The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cesar Millan

Sadie

Wife, Mother, Nana, Daughter, Sister, Friend, Whip
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've been glued to Cesar's programmes for weeks now and am impressed with his natural, no nonsense techniques with problem, unbalanced dogs. :thumbsup:

Has anyone on K9 found his ways work for them?

We are practising calm, assertive energy when Jack has his mad half hours and the non-verbal atmosphere certainly helps to calm him down.

We're working on the jumping up syndrome at the moment. I will keep you posted! :sweating:

(Has Cesar ever had a whippet I ask myself!) (w00t)

Hannah x

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been glued to Cesar's programmes for weeks now and am impressed with his natural, no nonsense techniques with problem, unbalanced dogs. :thumbsup:

We are practising calm, assertive energy when Jack has his mad half hours and the non-verbal atmosphere certainly helps to calm him down.

We're working on the jumping up syndrome at the moment. I will keep you posted! :sweating:

Hannah x
:thumbsup: I do follow him & use some of his methods but my OH is much better at it than I am!! You will find tho' that there are quite a few peeps that don't agree!

Hannah x
:thumbsup: I do follow him & use some of his methods but my OH is much better at it than I am!! You will find tho' that there are quite a few peeps that don't agree!
Yes we watch him and copy stuff at times!! He is a handy bloke to have on the tele. lol

yeh i do recall an episode where he gave help to two whippets that lived in a shop and were anti social with other dogs ;)

I suppose it's like anything else, there's good and bad in everything. I'm not a fan (bit of an understatement there to be honest) but quite a lot of what he does is no different to many other trainers. I'm certainly not suggesting he's all bad. I think the important thing to remember is that a lot of the dogs he works with are dogs with entrenched problems not ordinary family dogs who are just a bit livelier than you would like them to be. I do worry that he gets so much air and book shelf time as a brand that other equally good or better trainers such as Ian Dunbar are not getting the attention they deserve. Re. has he had a whippet, I have no idea, but the thought that anyone would find it necessary to alpha roll a whippet abhors me.

Can't stand the man or his methods, sorry. I think he's put the cause of positive reward-based dog training back 20 years, and that's the opinion of an awful lot of other trainers, too. I wouldn't personally let him or some of his methods within a hundred miles of my own dogs.

He's a great showman and has a good line of patter, but try turning the sound off and look at the body language of the dogs he's working with and you'll see quite different things going on from what he's telling you is happening, for instance he'll have a dog pinned to the ground and say it's now in a 'calm state' when the dog is panting frantically with rolling eyes and is obviously terrified.

He also cheats, there was a clip on YouTube (now unsurprisingly withdrawn) which showed very clearly that he was using an electric shock collar on a dog as aversion therapy to stop him chasing cats though this was never mentioned on the programme - the sight of the poor dog crying and trying to escape was very distressing.

You might have gathered I'm not a fan :lol:

We all have our own opinion , which is good for debates

Im going to see him next month at Nottingham arena

I've watched some of his programmes and, although I didn't see it, my 15 year old son was fascinated by one which showed him interacting with a pack of wolves (think it was wolves anyway or wild dogs :unsure: ). I did contemplate going to see him at Newcastle Arena just out of curiosity.

The bit that always gets me is the 'Do not attempt any of these techniques yourself...' Sure, I'll just give Cesar a call and I'm sure he'll pop round and help me out :-

I haven't watched enough of his techniques (though I have heard some of his methods are controversial) to have any strong views for or against really.

Wow! I hadn't realised Cesar's methods were so controversial!

I'm not familiar with any dog training methods other than the ones we naturally use to train up our pups. ie, sit, wait, no, off etc. Whippets being extremely intelligent little dogs soon get the hang of things in our experience.

I like the way Cesar tries to think like a dog. It seems to make sense. We are adopting calm assertive approach when I've been upstairs or in the garden without Jack and he whimpers for me. I long to cuddle him when we are together but ignore him which is working well. We then cuddle when he is happy and content, thus avoiding cuddles being associated with his anxiety.

O and I personally think Cesar is very fit....in every way! ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Hannah x

I've watched some of his programmes and, although I didn't see it, my 15 year old son was fascinated by one which showed him interacting with a pack of wolves (think it was wolves anyway or wild dogs :unsure: ). I did contemplate going to see him at Newcastle Arena just out of curiosity.
The bit that always gets me is the 'Do not attempt any of these techniques yourself...' Sure, I'll just give Cesar a call and I'm sure he'll pop round and help me out :-

I haven't watched enough of his techniques (though I have heard some of his methods are controversial) to have any strong views for or against really.

Wow! I hadn't realised Cesar's methods were so controversial!
I'm not familiar with any dog training methods other than the ones we naturally use to train up our pups. ie, sit, wait, no, off etc. Whippets being extremely intelligent little dogs soon get the hang of things in our experience.

I like the way Cesar tries to think like a dog. It seems to make sense. We are adopting calm assertive approach when I've been upstairs or in the garden without Jack and he whimpers for me. I long to cuddle him when we are together but ignore him which is working well. We then cuddle when he is happy and content, thus avoiding cuddles being associated with his anxiety.

O and I personally think Cesar is very fit....in every way! ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Hannah x

Ok my earlier reply was me being tactful ... basically I agree with FeeFee ... but I've quoted Sadie because her reply illustrates what concerns me most. Mr Millan is often the only trainer people are aware of due to his huge tv presence. I worry too many people follow Cesar without knowing anything about alternative approaches ... without that knowledge choosing to do things Cesar's way is not an informed choice. As to cheating, I reckon all tv dog trainers cheat. My dog trainer friend has worked with UK tv trainers and what on tv is presented as a result achieved relatively quickly by the 'personality' trainer (and the owners taught by that person) has in fact on ocassion been arrived at by my friend working 24/7 with the dogs concerned. Television is about quick results where dog training is about patience and building incrementally on each success.

I think he makes it all look simple - like every dog can be a success no matter what its lifestyle or problems are ........have we ever seen him fail to 'rehabilitate' a dog.........? I think that no matter what training methods are applied, some dogs will always be, well, unpredictable, unstable or scary even.

Anyways, I have got a ticket to see his show because my friend wants to go and fair deal, if I ask her to go to concerts etc., she usually does. We got the cheaper tickets, not the VIP ones at over £100. (w00t)

I think he makes it all look simple - like every dog can be a success no matter what its lifestyle or problems are ........have we ever seen him fail to 'rehabilitate' a dog.........? I think that no matter what training methods are applied, some dogs will always be, well, unpredictable, unstable or scary even.
Anyways, I have got a ticket to see his show because my friend wants to go and fair deal, if I ask her to go to concerts etc., she usually does. We got the cheaper tickets, not the VIP ones at over £100. (w00t)
Yep, VIP at over £100, all so you can ask a question? Amazing marketing, yep, it all brings in the money! Like was said in a previous post, tv demands quick results be it Cesar Millan, Victoria Stilwell whoever! They are paid to make a tv programme that people will watch, common sense and 'dog savvy' should tell us that those results cannot be achieved in the length of a tv programme. That was my problem when I looked at tickets to see Cesar Millan, info states he will NOT take on any dogs outside his 'show', so are his dogs on this tour performing as circus animals do?

Yep, VIP at over £100, all so you can ask a question? Amazing marketing, yep, it all brings in the money! Like was said in a previous post, tv demands quick results be it Cesar Millan, Victoria Stilwell whoever! They are paid to make a tv programme that people will watch, common sense and 'dog savvy' should tell us that those results cannot be achieved in the length of a tv programme. That was my problem when I looked at tickets to see Cesar Millan, info states he will NOT take on any dogs outside his 'show', so are his dogs on this tour performing as circus animals do?

Indeed. Now just imagine that you did have a VIP ticket...........what question would you ask? I think I would take inspiration from the "dog poo" thread on here. After all, there must be some poo to be scooped from that pack of dogs at his rehab centre, I wonder does he do it himself? :blink:

Indeed. Now just imagine that you did have a VIP ticket...........what question would you ask? I think I would take inspiration from the "dog poo" thread on here. After all, there must be some poo to be scooped from that pack of dogs at his rehab centre, I wonder does he do it himself? :blink:

PMSL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol ........ I've wondered about the amount of poo in his yard too :lol:

When the shows were first advertised, they were requesting people to nominate their dogs for appearance at the shows, so I guess the dogs he is working with have all been chosen beforehand and the statement about not working with dogs from outside means that he won't be doing nominations from the audience on the night :unsure:

I've watched many of his programmes and he is an excellent marketeer. There does seem to be a large number of bull crosses and staffie types on his yard :( which probably demonstrates his success with the "tougher" breeds? However, the "jab" (he calls it a bite) or backward kick in the ribs that he uses should never be used on a whippet (w00t) and the only thing I have taken from watching him is to be consistent with my behaviour towards my gang which I can do without corporal punishment :thumbsup:

it's a shame that in the programs and also during these sort of discussions, that more time is given to his "rehabilitation" of dominant and or aggressive dogs, i suppose it just makes more of an impact :unsure:

i do so wish more time would be given to his "rehabilitation" of fearful, nervous, and traumatised dogs, this i feel is where his ability to understand a dog really shines through

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back