The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Free Running V Road Walking

AnnSa

The one and Only ....
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What are the pro and cons of Free Running and Road Walking ?

Do you do both or stick to one. Does one benefit the dog more

than the other ?

I do both, road walking for nails and feet, free running for muscle and happiness :) ... although Blue just loves being out and about and cares not where!

I do both, road walking for nails and feet, free running for muscle and happiness :) ... although Blue just loves being out and about and cares not where!
Same here :thumbsup:

Me too. Road walking also helps with the obedience. :thumbsup: My two automatically stop at kerbs and sit so it has only taken a little effort to get Gracie to stop and wait because she just copies the other two. :)) However, wait she may do but plonk her cute little bottom on the wet, cold, hard ground, not on your nelly :wacko: ...............unless that is, there is a piece of tasty sausage or cheese lurking in a pocket and then she'll do somersaults if asked!!! :D

dont know about the dogs, but i prefer to see them running :)

although as its getting wetter and muddier we will be doing far more road walks as you dont have to bath them when you get home :b

hopefully santa is bringing me a bike for xmas so that will bring a whole new eliment to the walks (w00t)

Mine free run in the mornings . And afternoons i get on my bike they love to run along side the bike on there leads . also it keeps them fit for racing . Pam.

Definitely free running. I find road walking really quite boring. I have met lots of lovely people on the fields around our area, & it's always lovely catching up with them whist our dogs enjoy running around with their playmates. I absolutely love seeing Louie running 'full pelt', as do other dog owners who stand there admiring his effortless speed :D

Ours do very little road work, probably 90% is free running. Ours are all showies and I am more than happy with the condition and muscle tone that they have as a result of their exercise regime. :)

I'd say it depends what you want from your dogs. Mine do 2-4 miles road work most days and free run (mooch)/hard run (after balls and such) most days as well ... but they are agility and lure coursing dogs who need the muscle mass, strength and stamina that will allow them to compete all day. Personally I think dogs need both free running and road walking, but if they are not sporting dogs then the road work is probably the less important in my opinion.

I do some of both too....the lads love free running....but I usually road walk on a night time in the dark nights

and a bit of road walking to the fields....and back again..... Road walking is really good for the muscle structure, and

keeping nails trim too.

i can only go om my experience with lurchers and greyhounds, never owned a ped whippet

it also depends on what you want to achieve

as my dogs were racing,working and coursing dogs they wouldn't of benefitted from just road or free running alone

meaning either one or the other so i did both, the only thing with road walking i found with my types of dogs you have to walk at a steady faster walking pace, so i found bike work far more benefical as you can adjust the pace depending on the dog, not all dogs will run beside a bike on the lead, one of my bitches hated it but she was more than happy to trot along side off the lead, and then gradually up the length,and time while out, for example when coursing we would be out all day and covering quite a lot of land so the dogs had to be able to handle that amount of running, so generally bike work was for about 3 to 4 hrs, road walking a couple of times a week and free running every day,

hope this has helped

Apart from running and walking, another thing which keeps mine fit is the continual playfighting with each other - excellent exercise!! :thumbsup:

I road walk my girls very seldom since I live in the sticks and there are lots of free running opportunities. However now the fields very close to my house in which I used to let them run free has sheep in them! :eek:

So I might start incorporating one road walk a week into their regime. It will be good for lead practice and for once they won't need washing when they come home. Plus I hear a bit of power walking is good for toning ones bum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus I hear a bit of power walking is good for toning ones bum!
That's what I'm hoping! :- I've got a few pounds to shift and have worked out a few routes around town here which have hilly bits so I was thinking of doing a different route (I have 4 different ones worked out) - hopefully these will help me get slimmer and fitter too :)

Tina absolutely LOVED to gallop on the beach every day and would run round and round Neil and I in a huge circle which was absolute heaven to watch :wub: Even other folks out walking would stop to watch her :D There's just something amazing about watching a sighthound in full flight that other breeds just don't have :D

I'm a big believer in road walking dogs, however you need to roadwalk them at a brisk pace for it to benefit them. Look at the dog you want it trotting. I walk Vixen upto 5 miles a day with a good 1/2 hours free running as well. I don't walk her on the days that i work her.

Roadwork strengthens the dogs tendons and ligaments and also keeps there feet nice and firm IMO. It also tones a dog up and increases muscle tone. Using a bike is also good although you only want the dog trotting as i mentioned earlier.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back