The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Idea's What Could Be Done

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
marielou said:
Ok so what about this as a proposal to go forward with:-
1) You can outcross to a greyhound once in three generations from now onwards

(this should help gradually to slow the trend for bigger and bigger dogs)

2) Both governing bodies have scratch classes for up to 40lb,48lb,56lb, these to be a full part to the racing with trophies etc where applicable

3)No limit should now be over 56lb (just for non peds) but this is additional racing winner takes all, no trophies, not eligible for supreme scratch.

4) No scratch puppy racing but yearling is extended from 18 to 24 mths to encourage racers to take their time with bigger dogs and make the purchasing of trophies more worthwhile due to bigger entries

What do people think of this because Im seriously thinking of putting this up as a proposal for the AGM at the BWRA and for consideration by the fed although I realise they are not a democratic organisation so it would just be a suggestion.

some good suggestions Marie the NNWRF committee are allways willing to discuss anything the members wish to put forward if need be we are not adverse to coming back to the members for their veiws

Just looking at point

2) I know there are proposals being put to the BWRA to add a 48lb scratch class or to alter the classes they have now to 38lb / 48lb / no limit

WHAT IT NEEDS TO GET THESE THROUGH IS THE MEMBERS TO USE THEIR VOTE

4) when the yearlings was first introduced by the NWRF (who at that time did not stage puppy racing other than a puppy championship) the age was 12 to 24 mths proved not to work well as the same dogs were elligible to run with adults at 12 months it was suggested yearlings be 12 to 18 months and adults 18 months on but never materialised.

1) looks good in theory would need policing but it would still be dependant on peoples honesty which is one of the points in question in recent events

please do put your suggestions forward

marielou said:

2) Both governing bodies have scratch classes for up to 40lb,48lb,56lb, these to be a full part to the racing with trophies etc where applicable

3)No limit should now be over 56lb (just for non peds) but this is additional racing winner takes all, no trophies, not eligible for supreme scratch.

4) No scratch puppy racing but yearling is extended from 18 to 24 mths to encourage racers to take their time with bigger dogs and make the purchasing of trophies more worthwhile due to bigger entries

What do people think of this because Im seriously thinking of putting this up as a proposal for the AGM at the BWRA and for consideration by the fed although I realise they are not a democratic organisation so it would just be a suggestion.

Agree with your 1st point Marie,because I believe it is the only way that sizes will come down,but cannot agree with point No 3 as this will put our Harv in the additional racing where he wont have a chance to race the rest of the scratch dogs on the straights aswell as the bends.Cannot see the point in having a dog that you cant race against anything else(possibly Murphy on the bends).Cannot see the point of travelling miles during the year to run for your entry fee back,because I am pretty positive that at many of the races he would end up running on his own :wacko: At the end of the day I bought a half cross exactly the same as the rest of his litter,unfortunately he will be penalised for growing larger than his litter mates :(

rodders said:
marielou said:

Agree with your 1st point Marie,because I believe it is the only way that sizes will come down,but cannot agree with point No 3 as this will put our Harv in the additional racing where he wont have a chance to race the rest of the scratch dogs on the straights aswell as the bends.Cannot see the point in having a dog that you cant race against anything else(possibly Murphy on the bends).Cannot see the point of travelling miles during the year to run for your entry fee back,because I am pretty positive that at many of the races he would end up running on his own :wacko: At the end of the day I bought a half cross exactly the same as the rest of his litter,unfortunately he will be penalised for growing larger than his litter mates :(

Sorry Karen I was trying to find a weight that didnt exclude anyone currently running straights and bends, I thought he was 56lb, :) we can always change it to 58lb or 60lb. My point is that if you can run straights and bends like Harv, even when its a struggle :) then you should be in the scratch. If you only want to participate in a bit of the sport then the additional racing is appropriate. In this way everyone can still race but we are making a statement that we exclude no one but we promote year round participation in a year round sport.

I know that might mean that some people in the future including myself might have to race a biggun in the additional but we have to draw the line somewhere and with the other measures in time over 60lb should be a rarity.

Is there a dog currently running both bends and straights who is heavier than Harv cos I dont want to exclude anyone else :D

Last edited by a moderator:
marielou said:
rodders said:
marielou said:

Sorry Karen I was trying to find a weight that didnt exclude anyone currently running straights and bends, I thought he was 56lb, :) we can always change it to 58lb or 60lb. My point is that if you can run straights and bends like Harv, even when its a struggle :) then you should be in the scratch. If you only want to participate in a bit of the sport then the additional racing is appropriate. In this way everyone can still race but we are making a statement that we exclude no one but we promote year round participation in a year round sport.

I know that might mean that some people in the future including myself might have to race a biggun in the additional but we have to draw the line somewhere and with the other measures in time over 60lb should be a rarity.

Is there a dog currently running both bends and straights who is heavier than Harv cos I dont want to exclude anyone else :D

there is no easy solution to this dilemma without affecting some genuine members dogs I would hate for that to happen perhaps the way forward is accept what are allready registered as what they are supposed to be non-ped whippets when weve weeded out the imposters if we can and look to what we accept for registration in the future i.e no greyhound blood for the next 5 years, no 3/4 gh x 3/4 gh, no imported stock

[ agree with you linda that its difficult to penalise the genuine members who have registered over 50 lbs crosses and we must value there support .perhaps a cooling off period could be introduced.But you cant get away from the fact that a limit must be introducrd on scratch dogs or where will it end.WE are talking about extending puppy status to two years for scratch dogs,a good idea, but only falling in line with greyhound racing.You cant control people with breeding from straight greyhounds both dogs and bitches and they have there own agendas maybe hunting or running at long dogs.but the weight limit prevents them running in WHIPPET RACING.Another thing that miffs the open racers is the multitude of scrach classes that are solos with yearlings puppy and vets.this doesnt include championship meetings but your weekly opens.STILL THATS PROBABLY ANOTHER TOPIC.

marielou said:
rodders said:
marielou said:

No need for apologies Marie,I see where your coming from.With regards to any changes that are made,I think Linda has hit the nail on the head,'accept dogs already registered' :thumbsup:

rodders said:
I think Linda has hit the nail on the head,'accept dogs already registered' :thumbsup:
I'm thinking this is probably the best thing tbh. May it be a lesson learnt for both organisations, I feel we would need to come up with something for future registrations though. The good thing about k9 is most people with litters show pic's of them with at least the dam and it's there for us all to see as a good reference.

IVE JUST BRED TWO LITTERS OF SCRATCH DOGS STAG POSSESSED X GREYHOUND CANT SAY WHAT SIZE THEY WILL BE WONT BE REGISTERD FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTHS

SO ARE YOU SAYING I SHOULD GET RID NOW THEN

SCRATCH RACING IS A GROWING SPORT WITHOUT IT NON PED RACING WILL NOT SURVIVE THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH DOGS

:b

GARY

theres not that many dogs over 55 pound i say leave it alone dont see the point in changing it :( if you go back before the supreme scratch was brought in there wasn't this debate you won 36 or 40 or no limit and were happy to take the accolade from these classes :) the 36 and 40 never met with the bigger no limit in my opinion the supreme scratch has caused a bit of trouble :- " anyone who breeds with a greyhound cant dictate the size they could end up so i reckon no limit means just that as long as it fits in a whippet trap cant see a problem i do think you have some good points though Marie

The simple solution for all those not wanting any ghd in their breeding or not wanting to run with the bigger ghd cross dogs is buy a KC registered pedigree whippet. I believe they have their own race events where only dogs of guarrenteed pure parentage can run. You might want to consider what closing the gene pool has done to the KC whippet though.

I personaly don't want to run little dogs and I suspect many scratch racers feel the same way. If the type of dog I want to run isn't accommadated by the BWRA or NNWRF then I won't run with those organisations. I could always go back lurcher racing. Any scratch racing titles given out by organisations with a restricted entry will be worthless since the winning dog won't be the fastest dog in the country anymore - that accolade will belong to the top racing "lurcher". No doubt, rather like the peds, we'll end up with a situation where the champ dogs won't race against lurchers to save them the embarrasment of being beaten.

I appears to me the people wanting change have no knowledge of how the current non ped type was originaly formed, no knowledge of the history of whippet racing, no knowledge of basic genetics, no understanding of the ramification of closing the gene pool on the current type and misunderstand what the result of effectively ruining scratch racing will have on the membership levels and financial status of the whippet racing bodies.

gary farmer said:
IVE JUST BRED TWO LITTERS OF SCRATCH DOGS STAG POSSESSED  X GREYHOUND  CANT SAY WHAT SIZE THEY WILL BE WONT BE REGISTERD FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTHS  SO ARE YOU SAYING I SHOULD GET RID NOW THEN

SCRATCH RACING IS A GROWING SPORT WITHOUT IT NON PED RACING WILL NOT SURVIVE THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH DOGS

:b

GARY

gary it's survived all these years without scr racing iam sure it will survive in the future :- " just my opinion

impossible now :- " its a masive part of our sport :thumbsup: cant wait for mine wor john and steve bells greyhound :thumbsup: thought youd packed in mr gill :p

mutley said:
impossible now :- "  its a masive part of our sport :thumbsup:   cant wait for mine wor john and steve bells  greyhound  :thumbsup:   thought youd packed in mr gill :p
i have but that mean i can't have a opinion.

scr racing was introduced to cater for dogs over 32lb that were bred in the correct manner i,e, small whippet dog and a sprint greyhound ,now it's a JOKE and time it was stopped.

again just my opinion. :- "

Sick of people having a go at the scratch racers we all pay the same membership fees to the BWRA and NNWRF so we should all be treat equally :( As for the scratch puppy,yearling and vetran classes often being solos this also often what happens with the yards for pounders :- "

22 no limits @ the champs now i havent looked but was this the largest class or @ least one of the largest classes? i disagree with only letting dogs already reg run. wot happens in the future when i breed nikki who is half ghd half whippet? i am going to a whippet but who knows wot size they cud go too?its always the same this time of year when the bends is on the horizon people start on about the size of scr dogs and capping it etc. ive said many time NO LIMIT means NO LIMIT! this is moreso about the breeding this topic ( which makes a change) i think before anyone proposes anything they shud go back thru this whole topic and c wot everyones opinions are scr racers in particular

LJR said:
Sick of people having a go at the scratch racers we all pay the same membership fees to the BWRA and NNWRF so we should all be treat equally :(   As for the scratch puppy,yearling and vetran classes often being solos this also often  what happens with the yards for pounders  :- "
lisa happens every year when rthe bend is about to start.

sherry said:
i disagree with only letting dogs already reg run. wot happens in the future when i breed nikki who is half ghd half whippet?
Carol, re-read mine and Rodders post, we're referring to the dogs who have allegations made against them, to leave them and let them run but learn our lesson for the future. Not stop registering scratch dogs altogether, that would be foolish. :thumbsup:

LJR said:
Sick of people having a go at the scratch racers we all pay the same membership fees to the BWRA and NNWRF so we should all be treat equally :(   As for the scratch puppy,yearling and vetran classes often being solos this also often  what happens with the yards for pounders  :- "
there is nobody that likes to watch the scratch racing more than me,all iam getting at is the way they are being bred ,get back to the proper way of breeding.

sherry said:
22 no limits @ the champs now i havent looked but was this the largest class or @ least one of the largest classes? i disagree with only letting dogs already reg run. wot happens in the future when i breed nikki who is half ghd half whippet? i am going to a whippet but who knows wot size they cud go too?its always the same this time of year when the bends is on the horizon people start on about the size of scr dogs and capping it etc. ive said many time NO LIMIT means NO LIMIT!  this is moreso about the breeding this topic ( which makes a change) i think before anyone proposes anything they shud go back thru this whole topic and c wot everyones opinions are scr racers in particular

well said caz :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back