The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Found Dog Think May Be Pregnant Help Please

huggybear2000

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi hope i'm using the right area to put this question

ok heres what has happened

i was on my way home from picking son up from school when we saw a dog walking down the middle of the road so we pulled over and coaxed it back to the grass verge so it was safe but when i went to get back in the car it went to go back to the road again narrowly avoiding a bus and two other cars, it clearly had no orientation where it was or the dangers of the road

so anyway i noticed it had no collar and no one was around shouting for it so i thought i had better take it home and put a sign in the local shop window i have also informed police and my vet

anyway after getting her settled and gave her i drink we noticed she is huge around the abdomen now she seems to me to be a yorkshire terrier like my mums dog but we are concerned she may be heavily pregnant, is there any sure way of telling as our vets is closed now and would only see her if it was an emergency.

i am concerned if she is then why was she wandering the streets and if not then what kind of owners lets their dog get so overweight.

she will not eat and only sips water, she has had a few wee's but no bowel movement she has also been panting since we picked her up about 6 hours ago now, my mum and neighbour both have had experiences of yorkies and breeding but neither can tell if she is or not

bytheway she is laid on my sette wagging her tail enjoying a fuss as if she has always lived here could this mean she is just overly friendly or just she likes our house ? etc

and views or advice is very grately received

many thanks in advanced

michelle :(

gosh its so hard to tell with this one!she could be panting cos shes in labour.has she any milk in her teats.can you feel any pups moving?maybe shes wagging her tail cos she feels safe where she is and is grateful to you for rescuing her.poor little thing.what was she doing out on her own on a busy road? :(

were having problems telling if it is pups or her heartbeat as she is panting so much, she is solid underneath so we cant even see a shape like a pup bulging etc

so if she is then there is lots in there i mean i wouldnt even know what she has bred with they could be from a bigger breed i feel so sorry for her, i am so confused as to whether i should even let her go back to her home if they come forward as if she is pregnant she should not have been out and if she isnt what kind of person lets a dog get to this size? i know i must do the right thing and let her go back if that situation arrises but in all honestly i hope it doesnt poo thing it makes me feel like crying its so sad

she is now falling asleep on my hubbys nee he says shes that heavy shes making his legs ache

vet PRONTO!!! as she has obviously had a rough few hours, she could well be in labour, possibly premature. after possible abandonment, you shouldnt risk it.

let us know what happens. :luck: :luck: :luck: and lots of kisses for the poor baby :huggles:

Would she let you take her temperture ?

A pregnant bitches temperture is always 100.5 (38C)or under........ compared to the normal 101.5(38.3)

Phone the vet for advice! they always have a contact number, no charge for advice over the phone!

thanks so far guys i will keep you up to date as much as i can

i have phoned my vets as i have other pets it was the first thing i did, they said they wouldnt see her unless it was an emergency and they are shut now anyway so i was going to take her to the local pdsa for a look over in the morning

do you think she might be pregnant then?

sounds stupid but does taking temperature mean a thermometer up the bum thingy sorry to be crude in my description but as i said i'm not breeder just a everyday pet owner who is trying to help a lost/abandoned dog

i have informed police they have a description of her and my phone number etc so if owners come forward i can pass her back although quite honestly i feel like reporting them for letting her out in this state, but i know before you all shout at me it could be something else like hormones or someting else wrong so dont worry i know it may not be the owners fault too i am keeping an open mind and were keeping our fingers crossed all works out for the best for her

anything else i could do to give you guys help on her condition weight etc size shape

sounds stupid but does taking temperature mean a thermometer up the bum thingy sorry to be crude in my description but as i said i'm not breeder just a everyday pet owner who is trying to help a lost/abandoned dog

Yes thats the best way of taking a dogs temp, but if you are not sure about doing it I would leave it to the vet.

Hoping everything turns out ok for her. :luck:

oh her nose is warm wet too if that helps, i cant find a thermometer at the mo is there anything else to look for? or should be doing incase she is in labour?

if shes in labour and is pushing it would be pretty obvious by now i think,they usually keep looking at their rear end and will keep licking their privates.if shes an old dog the panting could be distress or a heart condition or anything.its very hard to tell without seeing her.if you lay your hand flat on her tummy and she is pregnant you might be able to feel pups moving about,you cant mistake it for heartbeat its quite different.id just get her settled down for the night and take her to the vets tomorrow first thing.if she seems ok in herself then just let her settle and let her have a rest and a good nights sleep.dunno how long the poor things been wandering around.good luck with her and let us know how you go on with her.dont fret too much,youve done your best and have at least got her off a dangerous road and into the safety of your home.bitches usually release milk into their nipples 24 hours before they produce pups.so if you very gently squeeze her nipples and milk comes out then congratulations youre about to become a mum! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
if she is, you'll need clean towels, sterilised scissors, a quiet room or area away from noise, bright lights etc. make sure she has plenty of water available as my girl refused food in labour. hot water bottle with cover (if you need to keep pups warm should mum need to go vet) cardboard box, paper towels. if possible, get her outside to pee, keeping an eye on her incase she has one in the garden. please be calm, so as not to panic her. if she starts REALLY straining its labour proper. if no pups after 2hrs, she may have a large pup blocking the rest

she is doing no sniffing or bearing down at all there is no discharge from her behind lets just hope she will be ok through the night i will keep you informed thanks so much so far guys

oh, yeah, if theres a green discharge BEFORE any pups, vet no question. this discharge is normal after one has been born, its the colour of the after birth. if its before, it means a placenta has detached too soon, and pups will die.

Could you put a pic of her on here.

I'm sure lots of the experienced breeders could give you more good advice

if they could see her shape and size.

Sounds like she's making herself at home with you.

She sounds a sweet girl. Hope she's ok

Ok, she could be panting thru sheer stress BUT with you saying she is so swollen around the belly without seeing her my bet is she could well be in labour & could have been for some time.

If she is showing no other signs i.e pushing or contracting she could be suffering from INERTIA, which means she is in labour but just does not have the ability left in her to push.

I dont want to scare you BUT this bitch does need to see a vet IMMEDIATELY. If she has inertia not only will the puppies die but she could lose her life as well.

If she is in labour its doubtful you will feel the pups moving now as they will be in the birth canal ready for their downward journey.

I feel for you because if you are inexperienced at this you will not know what to do for the best. An experienced breeder would be able to tell straight away.

My advice for what is worth is get her checked by a vet TONIGHT, NOW, STRAIGHT AWAY to be safe.

Emergency call outs start from approx £50 - £100. If need be you can start a post on here & we could all make a donation to help you towards the cost, i for one am happy to send a donation your way to help with vet fees & i'm sure others would be too.

Its hard without being able to examine the poor little mite & take her temperature but the swollen belly, panting, refusing food sounds ominous to me. Please get her checked out if you are still concerned, because by the morning it may be too late.

Nina

she has been out for a wee only a small one she is now back on hubbys knee, she is asleep, he says he cant really feel any movement underneath her, could it be she is just extreemly overweight or do pups settle down in the womb as the mother settles at night or are they alwways active? would her weight be a guide or is it too varied in the breed she is a large yorkie i think

if it is inertia, the vet can give a hormone injectin, oxytocin i think is how you spell it. as she sounds quite calm and settled, if it is labour, its only stage one. which would explain her dozing, as bitches conserve their energy this way. do you have any glucose in the house? a small amount in her water would give her an energy boost when the time comes. shame you have no history for her, because the whole whelping process is longer for a first time mother than a 'pro'

if you find her owners, tell me where to go with a baseball bat :rant:

i dont suppose there is a breeder of any breed in the northants area who could have a look is there i know this is cheeck but i cant get ahold of my vet

Sorry I haven't any advice but well done for getting her out of harms way, good luck whatever happens :luck: :luck:

huggybear2000 said:
she has been out for a wee only a small one she is now back on hubbys knee, she is asleep, he says he cant really feel any movement underneath her, could it be she is just extreemly overweight or do pups settle down in the womb as the mother settles at night or are they alwways active? would her weight be a guide or is it too varied in the breed she is a large yorkie i think
they do have quiet times. how promenant are her nipples? ambers got quite erect in late pregnancy. her fur also disappeared around them to make it easier for pups to locate them

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back