The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Discussion On Rehoming Show Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dogs are all pets, living in the home as part of our family. They will be with us for life. :huggles:

Showing has become a really enjoyable hobby for me and something i have long term plans to enjoy! :)

When i have a litter myself it will be for a puppy to show. That puppy would again live as part of the family, be it in my home, or that of a family member. However, if i don't think there is a 'show prospect' in the litter, i won't keep one. Now some may disagree with this BUT, this is being realistic as nobody can keep endless numbers of pets! This may involve looking for a fantastic home for a 6 month old pup, but i would believe it to be the right thing to do. The same requirements would be wanted from any prospective owner as those of people wanting 8 week old pups.

As already stated - any dog that does stay has a home for life within my family.

Those of you who see me at shows will know that there is plenty of interaction between myself and my dogs. They get fussed and talked to practically the whole time we're in the ring and spend a lot of time sat on my knee watching the judging! 8)

Sorry for being as usual being deeply unpopular

However FWIW if you can't tolerate having a dog that disappoints please give up showing. IMHO you make up your own mind about your dog, don't follow fashion, if he pleases you you will stick by him, whatever the (mistaken) judges think.

No wonder I haven't got a CC yet (thank goodness...)

rls22 said:
Wendy that is a very well made point.  :thumbsup:
I know that I could never rehome one of my dogs if it didn't make 'the grade' but I completely understand people who do when they have the dogs very best interest at heart. 

This is a difficult subject, which we're all never going to agree on and like Wendy says we all have different views on every aspect of dog ownership.

i agree with you Rachel :thumbsup: , iv now got 7 dogs, the 3 that i bought for showing are not really going to make the grade but as i cant bring myself to rehome and i havent the room for anymore its just tough luck on my part as far as the showing goes.

but thats just me and i think people that do rehome do so carefully and to be honest what they do with their dogs is up to them, far worse happens then dogs being rehomed!

Angela Bayley said:
Sorry for being as usual being deeply unpopularHowever FWIW if you can't tolerate having a dog that disappoints please give up showing. IMHO you make up your own mind about your dog, don't follow fashion, if he pleases you you will stick by him, whatever the (mistaken) judges think.

I do understand what you're saying Angela - and as I've already said I would never rehome my dogs. They're here to stay forever. :huggles:

But, I don't quite understand your other point about following fashion - I assume that you don't like the type of whippet that is winning at the moment? Apologies if I have read that completely wrong! :oops:

My dogs are first and foremost pets and a part of the family..some have been shown, some currently are still shown..some have been natural show girls, others can take it or leave it..with the ones that dont enjoy showing, we have given them a run at it, but if they dont enjoy we stop showing..there is little or no point in showing un unhappy dog that doesnt want to be there. I love my dogs, each and every one of them regardless of what they have done/not done in the ring. I personally wouldnt rehome a dog because it disliked being shown, but showing to us, was just a hobby..nothing more serious than that. Many show dog, have no life..they arent allowed to run or play for fear of damaging their coats or hurting themselves..what life is this? We have all seen these poor dogs stuck in their crates, allowed out for a pee and back into their 'prison'. For these dogs, i imagine that if they are rehomed becuase they are not success stories..life probably improves tenfold. Its not up to anyone to judge another..each person will do what suits them in the end, regardless of what others say. At the end of the day, whether we come home with a red ribbon or no ribbon, i ALWAYS bring home the best dogs. I wouldnt rehome my children if they werent good at anything and the dogs are as much a part of the family. :D

I bought a bitch puppy a few years back (not a Whippet) she was the pick of the litter as the breeder was not keeping a pup..she was from CH parents with several CH all the way back through her pedigree. However, by the time she reached about 20w old it became obvious for various reasons that she would never 'make the grade'..she LOVED being shown, she was a total natural, but due to wrong coat/ears..you name it..there was little or no point in entering shows. The breeder wanted to see her and we met up..the second she saw her she made a face and said 'oh, my god..DO NOT let people see her..' she never spoke to my little wiggly happy to meet everyone pup, she asked us to hand her over there and then and she would rehome her and breed us another pup, we said no way and that was the last we saw of the breeder, we received a snippy email as we had been at a CH show and had entered the pup NFC - she was HORRIFIED to see us at the show. The email said basically that we were NOT to take her out and about as she was 'an embarrasment to the breed...' i believe she told another person in the breed that she sincerely hoped that the dog would go to ground after a rabbit and not see the light of day again...' Nice. :angry:

Four years on i have the sweetest, most loving, clever little dog who is a JOY to live with..i will never regret keeping her.

Last edited by a moderator:
rls22,I did say not ALL dog showers are like that,Thank you. But to some it is "the be all and end all to win"And they want to re-home a non showy dog! :angry:

Abbey,Thanks for some honesty :thumbsup:

Angela Bayley said:
Sorry for being as usual being deeply unpopularHowever FWIW if you can't tolerate having a dog that disappoints please give up showing. IMHO you make up your own mind about your dog, don't follow fashion, if he pleases you you will stick by him, whatever the (mistaken) judges think.

I presume that comment is directed at me??

You obviously didn't read my post properly.

I started showing when i was 13 years old - with dogs that won nothing.

I didn't say anything about not tolerating a dog that 'disappoints'. I said that it was impossible to have an infinite number of dogs - particularly in my situation as we have them living as pets inside our home - not out in kennels. I said that in the future i would be looking to keep a puppy with 'show prospect'. I also said that I think. I didn't say anything about 'following fashion' - what exactly does that mean??

In terms of making my own mind up about a dog - i do. I will continue to do this in the future with input from people who's opinion i respect.

Just for your info - i didn't win one 1st place with my boy at a champ show last year. Perhaps some people would have given up with him?? I did rate him and have campaigned him successfully this year. He is my dog in a million and i wouldn't swap him for any other because he is so special to me. :huggles:

Im not trying to be rude or argumentative - i just don't think my post was read properly before you made your comments. :)

phill said:
rls22,I did say not ALL dog showers are like that,Thank you. But to some it is "the be all and end all to win"And they want to re-home a non showy dog! :angry:
Abbey,Thanks for some honesty :thumbsup:

Sorry Phill, I read your post a bit quickly first time I think - but nearly ALL show dog owners are not like that.

I do think you have got the wrong impression. The people that you are talking about really are a tiny majority, thank goodness! :- "

And I do think we are all being honest here. Surely it's a good thing that we all love our dogs whether they win or not :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think some people are being very fair here :oops: i know through having showjumping horses that if one of them didnt make the grade for whatever reason it was far more realistic for me to find it a home where it could fulfill its potential happily than have it stuck with me doing nothng .Does this make me any less caring no i dont think so because if it has reached the point where i do rehome any of my animals its because i love them so much i want whats best for them its an agonising decision and not one i make lightly i can tell you i would never let my oldies go or horses that became injured i have a field full now it costs a great deal of time and money to look after any animal so in my opinion you have to do whats right and be realistic i really dont think the lady who is looking for a home for her dog has took the decision to do so lightly and this in no way what so ever reflects on the showing world there are good and bad in every sport wether we like it or not GOOD LUCK IN FINDING THE FOREVER HOME FOR YOUR LITTLE GIRL :luck: :huggles:

Showjumping/horses is slightly different from "showing" dogs :- "

And if you end up with a field full of horses or a house full of dogs that "did'nt make the grade" Then STOP getting them and be happy with what "pets" you have! :( It must be like a conveyor belt for SOME one in -one out.

We will all have to agree to disagree i think. :thumbsup:

whatever phill i really dont think anybody will agree on such a thing after all we are all different i think anything we ask our beloved animals to take part in has the same principles wether its showing dogs or riding horses if you love them enough you will do whats right by them i never said i just throw my animals out when they cant do what i ask of them i personally think somebody who has the time to enjoy them in a different capacity to me might as well do so . I work hard to keep my animals and dont keep adding to them as you imply i have 3 out in the field 2 i was lucky enough to have as a child and the one i have now im sure whatever janifers decides it will be the right descicion for her :thumbsup:

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: I just cannot believe how some people can miss the point of the decision I took to rehome Angel.

MY DOGS ARE NOT KENNEL DOGS WHO ONLY EVER SEE LIGHT OF DAY WHEN THEY GO TO A SHOW. HOW DARE YOU CASTIGATE MY CHARACTER LIKE THAT?

I am not going to justify my actions to you 'do gooders' who have not one iota of a clue of the length of time it took to make my decision. In all the years I have kept dogs, nearly, 40 I have rehomed a grand total of 7 dogs, which were not puppies, or is one supposed to keep all that one breeds, now that WOULD be irresponsible.

I thank those who have pm'd me or said their piece on the topic itself. I am now in the same frame of mind as Jan Doherty regarding de-registering from the site. Over the past 18 months since certain members joined the forum, there has been much denigration, castigration of character and sometimes downright libellous things said about various things.

Remember that once you have published something that has negative tones about it and which slurs a person's character, it is libellous, as it is in the public domain, and therefore prosecutable in a civil court. Now if any of you feel like taking me on, then fine, I would look forward to it. It would cost you more to defend it than it would me, as it would cost me nowt, tiddley squat as I don't need to pay a solictor!

Therefore think very carefully about publishing anything further which slurs my character or name as I will not hesitate to take action against those who publish such utterances.

Nigel, I would be grateful if you would remove my name as a moderator for the IG forum, which I started please and I will post no more on K9 as it is no longer something I wish to be associated with.

As for Angel she is going to make someone very happy so it's a win win situation for both parties.

Personally, I would never be critical of anyone wanting to re-home a dog, whatever their reasons for rehoming. This is because as far as I'm concerned if they've come to that decision then they've already severed the bond they had with that dog.

I agree some people's reasons are dubious, it's a common affair in racing and saddens me. However, I would sooner a dog moved on to a loving home where people cherished that dog just for being itself rather than be tolerated by someone who felt they should keep the dog on for fear of criticism.

I would never publicly criticise someone for rehoming a dog, you may put a potential new owner off contacting by such comments and all that's achieved is an unwanted dog remaining with it's owner.

I stress, my comments are not at any specific individual, I've no axe to grind with anyone but as far as I'm concerned, the first priority should be the future well being of the dog.

Jan - as we spoke the other day all I've wanted to say is that Angel is now going to be in a lovely new home and I know you've done the best thing for her :huggles:

We know you've done the best thing for her so I hope she has a lovely time in her new home :luck:

DONT GO JANIFERS !!!!! :unsure: dont let the minority spoil it for you theres plenty of us that understand your decision hope yuo are ok :wub:

janfiers said:
:rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant: I just cannot believe how some people can miss the point of the decision I took to rehome Angel.
MY DOGS ARE NOT KENNEL DOGS WHO ONLY EVER SEE LIGHT OF DAY WHEN THEY GO TO A SHOW.  HOW DARE YOU CASTIGATE MY CHARACTER LIKE THAT?

I am not going to justify my actions to you 'do gooders' who have not one iota of a clue of the length of time it took to make my decision.  In all the years I have kept dogs, nearly, 40 I have rehomed a grand total of 7 dogs, which were not puppies, or is one supposed to keep all that one breeds, now that WOULD be irresponsible.

I thank those who have pm'd me or said their piece on the topic itself.  I am now in the same frame of mind as Jan Doherty regarding de-registering from the site.  Over the past 18 months since certain members joined the forum, there has been much denigration, castigration of character and sometimes downright libellous things said about various things. 

Remember that once you have published something that has negative tones about it and which slurs a person's character, it is libellous, as it is in the public domain, and therefore prosecutable in a civil court.  Now if any of you feel like taking me on, then fine, I would look forward to it.  It would cost you more to defend it than it would me, as it would cost me nowt, tiddley squat as I don't need to pay a solictor!

Therefore think very carefully about publishing anything further which slurs my character or name as I will not hesitate to take action against those who publish such utterances.

Nigel, I would be grateful if you would remove my name as a moderator for the IG forum, which I started please and I will post no more on K9 as it is no longer something I wish to be associated with.

As for Angel she is going to make someone very happy so it's a win win situation for both parties.

i have no problem with you rehoming your dogs, but it seems rather odd that you post a question then get upset that a percentage disagree with you, its an open forum its aim is to instigate open discussion and the fact that your challenging members to quote "if any of you feel like taking me on" is rather sad

wild whippies said:
Personally, I would never be critical of anyone wanting to re-home a dog, whatever their reasons for rehoming. This is because as far as I'm concerned if they've come to that decision then they've already severed the bond they had with that dog.I agree some people's reasons are dubious, it's a common affair in racing and saddens me. However, I would sooner a dog moved on to a loving home where people cherished that dog just for being itself rather than be tolerated by someone who felt they should keep the dog on for fear of criticism.

I would never publicly criticise someone for rehoming a dog, you may put a potential new owner off contacting by such comments and all that's achieved is an unwanted dog remaining with it's owner.

I stress, my comments are not at any specific individual, I've no axe to grind with anyone but as far as I'm concerned, the first priority should be the future well being of the dog.

Just a point of clarification here. Jac it's NOT common in peddie whippet racing at all. It's very uncommon. There are a few people who will rehome dogs that don't make the grade but they are in the minority. For most of us they are our pets first and foremost and racing dogs second.

Just want to confirm what Beejay has said there - in my limited experience this only happens very rarely (ped racing dogs being rehomed because they are not quick enough)

I hope that Angel has a lovely time in her new home. It must be a very hard but personal decision to make and only the person involved knows if it is the right one :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: i also agree with beejay, our whippets are pets/friends first and if they are not fantastic runners.....then thats the chance you take. the racing is at most 1 day aweek only....they live as part of our family everyday :thumbsup:

id never dream of rehoming because they didnt make the grade on the track.

please note that this is my opinion on my dogs :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on what your personal view is of 'common' maybe it's just all too common for my personal liking ;) When I posted previously I did say 'whippet racing' and made no direct comment to either the peds or the non-peds. As I know of ped racers that have been rehomed, I don't see why I should have made my commments directly at non-peds either. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back