The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Big Is Your Whippet?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Seraphina said:
petrezselyem said:
Size can show growing trend without any precedents. It's simply genetics. Extraneous matings, and the size grows. Like humans. We are much more taller than our ancestors were, because our genes are heterogener, than our ancestor's genes were. This is a science based rule.  Please, read my last reply.I'm very interested in Your opinion.

If humans did indeed increase in size substantialy (it is a theory only, I have read something to the contrary recently) then it happened over thousands of years and the difference is not huge. There is some slight increase in avarage recent size recorded, but there is also some evidence that tall man is less likely to remain unmarried, so so it is also in fact "sellective breeding" that can make the difference in the size of next generations.

Whippets have increased in size by several inches in relatively short time - past 20 years. Considering that most Whippets, at least here in Australia are pretty closely bred, so according to your theory they should not be getting bigger . But they are. I have outcrossed many times and my pups ended up the same size as their parents or even marginally smaller. My newest baby is a total outcross (the sire is an import with absolutely no connection to the dam's line) and she is going to be little.

Thanks, it is interesting!

This is not my theory, I have read it in some scientific books. But Your experiences show not the same. Thank You to tell me!

My opinion is, that size is not all, but as important as the other points of the standard.

Whippet is an english dog, and I think we have to follow the english rules.

Our magyar agár is a hungarian dog, so we are the standard-giving country. Here are lot of discussions about the breed, lot of quarrels. But we are making the standard of magyar agár, and others have to accept our rules.

I think that we have to admire the existing standard of whippet. Even the size.

For example: here in Hungary judges never deal with pale eyes. But look at the english standard! Our hungarian standard tells nothing about the colour of eyes, just it has to harmonize with colour of the dog.

Hm....

But here the size is important. Our Guszti is 53 cm tall. Here the standard size is 49-51 cm by males. 20 1/2 inches are 52 cm. And we always get that he is too big.

Hm....whippets from abroad are much more taller than our whippets, it is easy to see at shows. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you there, i also have a 22" whippet although he might be more but ive seen bigger than him in the ring. Yes they are still lovely, but if you dont agree with showing bigger whippets and you have one, do you not show it? or do you show it knowing that its 'show size'?

Whats wrong with overlooking whippets that are too big? Whippets that are small get totally overlooked all the time, only a handful of judges will give a smaller whippet a good looking over, all the rest glance and move on!!

I don't show any more, tryed it about 5 years ago for a couple of years.

I was a new comer to showing, all I heard from people was you won't win anything until you served your appreticeship (got your face known), or being told that I would have to get a dog from a well known breeder, and having my dog over looked.

I'm not saying that my bitch was a top dog, far from it, seeing other dogs in the ring i could see where my bitch was lacking for showing (size, she was 17 inch, and she was a little narrow thus didn't have enough front fill).

I began the get the impression that it was the people on the end of the leads that were getting judged rather than the dog.

The final straw was when I went to a champ show where i bumped into a "top breeder" whom i had spoken too before his/her words to me and i quote were

"Have come for some more practice?"

This person was the referee for the show and did and does have some very good whippets and I was thinking of buying a pup from them.

Before showing started i was told that a particular dog was going to win the show and that it had only come to be made up to champ. This dog did win the show and was made up, and the shows referee helped breed it !!!!

In my opinion too much back scratching goes off in the show ring and maybe thats why whippets are getting bigger, no one will judge fairly in fear of having their dog judged down at a latter show.

I now only walk and work my whippets.

Im going to give racing and lure coursing a go, at least at that game the best dog should win and not the owner

I wonder how similar things are in Your country as mine, hihi. :wacko: 8)

Think it's a problem worldvide.

"I began the get the impression that it was the people on the end of the leads that were getting judged rather than the dog."

Oh yes, sometimes. :- "

can anyone give me info on a whippet ive just got i know nothing about their bloodlines

Lolcoe said:
Whats wrong with overlooking whippets that are too big? Whippets that are small get totally overlooked all the time, only a handful of judges will give a smaller whippet a good looking over, all the rest glance and move on!!
Very interesting point Denise!

My feeling is, take a look along the line at any whippet specialty in Australia - the "small" ones are actually correct and amongst all the "big 'uns" look small.

I've taken 18 1/2 inch bitches to specialties and they look little.

We've got a number of correctly sized BIS/RIS (all breeds) winning whippets here in Central Qld and we often get praised here by southern judges for the correct size of our whippets. But take these dogs south and I guarantee they get dumped.

aslan said:
Lolcoe said:

Very interesting point Denise!

My feeling is, take a look along the line at any whippet specialty in Australia - the "small" ones are actually correct and amongst all the "big 'uns" look small.

I've taken 18 1/2 inch bitches to specialties and they look little.

We've got a number of correctly sized BIS/RIS (all breeds) winning whippets here in Central Qld and we often get praised here by southern judges for the correct size of our whippets. But take these dogs south and I guarantee they get dumped.

Stick to your gunns aslan :thumbsup:

In years to come dog people will look back and say its a shame that we've lost the traditional style of whippet, their all like small greyhounds now. :(

petrezselyem said:
[

Thanks, it is interesting!

This is not my theory, I have read it in some scientific books. ...

Yes, but they are both still only a theory :) The enourmous increase in size of our dogs is a fact. But of-course, over the past 100 years or so there have been large changes in all breeds; dachshunds legs have almost halved, Great danes have grown by some 6", Bulldogs noses have almost disapeared into their faces. And it all is done by sellective breeding.

I think that we have to admire the existing standard of whippet. Even the size.
I do agree totally, but the problem is we do not respect the English standard and allow the Whippet get bigger and bigger.

I got my first Whippet in 1990 and she was just over 18" when she matured, she did not look small in the ring. Now my 19" bitches look small.

I dispair when people blame it on nutrition, and therefore claim there is nothing that can be done.

Seraphina said:
I dispair when people blame it on nutrition, and therefore claim there is nothing that can be done.
So do I. I think we should keep in mind the original purpose of the breed, which I believe was for hunting rabbits and hare in rough terrain. I do not believe either of these beasts have seen an increase in size corresponding to the size increase in whippets. :oops:

I believe that if large populations of dogs are allowed to breed indiscriminately, after some generations, the majority of dogs will be within a certain size category. More likely than not, such mongrels will be slightly larger than ideal whippet size (of course depending on the original stock and environmental factors).

This leads me to think that it will always be necessary to breed selectively if one wants to maintain the smaller size asked for in the whippet standard. If bred for sound construction alone, whippets will tend to get bigger.

I am not saying you cannot breed soundly constructed whippets of correct size (there are plenty of examples of the opposite), only that it might take longer and more rigorous selection than breeding oversized, but well-constructed whippets.

Well, what do I know, I am not a breeder, but I do think it is easy to see this tendency in breeds bred for even smaller size than whippets, as well as in the giant breeds, so I do not see why it should not be the case in whippets.

Quite often exhibitors with smaller/bigger dogs imagine they have been overlooked because of the dogs size when in actual fact it may not be that at all.

The size of the dog is only a tiny part of the whole picture, a good judge will look at the complete package. So those of you with big, small, correct sized dogs check the following and ask yourself could I also be overlooked because I have;

poor movement

incorrect construction

too weak/strong bone for my size

incorrect head/ ears, round eyes

short neck, badly set on neck

narrow/wide front

incorrect topline

short loin

I could go on and on. It is very easy to have some excuse for not doing well it makes us feel better. I can also think of lots of people who have done VERY well with there first ever show dog so that apprentiship theory doesnt hang true either. some people have been breeding and showing for years and have never won anything but they enjoy thier hobby.

I personally would rather see a MASSIVE typy Whippet than a correct sized dog with bushy tail curled over its back (w00t)

Lastly no one is breeding big Whippets to sell to the US, just do some research where are those English dogs in the US?

Lastly lastly, I think bitches always look better in mixed classes so would never be surprised if a good biggy beat my dog. [SIZE=14pt]KEEP SMILIN[/SIZE]

Karen said:
ask yourself could I also be overlooked because I have;
poor movement

incorrect construction

I am afraid I would not do well judged against the whippet standard... Hopefully the judge will look at my dog instead :oops:

Karen said:
The size of the dog is only a tiny part of the whole picture, a good judge will look at the complete package.  So those of you with big, small, correct sized dogs check the following and ask yourself could I also be overlooked because I have;
poor movement

incorrect construction

narrow/wide front

incorrect topline

short loin

Yes, I agree, all these things are very-very important. But I dont think that the size is only a TINY part. As important part as the above mentioned others.

But "I personally would rather see a MASSIVE typy Whippet than a correct sized dog with bushy tail curled over its back "

Absolutely agree!

My opinion is that we have to attache projekting importance to size, but never independent of other characteristics.

:thumbsup:

Lolcoe said:
Yes they are whoppers now!! Rebel is a mini greyhound and weighs about 44lb!!!
I much prefer to see the smaller ones :thumbsup:

that's the answere in this last post. After 40 yrs of breeding racing Whippets that are crosse with Greyhounds or 2nd generation Greyhounds , sadly I fear it has crossed over to the Pedgree Whippets. After all it's only the breeders word that they have used a certain dog. When I go to shows and Whippets are as tall andbig as my Shepherds, there must be something wrong. I think DNA testing is the answer to the problem.

Mike

[SIZE=14pt]Hi my Tilly is 18ins so she is within the breed standard. We went to our match night tonight and Tilly got 2nd and the Judge said what a lovery size whippet she is. im sorry but I think Whippets are getting to big[/SIZE]

Karen said:
Quite often exhibitors with smaller/bigger dogs imagine they have been overlooked because of the dogs size when in actual fact it may not be that at all.

The size of the dog is only a tiny part of the whole picture, a good judge will look at the complete package.    [SIZE=14pt]KEEP SMILIN[/SIZE]

I also do not think that size is "only a tiny part of the whole picture". Their size was one of the things that attracted me to this breed , when I felt I am getting too old to cope with Borzois and Danes.

And I do not agree that the large Whippets are necessarily better. Many look more like a greyhound than a Whippet .

In the giant breeds the bigger ones are usually totally unsound, yet they often win, because in the line up the smaller sound ones do not look as impressive. But standard of the giant breeds calls for strong physique.

Unfortunately, it is a human nature to be attracted to the big strong puppy. But Whippet needs to be fast and nimble, he does not need a heavy bone structure.

mikadene said:
Lolcoe said:

that's the answere in this last post. After 40 yrs of breeding racing Whippets that are crosse with Greyhounds or 2nd generation Greyhounds , sadly I fear it has crossed over to the Pedgree Whippets. After all it's only the breeders word that they have used a certain dog. When I go to shows and Whippets are as tall andbig as my Shepherds, there must be something wrong. I think DNA testing is the answer to the problem.

Mike

Are you implying that some whippet breeders are stupid :eek: and dishonest enough (w00t) t o actually mate a whippet bitch to a greyhound dog :eek: :eek: ?? Who in their right mind would do that for showing ?

Well Ive heard it all now (w00t)

Karen said:

The size of the dog is only a tiny part of the whole picture, a good judge will look at the complete package.  So those of you with big, small, correct sized dogs check the following and ask yourself could I also be overlooked because I have;

poor movement

incorrect construction

narrow/wide front

incorrect topline

short loin

I could go on and on.  It is very easy to have some excuse for not doing well it makes us feel better.  I can also think of lots of people who have done VERY well with there first ever show dog so that apprentiship theory doesnt hang true either.  some people have been breeding and showing for years and have never won anything but they enjoy thier hobby.

I personally would rather see a MASSIVE typy Whippet than a correct sized dog with bushy tail curled over its back (w00t)

Lastly no one is breeding big Whippets to sell to the US, just do some research where are those English dogs in the US? 

Lastly lastly,  I think bitches always look better in mixed classes so would never be surprised if a good biggy beat my dog.  [SIZE=14pt]KEEP SMILIN[/SIZE]

Agree with you 100% Karen ,

I sometimes wonder if people look at their own dogs and see what faults IT has

got.

When out walking I always like to see the movement in my dogs , when they free stand I look at their shape , and all with a judges critical eye , and I dont always like what I see :- " So I know I shouldnt win EVERY time ;)

JAX said:
Karen said:

poor movement

incorrect construction

narrow/wide front

incorrect topline

short loin

I could go on and on.  It is very easy to have some excuse for not doing well it makes us feel better.  I can also think of lots of people who have done VERY well with there first ever show dog so that apprentiship theory doesnt hang true either.  some people have been breeding and showing for years and have never won anything but they enjoy thier hobby.

Lastly lastly,  I think bitches always look better in mixed classes so would never be surprised if a good biggy beat my dog.  [SIZE=14pt]KEEP SMILIN[/SIZE]

Agree with you 100% Karen ,

I sometimes wonder if people look at their own dogs and see what faults IT has

got.

When out walking I always like to see the movement in my dogs , when they free stand I look at their shape , and all with a judges critical eye , and I dont always like what I see :- " So I know I shouldnt win EVERY time ;)

Hear, hear!! No-one is more critical of my dogs than me!!! And whilst I will try and breed with correct size in mind, construction and movement will ALWAYS take

precedence over height.

JAX said:
mikadene said:
Lolcoe said:

Mike

Are you implying that some whippet breeders are stupid :eek: and dishonest enough (w00t) t o actually mate a whippet bitch to a greyhound dog :eek: :eek: ?? Who in their right mind would do that for showing ?

Well Ive heard it all now (w00t)

Hi Jax,

Just take a look at the K9 NoN ped section. It is full of cross bred dogs. To breed some Greyhound blood into Whippets, ( By the way they came from Gryhounds in the first Place), one needs to use a Whippet dog the smaller the better and a smallish Greyhound. Keep the ones you want to breed from and then use a Whippet male on your bitches again.

Now Pedigree's are only as honest as the person who is doing the breeding. I can remember a certain well know GSD breeder from Wales using a highly sought after dog at stud on many bitches in his kennels in Wales. It wasn't until he upset the wife that the truth came out that this stud dog has never left Germany. Many GSD's had to be re registered. It is a sad fact that there are some unscupulous folks out there. Mine are DNA'd. That at least shows that mine are bred with some ammount of Honesty.

Mike

But we are talking about height in pedigree (show) Whippets here not cross breds

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back