The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Idea's What Could Be Done

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
got-the-cent said:
got-the-cent said:
QUESTION: What is classed as a non ped whippet is it  3/4 whippetgreyhound or is it 3/4 greyhound whippet.what i mean by this is if the non ped as more whippet than greyhound in it does   that  makes it non ped.Or other way round if it as  more greyhound in it than whippet is it a non ped greyhound.just a question not looking for arguement  :thumbsup:
think you will find i asked what is a non ped whippet or non ped greyhound ?

also asked about this but never got a answer...well you have in non ped whippets up to 36ld up to 40ld why not up to 48ld and that will make people think when they breeding and if there is a over 48ld comes out somewhere along the line well its like any breeding whether its none ped whippets, peds of any breed its a chance you take omo THIS MAYBE TO EASY WHO KNOWS

when the NWRF first formed to cater for the over 32lb non-ped whippet it came into being with a 35lb weight limit which qualified for Top Ten points etc and additional racing for No Limit Scratch ( being any dog over 35lb) all in 100% payout over the years at the request of members the 40lb scratch was introduced still classed as additional racing all in 100% payout as time as gone on these 2 classes have been given more status than the term additional racing giving them the same prestige as the handicap classes i.e. T.T.points etc,

These dogs now form a big part of the non-ped whippet racing but the ever increasing size of some of these dogs a lot being freak of nature and some being intentional through the breeding programme of some owners, this gave the NNWRF cause for concern over the past few years as to the safety of dogs just over the 40lb weight instead of capping the weight we introduced a 3rd scratch class being 48lb I believe this was the right way to go by cutting down the competition for the 50lb plus dogs its unfortunate this affected the dogs that are above that weight through the gene pool but thats life.

Now we have to look at where do we go from here with the constant accusations of small but full greyhounds being registered with false breeding to run as non-ped whippets which is under investigation at present but we have to be able to prove it if / when we do the situation will be dealt with

The following is my own personal veiws as a non-ped whippet racer whos has owned and raced scratch dogs from 37lb to no limit

should the NNWRF bring in a 56lb scratch class and anything above that be classed as NO LIMIT additional racing as it first began

THERE IS NO PLACE IN NON-PED WHIPPET RACING FOR FULL GREYHOUNDS it really is beyond me why anyone would want to do it

But surely if you capped it off at 48ld then u would not need to put extra weight groups on.If the weight groups not there such as 50ld+ that would stop a lot of big breeding what's going to be next 60+ 70+ ect if you keep putting weight groups up and people will breed more greyhound in to there breeding and as you say unmarked greyhounds will be more common.omo

Last edited by a moderator:
Should the NNWRF bring in a 56lb scratch class and anything above that be classed as NO LIMIT additional racing as it first began

I don’t think the doors should be opened any more, if we put an extra class in it will do the reverse to what we are trying to achieve "bring the size down, breed sensibly"

Also there’s the extra cost for extra trophies for another class...since we added the extra 48lb class this year, the cost has been at least over £500 ... members wanted to add the class 48lb, then they wanted it adding in puppy scr, vet scr and also yearling scr that made 12 extra classes ... some of these classes esp. at champs had no entry's so trophies bought were a waste of money

Think the puppy scr, vet scr and also yearling scr has to be rethought

Agree with the 48lb extra class for safety issues esp. in the adults ...think it was a wise move ...but as said don’t not for one moment think we should bring a 56lb and over class in play

Just my opinion

got-the-cent said:
But surely if you capped it off at 48ld then u would not need to put extra weight groups on.If the weight groups not there such as 50ld+ that would stop a lot of big breeding what's going to be next 60+ 70+ ect if you keep putting weight groups up and people will breed more greyhound in to there breeding and as you say unmarked greyhounds will be more common.omo
not that youve said anything wrong BUT will answer you when you make youself known can't be doing with all these new k9 members who suddenly pop up anonimously introduce yourself and your input will be welcomed

got-the-cent said:
got-the-cent said:
QUESTION: What is classed as a non ped whippet is it  3/4 whippetgreyhound or is it 3/4 greyhound whippet.what i mean by this is if the non ped as more whippet than greyhound in it does   that  makes it non ped.Or other way round if it as  more greyhound in it than whippet is it a non ped greyhound.just a question not looking for arguement  :thumbsup:

No one can answer that for the reasons I previously explained. If geneticists can't even quantify it then surely you can't expect a non-ped racer to know the answer either.

got-the-cent said:
@scotand this year @ the fed open there was all of ONE dog racing in the 48lb class this was as ya do. mine is 48lb also but didnt want to race her that day ( hungover lol) so if the class only goes to 48lb which is wot i think u r saying? wot wud happen to all the NO LIMITS that ran? ( over 48lb)

DENISE BAILEY said:
Should the NNWRF bring in a 56lb scratch class and anything above that be classed as NO LIMIT additional racing as it first began

I don’t think the doors should be opened any more, if we put an extra class in it will do the reverse to what we are trying to achieve "bring the size down, breed sensibly"

Also there’s the extra cost for extra trophies for another class...since we added the extra 48lb class this year, the cost has been at least over £500 ... members wanted to add the class 48lb, then they wanted it adding in puppy scr, vet scr and also yearling scr that made 12 extra classes ... some of these classes esp. at champs had no entry's so trophies bought were a waste of money

Think the puppy scr, vet scr and also yearling scr has to be rethought

Agree with the 48lb extra class for safety issues esp. in the adults ...think it was a wise move ...but as said don’t not for one moment think we should bring a 56lb and over class in play

Just my opinion

suggesting a 56lb class would be to replace the no limit as it is now therefor capping the scratch racing all that would need to be done was change the engraving plates on trophies

NO LIMIT would then be anything above and would be additional racing no trophies just winner take all

personal opinion here probably get shot down for it :sweating: but I DON'T THINK SCRATCH DOGS SHOULD BE RACING AS PUPS I'm not a supporter of puppy racing in general myself think 8 and 9 months is much too early, 12 months is plenty early enough fo any dog to start racing but moreso with the scratch dogs

sherry said:
got-the-cent said:
@scotand this year @ the fed open there was all of ONE dog racing in the 48lb class this was as ya do. mine is 48lb also but didnt want to race her that day ( hungover lol) so if the class only goes to 48lb which is wot i think u r saying? wot wud happen to all the NO LIMITS that ran? ( over 48lb)

they probs go lurcher racing as a few do anyway but thats another subject

got-the-cent said:
sherry said:
got-the-cent said:

Yes it is another subject, not on the topic and yet again made by a new member that no-one knows. As Linda said, make yourself known and then your thoughts can be taken into consideration without the suspicion that the person posting under a new name is someone already registered and wanting annonimity to cause more friction.

chris.

chris

wild whippies said:
got-the-cent said:
got-the-cent said:

No one can answer that for the reasons I previously explained. If geneticists can't even quantify it then surely you can't expect a non-ped racer to know the answer either.

Quite right (again) Jac :thumbsup:

Even if it came about that they made a decision and did quantify this then the question would arise - if one pup in the litter is genetically consitered a "non-ped greyhound" after testing then would this mean the entire litter (even under 35lb littermates) would have to be considered non-ped greyhounds and only be allowed to race against greyhounds.

Or is it more than the luck of the draw and someone who buys a pup that turns out to be a "non-ped greyhound" when it's littermates are "non-ped whippets" is simply told "tough luck, get out of the sport until you get a 'non-ped whippet' or just get rid of your pet and buy something else".

Both options I would see as unfeasible and unfair on both whippet (emphasis on PET) owners and breeders :thumbsup: .

Though I think some are having throuble with these little theory lessons :wacko: .

Yes it is another subject, not on the topic and yet again made by a new member that no-one knows. As Linda said, make yourself known and then your thoughts can be taken into consideration without the suspicion that the person posting under a new name is someone already registered and wanting annonimity to cause more friction.

chris.

chris OK put it another the way they push the NO LIMIT UP the bigger the dogs get and the less whippet will be in them.Are my points on this subject causing friction DO not THINK SO.Says IDEARS and thats and idear.And if they do not get this nipped in the bud it will keep raising its head.omo

Ok so what about this as a proposal to go forward with:-

1) You can outcross to a greyhound once in three generations from now onwards

(this should help gradually to slow the trend for bigger and bigger dogs)

2) Both governing bodies have scratch classes for up to 40lb,48lb,56lb, these to be a full part to the racing with trophies etc where applicable

3)No limit should now be over 56lb (just for non peds) but this is additional racing winner takes all, no trophies, not eligible for supreme scratch.

4) No scratch puppy racing but yearling is extended from 18 to 24 mths to encourage racers to take their time with bigger dogs and make the purchasing of trophies more worthwhile due to bigger entries

What do people think of this because Im seriously thinking of putting this up as a proposal for the AGM at the BWRA and for consideration by the fed although I realise they are not a democratic organisation so it would just be a suggestion.

DavidH said:
best way as nnwrf has done introduce up to 48 classthen no limit then get them in :thumbsup:

you will  never police any other system in whippet cross what ever.

has anybody tryed a saluki /whippet.could it run in the no limit it is a sight hound???

YES DAVID I HAVE HAD THEM A LONG TIME AGO BUT THEY DO LACK EARLY PACE BUT WILL RUN ALL DAY THE NEXT OUT CROSS IS MUCH BETTER AND SO ON THERE ARE SOME GREAT DOGS STILL RUNNING NOW WITH A LITTLE SULUKI IN THEM IM SURE THEY WONT MIND ME SAYING BUT A GREAT DOG WAS RED RAIN HIS GRANDMUM WAS A DOG CALLED STEFI SHE HAD SULUKI IN HER SHE WAS A GREAT BITCH BEAT ME MANY A TIME AND HAS PRODUCED A GREAT LINE

GARY :cheers:

marielou said:

2) Both governing bodies have scratch classes for up to 40lb,48lb,56lb, these to be a full part to the racing with trophies etc where applicable

3)No limit should now be over 56lb (just for non peds) but this is additional racing winner takes all, no trophies, not eligible for supreme scratch.

4) No scratch puppy racing but yearling is extended from 18 to 24 mths to encourage racers to take their time with bigger dogs and make the purchasing of trophies more worthwhile due to bigger entries

What do people think of this because Im seriously thinking of putting this up as a proposal for the AGM at the BWRA and for consideration by the fed although I realise they are not a democratic organisation so it would just be a suggestion.

hi jaq i think some of your points r great i agree with number 1 not so sure about number 2 as i dont think it wud b fair on the likes of musclebound who runs the straights as he wud end up getting solos a lot of the time but maybe consider it on the bends. 3 same as 2. 4 i disagree that there shud b no puppy scratch as i think its up to the individual if u want to race yiour scratch dog as apuppy i did race nikki @ 10 months and its done her no harm but if she hadnt been ready then she wudnt have ran. deneside coling is showing running him as a puppy also did him no harm hes now wiining adult races @ under 13 months. maybe dont have trophies on and make it additional racing but i think people shud make their own mind up wot to do with their own dogs. good idea to extend yearling racing till 24 months though but i wud say maybe in all classes.

sherry said:
marielou said:

hi jaq i think some of your points r great i agree with number 1 not so sure about number 2 as i dont think it wud b fair on the likes of musclebound who runs the straights as he wud end up getting solos a lot of the time but maybe consider it on the bends. 3 same as 2. 4 i disagree that there shud b no puppy scratch as i think its up to the individual if u want to race yiour scratch dog as apuppy i did race nikki @ 10 months and its done her no harm but if she hadnt been ready then she wudnt have ran. deneside coling is showing running him as a puppy also did him no harm hes now wiining adult races @ under 13 months. maybe dont have trophies on and make it additional racing but i think people shud make their own mind up wot to do with their own dogs. good idea to extend yearling racing till 24 months though but i wud say maybe in all classes.

Hi its Marie not Jacs, just didnt want any confusion over identities at the mo :D :D

:oops: sorry marielou thought it was jaqs as posted in the same manner lol :oops:

sherry said:
:oops: sorry marielou thought it was jaqs as posted in the same manner lol  :oops:
Are you trying to say that you don't think Marie could sound that professional (w00t)

Shame on you Carole :- "

:huggles: :oops:

got-the-cent said:
sherry said:
got-the-cent said:

Or even greyhound racing too ...george lol :blink:

DENISE BAILEY said:
got-the-cent said:
sherry said:
got-the-cent said:

Or even greyhound racing too ...george lol :blink:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back