The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Front Leg Amputation

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm so sorry to hear about Arnie, but glad that he's doign well so far. Animals really are amazing.
Ten weeks ago, my greyhound Max completely smashed his leg and had a depressed skull fracture just from falling in the garden. His head is now healed, his leg has a metal plate in it. He was out of bandages in 6 weeks and walking around from day 1. Obviously he still has a long way to go - he having an assessment tomorrow and an xray at the end of the month - he may still lose his leg if there is no bone growth, but I am trying to think positively.

I can only gues how much trauma and stree you have been through - I know how tough it has been for me, but everyone on here has besen wonderful.

Now I've just got to get Tiny my other greyhound sorted - he has had a nervous breakdown from having to walk out on his own and is on diazepam! Yes, honestly!!! :wacko: He is so dependent on Max that he is struggling to cope with walking on his own.
Oh Claire, you poor poor thing! Im so sorry to hear about Max. I will keep my fingers crossed for you for his check tomorrow and pray he doesn't lose a leg (if he does, I will be here for you).

Yes its been so stressful but I have had so much positivity from this board it really has helped.

As for Tiny, what is there to say? Im so sad to hear he's struggling. Its amazing to think of the bond between animals. He must be feeling Max's trauma and internalising it. Just as a question, if he is stressed out have you ever tried the DAP (its a plug in that looks like an air freshener and is very calming to the dog)...it works wonders with Arnie because he's a little stress head.

I hope all is well with Max and Tiny. Thanks for your good wishes.

Monday tomorrow....part of me is dreading going back to work and the other part is so pleased because I can ring up and find out how Arnie is! I will be first on the phone at 9am!!!! I don't care what they think!

Nite all

x

:wacko: well ive missed this thread :wacko:

but ive just read the whole lot :sweating: and im soooo pleased arnie is on the mend and everything went well for him :thumbsup:

fingers crossed he will soon be home and have you waiting on him hand and paw ;)

Sooo glad you didnt get a phone call :thumbsup: pleased to read Vinnie is doing well :)

What a home coming he will have :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarah, So glad Arnie is on the road to recovery :huggles:

I'm sure you will be amazed how well he will do on 3 legs, I know I was with Jesse :wub:

Looking forward to seeing some post-op pics of Arnie :wub:

Take care, don't forget to give me a call if you need a chat anytime. :huggles:

Sonia and Star xXx

Any news this morning about the big chap?

Hope all is well and he's continuing to improve :thumbsup:

Hello everyone.

Just spoke to Arnie's nurse and she said he is doing really well. He had a comfortable weekend and they are starting to lower his painkillers. She said he was spaced out for most of Saturday but has been more like himself today. He went out for a walk but had a little fall because he tried to lift his leg (bless him) but recovered okay from that and decided to squat afterwards.

He still has two drains in and one is draining nicely (7ml - I'm not sure if that's good or bad) but the other one has stopped so may be blocked. She said that I should hear from the vet that did the operation later on today and he can tell me more about how he is doing and when he is likely to come home.

She said he doesn't appear to be stressed but it does say in his notes that he has a tendency to be a stress head so they are giving him lots of cuddles and kisses....

I know its all positive but I had a little tear afterwards (Im back at work today so have to keep taking myself off to cry quietly on my own!).

So I guess he is making progress and doing everything that is expected of him. I miss him so much.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

x

so glad to hear that sarah he will be back where he belongs in no time sending you both lots of positve vibes xx :huggles: :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear it all sounds good , hope he is back home with you soon :luck:

OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! Just spoke to Arnie's vet and he said that Arnie is doing really well and he is very pleased with his progress...he said he has adjusted very well and he is going to review him tonight. If he takes the drains out tonight he may be able to come home tomorrow or Wednesday!!!!!

I am so happy I want to scream....too bad I'm at work! SO, I thought I'd tell my K9 friends....my boy will be home with me very soon!!! Wooohoooo!

Okay, calming down now....

I read somewhere that elevated bowls are good for tripod dogs...what do you think? I may have to run out and buy him some tonight.

Hope everyone's having a great day, and thanks for all the continued support.

x

OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! Just spoke to Arnie's vet and he said that Arnie is doing really well and he is very pleased with his progress...he said he has adjusted very well and he is going to review him tonight. If he takes the drains out tonight he may be able to come home tomorrow or Wednesday!!!!!
I am so happy I want to scream....too bad I'm at work! SO, I thought I'd tell my K9 friends....my boy will be home with me very soon!!! Wooohoooo!

Okay, calming down now....

I read somewhere that elevated bowls are good for tripod dogs...what do you think? I may have to run out and buy him some tonight.

Hope everyone's having a great day, and thanks for all the continued support.

x
brilliant news sarah,well done Arnie :huggles: :huggles:

im so excited for you (w00t)

Great news , maybe you should just elevate his bowl on something you have around the house at first to see if he likes it ?

Oh Hula, I didnt think of that! I'm not thinking straight at the moment....good idea.

Is it okay to be a bit scared of him coming home? I'm sooo excited but also nervous that he's going to hurt himself.....I've washed all of his bedding and blankets (and put a baby sheet in his bed - baby won't mind! :)

Going to be like a cat on a hot tin roof tomorrow waiting to hear!!!!

Fab news!

Just the thing to cheer us all up after the first day back at work!!!

x

trust me sarah he will be fine i know what you mean though i was desperate for max to come home but at the same time didnt know if he would cope but animals being animals he was fine im so pleased he might be home tomorrow sending you both a big hug xx :huggles:

4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif
4_1_112.gif

Great News Sarah - he's a tough boy :D :D :D :D :D

Oh Sarah thats brilliant news, just what we all wanted to hear, dont be scared he will be fine in a few days, he will soon learn new cornering skills and dogs dont worry if they fall over they just get up and learn little by little. Hugs to the wonderful Arnie Jan

I was back at work today and finally I'm home and here I am for my Arnie fix :lol:

Fantastic news that the vet is so pleased with him!!! :thumbsup:

It sounds as though Arnie is going to learn really quickly too, amazing how well they

adapt. Not like us humans, we can be real wimps (well I know I can :lol: )

OMG I'm really looking forward to Arnie coming home to you .......... it's going to

be a great day :thumbsup:

hooray_big.jpg

Brilliant news!! I knew he was a tough lad, and would do well. I do hope he can come home tomorrow - I'm back at work, but will look in for news. Good idea of Hula's - we used to have a raised bowl for our old girl, and we used an old tub of tile adhesive upside down!! She had it for years (w00t)

Fingers crossed for you now that you will have the best news tomorrow :thumbsup:

just00216-1.gif

I think the main thing to remember when he comes home is not to try to wrap him up in cotton wool . It will be very upsetting for you to see him at first but it won't be upsetting for him . So try to remain cheerful and happy for him he will pick up on your feelings and if you are miserable he won't know why . ;)

that's great news,so pleased he is doing well :D well done arnie :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back