The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Agm

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
wild whippies said:
Vicky said:
I say leave it as it is  :thumbsup: As i said earlier upping the age limit will not stop people racing young pups at their club regardless, i do think some owness is on other club members to voice their concerns to the owners involved if they know pups are too immature/injured and the owner is pushing them for full distance.I think clearing trials should be carried out at BWRA affiliated club as they do in ped racing (i meant to put this in as a proposal :oops: ) and dogs have their card stamped once they have proved to be clean, year after year you see the same people running different pups/yearlings that fight, so obviously not much schooling is being done at club level.  I don't think it necessarily boils down to running pups too young, it's running them without proper training that causes the majority of accidents.

Couldn't agree more. We've seen pups having handslips at the club with their legs everywhere and straight away the owners have been told to wait till they've got a better co-ordinated running action. No-one takes offence as they can see for themselves and it's always an all round agreement for them to wait. We also go out of our way to announce on here dogs that have ran clean and been deemed clear for racing. It's a team effort and we support each other as such and continue to support those dogs throughout their racing careers.

Far too many a time I've hear other club members comment that a dog's not running clear at a club after it's ran dodgy in a racing event. Pointless telling me, you should be voicing your opinions with the owner.

Wonder how many would pull their dog out? I did and whilst some felt I was mad, I did get an overwhelming amount of support and admiration which helped me immensly. I also should acknowledge those who went out their way to defend him when some kind soul was circulating derogatory rumours about him. ;)

Just goes to show how worthwhile being part of a team really is. :)

So why some say it should be up to the owner, I disagree I think it should be up to the club and they should be willing to put their name on the line for it.

I'm sure you remember our conversation at the time when Dobs was having bother :thumbsup: . I'm just so glad you got the support from fellow racers, the NW is obviously a region that is very supportive of it's members. I'm afraid sometimes people are far too willing to shrug their shoulders, keep quiet and leave people to try and sort things out for themselves.

wild whippies said:
Vicky said:
I say leave it as it is  :thumbsup: As i said earlier upping the age limit will not stop people racing young pups at their club regardless, i do think some owness is on other club members to voice their concerns to the owners involved if they know pups are too immature/injured and the owner is pushing them for full distance.I think clearing trials should be carried out at BWRA affiliated club as they do in ped racing (i meant to put this in as a proposal :oops: ) and dogs have their card stamped once they have proved to be clean, year after year you see the same people running different pups/yearlings that fight, so obviously not much schooling is being done at club level.  I don't think it necessarily boils down to running pups too young, it's running them without proper training that causes the majority of accidents.

Couldn't agree more. We've seen pups having handslips at the club with their legs everywhere and straight away the owners have been told to wait till they've got a better co-ordinated running action. No-one takes offence as they can see for themselves and it's always an all round agreement for them to wait. We also go out of our way to announce on here dogs that have ran clean and been deemed clear for racing. It's a team effort and we support each other as such and continue to support those dogs throughout their racing careers.

Far too many a time I've hear other club members comment that a dog's not running clear at a club after it's ran dodgy in a racing event. Pointless telling me, you should be voicing your opinions with the owner.

Wonder how many would pull their dog out? I did and whilst some felt I was mad, I did get an overwhelming amount of support and admiration which helped me immensly. I also should acknowledge those who went out their way to defend him when some kind soul was circulating derogatory rumours about him. ;)

So why some say it should be up to the owner, I disagree I think it should be up to the club and they should be willing to put their name on the line for it.

Jac,Dobs is a credit to your time and patience,with him :thumbsup: Agree with you that clubs should play a big part in schooling of pups,thats where our dogs start off there racing careers,and thats where we need to get it right in the first place.There are enough experienced racers at each of the clubs to be able to offer advice to folk :thumbsup:

JOHNG said:
ihave seen too many dogs burnt out because of over running them too early ,i don't care how well a pup is running at 6/7/8/ month ,the bones are still knitting together,do you not realise that a lot of young dogs have shown promise at an early age and then fell by the wayside ( i can name a few ) but i won't. just because they have been raced too early . i know this proposal won't stop people from running them at club level,but it's a step in the right direction.

i think the people who kicking up against it must have pup that will be too young if it is passed to enter the BWRA puppy champs, think of your dog and not yourself for a change.

how many times do go to race meeting and see dogs in two events.

i.e. puppy and yearlings.

i.e.yearlings and adults

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: you do pick up on some good reasons,thats never been mentioned, totally agree :thumbsup: and for telling folks waste of time,they think you getting at them.there was a pup that was trialing at 61/2 month and was unbelievable,it went to the owners head . and it end up broken leg, pet home.

the breeder was :rant: :rant: as the bloke would not take note,should of be put away to mature. ( sad but true)

Last edited by a moderator:
rodders said:
wild whippies said:
Vicky said:

Jac,Dobs is a credit to your time and patience,with him :thumbsup: Agree with you that clubs should play a big part in schooling of pups,thats where our dogs start off there racing careers,and thats where we need to get it right in the first place.There are enough experienced racers at each of the clubs to be able to offer advice to folk :thumbsup:

anyone can give advice its whether the person receiving the advice takes any notice. @ the end of the day its up to the owner wot they do with their own dog, i personally wud listen to advice but i know not everyone wud.

We had someone run at Dawdon with a 6 month old. They ran it once 80yds and he ran well. They asked for another run I told them to leave it but they insisted on the run and the dog broke its tibia and never ran again. thats why now I won't do the lure for a pup under 8 months. Some people you can give advice to but not all take it. What annoys me is walking up the track with someone saying its there dogs first time with other dogs. It may be just me but that should be done at the club not at an open.

sharon whincop said:
What annoys me is walking up the track with someone saying its there dogs first time with other dogs. It may be just me but that should be done at the club not at an open.
I agree, what would possess anyone to run an unproven dog in an open race? Pure selfishness. :wacko:

Have read comments about pups and wondered what people made of the one about registering litters before they are 6 weeks old otherwise they cant register. What happens to those people who buy a whippet greyhound from a non racing background, like we did blitz, and then find it can fly like the wind and want to race it. Arent we limiting the gene pool by doing so?

chris

rob67 said:
Have read comments about pups and wondered what people made of the one about registering litters before they are 6 weeks old otherwise they cant register. What happens to those people who buy a whippet greyhound from a non racing background, like we did blitz, and then find it can fly like the wind and want to race it. Arent we limiting the gene pool by doing so?
chris

As one of the people who put in a proposal of this nature i should say it wasn't my intention to narrow the gene pool, in the instance you say if it was up to me the dog would go before the national committee for them to agree the dog wasn't a full greyhound and the breeding be registered as unknown, i don't feel we should be turning anyone away from race events with a non greyhound dog and fitting the description "whippet like in appearance".

Think something needs to be done to regulate the breeding and registering, and appreciate the fact that people are being creative to achieve this, but considering people cant agree now on what is whippet like in appearance, not sure if this would be resolved. Just worried it would stop those people who might want to try the sport from coming into it.

I know i'm prob being thick, but how do you prove a whippet is not a greyhound? :)

chris

rob67 said:
Think something needs to be done to regulate the breeding and registering, and appreciate the fact that people are being creative to achieve this, but considering people cant agree now on what is whippet like in appearance, not sure if this would be resolved. Just worried it would stop those people who might want to try the sport from coming into it.
I know i'm prob being thick, but  how do you prove a whippet is not a greyhound? :)

chris

definition of a greyhound.

fastest dog,narrow head,long neck,deep chest, muscular hindquarters, long slim tail,short smooth coat, variour colours,stands between 25 ins to 27 ins, weight 60 to 80 lb.

whippet

any breed of swift dog short haired ,fine boned sleek. developed in england for racing.resembles the greyhound but smaller, :thumbsup: there you go chris :wacko: (and here we go again) so a whippet must be less than 25 in and under 60 lb going by this:wacko: waiting for all the scratchers to fly in

DavidH said:
rob67 said:
I know i'm prob being thick, but  how do you prove a whippet is not a greyhound? :)

chris

fastest dog,narrow head,long neck,deep chest, muscular hindquarters, long slim tail,short smooth coat, variour colours,stands between 25 ins to 27 ins, weight 60 to 80 lb.

whippet

any breed of swift dog short haired ,fine boned sleek. developed in england for racing.resembles the greyhound but smaller, :thumbsup: there you go chris :wacko: (and here we go again) so a whippet must be less than 25 in and under 60 lb going by this:wacko: waiting for all the scratchers to fly in

lol,gan on daveyyyyyyyyy,,ding ding.round 1 (w00t)

rob67 said:

chris

Whippet like in appearance

THE WHIPPET

Head like a snake

Neck like a drake

Feet like a cat

Tail like a rat

Side like a bream

Back like a beam/

how will that do?

steve :thumbsup:

isnt that the owner steve (w00t)

THE WHIPPET

Head like a snake

Neck like a drake

Feet like a cat

Tail like a rat

Side like a bream

Back like a beam/

Thanks for the help in deciding what the difference is..................kinda think the similarities are greater than the differences tho!! Not sure what a bream looks like mind, tho I know it's a fish..............but they all look the same to me !! Big googly eyes and smell of fish :lol:

chris

Karen-Coral said:
rob67 said:

chris

Whippet like in appearance

THE WHIPPET

Head like a snake

Neck like a drake

Feet like a cat

Tail like a rat

Side like a bream

Back like a beam/

how will that do?

steve :thumbsup:

Thanks for putting that description up Steve, its always used for salukis too but Im darned if I can ever remember all the words.......old age creeping up :)

rob67 said:
THE WHIPPET                                                                       
Head like a snake

Neck like a drake

Feet like a cat

Tail like a rat

Side like a bream

Back like a beam/

Thanks for the help in deciding what the difference is..................kinda think the similarities are greater than the differences tho!!  Not sure what a bream looks like mind, tho I know it's a fish..............but they all look the same to me !! Big googly eyes and smell of fish :lol:

chris

like one of those you get round the corner ,without the batter :thumbsup: like a small carp largish scales. nice ryme

rob67 said:
THE WHIPPET                                                                       
Head like a snake

Neck like a drake

Feet like a cat

Tail like a rat

Side like a bream

Back like a beam/

Thanks for the help in deciding what the difference is..................kinda think the similarities are greater than the differences tho!!  Not sure what a bream looks like mind, tho I know it's a fish..............but they all look the same to me !! Big googly eyes and smell of fish :lol:

chris

Thought you would be well informed on FISH ----with the signature at the bottom of your postings---

I know what a KIPPER looks like !!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL--split or otherwise

steve

rob67 said:

chris

21" height limit will sort a lot out :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back