The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Champs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
John i agree with you it should be more central , but i personally will make the most of where ever its at,not my decision where its held, take it up with the bwra committee

I think it is very unfortunate that by making the Championships a non camping event, it has taken the sport out of the reach of a lot of people who would usually attend, for one thing it is very far for us to travel to we would probably have to travel to the event over two days, and the same home again which would mean more time from work, more petrol funds and then money for caravan park.

Although George and I may be in the position to do this I remember how it used to be when we had a young family, they hated the travelling and I could imagine how hard it would have been getting three young kids up ready breakfasted (along with whippets) to a race track where they would all day tell you they were bored and ask when they were going back to the caravan. Then the extra money needed for the weekend would have been hard to find.

Although we constantly promote Whippet Racing as a Family Sport it seems with this decision these will be the very people who may not be able to attend this years champs.

Ironic is it not??

Val

there wont be many there i dont think

pity coz it was a good weekend :b

I know some of you think that if you leave in the South you all live round the corner to one another but I can assure you we do not, in fact it takes us about five hours from Thurrock to get to Worcester with a caravan and we have to travel across country a good part of the journey on the M25. I also feel it was very nice of Amanda to put herself out with the Council for the BWRA to hold the Championships at Worcester as the BWRA was running out of time. This in no way means it will be there every year but lets stop moaning and be grateful for a change. Do you realize that the Chairman and Bill Hopkins got up at 5 o,clock in the morning to collect the block scratch traps from Swallownest and the rest of the BWRA equipment from Ashfordby as they had been ask move them. They were taken to Moretin-on-the-Marsh ready for this years event to be told that Moretin-on-the-Marsh had double booked and now a member of the BWRA has been kind enough to store them for the Committee and what appreciation do they get?

Just trying to explain the situation the way I know it is.

Sheila

Last edited by a moderator:
cant believe that the chapionships isnt going to be a week end event especially in its 40th year! cant believe it. i dont think it will be no where near as good as the atmosphere wont be there. if everyone has to be up early to get there for the day. wont be relaxed as it usually is.

forgot to add

i dont think it would be the same if you win suprume, just getting ure trophy + photo after the racing then driving back home. isnt right is it, i remember when it was voted in just a few years ago then they tried it one year at ashfordby and it was c**p.

piglet said:
forgot to add
i dont think it would be the same if you win suprume, just getting ure trophy +  photo after the racing then driving back home. isnt right is it, i remember when it was voted in just a few years ago then they tried it one year at ashfordby and it was c**p.

Yes, I agree It would be better if people could camp but who would have us?

I think the BWRA are to be congratulated for getting us somewhere at all, perhaps Devon on the week-end before would have been nice but that was further still south. At least Worcester is near the Midlands, very comfortable for people around Old Hall etc. At Sheila said a long long journey from Thurrock. Myself will have a 3 hour journey each way. At least its only half as long as I would have if I made it to the FED champs at Swallownest this year.

rocky said:
piglet said:
forgot to add
i dont think it would be the same if you win suprume, just getting ure trophy +  photo after the racing then driving back home. isnt right is it, i remember when it was voted in just a few years ago then they tried it one year at ashfordby and it was c**p.

Yes, I agree It would be better if people could camp but who would have us?

I think the BWRA are to be congratulated for getting us somewhere at all, perhaps Devon on the week-end before would have been nice but that was further still south. At least Worcester is near the Midlands, very comfortable for people around Old Hall etc. At Sheila said a long long journey from Thurrock. Myself will have a 3 hour journey each way. At least its only half as long as I would have if I made it to the FED champs at Swallownest this year.

dont know where would have for a weekend event.but there will be somewhere that will have us. but i am sure members should be advised where in question is available. not just making the decision that its at worcester and thats it!

Don't see why they carn't use Swallownest why should all members suffer. After all the BWRA still ran at a track I was banned from a few years ago.

the bwra have NOT been refused swallownest for the champs weekend , but there would be a restriction I'm sure they are doing there best but i understand peoples frustration with young families etc the fed made allowances for two non fed members to use the venue and they abused it last year im sure if the bwra approached the nnwrf through the right channels something could of been arranged i didnt really see your moan john until i thought about it and understand were your coming from.

Regarding the Championship weekend event - it is a great shame that no venue can be found that will cater for the Caravans any more. This is not the fault of the BWRA/and or Committee because in the past certain members have abused these venues and now unfortunately the "Whippet people" are no longer welcome - hence no caravan venues left for such events.

Years ago Championships used to be on one day with 2 tracks running - dogs on one and bitches on the other. There were no caravan facilities then and people accepted the racing as it was and enjoyed the racing even though they have to make the journey in one day.

In the Midlands there are only 2 Clubs/tracks left and that is Worcester and Old Hall W.R.C.

There is no reason why this weekend cannot be made into a holiday and people would have to book onto Caravan Sites in and around the Worcester area - or wherever the racing may be held. Afterall there are a lot of caravan sites to be found - especially if you are a member of the Caravan Club and/or the Camping & Caravan Club who supply you with a book listing all their sites up and down the Country. These C.L. sites, without electric hook-up charge as little as £3.00, per night depending where the site is. The Club sites are a lot cheaper than the "Commercial" sites.

IMO the BWRA have been working hard trying to find a venue and they need support not criticism - afterall they cannot please everybody. Unfortunately some members have to travel further than others and the Sport is now becoming more expensive with the higher costs of fuel etc. :thumbsup:

what about scotland there members have got a right say in this matter.i feel so sorry for them they make us english very welcome up there. so come on the bwra commitee have pity :rant: :rant: :rant: you gonna loss members up there.theres being no thought gone into this matter.long live whippet racing. well dont no about that anymore sick as fxxk

decca said:
what about scotland there members have got a right say in this matter.i feel so sorry for them they make us english very welcome up there. so come on the bwra commitee have pity :rant:   :rant:   :rant: you gonna loss members up there.theres being no thought gone into this matter.long live whippet racing. well dont no about that anymore sick as fxxk
yeah us too decca we're sick but we'll enjoy ourselves elsewhere (w00t) :cheers:

Im sure A & t MINERS offerd, theres loads of space for campers there

the bwra championship,s,,,,,,,,,,??????,,,,,,,,,just call it the english championships 2007,,,,,,,,,,because it has well been put out off reach for the scottish member,s of the bwra :rant:

tanglewood said:
I think it is very unfortunate that by making the Championships a non camping event, it has taken the sport out of the reach of a lot of people who would usually attend, for one thing it is very far for us to travel to we would probably have to travel to the event over two days, and the same home again which would mean more time from work, more petrol funds and then money for caravan park.
Although George and I may be in the position to do this I remember how it used to be when we had a young family, they hated the travelling and I could imagine how hard it would have been getting three young kids up ready breakfasted (along with whippets) to a race track where they would all day tell you they were bored and ask when they were going back to the caravan. Then the extra money needed for the weekend would have been hard to find.

Although we constantly promote Whippet Racing as a Family Sport it seems with this decision these will be the very people who may not be able to attend this years champs.

Ironic is it not??

Val

I agree. like I said it will be like dragging my two boys to the dentist they will be bored silly and do my head in all day.

JOAN only 2 clubs in the midlands???? isnt blidworth, maltby, manton, swallownest, asfordby all in the midlands? :blink:

like i said b4 for a non camping event any club cud have held it why worcester? im not knocking worcesters track as its lovely but why there cud have been anywhere with no camping? :blink:

for most it's not the distance if the camping was on site. It costs people a lot of money to start with without paying upto £20 a night for camping. People with kids( who we want in the sport) find it hard when you not on site the kids get board and when your caravans away from the track they carn't go just sit in it.

We know the comm. work hard looking for these places I for 1 won't knock them I know what its like to run a club. But as Gary said they have not been refused Swallownest. Why should most members suffer. Like I said earlyer they still races at a club when I couldn't run my dog. What I was told was that was the club rule and they had to stick to it. whats good for 1 should be good for another.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back