The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Can Rats Pass Any Disease On To Dogs

affieluver

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
does any body know if rats can pass on any dodgy diseases to dogs ? i took my daft whippy x beddy out over the field the other day when she spied a huge rat so off she went full pelt and caught the damn thing :blink: the bloody thing was screaming so loud it seemed to put her off her stride so she dropped it but by doing so she recieved quite a nasty bite to the side of her head dozy mare! :lol: i took her home and bathed it but it sems to have gone quite manky :x she seems fine in herself but i think a trip to the vet will have to happen monday just to be on the safe side just didnt know if she could catch anything nasty damn rats :rant: that rat was huge looked like hed been on steroids glad to say he is no longer with us :thumbsup:

littlenell said:
:x Eeeugh!  Hope she is ok... :luck:
I know they can pass on weils disease to humans but that is through water contact - not sure about dogs but I guess it hadn't cleaned its teeth in a while - yuk!

They can carry Leptospirosis. I think it's passed on via infected fluids but not sure if it could be passed on through a rat bite (salava) or if she bit the rat (in the blood)

If she's vaccinated she's probably vaccinated against it. (Dont know the sucess rate of the vaccine etc)

my pet rat once bit me on my finger and i cleaned it and that was that,but within a couple of days i ended up at the doctors with such a bad finger,i was given penicillin and the day after my rat developed pneumonia and thats why i had such a bad infection :( .

so could be wise to get the bite checked out :thumbsup:

If she had her vaccination/booster more than 9 months ago there is a chance she can contract the virus. The Lepto booster lasts for about 9 months despite the booster vaccination period being 12mths.

Or at least this is what I have been informed :b

Robert.

affieluver said:
Strike Whippets said:
Rats pass on Leptospirosis to dogs .......
even if shes been vaccinated against it im really worried now :unsure:

#
Google it and see what the symptoms are. (I looked it up a while ago as Vader has had a few rats) From what I remember there's nothing specific just generally being under the weather, lethargy, vomitting etc but a vet can diagnose it easily apparently.

We fostered a lovely Greyhound called Daniel that had been in contact with rats and had been infected by Lepto ......it was awful .....Nearly all dogs are fine ....unfortunately he wasn't lucky :( ....... Just keep an eye on her ....As Rae said vets can easily diagnose it ... :thumbsup:

cheers everyone im going to take her to the vets monday first thing her boosters are due in january just be my bloody luck she,ll catch something :unsure: dont know what to do with the daft tart she always catches something such a damn good hunter just hasnt quite grasped the idea that killing things quickly is the best option :(

id be more worried about the bacteria that was on the rats teeth ,give the cut a good clean

Mine have been bitten by rats (by not being quite quick enough in dispatching them :b ) but have never caught anything nasty as a result, and neither has their patterdale friend for whom rat-catching a major pastime :- " Keep an eye on the wound as a bite from any animal can easily get infected with nasty bacteria so it might be worth seeing a vet if it doesn't heal quickly.

Remember, rats are everywhere in our environment and so soil, stagnant water etc can be contaminated by their urine and copious droppings. The risk isn't necessarily from contact with actual rats.

affieluver said:
Strike Whippets said:
Rats pass on Leptospirosis to dogs .......
even if shes been vaccinated against it im really worried now :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
affieluver said:
does any body know if rats can pass on any dodgy diseases to dogs ? i took my daft whippy x beddy out over the field the other day when she spied a huge rat so off she went full pelt and caught the damn thing  :blink: the bloody thing was screaming so loud it seemed to put her off her stride so she dropped it but by doing so she recieved quite a nasty bite to the side of her head dozy mare! :lol: i took her home and bathed it but it sems to have gone quite manky  :x she seems fine in herself but i think a trip to the vet will have to happen monday just to be on the safe side just didnt know if she could catch anything nasty damn rats  :rant: that rat was huge looked like hed been on steroids glad to say he is no longer with us :thumbsup:
is this a joke or wot

some info from a site

Leptospirosis is an odd disease that may often show no signs or symptoms at all. In these cases the bacteria are eventually defeated by the dogs natural defenses. Other times, and more generally, however, the disease might be life threatening to the infected dog. The three main forms of the disease are hemorrhagic (infection in the blood, causing bleeding), renal (infecting the kidneys), and icteric (infecting the liver).

Hemorrhagic Leptospirosis tends to beginning with a high fever, loss of appetite, and general lethargy. Small hemorrhages initial to occur in the mouth and eyes and the dog can develop extreme bloody vomiting and diarrhea. This form of the disease is often fatal.

Icteric Leptospirosis will almost always beginning the identical way as the hemorrhagic form; with fever, lethargy, and loss of appetite. The mouth and whites of the eyes will take on a yellow appearance, similar to victims of jaundice. In some cases the dogs skin might also appear yellow and jaundiced.

Renal Leptospirosis also starts with fever, appetite loss, and lethargic depression, but eventually leads to kidney failure.

All three forms of the disease are treatable and curable and all three forms may be potentially fatal. Often dogs that survive renal Leptospirosis will have chronic kidney disease for the rest of their lives.

Treatment is accomplished with the use of antibiotics and, if the disease is caught early enough, is fairly often successful. Cases of Leptospirosis in North America are fairly rare, thanks to the development of a vaccine. Puppies are inoculated for the disease as early as six weeks of age and receive annual renewal shots to maintain their immunity.

Vaccination and clean, hygienic conditions are the best way to avoid Leptospirosis in dogs. If the animal is not able to come into contact with disease carrying rats and their urine, the dog is unlikely to become infected, even if unvaccinated. The leptospirosis vaccine is the most likely of all dog vaccinations to cause an adverse reaction in the dog. This reaction is often mild and most almost always includes lethargy, loss of appetite, and depression. These effects last only a few days and afterward the dog is fine and, more importantly, protected from the disease.

Leptospirosis is one of the nastier diseases a dog might get and no one target to see his or her pet suffer with this illness. Fortunately, thanks to the existence of a grand vaccine, few dogs have to endure this life threatening illness in todays day and age.

it isnt just passed on by urine it can also be passed on by bite

~elizabeth~ said:
Mine have been bitten by rats (by not being quite quick enough in dispatching them :b ) but have never caught anything nasty as a result, and neither has their patterdale friend for whom rat-catching a major pastime :- " Keep an eye on the wound as a bite from any animal can easily get infected with nasty bacterial so it might be worth seeing a vet if it doesn't heal quickly.

Remember, rats are everywhere in our environment and so soil, stagnant water etc can be contaminated. The risk isn't from contact with actual rats. ;)

Yes I remember that - their urine spreads it?

I think they learn by their mistakes and she'll make sure she does it properly mext time. Rats dont seem as easy to despatch as they try to fight back and do bite unlike rabbits. Vader & Star have both been bitten by a rat, but only the once.

I would take him to the vets, just to be sure.

My brother almost died through Weils disease (Leptospirosis) It causes acute renal failure.

naylorwhippets said:
I would take him to the vets, just to be sure....(Leptospirosis) It causes acute renal failure.

As does exposure to rat bait. Be very wary in areas where you know there may be rat infestation for this reason as well, poisoned rats can wander quite a distance in a daze before they die too :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back