The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chicken Wings

TC

RAGGY LASS!
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have seen lots of posts about feeding, and it would seem that some of the whippets here are given chicken wings.

My past says that these are quite dangerous re brittle bones etc, but those that feed them must be of differing opinions?

Can you just let me know, do you feed them raw or cooked?

Can anyone recommend anything nice and building for Ollie as he is skin and bone (much like the aforementioned chicken wings :p

Thanks

Tracy

hi tracy

i feed my lot raw chicken wings(never cooked them)they are also fed on purina proplan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Whizz loves his raw Chicken Wings as soon as he sees them he whimpers until he gets them.

Touch wood we have not had any problems.

Any sort of bone should be fed raw as it is the cooking that changes the constitution of the bone and makes them liable to splinter. Think about what wild dogs/cats eat ..................RAW MEAT & BONES!!! They don't have cooking facilities!!

Raw whole chicken wings (which aren't just skin and bone incidently!!) are excellent for Whippets and they love them!! Some swallow them whole, others scrunch them up.

Mine have them for breakfast and then tripe/mixer for their tea. My 11 month old puppy will also have a chicken wing or two (depending on the size of them) for lunch.

My adult dogs have chicken wings for breafast. The whippets crunch them and get good teeth cleaning and the nutrients contained in the raw matter generally is I assume beneficial. My spaniel swallows them virtually whole with no adverse effects. My pups are not on them yet, too busy racing (w00t) They would need to be a bit bigger. What I am also trying for teeth cleaning is pieces of oxtail from Morrisons. I freeze it first as it is beef,defrost 34 hours later and give as a treat. Raw of course.

Best of luck with what you try.

Chris

Josie loves them! Scrunch, scrunch, scrunch. But my vet had a fit when I told her, so I think some people do have concerns. Tracy, I was trying to find you a prvious thread from a couple of months ago where people went into the pros and cons of raw wings - but typically I can't find it :wacko:

We ought to have an FAQ section, where really good threads on issues like feeding, exercise, crates, etc etc, are pinned. The same questions do seem to crop up again and again and it's often difficult and time-consuming (even with the brilliant SEARCH button :thumbsup: )to find an old thread that you just KNOW has had great info in it.

dessie said:
Any sort of bone should be fed raw as it is the cooking that changes the constitution of the bone and makes them liable to splinter.  Think about what wild dogs/cats eat ..................RAW MEAT & BONES!!!  They don't have cooking facilities!!
Raw whole chicken wings (which aren't just skin and bone incidently!!) are excellent for Whippets and they love them!!  Some swallow them whole, others scrunch them up.

Mine have them for breakfast and then tripe/mixer for their tea.  My 11 month old puppy will also have a chicken wing or two (depending on the size of them) for lunch.

This has been my feeling for years, how would dogs be able to cook their food, of course they prefer it raw! I wouldn't mind but the people who I have had this debate with are those that feed that well known tinned brand, who seem to devote more time to bleaching and then colouring their food that anything else?!

I have given Ollie a lamb bone and he thoroughly enjoyed this and I felt happier because I wasn't so worried about the splintering.

I have to say I couldn't bring myself to give him an oxtail though. I have stayed away from Pigs Ears :x with all of my past dogs, but after everyone raving about them on here I gave them a try and Ollie just loves them :wub:

Thanks for all the advice so far peeps

Tracy

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracy Chamberlain said:
how would dogs be able to cook their food
Don't know why but this reminded me of the lady I overheard telling our local green grocer that her dog was a vegetarian (w00t) :- " :(

I have started giving mine marrow bones, the improvement in their teeth is amazing. :D

Juley said:
I have started giving mine marrow bones, the improvement in their teeth is amazing. :D
Hi Juley,

Do you mean the one that you get from the pet shops that are sterilised/baked or from a butcher?

Sorry I am so nosey just want to find out as much as I can.....

Thanks

Tracy

I never fed raw chicken wings either until I saw everyones advice on feeding them. Now Oscar gets 2 on a morning - and he loves them. I do sometimes cook chicken for him too. I think like Helens vet - dont think mine would approve either.] They usually tell me to steer away from chicken bones and rabbit bones. Oscar gets raw beef and lamb too as well as tripe.

Most of them seem to try to promote PET FOOD only.

Anyway cant say Ive had any problems so far anyway. :thumbsup:

>My pups are not on them yet, ............. They would need to be a bit bigger

In case you'd like to feed them with wings too. :thumbsup: When I've fed them to very young pups I cut off the last portion of bone ie the wing tip and they have that. They can normally eat that bit of the wing okay. Then as they get older I just leave off the meaty end which ajoins the chickens body. My 6 month old has just tucked into 3 of them. Tally being so much bigger really needs turkey necks.

Because of circumstances I stopped feeding them and meat and stuck to complete kibble. But my dogs teeth deteriorated so I've started up again. Happy, happy dogs. :D

BTW My vet is in favour of feeding chicken wings. :thumbsup:

mmmm, Have read about chicken wings on here before. But wasnt sure i think i will give them a go. How many do you give per meal, and is it just the wings on their own. Then complete for tea perhaps, noticed oscar has 2 for breakfast.

At the moment mine are having all different meats (eg)

Tripe.

Ox hearts

Breast of lamb, Good for putting on weight.

Cooked chicken

Ox liver.

Pro plan.

Now will try raw wings. :wacko:

My vet advised not to feed Ten anything other than his complete food on the basis that he get the runs from eating cooked meat and that he had a full on allergic reaction to his first vaccine.

does anyone have a dog that can't handle cooked meat but is ok with raw?...

i also think that Ten would just swallow a chicken wing whole :blink: what would be the best type of thing for him to chew on to keep his teeth nice & healthy? He only has the raw hide type treats at the mo - and they're down him in no time! :wacko:

Thanks, Moo :)

Tracy Chamberlain said:
Juley said:
Hi Juley,

Do you mean the one that you get from the pet shops that are sterilised/baked or from a butcher?

Sorry I am so nosey just want to find out as much as I can.....

Thanks

Tracy

I got marrow bones from the butcher. (Raw) 1 pound each(money, I have no pound sign, not weight) :lol: and he cut them in half for me as well so I had 4 bits. They had them in the garden last week on the two warm days we had. ( Of course I had to sit outside too! LOL). I took them away after two days as they had started to wear the bone down. Even my 10 yr old terrier has shown a massive improvement. She can't have an anaesthetic cos of her breathing. I will be getting more this week or next.

That's interesting Juley :) my mum always gave our GSDs marrow bones and they loved them, but I haven't tried Josie with them because I read on another K9 thread that weight-bearing bones might not be so good because they shatter into sharp shards or something? I might have misunderstood though :unsure:

~Helen~ said:
That's interesting Juley  :)   my mum always gave our GSDs marrow bones and they loved them, but I haven't tried Josie with them because I read on another K9 thread that weight-bearing bones might not be so good because they shatter into sharp shards or something? I might have misunderstood though :unsure:

I buy marrow bones from the butcher Helen, 50p each and they love them. I can't see them shattering, they are very hard. When they dry out, Fynn can be found grating his teeth on them :thumbsup: It is a brilliant treat :) Korma is on :thumbsup:

I stopped feeding Alfie marrow bones because he did used to get little sharp bits off which worried me. Whether they would actually do any harm is another question? I still continue to feed chicken wings/pieces.. I'm probably just being stupid over the marrow bones, but he doesn't really need them... he has three mummy's to brush his teeth :b Other than that he gets raw... tripe, minced beef, oxtail, minced lamb, lamb hearts/lamb liver, minced turkey and obviously chicken/wings/neck/pieces/...tail :lol:

My lot are on chicken wing's, thigh's etc .......My puppie's started on drumstick's at 8/9 week's old......and they love nothing more than to all go out for a walk chasing the rabbit's, then come back to their chicken wing's :thumbsup: ......If you are having difficulty in keeping weight on Ollie then tripe and horlick's is a great combo for building dog's up :)

Strike Whippets said:
My puppie's started on drumstick's at 8/9 week's old......and they love nothing more than to all go out for a walk chasing the rabbit's, then come back to their chicken wing's  :thumbsup:
heaven! o:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back