round agreement for them to wait. We also go out of our way to announce on here dogs that have ran clean and been deemed clear for racing. It's a team effort and we support each other as such and continue to support those dogs throughout their racing careers.

Far too many a time I've hear other club members comment that a dog's not running clear at a club after it's ran dodgy in a racing event. Pointless telling me, you should be voicing your opinions with the owner.

Wonder how many would pull their dog out? I did and whilst some felt I was mad, I did get an overwhelming amount of support and admiration which helped me immensly. I also should acknowledge those who went out their way to defend him when some kind soul was circulating derogatory rumours about him. ;)

Just goes to show how worthwhile being part of a team really is. :)

So why some say it should be up to the owner, I disagree I think it should be up to the club and they should be willing to put their name on the line for it.

i

have seen too many dogs burnt out because of over running them too early ,i don't care how well a pup is running at 6/7/8/ month ,the bones are still knitting together,do you not realise that a lot of young dogs have shown promise at an early age and then fell by the wayside ( i can name a few ) but i won't. just because they have been raced too early . i know this proposal won't stop people from running them at club level,but it's a step in the right direction.

i think the people who kicking up against it must have pup that will be too young if it is passed to enter the BWRA puppy champs, think of your dog and not yourself for a change.

how many times do go to race meeting and see dogs in two events.

i.e. puppy and yearlings.

i.e.yearlings and adults

JOHNG said:
ihave seen too many dogs burnt out because of over running them too early ,i don't care how well a pup is running at 6/7/8/ month ,the bones are still knitting together,do you not realise that a lot of young dogs have shown promise at an early age and then fell by the wayside ( i can name a few ) but i won't. just because they have been raced too early . i know this proposal won't stop people from running them at club level,but it's a step in the right direction.

i think the people who kicking up against it must have pup that will be too young if it is passed to enter the BWRA puppy champs, think of your dog and not yourself for a change.

i.e.yearlings and adults

i think puppy championships have nothing to do with it

if people want to run their dogs

what right have others got to stop them

like i said in earlier post puppy racing not for me

but each to their own

stuart worcs said:
JOHNG said:
ihave seen too many dogs burnt out because of over running them too early ,i don't care how well a pup is running at 6/7/8/ month ,the bones are still knitting together,do you not realise that a lot of young dogs have shown promise at an early age and then fell by the wayside ( i can name a few ) but i won't. just because they have been raced too early . i know this proposal won't stop people from running them at club level,but it's a step in the right direction.

i.e.yearlings and adults

i think puppy championships have nothing to do with it

if people want to run their dogs

what right have others got to stop them

like i said in earlier post puppy racing not for me

but each to their own

i agree and i havent even got a pup lol :thumbsup:

common sense,no dogs are the same,i have 2 out the same litter,the bitch runs in races,the dogs not ready i was told a few weeks ago that he was still growing they 16 month now,and hes only 31lb.if you run them youl do a growth plate,end of,story,,,mind you he has a look,so we wont put him in a race till he goes up true,its suppriseing how many owners puts dogs in a race when they know the dogs are not ready,and they could and do spoil someone elses hard work,i have never ran in puppy,champs i would rather wait and have a decent adult,than have a good pup,,knack it up and it wont see an adult race,,i have seen it and i will see it again.my young dogs are ran against my own dogs then club dogs then,when we think there ready they are raced,i have never had any problems,,,this is just my way of doing things,we are not all the same,, :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back