The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chicken Wings

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
>The other side of it not yet mentioned, is the behavioural issues. Some dogs get more possessive over bones than anything else. My GSD/Doberman x only ever growled at me once - when I went to take a bone away from her (a cooked lamb bone that SOMEONE else had given to her ). She never had bones after that, as I didn't want her or me to be in that situation again.

Because he really values them one of mine has become more aggressive over the wings. I started off giving them like treats which is how I'm using them not as a meal. But now I shut him into a cage first.

My whole hand disappeared inside Tally's mouth the other day when I gave him his wing. (w00t) Luckily he didn't bite down. :wub:

I know of a BC breeder who stopped BARF feeding because it made her dogs become aggressive.

High value items might be worth getting injured for. :- "

This is a brilliant thread :thumbsup: really interesting and thought-provoking stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
ILoveKettleChips said:
This is a really interesting one ...
I do give mine knuckle bones once in a while - does wonders for the smelly teeth!  But I always feed them raw and get the biggest hugest bones possible.

I have seen dogs which have needed either surgery (to remove a small chunk of bone which had become stuck in the gut or stomach) or sedation and several days worth of enemas along with fluid therapy to keep them alive because their gut has become so impacted with shards of bone.  It is NOT a fun job, spending hours picking tiny crumbs off a huge faecal mass which has lodged inside a poor dog's colon.  And as for the dog - well, it's a bit of a welfare issue, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I have also seen dogs which have had problems with pieces of cartilage becoming lodged in their alimentary tract, including one which became stuck in the oesophagus.  It then dislodged but by this time had caused severe trauma to the inside of the oesophagus and the dog had eventually to be put to sleep.

So, things I have seen scare me when it comes to bones, rightly or wrongly, but I still think the benefits of a large raw bone to gnaw on once in a while outweigh the risks, I just don't do it too often!

I guess everything has it's risk, what about dogs which swallow stones or pieces of wood? Is it better to be safe and feed the dogs mush? Surely. the dog's digestive system is made to process bones?

Lida

alfyn said:
Lesley,you might find that as you're feeding a complete dry food,you are unbalancing their diet.If you want to feed raw foods,stick with them, with the addition of a natural biscuit & veggies.Or if you want to feed complete,feed just that.It can all to often happen that by feeding the 2,their system finds it hard to cope with,& the first signs are usually skin & coat problems.

think this applies to Oscar too - I had some complete food left so have been using it up - with the raw food, wings etc, hes had the squits a lot and coat looks a bit dry too.

Must get some more biscuit mixer :oops:

I think at the end of the day,nothing is 100% safe,i've heard of dogs choking themselves to death on kibble & pigs ears & chews,so where do you go from there? :unsure:

We all try our best to do what is right for our dogs which is the most important factor,we just have to make our own minds up as to what is right for each individual dog.

For example,i don't give chicken wings to Flyn,but give him raw minced chicken/bones instead as he can choke on the smallest crumb,so it worries me that he would have a problem with them,but he does have marrow bones as he just scrapes away on them.

I would say that Murphy's temerament changes when there's marrow bones about,he will happily share them with a puppy,but gets grumpy if the adults are about.

Lesly & Janis,It might be a good idea to give them evening primrose oil to help get their coats back in condition.

Do you bath your dogs frequently? You'll find that most shampoo products (human included)have sodium laurel sulphate in them which is known for drying out hair & skin.Doreen Paige products do excellent shampoos that are natural,if you want more info,pm me :thumbsup: (No,i'm not on commission :D )

Zephyr said:
Like ILKC I saw a lot of dogs when I was vet nursing suffering the after effects of bones, and some indeed had serious and even fatal injuries.  My own dog Alfie was chewing away on a marrow bone in the garden while I was inside decorating, and when I went out he had eaten EVERY BIT :(   Later that night he got up crying, went to the door and collapsed, dragging his legs as if he was paralysed. :(   When I took him to the vet the next morning, he was perfectly back to normal, but the vet thought one of the sharp bits of bone must have been pressing on a nerve. :(
So I am on the fence, as I can see lots of benefits in natural feeding, but my experiences have made me very wary.

The other side of it not yet mentioned, is the behavioural issues.  Some dogs get more possessive over bones than anything else. My GSD/Doberman x only ever growled at me once - when I went to take a bone away from her (a cooked lamb bone that SOMEONE else had given to her :angry: ).  She never had bones after that, as I didn't want her or me to be in that situation again. :(

That's why if I had a dog who actually ATE the bone rather than gnawed on it I'd not let them have it. If the dog is eating this huge marrowbone then it's chewing too hard, can damage teeth and then there's the problem of all that ingested bone. They are supposed to be 'recreational bones' - given to keep them occupied and clean their teeth, not to be eaten.

As for the possessiveness - yes I agree some dogs are like that. I was worried when I first started giving them, but the possessiveness only lasted the first 2-3 days. Once they realised this was going to be a regular thing I could leave them unsupervised and they'd often trade with each other. I have yet to introduce them with Teya so I imagine when I do it will need to be watched closely for the first few days.

As for some of the things vets have seen I wonder how much of it is with cooked bones rather than raw and those ones sold at the petstores and stuff?

I don't kid myself either. But I figure there's a risk to a lot of things we do and it's just a matter of weighing it.

As a side note - when Chelsea had her emergency op in October because she ate all that bonemeal I told the vet he might find some chicken wing bones in her stomach because that was her meal the night before. Our vets don't support raw feeding, but are happy with the condition of our dogs. He told me after the op that yes he did find some chicken bones, but was quite confident that had they not been held up by the bonemeal what he saw there would have digested easily and were not the trouble. That did a lot for my confidence in feeding them.

Wendy

well went to the shops to get some chicken wings to give them ago

when i got back i gave them one each they took them off me

but then droped them on the floor and just looked at me

and walked off . i dont think they were very in pressed . why is that ? :wack

lawleymoon said:
well went to the shops to get some chicken wings to give them ago   when i got back i gave them one each they took them off me

but then droped them on the floor and just looked at me

and walked off . i dont think they were very in pressed . why is that ? :wack

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats what two of mine did :lol:

Just a precautionary reminder,DO MAKE SURE THAT ALL RAW FOOD HAS BEEN FROZEN FIRST

alfyn said:
Just a precautionary reminder,DO MAKE SURE THAT ALL RAW FOOD HAS BEEN FROZEN FIRST

i didnt no they had to be frozen first :eek:

why is that? i wont have done my dogs any harm would i? :(

i didnt know they had to be frozon first.

nor did i melanie good job they didnt eat them :eek:

harvey took his upstairs so its must likely to be in my bed now (w00t)

I believe the freezing thing apply to all fresh meat. You should pop it in the freezer for 24 hours to kill a particularly unpleasant bacteria called NEOSPORUM or something. There has been a previous thread on it, I'll see if i can find it. Its very rare, but potentially fatal, but is killed by freezing :thumbsup:

Okay did a little bit of digging, can't find the thread, but have found a link about neosposis. Apparently it's in beef so you should freeze all beef mince. But not sure that it also applies to chicken wings.

neosporosis

omg that story is really sad :(

iv fed fresh wings and minced beef loads of times, i cant believe iv put my dogs at risk, i feel sick :eek: :(

thankyou for going to the trouble to find that helen :thumbsup:

you learn something new everyday, thankgod for k9 :thumbsup: :lol:

Chicken wings are the only raw meat I wouldn't necessarily freeze before feeding, 99% of the time I buy them frozen anyway, but like this week I had to buy fresh as Tesco didn't have any frozen and I didn't bother to freeze them first? :unsure:

What's a Cornish Hen? You could use Quail as a training treat. :lol:

Cornish hen or Cornish chicken, is a breed of poultry that originated in Cornwall, England, but gained prominence only after it was established in the United States. Its body shape is quite different from that of other chickens. Both males and females have short legs and broad muscular breasts. Although relatively slow-growing, the Cornish hen has excellent meat qualities and is used extensively in breeding programs today. Its cross with the fast-growing Plymouth Rock chicken is responsible for most of the broiler and frier types currently on the market. An increasingly popular form of Cornish poultry, marketed for its delicious meat, is the Rock Cornish game hen. This is actually a standard meat-type chicken packaged at a smaller size.

Millie and I were discussing last night if certain cuts of meat were 'regional', as it were, because we just don't see things like oxtail, breast of lamb, tongue etc at all around here (Royal Berkshire, don't you know!!!).

My dog meat supplier used to do tongue chunks but even they have stopped doing that.

You don't even find what I would call proper butcher's shops around here, they just buy in boxes of various cuts of meat already chopped up, the same as we can buy in supermarkets, rather than butcher whole carcases on the premises.

A pain in the proverbial really.

:- " Very interesting reading, but i dont think i will try the raw feeding.

To scarry :blink: .

Seraphina said:
ILoveKettleChips said:
This is a really interesting one ...
I guess everything has it's risk, what about dogs which swallow stones or pieces of wood? Is it better to be safe and feed the dogs mush? Surely. the dog's digestive system is made to process bones?

Lida

Very true Lida, but that's just my opinion. People often forget that when it comes to their own pets vets are the most paranoid of all. Maisie has gone from having a heart problem to having a dodgy pancreas to having thyroid problems - all imaginary!

Zephyr said it all:

"So I am on the fence, as I can see lots of benefits in natural feeding, but my experiences have made me very wary."

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back