The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chicken Wings

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
dessie said:
Millie and I were discussing last night if certain cuts of meat were 'regional', as it were, because we just don't see things like oxtail, breast of lamb, tongue  etc at all around here (Royal Berkshire, don't you know!!!).
My dog meat supplier used to do tongue chunks but even they have stopped doing that.

You don't even find what I would call proper butcher's shops around here, they just buy in boxes of various cuts of meat already chopped up, the same as we can buy in supermarkets, rather than butcher whole carcases on the premises.

A pain in the proverbial really.

Funny you should mention that Dessie ,Only yesterday I was talking to my butcher who only a few years ago employed 3 men to cut up whole carcases that were delivered t his shop , Now all his meat comes prepacked into cuts ready for sale , and why has it changed ?? you may well ask [SIZE=14pt] E U [/SIZE]regulations thats what , We are becoming a `nanny` state . I used to get my chicken wings and carcases from a guy who did it all himself , he closed down cos his ceiling in his cutting shop was 10mm too low !!!

Soon we wont need to chew the beaurocrats will do it all for us . (w00t)

Ok rant over :oops:

With regards bones , do be careful if you are giving them large bones as Ive had more than one whippet break a tooth ( back one maybe ) when they really get `into `them . :blink:

Soon we wont need to chew the beaurocrats will do it all for us .
It's already come to that, Jax!!

Honestly. I was listening (on the radio) to this newly-famous dinner lady who's written a book and turned her school meals service around. She was saying that when she first introduced 'proper' food (ie locally sourced wholesome ingredients for meals cooked on the premises) she found the children didn't actually know how to chew because they were so used to chicken nuggets and minced food :wacko: their jaw muscles were under-developed, and it took them several weeks to re-learn chewing! :(

edited to say, I know it's off topic, but it's interesting. Dogs and children become chinless wonders through lack of chewing :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
~Helen~ said:

Honestly. I was listening (on the radio) to this newly-famous dinner lady who's written a book and turned her school meals service around. She was saying that when she first introduced 'proper' food (ie locally sourced wholesome ingredients for meals cooked on the premises) she found the children didn't actually know how to chew because they were so used to chicken nuggets and minced food :wacko: their jaw muscles were under-developed, and it took them several weeks to re-learn chewing! :(

edited to say, I know it's off topic, but it's interesting. Dogs and children become chinless wonders through lack of chewing :lol:

But suerly they chew gum all day long (w00t)

Juley said:
~Helen~ said:

But suerly they chew gum all day long (w00t)

:lol: :lol:

~Helen~ said:

I actually wonder about all the missing teeth in dogs nowdays. That was a one reason why I started to feed stuff the dogs have to use their teeth on. I used to buy minced meat and mixed it with the kibble. Nowdays I give them things they have to chew as well as the kibble.

Lida

Glad I started this topic as it seems that there is so much to say on this subject, it has proved excellent reading!

Ollie was exactly the same as a few others in that he looked at me in disgust when I tried to give him a chicken wing (thankfully frozen :) )

He has however been tucking in with great relish to his food this week and looks like he has put on a few pounds. I on the other hand have eaten like a sparrow for the last four weeks and lost ONE :wacko: )

ILoveKettleChips said:
Seraphina said:
ILoveKettleChips said:
This is a really interesting one ...
I guess everything has it's risk, what about dogs which swallow stones or pieces of wood? Is it better to be safe and feed the dogs mush? Surely. the dog's digestive system is made to process bones?

Lida

Very true Lida, but that's just my opinion. People often forget that when it comes to their own pets vets are the most paranoid of all. Maisie has gone from having a heart problem to having a dodgy pancreas to having thyroid problems - all imaginary!

Zephyr said it all:

"So I am on the fence, as I can see lots of benefits in natural feeding, but my experiences have made me very wary."

Of-course, you ILKC see all the bad outcomes. I have been lucky, the only fright re- bone I had ended well. Last year I boned some raw chicken legs for the dogs, put the bones in the kitchen tidy and placed it on top of the bench. Few minutes later I walked out and there on the lawn sat one of my pups(5-6 weeks old) with large very sharp splintered bone in her mouth. The bone was so long it stuck out on both sides of her mouth. I tried to get it from her, but the moment I touched her she swallowed it, I opened her mouth and just saw it disapearing down her throat , I tried to stick my 2 finger down , but it was gone. It was Sunday - naturally! The bone was as long as her neck! I waited for her to show any sign of pain, but she just looked extremely smug and played normally. I watched her for days, I looked if she will pass even a fragment in her droppings. NOTHING! She just happily digested it. I am even more careful about chicken bones (they go straight into the large bin outside) , but refuse to be paranoid.

:thumbsup:

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back