The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Racing

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
definately name,ban the the people concerned. the minority spoiling it for the marjority.these weekend is more of a holiday to us. enjoy the racing/ the crack/get your feet up,have a drink with other whippers,chill out (GREAT) 8)

The idea of camping some where else,in summer will take it out of the dogs left to long in vehicles.Would take the shine off the events. Better off looking for alternative venue in the midlands(CENTRAL) with camping and facilitys :D

Honeybee said:
Gary, you are obviously referring to myself, as I referred to people as "thugs".  To me, people who leave their rubbish laying about, do not clean up and generally cause problems IMO are thugs.  You may call "thugs" the litter louts of the streets of today, but I use the word generally to people who disrespect others and show no respect for venues like Asfordby.  :oops:

i wasn't referring to you Joan sorry :)) nice to see you on k9 again :thumbsup:

sherry said:
as far as im aware this is all just peoples opinions and as doreen hopkins stated right @ the begining of the thread we have lost the venue due to the race meeting gettiing too big. i for one will believe that until im told officailly otherwise.  :D
i think your right Carrol the venue was too big to fit in with all other things going on at the club, but i do think the money put the final nail in so to speak.

I also have to agree with you carol :D I think the club has a lot of weekend events and am inclined to believe what Doreen has told us untill told otherwise :))

DavidH said:
definately name,ban the the people concerned. the minority spoiling it for the marjority.these weekend is more of a holiday to us. enjoy the racing/ the crack/get your feet up,have a drink with other whippers,chill out (GREAT) 8)
The idea of camping some where else,in summer will take it out of the dogs left to long in vehicles.Would take the shine off the events. Better off looking for alternative venue in the midlands(CENTRAL) with camping and facilitys :D

Dave dont you think enough banning has gone on over the years :( time to look ahead and make the sport better like it was a good few years back :)) i agree with the camping away from the track a lot of sites only allow a couple of pets i know as my brother goes all over the place caravaning, he has 3 pet whippets and is turned away quite a bit so imagine if us lot turned up, loadsa whippies per van mmmmmmmm lol. just like to say the last fighting been refereed too at fed champs was more of a domestic which the owners of the club had no problem with and were happy to let the committee deal with as they saw fit.it was no big deal really but as kris said reading this makes it look bad .

Karen and for anyone else that is wondering why you haven't seen us with our dogs. Yes, we have finished racing after 35 years in the sport. I'm afraid we just didn't like the way the sport was progressing with all the agro etc. so we have called "it a day"

Honeybee said:
Karen and for anyone else that is wondering why you haven't seen us with our dogs.  Yes, we have finished racing after 35 years in the sport.  I'm afraid we just didn't like the way the sport was progressing with all the agro etc. so we have called "it a day"
All the very best for the future Joan and Michele, we know just how you feel.

JoJess said:
tanyia said:
weathergirls said:
IT IS THE CAMPING SIDE THAT HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN IS IT NOT, THE ACTUAL VENUE IS STILL THERE , IS IT POSSIBLE TO ARRANGE WITH A LOCAL CAMPSITE TO ACCOMMODATE THE CARAVANS AND TENTS
Ive only found one campsite for caravans , tents and thay take dogs, thay have showers and toilets. But it would mean a 35 minute drive there and back its about 24.5 miles from the track, but I have no idea how many caravans thay could take.

Found out any more Pauline about this site ??

If enough sites are willing to take racers the info has been sent to Doreen, Ive looked for places that have entertainment for children as well as showers and toilets.

But you will not be able to leave dogs unattented on the sites at any time. Dogs will have to be under control queit and supervised at all times. Finding another venue for these events if camping I think is highly unlikely.

tanyia said:
JoJess said:
tanyia said:
weathergirls said:
IT IS THE CAMPING SIDE THAT HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN IS IT NOT, THE ACTUAL VENUE IS STILL THERE , IS IT POSSIBLE TO ARRANGE WITH A LOCAL CAMPSITE TO ACCOMMODATE THE CARAVANS AND TENTS
Ive only found one campsite for caravans , tents and thay take dogs, thay have showers and toilets. But it would mean a 35 minute drive there and back its about 24.5 miles from the track, but I have no idea how many caravans thay could take.

Found out any more Pauline about this site ??

If enough sites are willing to take racers the info has been sent to Doreen, Ive looked for places that have entertainment for children as well as showers and toilets.

But you will not be able to leave dogs unattented on the sites at any time. Dogs will have to be under control queit and supervised at all times. Finding another venue for these events if camping I think is highly unlikely.

How much will this cost us racer's ?,,,It cost's us £100 for petrol alone :( ,,,Ive not won the lottery so not rich . Look's like my dog's would miss the champ's if I need to book into a campsite :(

I love club racing anyway :p :p

Championship weekend was always a bit special to me it was a chance to watch the best dogs in the country race for a title and part of that fun was being camped on the track and being part of the build up and the atmosphere and for that reason we should be trying to find a track as central as possible to all racers who will be able to accomidate camping. If we cannot find a central track the alternatives are a track in the north or a track in the south but that surley would have an effect on entry's. So maybe the answer is to hold it on one day at first I was against this but as a one day event I think that most central tracks would accomidate us. But in my opinion the only way to do this is to reinstate regional qualifiers as to have anybody turn up on the day would be a nightmare for the people running the event and the need for a programme as small as possible mainly due to early nighfall would be required. We could run it like it used to be the winner and the runner up in each weight group etc through to the championships for a chance to get their title. It would take a bit of work to make sure that dogs were not moved to another region to make sure that they qualify, yes I know seasons, injury's etc will have an effect but we now have to look at all options. I don't see why we are looking at camping away from the track to drive there after all the event would be just as big the only difference would be the camping side of it but the same number of people could be there with their dogs and the same amount of vehicles and where would they go if they were not allowed to park on the field as in my opinion more would turn up for a title than at a normal open. Regional qualifiers could be the answer to a lot of racers turning up to camp so would the Asfordby club be willing to take us back then with only those who qualify,the committee and worker's being allowed to camp on the track with maybe camping allowed from the Saturday racing on the Sunday with a open on the Monday with all campers off after the racing on the Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
the staff at Ashfordsby are non paid helpers for the club, if the event is to big for them unpaid. Has anyone thought of asking the commitie at ashfordsby if they would continue to let us use the site, if we paid the staff wages over the weeked. if we all paid £5 that would give about £500 to be split between all the workers over the weeked. Sounds alot, but how much is it going to cost us if we have to stay in sites miles away from the track. It would need lots of conditions to make sure that the donation, if accepted does not go up above inflation each year, just a thought. If the reason given by Ashfordsby is true then this must be an option to save this venue.

@ john

Doreen said we can still stage one day meetings but these would have to be between the middle of May to the middle of August, no race meetings can be held outside these stated months.
But there is alot of other tracks in the middle of the counry quite capable of holding one day events.

Scotty said:
the staff at Ashfordsby are non paid helpers for the club, if the event is to big for them unpaid. Has anyone thought of asking the commitie at ashfordsby if they would continue to let us use the site, if we paid the staff wages over the weeked. if we all paid £5 that would give about £500 to be split between all the workers over the weeked. Sounds alot, but how much is it going to cost us if we have to stay in sites miles away from the track. It would need lots of conditions to make sure that the donation, if accepted does not go up above inflation each year, just a thought. If the reason given by Ashfordsby is true then this must be an option to save this venue.
thats sounds good pete, maybe doreen should see if this is a option,

but think the committee at asfordby were being nice about stoping the weekends by saying the events to big,

in answer to the fighting at asfordby, its that sort of attitude about fighting thats got us in this mess, any fighting at any race meeting should be a big deal the fact you seem to think it was just a domestic ?? something the police take alot more serious than you, and they think its a very big deal, the word DOMESTIC VIOLENCE means within the home, not in the pub or around the public, the members of the nnwrf present when this attact took place will judge for themself why we have losted asfordby, in my opinion its because you feel to act in that way is KNOW BIG DEAL :eek:

Well very sad news indeed that yet another fellow racer feels the need to call it a day----- due to all the nasty -rude -and unacceptable behavoir by a minority---- in this ( dont even think the label sport is true anymore) and this after 35 years most of which i am sure they have enjoyed ----best of luck with the future --whatever--it may bring--

Steve/Karen/ Harry

Honeybee said:
Karen and for anyone else that is wondering why you haven't seen us with our dogs.  Yes, we have finished racing after 35 years in the sport.  I'm afraid we just didn't like the way the sport was progressing with all the agro etc. so we have called "it a day"
:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: good luck

i just hope it get's sorted so we can all get back to racing :huggles: :cheers:

Yes, Steve and family, we have many a happy memory of racing. We were in the whippet racing for 21 years before we had a Champion and since then we have had R.Ch. Saxon Honey/Honeybee/Tiger and Gem.

When I look back and see the "Measham" days where two tracks were running side by side and us running from one side of the bitches track to the dogs to watch the racing that was racing in its "true" form and the atmosphere was electric.

We shall miss not seeing our friends but we are now enjoying lots of Caravan holidays instead. The dogs are enjoying that too. Caravan sites that we book on do not have any problems with us having 7 dogs. We do not let them off the lead and we ALWAYS clean up after them. We are always made welcome at these sites. :thumbsup:

it is worth putting up a fight for.didnt know the staff where not paid.peters idea is a gooden nothing like a sweetner . :D

spellbound said:
in answer to the fighting at asfordby, its that sort of attitude about fighting thats got us in this mess, any fighting at any race meeting should be a big deal the fact you seem to think it was just a domestic ?? something the police take alot more serious than you, and they think its a very big deal, the word DOMESTIC VIOLENCE means within the home, not in the pub or around the public, the members of the nnwrf present when this attact took place will judge for themself why we have losted asfordby, in my opinion its because you feel to act in that way  is KNOW BIG DEAL :eek:
WELL I SUPPOSE I HAD BETTER HAVE MY SAY AS SPELLBOUND HAS CERTAINLY HAD HERS, AS FOR BEEN A TROUBLE CAUSER I AIN,T,. I HAVE HAD TWO DISAGREEMENTS WHILE AT THE WHIPPETS AT ASHFORDBY, UNFORTUNATELY ONE WAS A DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN RICKY AND MYSELF WHICH WAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACING AND WAS AT OUR OWN CARAVAN, NO DRINK INVOLVED, NOT A DROP HAD BEEN CONSUMED, THIS IN MY EYES AND OTHER PEOPLES WAS A DOMESTIC, APOLOGIES WHERE MADE TO CLUB OWNERS AND THEY WERE FINE ABOUT IT, UNLESS YOU WERE THERE SHUT IT. THE OTHER INCIDENT WAS BECAUSE NO MOTHER WOULD LET ANY PERSON HIT THEIR CHILD, AS YOU SPELLBOUND MUST THINK ITS OK TO HIT OTHER PEOPLES CHILDREN LIKE YOU DID MINE,. I TOOK MY BAN AND HAVE NEVER TRIED CONNING ANYBODY LIKE WHAT YOU DID AT THE BWRA CHAMPS WHEN SUPPOSSINGLY GAVE YOUR DOGS AWAY. MY DOG MASTER BLASTER HAS GONE TO NEW HOME AND IS VERY HAPPY WHERE HE IS AND WILL NOT BE RETURNING AND NEVER WAS GOING TO BE. AS FOR MASTER TORNADO THE SAME ISSUE WITH HIM, UNTIL I TOOK HIM BACK BECAUSE HE HAD A VERY INFECTED TOE AND I THOUGHT I COULD TAKE CARE OF HIM BETTER MYSELF. SO PLEASE GET ON WITH THE FUTURE OF RACING AND STOP BRINGING OLD SUBJECTS UP TRYING TO LAY BLAME AS I AM SURE THE EPISODE WITH GILL HARDY WITH YOU IS JUST AS BAD.

ENOUGH SAID DEBBIE

AS FOR NAMING AND SHAMING I NAME MYSELF GUILTY OF ABOVE FACTS

Last edited by a moderator:
ASFORDBY im sure did not make the decision to get rid of us lightly , to go back and plead with them to take us back and club together to help the staff is definately not the way ahead . thanks to a few mindless idiots we have to look at our sport 1 . we must deal with the culprets swift and hard. 2 . we must find a new venue for the champs ,even if only for next year for a short term solution that would give us time to find right venue for our long term future . 3 we must make sure the chain of events that have DEGRADED OUR MEMBERS AND OUR SPORT are never allowed into our midst again, easy to say not so easy to acheive, im sure if we put our minds to it we could acheive this and more, the sport is in our own hands. PHIL

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back