The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chicken Wings

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Mine usually have chicken wings but i noticed they were getting quite bad dandruff the reason I thought it may be the wings is because if I gave them a change onto something else it went away then came back when I reintroduced the wings I don't know if anyone else has found this, but I found it a bit odd :wacko:

That's weird, Lesley, because Josie has dandruff sometimes but I'd tied it in to her frontline flea stuff. But you saying that has made me think. No dandruff for about a week now - and I haven't had any chicken wings in the freezer. So you might be on to something :(

The Raw marrow bones are great. I would never use the ones from the petshop as they've been treated and cooked which (as mentioned) changes the makeup of the bone and they can splinter

A really harsh chewer can actually break bone off, and if one of my girls did I wouldn't let them have it any more as if they are chewing that hard they could crack or break a tooth. But one of mine can chew off chunks of cartilege from the end and I don't have a problem with that.

Wendy

Can I ask at what age can you give chicken wings and marrow bones ? ? ?

Julie

~Helen~ said:
That's weird, Lesley, because Josie has dandruff sometimes but I'd tied it in to her frontline flea stuff. But you saying that has made me think. No dandruff for about a week now - and I haven't had any chicken wings in the freezer. So you might be on to something :(
It's a shame too Helen because they love them but I give them egg with a bit of cheese in for brekkie at the minute so they don't mind, I think i will just do now and then and see what happens :thumbsup:

Lesley,you might find that as you're feeding a complete dry food,you are unbalancing their diet.If you want to feed raw foods,stick with them, with the addition of a natural biscuit & veggies.Or if you want to feed complete,feed just that.

It can all to often happen that by feeding the 2,their system finds it hard to cope with,& the first signs are usually skin & coat problems.

I feed my dogs raw chicken necks, they are just a cartledge but have quite a bit of meat on them. Bess has started to give the necks to her pups when they were only about 4 weeks old! I nearly had a haert attack when I came in and saw the little babies munching on the chicken necks. I try to feed my dogs food they have to use their teeth on, and raw if possible. However, if i want to put a condition on a dog I cook a ox tongue (or ox cheek), cut into chunks, with some brown rice or wholemeal pasta and veg. It is very rich, I feed it only every second day.

As far as bones go, you have to remember that animals are nowdays slaughtered at a very young age. Their bones are still very soft. Chickens are only few weeks oldand cows less then a year. In any case dogs' stomachs were designed to digest bones.

Lida

i also think that Ten would just swallow a chicken wing whole :blink: what would be the best type of thing for him to chew on to keep his teeth nice & healthy?

I feed my dogs whole carcasses, of either chicken or cornish hens. You could try that; Ten would not be able to swollow them whole :D

Or you could get a meat grinder and grind up the wings for him.

~Helen~ said:
That's interesting Juley  :)   my mum always gave our GSDs marrow bones and they loved them, but I haven't tried Josie with them because I read on another K9 thread that weight-bearing bones might not be so good because they shatter into sharp shards or something? I might have misunderstood though :unsure:

I think the reason one should avoid weight-bearing bones is because they are drier, more brittle, and far harder, therefore they could break your dogs' teeth. I feed them on occasion and have never had a problem but I take them away after an hour or so.

jue332 said:
Can I ask at what age can you give chicken wings and marrow bones ? ? ?
Julie

I don't give marrow bones to pups until they have all their adult teeth, but I do give chicken and guinea fowl necks to 7-8 week old pups. I would offer some wings to my pup when he was 8 weeks old but he couldn't chew them all on his own until he was about 12 weeks old I guess (going by memory), but he picked them clean :D

Guinea fowl necks. Gawd you are posh Louise. :lol: I can't even imagine where I'd get them aside from if I grew my own. :) There were some a couple of miles away from me. This I know as they kept getting out on the road. Ah I can think of a supply now. ;)

BeeJay said:
Guinea fowl necks.  Gawd you are posh Louise.  :lol:   I can't even imagine where I'd get them aside from if I grew my own.  :) There were some a couple of miles away from me.  This I know as they kept getting out on the road.  Ah I can think of a supply now.  ;)

There is a distribution plant in Montreal that supplies Montreal restaurants with chicken, duck, guinea fowl, cornish hen and quail. It's $0.50/kg for necks and carcasses. Wings are a bit more expensive. I also buy heart and liver. The raw feeders love this place and they love us because we buy what they would normally throw away (w00t)

Poeta said:
~Helen~ said:
That's interesting Juley  :)   my mum always gave our GSDs marrow bones and they loved them, but I haven't tried Josie with them because I read on another K9 thread that weight-bearing bones might not be so good because they shatter into sharp shards or something? I might have misunderstood though :unsure:

I think the reason one should avoid weight-bearing bones is because they are drier, more brittle, and far harder, therefore they could break your dogs' teeth. I feed them on occasion and have never had a problem but I take them away after an hour or so.

I actually find the marrow bones are very soft, my dogs eats them from the joint and I watch as the bone turns into a powder under their teeth no sharp splinters. I also get whole back bones which also crumble. As my bitch started to give the chicken necks to her pups at 4 weeks, I just went along with it. They really just played with them for couple of days, but soon started to nibble the meat. I also offer them large marrow bones and they pull of the bits of meat left on, it keeps them occupied for hours.

The only bones which i avoid (even raw) are lamb chop bones, they are very sharp and break into long splinters.

I do not think there is a such thing as a puppy too young to be given a bone. If the puppy is too young it will just lick it and leave it. No harm done.

Lida

Bess and Seraphina sharing a bone

This is a really interesting one ...

I do give mine knuckle bones once in a while - does wonders for the smelly teeth! But I always feed them raw and get the biggest hugest bones possible.

I have seen dogs which have needed either surgery (to remove a small chunk of bone which had become stuck in the gut or stomach) or sedation and several days worth of enemas along with fluid therapy to keep them alive because their gut has become so impacted with shards of bone. It is NOT a fun job, spending hours picking tiny crumbs off a huge faecal mass which has lodged inside a poor dog's colon. And as for the dog - well, it's a bit of a welfare issue, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I have also seen dogs which have had problems with pieces of cartilage becoming lodged in their alimentary tract, including one which became stuck in the oesophagus. It then dislodged but by this time had caused severe trauma to the inside of the oesophagus and the dog had eventually to be put to sleep.

So, things I have seen scare me when it comes to bones, rightly or wrongly, but I still think the benefits of a large raw bone to gnaw on once in a while outweigh the risks, I just don't do it too often!

ILKC,I am probably putting my head on the chopping block here,but i would imagine that 90+% of the dogs you see belong to the "jo public" who haven't always got much idea of feeding dogs.

The only time i've ever heard of a problem was where a greedy dog had been left for hours with a large marrow bone & had gnawed it down to nothing,end result was the bone had impacted in it's bowel.

With chicken wings/necks etc,the bones are digested,i've never seen any sign of bone when my lot do a poo.

I would be far more worried about feeding chews & processed bones to my dogs than feeding raw!

ILoveKettleChips said:
This is a really interesting one ...
I do give mine knuckle bones once in a while - does wonders for the smelly teeth!  But I always feed them raw and get the biggest hugest bones possible.

I have seen dogs which have needed either surgery (to remove a small chunk of bone which had become stuck in the gut or stomach) or sedation and several days worth of enemas along with fluid therapy to keep them alive because their gut has become so impacted with shards of bone.  It is NOT a fun job, spending hours picking tiny crumbs off a huge faecal mass which has lodged inside a poor dog's colon.  And as for the dog - well, it's a bit of a welfare issue, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I have also seen dogs which have had problems with pieces of cartilage becoming lodged in their alimentary tract, including one which became stuck in the oesophagus.  It then dislodged but by this time had caused severe trauma to the inside of the oesophagus and the dog had eventually to be put to sleep.

So, things I have seen scare me when it comes to bones, rightly or wrongly, but I still think the benefits of a large raw bone to gnaw on once in a while outweigh the risks, I just don't do it too often!

Your findings are certainly consistent with another US vet who is on another list that I'm on. She's very interesting on the subject of raw feeding and the risks that the owner takes. Personally I don't hide my head in the sand on this one (makes a change) :) I know that when I give my dogs chicken wings or bones there is a risk. Fingers crossed they don't pay the price.

I was thinking about the dandruff issue. I made a big error when I put some of my dogs on Burns dog food. I ignored the fact that Bean's coat started to look terrible. I mentioned how awful it was looking about a week before he became very ill as a result of him not being able to cope with that food. I should have acted on the evidence of my eyes and not in my trust in the food. Oddly enough if I'd have been feeding raw I would have acted. :b I also ignored the fact that Tally's coat was dry and his skin very flaky the hair falling out in clumps and breaking off. The food simply didn't suit them. It was the first time that I've ever had this happen. So what I'm trying to say is don't ignore the fact that your dogs coats aren't right.

Poeta said:
BeeJay said:
Guinea fowl necks.  Gawd you are posh Louise.   :lol:    I can't even imagine where I'd get them aside from if I grew my own.   :) There were some a couple of miles away from me.  This I know as they kept getting out on the road.  Ah I can think of a supply now.   ;)

There is a distribution plant in Montreal that supplies Montreal restaurants with chicken, duck, guinea fowl, cornish hen and quail. It's $0.50/kg for necks and carcasses. Wings are a bit more expensive. I also buy heart and liver. The raw feeders love this place and they love us because we buy what they would normally throw away (w00t)

What's a Cornish Hen? You could use Quail as a training treat. :lol:

alfyn said:
ILKC,I am probably putting my head on the chopping block here,but i would imagine that 90+% of the dogs you see belong to the "jo public" who haven't always got much idea of feeding dogs.The only time i've ever heard of a problem was where a greedy dog had been left for hours with a large marrow bone & had gnawed it down to nothing,end result was the bone had impacted in it's bowel.

With chicken wings/necks etc,the bones are digested,i've never seen any sign of bone when my lot do a poo.

I would be far more worried about feeding chews & processed bones to my dogs than feeding raw!

Like ILKC I saw a lot of dogs when I was vet nursing suffering the after effects of bones, and some indeed had serious and even fatal injuries. My own dog Alfie was chewing away on a marrow bone in the garden while I was inside decorating, and when I went out he had eaten EVERY BIT :( Later that night he got up crying, went to the door and collapsed, dragging his legs as if he was paralysed. :( When I took him to the vet the next morning, he was perfectly back to normal, but the vet thought one of the sharp bits of bone must have been pressing on a nerve. :(

So I am on the fence, as I can see lots of benefits in natural feeding, but my experiences have made me very wary.

The other side of it not yet mentioned, is the behavioural issues. Some dogs get more possessive over bones than anything else. My GSD/Doberman x only ever growled at me once - when I went to take a bone away from her (a cooked lamb bone that SOMEONE else had given to her :angry: ). She never had bones after that, as I didn't want her or me to be in that situation again. :(

i feed my dogs chicken wings but two of the girls wont touch them :blink:

i also feed tripe for tea mixed in with iams, but i am now wondering in this isnt right and i should feed one or the other :unsure: my dogs look ok, they all have nice coats but they do all have dry skin :wacko: i want whats best for my dogs but there are so many different ways to feed im just not sure what to do :eek: :blink: :wacko:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back