The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Euthanasia

Jill

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I can't stop crying. I have just made a phonecall to arrange an appointment for a house call to euthanise my 14.5 year old whippet. She has been the dog love of my life and I don't want to do this to her but I feel it's time. She is unable to walk anymore.

When she was 9 years old she nearly died because she ruptured a disc high up in her spine which completely paralysed her and also severely compromised her respiratory system. After a major operation, hydrotherapy and acupuncture she made a miraculous recovery and within a year was back to chasing squirrels, running about and generally doing normal whippety things, only with a subtle change in gait. When she was 12 she ruptured another disc in her spine, though it was a bit lower so only her front legs were paralysed this time. Once again after another major operation she recovered but she was always quite wobbley afterwards.

Now I believe she has once again ruptured a disc, one that is probably high up in her spine. Both her front and hind legs are limp and useless. Only this time I feel she is too old for another major operation whose outcome may not even be beneficial and may end up just prolong her suffering. The vet cannot confirm this without doing a MRI (nor has he suggested doing one) and has put her on prednisone which is doing absolutely nothing but making her very thirsty.

I am not even sure why I am posted this, I guess I just don't know how to tell whether or not I am making the right decision and was hoping for some words of wisdom.

-jill

Oh, Jill--I am so sorry that you have to make this decision. I admire the fact that, much as you might want to hold on to her, you are not putting her through more tests, more vet visits, more surgery, and more pain, but instead helping her to pass on, pain-free, in her own home, with you to hold her. You have obviously given her a wonderful life--helping her to go back to her lovely "whippety things" twice (!!) and continue to think of what is best for her. You and your lovely girl will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

--Paula D.

I think that you have to trust your heart in these matters. I can't give any advice other that that from my experience giving your lovely girl a gentle passing is a great final gift you can give her :huggles: So very hard to let them go I know, but how lucky we are to have them in our lives :huggles: Thoughts are with you
pegasus9.gif

I can't give any advice but want you to know that you are not alone, we are all here for you and all our thoughts are with you today.

Jenny

You know in your heart what is best for your girl and what she can cope with,

Sounds like you have made that last decision for her sake.

Thinking of you today

My thoughts are with you Jill at this really difficult and heartbreaking time :( :huggles:

You know her better than anybody Jill and will know if she is unhappy with her quality of life, if you decide it's time to let her go, it is a decision made out of pure love so it will be the right one :huggles:

I think this says it all .............

If it should be

If it be I grow frail and weak,

And pain should wake me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

Don’t let your grief then stay your hand,

For this day more than all the rest,

Your love and friendship stand the test.

We’ve had so many happy years,

What is to come will hold no fears,

You’ll not want me to suffer, so,

When the time comes, please let me go.

I know in time you too will see,

It is a kindness you do for me,

Although my tail it’s last has waved,

From pain and suffering I’ve been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do,

We’ve been so close, we two, these years,

Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

Thinking of you today :( :huggles:

Ive tears running down my face as I think of you and the decision you have made, Unfortunatly its a decision we all have to make at some time or other .

My Mayzee is nearly 16 and I know that one day in the not too distant future I too will be grieving . So my thoughts and tears are for you and everyone who has to make the right decision for their well loved pets . You have given her a super life and know what is best for her .

Feeling your pain and sorrow

Jackie

:( So sorry to read this news Its never easy I have had to do this but you know whatever you do will be right for her.

Thinking of you at this sad time :huggles:

Hi, only you know what is best for your dog my friend, and im sure you will choose wisely, you say you dont know why you are posting on k9, this is the place to post for comfort, its a dog forum with caring folks

:luck:

keith x

My thoughts are with at this sad time...... i thought i was going to make that decision with my Peg when her hind legs were paralysed and also had to have an mri scan...luckley she didnt need an operation but all i wanted was her to have a quality of life which she is now, but never be normal....so this must be such a hard decision to make but youve given her the best of life

i'll be thinking of you and sharing the tears with you

sometimes the pets we adore and love look up to us for help in this way

sending lots of :huggles: your way

Millie said:
I think this says it all .............If it should be

If it be I grow frail and weak,

And pain should wake me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad, I understand,

Don’t let your grief then stay your hand,

For this day more than all the rest,

Your love and friendship stand the test.

We’ve had so many happy years,

What is to come will hold no fears,

You’ll not want me to suffer, so,

When the time comes, please let me go.

I know in time you too will see,

It is a kindness you do for me,

Although my tail it’s last has waved,

From pain and suffering I’ve been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do,

We’ve been so close, we two, these years,

Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

Thinking of you today  :(   :huggles:

This is really true but don't be afraid of tears. I think you're doing the right thing but it will hurt very hard. I've had to do it and it's the most difficult and guilt-ridden decision to make, but it's also the most kind we can be as humans. She'll always be with you in your heart.

Thinking of you both today. :( :huggles:

I'm so sorry that you are having to make this decision. Your little girl sounds very brave and tough but at some time there was going to be one battle too many. It is heart breaking to have to do it but you are doing it because it is the best thing to do for her. She has had a lovely life with you, always loved and cared for and able to do what whippies love best.

RIP little lady. Take care of yourself Jill. :huggles:

I'm with you Jax, 15 year old girlie who is getting frail and weak. I know the decision won't be too far away :(

Jill, I do feel for you, and I have to tell you that most people I know worry that they are making the wrong decision - but you know the life she's been used to, and a whippet needs to be able to do what whippets do, even when they're old. I am with you on your decision, and when my girlie gets to the stage where she can't get out of bed, or she is in pain, I will let her go :( We can't do it for humans yet, but we can do it for our canine friends, and it is a true gift when it comes at the right time.

She will just go off to sleep, but then be in a place where she can run free again - you have done more for her than most owners would - you have given her a long and happy life - be strong, and face this final hurdle - then she will be pain free again :huggles:

I will be thinking of you today - lots of love to you xx

My thoughts are with you :huggles: a hard descion to make but a right one in the long run, the last kind thing you can do for her, I really feel for you :huggles:

Thinking of you :huggles:

I'm so very sorry, I had to make this decision a few weeks ago when Mollie, our old terrier had a bladder tumour. Try to think of it as not something you are doing TO her but as something you are doing FOR her. Don't be afraid to grieve and to cry but hold onto the thoughts that she was loved and wanted all of her life, thats all anybody wants from life.

My thoughts are with you today. :(

so sorry you have to make this hard decision :( ,its the hardest thing of all :(

thinking of you today and where all here for you :huggles:

:huggles: oh Jill you have made me cry, and im reading this at work. You have repaid the love and devotion that this girly has given . The gift that you can give to both of you is that you will let her go peacefully at home with you, wher she belongs. You must be brave . all k9 nrs will be thinking of you today.

take care jill and god bless both of you, Alison x :wub: :huggles: :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back