The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Christmas Cracker Meeting

john m said:
Whippet racing to take place in 4 weight groups @ 1/2 yd/lbWont expect too many lightweight winners then Geoff

Ithgink the 1/2yd / lb makes a good change its been done before at highgate club and made for some brilliant racing :thumbsup:

weathergirls said:
john m said:
Whippet racing to take place in 4 weight groups @ 1/2 yd/lbWont expect too many lightweight winners then Geoff

Ithgink the 1/2yd / lb makes a good change its been done before at highgate club and made for some brilliant racing :thumbsup:

If Linda and Hazel think its fair, that'll do for me :thumbsup:

For the last 2 meetings its been done at a yard a lb, so it makes it fair.

The Boss

ps at the end of the day, its a social gathering and a bit of fun, with 2 runs for £5 :thumbsup:

I aint complaining for myself Geoff as being the weight my dog is it suits him fine, and i also agree with a variation of handicap, just hope that the variation will include one meeting at 1 and a half yard per lb, as that used to be used in the past for bend race meetings so every one gets a chance at winning a race.

Also agree its a great social evening as well as the racing, here's to many more. :cheers:

john m said:
I aint complaining for myself Geoff as being the weight my dog is it suits him fine, and i also agree with a variation of handicap, just hope that the variation will include one meeting at 1 and a half yard per lb, as that used to be used in the past for bend race meetings so every one gets a chance at winning a race.

Also agree its a great social evening as well as the racing, here's to many more. :cheers:

I don't think 1 and a half yd/lb should see light of day it went out with the ark personally I think for a club a time handicap advance and retard is the fairest with the 1/2yd /lb and yd/lb ABCD say every month for a change 2ft/lb is even better this is just my opinion for bend and straight

Last edited by a moderator:
imo all whippet racing should be @yd per lb as soon as you go less gives advantages to larger dogs :- " which in turn people breed them to get bigger :- " and before long we aint got no whippets left (w00t) and i beleave a 16/17lber is more whippet than a 35lber even if same litter as you get thro backs out of any breeding :thumbsup:

weathergirls said:
john m said:

I don't think 1 and a half yd/lb should see light of day it went out with the ark personally I think for a club a time handicap advance and retard is the fairest with the 1/2yd /lb and yd/lb ABCD say every month for a change 2ft/lb is even better this is just my opinion for bend and straight

/quote]

Have to say John 1 1/2yd/lb had entered my mind, as if we cater for the 'bigger' whippets why should we not do the same for the 'smaller' and to be fair we see very few lightweights win on the bends further than their classes and when i say small i mean under 20lb how often do we see a 16/18lber win out right just think whats good for the big ens should also be done for the little ones too :) if we are trying to be fair all round as we have some cracking little dogs who run bends people say what chance has a 32lber of winning giving all that yardage away but to be fair what chance has a 16lber not getting enough start.

u best get some new dentures mr santa claus or the kids will be havin nightmares

lol (w00t) (w00t)

no way id run a light weight at half yards on bends :( straights yes :)

Its a good job the people who run heavyweight dogs on the straights don't say"I'm not running my dog on the straights at a yard a lb" :- " ,because if so we'd get an early bath!!

i know what your saying Geoff but come on the decent heavy weights can win straights at half yards as can good light weights but a 16 to 20 pounder or up to even 22 23 have no chance on bends at half yards but good luck to all

why not have 2 main sup finals one at yard a pound up to 25 and the other up to 35 at half yards i know you've put alott into this fletch and I'm not trying to knock you for it :thumbsup: to be honest the champs would probably run better at this as it gives bigger dogs a better achievement on straights

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you should run your xmas cracker event the way it was planned geoff :D ........I'm sure in the new Year there is plenty of time to look at new ways of running it, with lots of variations I guess. I imagine it's quite a lot of hard work to set club meetings up like yours. We're looking forward to the social bit of it more than anything (w00t) Think we might have a bus full (9 seats not 52!!) if that's ok? Will let you know dogs before 15th :thumbsup:

chris

Geoff is his own man, and he will do the best for all whippet racers as he has always done, i only pointed out that this handicap to be used at the next meeting did not suit the smaller dogs, it was in no way a criticism of geoffs ability to run an event and i would not like it to seem so. I am sure that given time Geoff will vary the handicap to give all racers a chance of winning a race, but it should also be what it is, two races for a fiver and a great social event to boot with good company,Well done Geoff and Hazel for the past, present and the future of this club :cheers: :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back