The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hair Thinning On Female Whippet

Janetta

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I have a female whippet who has very thinning hair or none at all on her neck, where her collar would be.

She only wears her collar when out, he have tried several different collars on her but none have made any difference.

Does anyone out there have the same problem?

Or can someone advice me on what to do?

Does anyone know of any cream, tablets ect that would help her coat to grow.

:( :( Jenny

Ive heard that Evening Primrose Oil can help the coat (and Kelp tablets)- but sorry no experience of this happening. You can buy products like this from Dorwest Herbs.

http://www.dorwest.com/herbal_medicines.htm

Hope you can get it sorted. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
both my girls have thinning under the chin,and bellies more noticeably on my black.

we give them powdered seaweed but have not noticed any difference,it seems to be worst in the winter.

i dont worry about it as come the summer the fur thickens again.

Does she pull when on the lead? As I have found that when they pull they do seem to suffer from bald patches on the neck.

Whippets often are very thin on hair in the belly area and also back of legs etc.

The three natural products which are widely used to stimulate hair growth are Kelp Seaweed tablets, Evening Primrose Oil or Whetgerm Oil. Kelp seaweed really encourages hair growth and pigmentation due to the naturally high content of numerous minerals which becuase they are naturally occurring are much more easily utilised by the body than a synthetic multi-vitamin/mineral tablet or powder.

Wheatgerm Oil is used as it is very rich naturally in Vitamin E which well know for its benefits for hair and skin. Evening Primrose Oil is rich is GLA which as well as increasing growth makes the coat very silky and shiny - however choose one which has added Vit E.

So the choice is yours!! I would use Kelp seaweed and wheatgerm oil personally :D i only use Evening primrose when I want the boys to be super shiny and in tip-top condition for showing :D

~JO~ said:
Does she pull when on the lead?  As I have found that when they pull they do seem to suffer from bald patches on the neck.
Whippets often are very thin on hair in the belly area and also back of legs etc.

The three natural products which are widely used to stimulate hair growth are Kelp Seaweed tablets, Evening Primrose Oil or Whetgerm Oil.  Kelp seaweed really encourages hair growth and pigmentation due to the naturally high content of numerous minerals which becuase they are naturally occurring are much more easily utilised by the body than a synthetic multi-vitamin/mineral tablet or powder.

Wheatgerm Oil is used as it is very rich naturally in Vitamin E which well know for its benefits for hair and skin.  Evening Primrose Oil is rich is GLA which as well as increasing growth makes the coat very silky and shiny - however choose one which has added Vit E.

So the choice is yours!!  I would use Kelp seaweed and wheatgerm oil personally  :D   i only use Evening primrose when I want the boys to be super shiny and in tip-top condition for showing  :D

Hi Jo,

Could I use both the Kelp seaweed and wheatgerm, or would you just recommend one, I am thinking of trying these myself because like my whippet I am also thinning just on top.

Jenny

Jenny said:
~JO~ said:
Does she pull when on the lead?  As I have found that when they pull they do seem to suffer from bald patches on the neck.

The three natural products which are widely used to stimulate hair growth are Kelp Seaweed tablets, Evening Primrose Oil or Whetgerm Oil.   Kelp seaweed really encourages hair growth and pigmentation due to the naturally high content of numerous minerals which becuase they are naturally occurring are much more easily utilised by the body than a synthetic multi-vitamin/mineral tablet or powder.

Wheatgerm Oil is used as it is very rich naturally in Vitamin E which well know for its benefits for hair and skin.  Evening Primrose Oil is rich is GLA which as well as increasing growth makes the coat very silky and shiny - however choose one which has added Vit E.

So the choice is yours!!  I would use Kelp seaweed and wheatgerm oil personally  :D    i only use Evening primrose when I want the boys to be super shiny and in tip-top condition for showing  :D

Hi Jo,

Could I use both the Kelp seaweed and wheatgerm, or would you just recommend one, I am thinking of trying these myself because like my whippet I am also thinning just on top.

Jenny

You can use both as they work in different ways! They would be safe for people too :D I take wheatgerm oil capsules to try and improve my nails :lol: :- "

Jenny said:
Hi,
I have a female whippet who has very thinning hair or none at all on her neck, where her collar would be.

She only wears her collar when out, he have tried several different collars on her but none have made any difference.

Does anyone out there have the same problem?

Or can someone advice me on what to do?

Does anyone know of any cream, tablets ect that would help her coat to grow.

:(   :(   Jenny

Didnt have my bitch long if i can remember rightly, she developed bald patches all over the place, had her to the vets, couldnt find nowt wrong with her gave me shampoo, knowing my dog now, i swear to god it was stress, new environment and what av you, not saying your dog is stressed and good luck with her

keith

i have not had it with my whippets but have with my greyhounds. cally lost a lot of fur under her neck when she firts came I changed her coller to one with brass fitting and it semad to do the trick but I do think stress plays a part plus change of diet 4 of my greyhounds lost fur on there thighs and belly. I also think iot was a mixs of stress and change of diet with them and over 2 months they all settles and all have lovly shiny coats now.

I know our milo is the worst and if he gets scared or stressed you wake up the next bay and th fur from his thighs is thing and al;l over his bed. it ususaly take 3 months to get it all back again

Yep my Molly has no fur on her belly or bum and is thinning on her neck, tried all sorts of changes in diet and stuff and nothing changed it. The rest of her fur is very shiny and as far as I know she isn't stressed - well she hasn't got any other syptoms of stress. Her brother (not owned by me) is also a baldy whippet. I think some dogs are just more prone to baldness than others - like men :p

Here's a link to the thread when I posted about this before, lots of good advice on here coat condition

She also gets a bit thicker fur in the summer - bit daft really because its warmer then :lol: I used to worry about her getting cold but most of the time she gets in a right sulk when I put her coat on (w00t)

Dolly has a bald patch on her neck where her collar would go and she has a bald belly!! I just noticed it one day. I have tried everything to get the hair back but nothing has helped. She is not stressed at all and I can't think of anything it could be. She's not bothered by it so i have left trying to get the hair back. Mojo my other whippet has all his hair!!

Has any of the whippets mentioned here today got dandruff or are they scurvy in any way??

Dippy has a baldy patch on her side and is loosing fur on her back legs and is very dandruffy/scurvy.

The baldy patch is red and inflamed and is gradually getting bigger.

She is already on wheatgerm oli, keepers mix and I've tried evening primrose oil and none of it has done a thing for it.

She having some tests done at the vets on Thurdays cos its getting worse.

hellybobs said:
Has any of the whippets mentioned here today got dandruff or are they scurvy in any way??
Dippy has a baldy patch on her side and is loosing fur on her back legs and is very dandruffy/scurvy.

She is already on wheatgerm oli, keepers mix and I've tried evening primrose oil and none of it has done a thing for it.

Hi Helen,

No Molly hasn't got any dandruff, she used to have but a change of diet corrected that. Her bald patches are not red or inflamed and they don't irritate her at all so I think you're doing best by taking Dippy to the vets :thumbsup:

Most probably some sort of excema or something, hope she is ok :luck:

Lucy

Thanks Lucy. :thumbsup:

The strange thing is her coat although is how I've described already is shiney and glossy too...which is really strange. :blink:

hellybobs said:

Poor Dippy :( If it is red and inflamed as you said, you have done the best thing getting it checked out at the vets just in case it is a nasty.

If the results are inconclusive, it is probably what is commonly known as a 'non-specific skin condition'. What food do you feed as this may be worth exploring.

Pm me for some more advice as I would start using Mixed vegetable tablets and also Garlic & Fenugreek tablets - both for skin conditions and the mixed vegetable tablet is very cooling... also feed a very plain diet... anyway if you want some more advice let me know :D As Keepers Mix and the others are not used specifically to treat this type of condition. Usually just to improve skin and coat (quality and growth)

~JO~ said:
Jenny said:
~JO~ said:

The three natural products which are widely used to stimulate hair growth are Kelp Seaweed tablets, Evening Primrose Oil or Whetgerm Oil.   Kelp seaweed really encourages hair growth and pigmentation due to the naturally high content of numerous minerals which becuase they are naturally occurring are much more easily utilised by the body than a synthetic multi-vitamin/mineral tablet or powder.

So the choice is yours!!  I would use Kelp seaweed and wheatgerm oil personally  :D    i only use Evening primrose when I want the boys to be super shiny and in tip-top condition for showing  :D

Hi Jo,

Jenny

You can use both as they work in different ways! They would be safe for people too :D I take wheatgerm oil capsules to try and improve my nails :lol: :- "

Sorry Jo, me again.

I have just gone and bought some Kelp seaweed, how many tablets do you recommend. They didn't have any Wheatgerm oil capsules so I got some natural wheatgerm bran will this be okay until I can get the capsules.

Ta

Jenny

Hi

Daisy has bald patches on her throat, belly and very thin fur on her temples and thighs. I pestered our vet every time we had to visit him last year, he just put it down to normal whippety baldiness and not to fret about it. It all grew back and all summer no bald patches, as soon as the temperature dropped again so did her fur.

The fur she does have is silky and glossy and beautiful

I have another whippet with no baldiness at all, they both have the same collar and diet so I don't think thats the issue with my two.

Daisy is a blue, do darker whippets seem to suffer this more than the pale ones?

Dippy is black but I don't know if this makes any difference??

I've pm'd you Jo.

hellybobs said:

Yes had the dandruff, brush her daily, normally then backwards :lol: watch the bloody dandruff come out then, cod liver oil capsules every other day, central heating does there coats no good either, get em outside.

midlanderkeith said:
hellybobs said:

Yes had the dandruff, brush her daily, normally then backwards :lol: watch the bloody dandruff come out then, cod liver oil capsules every other day, central heating does there coats no good either, get em outside.

Red and inflamed, i would have her to the vets, get skin scrapings done

keith

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back