Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Discussion On Rehoming Show Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

phill

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=8pt]Mod Note - Have split this topic from the original found here http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=35242 as it had become it's own discussion and deserved its own thread.[/SIZE]

Sorry i can't understand why Angel can't give yourself lots of love and affection?

You are willing to "get rid" of her because she won't do showing? :(

My Dog has been going to Ring classes to see how he does(done ok) But i would never think of letting him go if he did'nt want to show.He is a absolutley adored pet first and foremost and love seeing him grow, run and play with us :lol:

I not attacking you,I just don't understand the reasoning? Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got a bitch who hated being shown so we stopped but we didnt put her away she is like all our dogs a pet first and show dog second. Kim is now 8 yrs old and we wouldnt part with her for the world :wub: .

I agree with one of the earlier post try getting someone else to handle your dog for you. :thumbsup:

i once wondered why a certain persons dogs in a breed i was in always looked so full of themselves and happy to be in the ring and showed their heads off.it was cos the dogs spent most of their lives in a kennel and run so when they went to a show it was like a holiday for the dog and it was alert and full of happiness to be free!and thats why their dogs showed so well! :- " if a dog lives in the home has lots of attention,gets its walkies etc etc then when it goes to a show its not that big a deal.think about it .if you were stuck in a kennel for hours on end and probalby only got taken out for a bit of exercise or to go to a show wouldnt you be alert and interested in everything when you go there?

some dogs love showing and some hate it.in the experience i had when i sold a pup to someone to live in the home as the totally adored pet the dog wouldnt show cos showing wasnt that interesting to the dog as it had a much better life outside the ring! ;)

i had dogs that were travel sick, couldnt get the weight off cos they were lazy buggers, old age pensioners and so on.but i still kept them.i had the luxury of having time,money and room to do so.not everyone is as lucky as i was.if you havent got all three of these things in abundace its hard to keep a dog that is going to take the place of a dog that would maybe enjoy showing and that would cost the same to feed etc.not everyones circumstances are the same.some people are only able to keep a couple of dogs or so and so if the dogs a no go for showing i think its better to let them go to a pet home than keep them and not have a dog to show and so miss out or even worse to drag the poor dog to shows every week knowing the dog hates it.every ones circumstances are different so we cant judge what anyone else does till we walk a mile in their shoes :thumbsup:

I dont think anyone is trying to JUDGE anyone, atleast i hope not. :thumbsup:

As a lot of these posts say, people are different & so are dogs. Yes i think sometimes dogs can appear to be happy in a ring if they dont have a great home life BUT also some dogs are just natural born performers & exhibitionists :D

Same as why are some people actors & some people are'nt? :- "

Same as "showing" is the be all & end all" to some & others love their dogs just for being them & not what they can or cant win.

We are all different & our dogs :huggles:

Yes i think sometimes dogs can appear to be happy in a ring if they dont have a great home life BUT also some dogs are just natural born performers & exhibitionists :D

Have to say i totally agree here. ALL my dogs are bought up the same, given the same freedom, exercise everyday, fed the same food, loved & looked after EXACTLY the same.

BUT, i have had those that absolutely adored the showring & were just naturals & i have had those that HATED it with a passion no matter what i did to try & make it fun for them :b

It is as difficult to change a dogs inbred temperament as it is to change a persons personality, but if showing isn't the be all & end all, then it really isnt the end of the world either way. You still take the same dog home :thumbsup:

I do agree with Kris, obviously kennel dogs consider show as an exciting outing, while mine just look at me like if saying "...and i thought we are going to the park for run :( .....". Of-course, dogs are all individuals and there are exceptions. Also I have had dogs who absolutely hated shows but i persevered and in the end were OK with it. One ended up loving it, made friends with my friends and their dogs, but it took almost 2 years to get there. He started winning when i got a young girl to handle him. She was quite short 14 y.o. and he was 33" Borzoi, who played up something awful for me. While he did not put a foot wrong for her, glancig with adoring looks at her and getting in group wins :lol: . I was somewhats jealous.

Unfortunately, a breeder who wants to continue breeding has to concentrate on the best they get. Keeping all the dogs which they love but which did not quite turn out will only mean that they end up with more dogs that is fair. There is nothing wrong or cruel to find a dog loving permanent pet home.

Seraphina said:
I do agree with Kris, obviously kennel dogs consider show as an exciting outing, while mine just look at me like if saying "...and i thought we are going to the park for run  :( .....".  Of-course, dogs are all individuals and there are exceptions.  Also I have had dogs who absolutely hated shows but i persevered  and in the end were OK with it.  One ended up loving it, made friends with my friends and their dogs, but it took almost 2 years to get there.  He started winning when i got a young girl to handle him.  She was quite short 14 y.o. and he was 33" Borzoi, who played up something awful for me.  While he did not put a foot wrong for her, glancig with adoring looks at her and getting in group wins  :lol:   .  I was somewhats jealous.
Unfortunately, a breeder who wants to continue breeding has to concentrate on the best they get.  Keeping all the dogs which they love but which did not quite turn out will only mean that they end up with more dogs that is fair.  There is nothing wrong or cruel to find a dog loving permanent pet home.

totally agree with you :thumbsup:

ever thought it could be the dogs are not doin wot they naturely bred for,u forcing them to be puppets and they not

kris said:
i once wondered why a certain persons dogs in a breed i was in always looked so full of themselves and happy to be in the ring and showed their heads off.it was cos the dogs spent most of their lives in a kennel and run so when they went to a show it was like a holiday for the dog and it was alert and full of happiness to be free!and thats why their dogs showed so well! :- " if a dog lives in the home has lots of attention,gets its walkies etc etc then when it goes to a show its not that big a deal.think about it .if you were stuck in a kennel for hours on end and probalby only got taken out for a bit of exercise or to go to a show wouldnt you be alert and interested in everything when you go there?

It s been a while since I have read such utter rubbish.

I have had experience with both dogs that are kennel dogs and house dogs, our last Champion is a house dog and was still enjoying his shows at 9 years old and winning RCC.

We have also had dogs that just don't like showing.

I have had gundogs that really enjoy working and other that don't.

As for not doing a job that is natural, how many other breeds undertake task that they were never originally bred for.

It always amazes me how differently people are treated on here if they need to rehome a dog..........if the dog is a pet that someone can't cope with, or their circs change and they can no longer give it the time it needs, then they are roundly condemmed by all and sundry (or at least some are)

But if it is a show bred dog that doesn't make the grade or won't show itself in the ring, it's seen as understandable to find a new loving home and move on to the the next potential winner.

I am absolutely not commenting on your decision Jan, I would not presume to do so!

But I am commenting on the double standards we get on these boards

I do not believe that if you stick your dog in a kennel for hours on end and it will make a better show dog. I believe in order to have a good show dog it has to have that bond with its handler and more importantly be a healthy, happy dog. In my mind a dog stuck in a kennel not seeing its owner much and having minimal walks is a bit cruel.

Got to agree with Mark sorry

:luck: Good luck in finding Angel a loving home am sure the person who gets her will spoil her to bits :wub: its a shame things didnt work for you. As some of the posts say everyone's situations differ :thumbsup:

My dogs live in my house, they are with me all day and night, we spend about 2 hours a day going for walk in the park or on the beach. My friend has a dozen of dogs kept in a kennel (they do not come inside a house), she does spend lot of time with the dogs but the only totally individual attention they get when they are being groomed or trained, they have a large area (acre?) to run in but are never taken off the property except to go to a show. Does anybody really doubt that house dogs see the world differently then kennel dogs? :)

urchin said:
It always amazes me how differently people are treated on here if they need to rehome a dog..........if the dog is a pet that someone can't cope with, or their circs change and they can no longer give it the time it needs, then they are roundly condemmed by all and sundry (or at least some are)But if it is a show bred dog that doesn't make the grade or won't show itself in the ring, it's seen as understandable to find a new loving home and move on to the the next potential winner.

I am absolutely not commenting on your decision Jan, I would not presume to do so!

i agree just thinking the same thing quite amusing to see the messages of :luck: yet a guy not long back came on to try and rehome a dog and was slated?

masta said:
urchin said:
It always amazes me how differently people are treated on here if they need to rehome a dog..........if the dog is a pet that someone can't cope with, or their circs change and they can no longer give it the time it needs, then they are roundly condemmed by all and sundry (or at least some are)But if it is a show bred dog that doesn't make the grade or won't show itself in the ring, it's seen as understandable to find a new loving home and move on to the the next potential winner.

i agree just thinking the same thing quite amusing to see the messages of :luck: yet a guy not long back came on to try and rehome a dog and was slated?

i too agree , it one rule for some and another for others .

i wish anyone :luck: in finding there dog a new home if they need to part with it for whatever reason .

we may not agree with some peoples reasons for having to home a dog on but at the end of the day , its none of our business .

Well , most of my gang are in kennels when Im out ( apart from Mayzee and Buffee , oh and Mollee and then of course Montee stays in at night now( he was the one getting them `singing ` at 6.30 am every morning :oops:

Any how , what I was going to say was ,

They are mainly house dogs . get taken for nice long runs on the racecourse most days and live ,IMO, the life of Riley . Harvee hates showing , India s not over keen , but all my others love it . ask any `old` shower about Mayzee :D most peps said I didn't need to be there , as she knew exactly what was wanted of her and she lapped up every minute of it .

Showing is our` hobby ` and lets be honest ( and this isn't a dig at you Jan ) most dogs would give their right leg to be an only child or part of a smaller `gang ` . On the very odd occasion Ive had to re-home one of mine , when Ive visited after they are well pleased to see me , but love their new mum and dad just as much .

Only yesterday i went to visit Fleur , who lives with Harvee and Indias 2 brothers, she went absolutely berserk at me , jumping up high :oops: and squealing , but she was happy to stay there when I left :huggles:

Fleur was re-homed as i was having trouble with her and Buffee :( , who really hated each other :( and as Nick and Penny loved her, I asked if they would like to have her and they jumped at the chance . OH was not very happy as Fleur is his favourite :oops: , but she coming back for her holidays . The state Buffee is in at present the cage would be the safest place for her o:)

Every case has to be judged separately . If someone has a whippet or any breed and they are thinking about rehoming it , then the best thing to do is just that . asap , and then the dog can settle down in a forever home :luck:

I never knew what upset Zinzin but her last two shows she took the shakes and crouchies!! She nearly shook herself off the table at Crufts and although she moved very well she hunched herself when stacked.

She was clearly miserable at shows so I stopped taking her. I suspect it was the venue noise because she's always been extremely sensitive to loud noise and hates tractors and thunder and even heavy rain at home.

I started doing obedience with her instead and she achieved a very high standard and was starting to compete before we had to give that up because of an accident I had. What great fun we did have together then and now she's in graceful and loving retirement on my sofa :wub: :wub:

Interestingly I had a phone call from a lady looking for a whippet as a pet only,

she would like an older *bitch, i.e not a puppy as she also has another dog that is getting on in years and feels it wouldn't be fair to have a pup 'ragging' her to bits.

Now this sounds like a lovely home for a dog, like Jax has said this is going to allow a dog a loving home with just one other dog to share the ownership of a owner.

I think people have to remember that dogs are not humans, they have much more simple needs, food, affection & belonging. As much as you might like to think that your dogs would waste away if that didn't come from you, as you have had them from a puppy & they would miss you so much, this is just not the case.

In a pack environment the 'top dog' or pack leader will change over the years and the remianing pack would then change allegiance within hours without a care in the world for the old leader.

*Mark* said:
kris said:

It s been a while since I have read such utter rubbish.

I have had experience with both dogs that are kennel dogs and house dogs, our last Champion is a house dog and was still enjoying his shows at 9 years old and winning RCC.

We have also had dogs that just don't like showing.

I have had gundogs that really enjoy working and other that don't.

As for not doing a job that is natural, how many other breeds undertake task that they were never originally bred for.

could you please explain your comment?which part of my statement is 'utter rubbish'?as you dont even know the person or the dogs to whom im referring how can you make such a sweeping statement? :blink: i too have had experience both with kennel dogs and house dogs.and i stand by what i stated.yes there are exceptions to every rule i understand that thats why i never said that ALL kennel dogs or ALL house dogs abide by this .i too have had champions still winning in veteran classes.so what?ive also had 9 month old pups who have won cc and bob.what does that prove?ive won with kennel dogs and with house dogs.im talking about a person i know and you dont so how on earth you can make such a comment is beyond me.im also basing my comments on over 30 years experience of showing and handling dogs.you are only talking about your own dogs i presume.im talking about someone elses.your experience might be different to mine and other peoples.it doesnt mean that my comments or anyone else's are 'utter rubbish'

saraquele said:
masta said:
urchin said:

i too agree , it one rule for some and another for others .

i wish anyone :luck: in finding there dog a new home if they need to part with it for whatever reason .

we may not agree with some peoples reasons for having to home a dog on but at the end of the day , its none of our business .

:thumbsup: yep, I totally agree, there seem to be double standards on here.

I sympathise with anyone having to decide to rehome their dog, and no one can judge another until they're in that persons place, but I just hope all the sympathy still extends from the same people when it's someone else wanting to rehome for another reason.

:luck: :luck: to Angel, hope she finds a loving home where she'll be adored by her owner and they will adore her back o:)

if a dog lives in the home has lots of attention,gets its walkies etc etc then when it goes to a show its not that big a deal.think about it .if you were stuck in a kennel for hours on end and probalby only got taken out for a bit of exercise or to go to a show wouldnt you be alert and interested in everything when you go there?

This is the part of your 'sweeping statement' that I don't agree with.

As for having a veteran still showing, I didn't make a big deal of this, it was to support the fact that a house dog along side a kennel dog could enjoy showing.

You started you statement as a comment about one dog, you then generalise this by asking us to think about your theory.

'Utter rubbish' is an uncalled for harsh remark sorry about that, however I still don't agree with your theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back