The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Drinking water

Nanny71

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondering what peoples views are on drinking water for dogs. I have a friend who says they should only have rain water because it has no additives, Another only uses bottled water. Yet a third uses filtered water.
Most just use ordinary tap water.
Having a Bichon x who was prone to the brown/red tearstains I was advised by a groomer to add a little cider vinegar to his water.
He has had no tearstains since he was six months old. This could, of course, be simply due to him being a bit older.
Yet another thing about water, is what do you give it in. Plastic, china or metal. Does it make a difference? Because of the cider vinegar I use ceramic. When we are out I use tap water which I carry in a plastic bottle and give him in a plastic bowl.
Just want to start a discussion on this water problem
Of course dogs drink out of disgusting muddy puddles with no problems.

mine all drink tap water, or if they find puddles in the garden, that's their favourite water source!

Tap water out of a stainless steel bowl (as they're easy to keep clean and disinfected)

If the tap water's good enough for me, it's good enough for Jasper:) I have one ceramic bowl, and one Becobowl which is 80% bamboo fibres and rice husks. Though I'm not sure how hygenic the latter is as the bottom has split a little in one place. Still, it's got to be more hygenic than those puddles.

Tap water in a stainless steel bowl, but this is ignored for the more favourable watering can or puddles on the the garden furniture.

The garden pond is his favourite source but officially plastic bowl and tap water
This can have harmful bacteria in... but obviously if he's fine with it then i can't do much and neither can you

It's interesting - I read a report a few years ago that suggested only changing the water a couple of times a week because the bacteria left behind in water after the dog drinks can be helpful to their health. No way is that happening in the F household! :eek: Interestingly, I couldn't find it tonight when I looked. So we change 3 times a day, in stainless steel bowls that last forever, and wash the bowls with a teeny drop of detergent and boiling water. But when we first took T to France I gave him Evian - Mr F said I was nuts but the fear of having a dog with a dodgy tummy in a motorhome far outweighed the cost of the water; and if I ever have to buy water, Evian is my choice so it was what we had handy. Now he gets French tap water like the rest of us.

What is the best water?

Tap Water?

Unfiltered tap water is inexpensive and portable but can be filled with contaminants. The contaminants can lead to a variety of health issues. Tap water can also include chemicals, pesticides, metals and bacteria. I don’t recommend tap water.

Bottled Water?

Most bottled waters contain chemicals, man-made compounds that interfere with hormone signaling. Also most plastic bottles contain BPA, this is really bad for your dog as you don’t really know what your dog is drinking. I don’t recommend bottled water.

Distilled Water?

Distilled water is made by boiling regular water to a certain point where the contaminants are destroyed. The steam made is then condensates back into a liquid and bottled. The problem with this is the minerals in the water are destroyed, which are essential for health. Some studies in animals show that the animals drinking distilled water results in a lot of adverse health effects, including a negative balance of sodium and chloride in the blood witch is really bad for their health. This is supposedly less thirst quenching, so the dog drinks more and has excessive urination. I would not recommend this type of water in the long run but for short periods this should be okay.

Filtered Water?

Filtered water is tap water that has been run through a filter to remove impurities. You can buy some filters and some can attach on to the tap head. I recommend this because it’s much healthier for your dog and your family.

Water and Your Dog?

Dogs and humans require water all the time to help normal bodily functions such as:

Water helps regulate the body temperature.

Helps make the skin elastic.

Keeps the eyes, nose, lungs and mouth moist.

Helps with digestion.

What Bowls?

Ceramic or Stainless steel are the best choices for dog bowls because they are less likely to scratch and they are really easy to wash. Plastic bowls can absorb smells, is easily scratched causing bacteria growth (this can make your dog ill/have an upset tummy), and can be chewed and picked up easily.

Some water sources dogs shouldn’t drink:

• Snow

• Stagnant ponds

• Salt water

• Dirty tap water

• Treated water

• Puddles – this can include lots of parasites that can really harm your dog, even if it looks clean.

Pets4Homes
@JoanneF please never give Timber bottled water because its really bad for dogs.

Last edited:
What is the best water?

Tap Water?

Unfiltered tap water is inexpensive and portable but can be filled with contaminants. The contaminants can lead to a variety of health issues. Tap water can also include chemicals, pesticides, metals and bacteria. I don’t recommend tap water.

Bottled Water?

Most bottled waters contain chemicals, man-made compounds that interfere with hormone signaling. Also most plastic bottles contain BPA, this is really bad for your dog as you don’t really know what your dog is drinking. I don’t recommend bottled water.

Distilled Water?

Distilled water is made by boiling regular water to a certain point where the contaminants are destroyed. The steam made is then condensates back into a liquid and bottled. The problem with this is the minerals in the water are destroyed, which are essential for health. Some studies in animals show that the animals drinking distilled water results in a lot of adverse health effects, including a negative balance of sodium and chloride in the blood witch is really bad for their health. This is supposedly less thirst quenching, so the dog drinks more and has excessive urination. I would not recommend this type of water in the long run but for short periods this should be okay.

Filtered Water?

Filtered water is tap water that has been run through a filter to remove impurities. You can buy some filters and some can attach on to the tap head. I recommend this because it’s much healthier for your dog and your family.

Water and Your Dog?

Dogs and humans require water all the time to help normal bodily functions such as:

Water helps regulate the body temperature.

Helps make the skin elastic.

Keeps the eyes, nose, lungs and mouth moist.

Helps with digestion.

What Bowls?

Ceramic or Stainless steel are the best choices for dog bowls because they are less likely to scratch and they are really easy to wash. Plastic bowls can absorb smells, is easily scratched causing bacteria growth (this can make your dog ill/have an upset tummy), and can be chewed and picked up easily.

• Snow

• Stagnant ponds

• Salt water

• Tap water

• Treated water

• Puddles – this can include lots of parasites that can really harm your dog, even if it looks clean.

Pets4Homes
@JoanneF please never give Timber bottled water because its really bad for dogs.
Thank you for this. Now I know I am not doing him any harm giving him tap water. Will change his plastic travel bottle for a glass lined metal one.

This time I do know what I’m talking about - Dogs and Water?

Bisphenol A is found in the hard plastic bottles many people use every day. It can imitate the body's hormones, and it can interfere with the production, secretion, transport, action, function, and elimination of natural hormones.

• Snow

• Stagnant ponds

• Salt water

• Tap water

• Treated water

Pets4Homes

Pets4Homes state quite clearly that fresh tap water is fine for dogs. You might want to edit your post accordingly.

I was just about to say the same as @JoanneF

Also you say they shouldn’t drink tap water but I do and Dens been drinking it for 10 years and he’s all good :)
I believe its because of the added chemicals and parasites included in water that our body can handle.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back