The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Injured Pup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have to say Billy, I still still stand by my original post.

As responsible dog owners we have to be able to ensure we can give our dogs the best possible treatment. If that means that we can't afford vet's bills then we need to rethink.

As a vet nurse there are many things that I have been trained to do, and would therefore carry out myself. However, I am not a vet, I did not receive the years of training, or pass exams, so if my dog had an injury that required investigation I would be straight to the vet.

R.I.C.E is applicable to many injuries, but without confirmation from a vet's exam, you can't take it as read. I speak from experience :wacko: A few years ago, I had a nasty accident where I really smacked my calf. Quite happily carrying on through the pain assuring myself I had bruised the bone, I lasted 2 weeks. Went to the hospital in the end, and found I had a fracture. My leg has never recovered from not beng cast in the first instance. Lesson learnt, and that was for myself. I can guarantee that if my dog had had an injury like this it would have been straight to the vets, regardless of cost.

I hear where you're coming from re the insurance, but you must admit, there are plenty of ways round that. Many people do not insure due to the amount of dogs that they keep, BUT they then generally have a contingency in the form of a savings account. Those that do, tend to take the stance that Kris spoke about when telling the vet exactly what the dog was doing at the time of injury.

It's of no help jumping on people who are purely concerned over the welfare of dogs. If you didn't want advice, you wouldn't have posted originally. We can't help it if you don't like what advice has been given.

I too was very concerned about the dog in your other post who had an infection, but refrained from posting as it is very difficult to put things into words. I was shocked to think that this dog had such a severe infection and had not been seen by a vet.

How is the dog today?

TCx

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make everyone aware, new legislation means if you don't seek veterinary attention you could be liable for prosecution.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/index.htm

Also do vets really give a damn if your dogs a racer? If it's insured, they get paid, what benefit is disclosing this information to the insurance comapnies? certainly not the vets!

I'm sorry BUT this makes me real wild :rant:

If you cant afford to run a car ie: put petrol in it, insure it & tax it..................DONT OWN ONE :- "

If you cant afford to own a dog ie: provide veterinary care where needed and/or pet insurance................DONT OWN ONE :- "

If the poor dog needs veterinary care surely it may be an idea to sell your pc which i see you can obviously afford to own & run rather than let your poor dog suffer??? :blink:

So if it were one of your kids (if you have any) would you take a gamble with their lives & treat them yourself rather than take them to a Doctor cos you had to pay????

If you have had so many animals pts because vets have recommended it as you havent had the funds to pay for the correct treatment by private vets i would seriously think about reducing your number of dogs to NIL before anymore suffer :(

not to do with this ..

a very respectable vet once told me that 7/10 greyhounds fracture their tibia`s whilst in the paddocks 99% of the time these injurys are not treated as the youngsters show very little lameness and 9/10 these injurys dont stop the ghd`s from running ..................i guess what im saying is you might not think that the injury is bad so therefore dont seek medical advise .......... :- "

when working with recues I have seen loads of diy vet jobs peoepl have done on there dogs and most if not in pain strat after when there older have sufferd becoues of it. vets have trained for years becoues what they do is not easy if it were we would all be vets.

i would do everything needed to make sure all my dogs got vet treetment when needed watever I had to do. I would sell my sole if i had to but they would allways see a vet. I dont use tha fact I have 9 dogs some greyhounds some whippets as an excues to do it myself and I dont have much money eather but I will allways fined it some how for them.

Thanks god for the new laws

fallenangel said:
when working with recues I have seen loads of diy vet jobs peoepl have done on there dogs and most if not in pain strat after when there older have sufferd becoues of it. vets have trained for years becoues what they do is not easy if it were we would all be vets.  i would do everything needed to make sure all my dogs got vet treetment when needed watever I had to do. I would sell my sole if i had to but they would allways see a vet.  I dont use tha fact I have 9 dogs some greyhounds some whippets as an excues to do it myself and I dont have much money eather but I will allways fined it some how for them.

well said wendy. :thumbsup: a post straight from the heart. :huggles:

wild whippies said:
Just to make everyone aware, new legislation means if you don't seek veterinary attention you could be liable for prosecution.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/index.htm

Also do vets really give a damn if your dogs a racer? If it's insured, they get paid, what benefit is disclosing this information to the insurance comapnies? certainly not the vets!

prior to this act it was still illegal to cause an animal unnecessary suffering :thumbsup:

markbrick said:
billyboy45 said:
alfyn said:
I would say get him to the vets NOW!!
To me,folks that can't make the effort to get to the vets immediately when needed,however far away they are,shouldn't have animals!

Ok mouth piece,as it happens,my vet is over 100 miles away.That is,the only one i trust.Ive taken pups,racing dogs,and greyhounds,to various vets.Paid them a load of borrowed money(At times),and had them wrongly diagnose the injury.leaving me owing money and a pup,dog or whatever,having to be PTS.This has happened on more occasions that i care to remember.Experience has told me,that you dont go running to the vet,everytime a pup or whatever hurts itself.Otherwise we couldnt afford to keep them all.Tarn was injured on numerous occasions,all of which i treated myself.And her racing record was 2nd to none.Winning her last All Ireland Title,at the age of 71/2 years old.Recently.Megan broke her tail,about 4 inches from the end.3 different vets i took her to,wanted to amputate the end of her tail,saying it wouldnt take.I fixed it myself,and its 100% healed.So dont dare tell me that i shouldnt have animals.I put off having a heart opp,and also anther time put off a hernia opp twice,because one of the dogs was sick.So dont dare lable me as a none carer.Im on the sick due to heart probs and other things,so cant afford these big vet bills all the time,when they're not needed in the first place.And 9 times out of 10,rest is the best cure of all.

billy you are experianced enough to know what to do,and dont take on board to much of certain people on these forums take care mark

Mark,

I don't mean to be funny, but if Billy was experienced enough to know what to do, why is he asking for advice on here?

TCx

fallenangel said:
when working with recues I have seen loads of diy vet jobs peoepl have done on there dogs and most if not in pain strat after when there older have sufferd becoues of it. vets have trained for years becoues what they do is not easy if it were we would all be vets.  i would do everything needed to make sure all my dogs got vet treetment when needed watever I had to do. I would sell my sole if i had to but they would allways see a vet.  I dont use tha fact I have 9 dogs some greyhounds some whippets as an excues to do it myself and I dont have much money eather but I will allways fined it some how for them.

same goes here,

our dogs got there mot today £32 in fuel £10 per dog thats another £70 and all got a clean bill of heath and we are unable to go to work

billyboy45 said:
One of my 3/4 pups ,injured the inside of his knee joint this evening,and with doin what i usualy do,to find and pinpoint injuries,i need to get a look at summit that would show me ligament and muscle stuff,on the inside of the knee.As all the stuff ive looked at,only shows the outside tendons,ligament and muscle's.I have found the injury,and need to know what i am dealing with,before i phone the vet in the morning,who is 3 hours away,and hard to get on a saturday.If i can tell him exactly where and what the problem is,i might be able to save myself,quite a long journey.Any help appreciated.  ...Billy...View attachment 42893This is the boy in question
It could have injured its deep digital flexor, which flexes the knee and extends the hind leg and flexes the toes, I hope you get it sorted Billy :luck:

TC said:
markbrick said:
billyboy45 said:
alfyn said:
To me,folks that can't make the effort to get to the vets immediately when needed,however far away they are,shouldn't have animals!

Ok mouth piece,as it happens,my vet is over 100 miles away.That is,the only one i trust.Ive taken pups,racing dogs,and greyhounds,to various vets.Paid them a load of borrowed money(At times),and had them wrongly diagnose the injury.leaving me owing money and a pup,dog or whatever,having to be PTS.This has happened on more occasions that i care to remember.Experience has told me,that you dont go running to the vet,everytime a pup or whatever hurts itself.Otherwise we couldnt afford to keep them all.Tarn was injured on numerous occasions,all of which i treated myself.And her racing record was 2nd to none.Winning her last All Ireland Title,at the age of 71/2 years old.Recently.Megan broke her tail,about 4 inches from the end.3 different vets i took her to,wanted to amputate the end of her tail,saying it wouldnt take.I fixed it myself,and its 100% healed.So dont dare tell me that i shouldnt have animals.I put off having a heart opp,and also anther time put off a hernia opp twice,because one of the dogs was sick.So dont dare lable me as a none carer.Im on the sick due to heart probs and other things,so cant afford these big vet bills all the time,when they're not needed in the first place.And 9 times out of 10,rest is the best cure of all.

billy you are experianced enough to know what to do,and dont take on board to much of certain people on these forums take care mark

Mark,

I don't mean to be funny, but if Billy was experienced enough to know what to do, why is he asking for advice on here?

TCx

show me a man who knows everything and if you can get the advice of these forums all well and good, give the man a chance before he starts spending, all us with working dogs have to do a bit of home care some times it work sometimes not,a vet told me to put a dog down once i didnt listen to him the dog got another 8 years 5 of that workin,mark

:( how is the dog today billy ?hope hes at least having some sort of pain relief .i wont post any more as i may offend .me mum always said if you aint got anything nice to say dont say out at all :- " so il zip it

alfyn said:
billyboy45 said:
alfyn said:

OK maybe i am a mouthpiece,but ffs,someone needs to say something :rant:

It doesn't matter how far away a good vet is,if your dog needs to see him,then you go! If you can't afford the vet fees,then you shouldn't have so many dogs!

You seemed very proud to show us that poor young black dog of yours that you did a diy job on,the poor dog must have been in bloody agony :(

Look what happened to his foot after you stupidly bandaged it up & let it fester,i don't think an "experienced or caring" dog owner would ever let that happen to their dogs! IMO,that is plain bloody cruelty :rant:

I'd like to see the same happen to you & see if you could stand the pain!

Id like to answer this one myself.Powerflex is a funny hard thing to work with,and if you dont get it right,it causes the foot or whatever to swell.Any vet will advise,that you dont remove it,or replace it, for at least the first week,as the set bones in ?have not yet taken,and any disturbance,could wreck the whole thing.As you cant see inside the dressing,you havent a clue,what's going on in there.The second i seen that sumething was up,i removed the cast imediately.And could i just add that it was nothing to do with the way it was put on,cause it turned out that the pup had an alergic reaction to the Latex,in the bandaging,which caused the reaction that made the foot go the way it did.The blood you seen on the foot,was mostly from where i lanced it,to relieve the pressure.Inever heard this pup as much as yelp,since the day his foot got broken.And as ive said before.If i hadnt done his foot myself he would have been P.T.S. So tell me,which was better.If you were with me,everytime i take him to the field,and see him doing the S bends,and flying past the others ,every now and then,when the notion takes him,then maybe you would think different.Could i just add something else which the wife has just reminded me of.The last time we had a dog with an injury like this,we had to drive over a 100 miles,in each direction,twice in one week.as the same thing was happening,to that dogs foot too.And this was done by a top greyhound vet,whom i no longer use.So even the big boy's get it wrong sometimes.Ive had vets actualy unintentionaly,put a pup to sleep,by giving it to much stuff in the needle,when all they were to do was put it over ,for a while,to do a bit of stiching.Another and probibly the best bitch i ever owned or will own,was taken to the vet after coliding with a ditch,and should have been put on a drip imediately,to keep the oxygen going to the brain to prevent brain damage.Iended up having to put her down 9 months later as she kept losing the co-ordination of her legs,and was always doing herself harm.This is only a small fraction of the blunders,ive seen coming out of vet surgeries.So dont talk to me about vet's,as all most of know about is how to charge,and drive big fast cars n live in big fancy houses.All paid for by ass holes like youreself ,who probibly think they know all there is to know about dogs.At least ive admitted that ive made a few mistakes,in 34 years of keeping and working my dogs.And another thing.Idont run all mine on prepared ground.As i live in the real world.

simpson said:
hold on a minute that happened because the vet did the cast too tight not what biily had done ( i think)
Sorry Simpson.But it was me who did it.But having seen the pup,several times since,and doing one xray the vet i use ,(who is the same vet that looked after Premier Fantasy,and mineola Farloe,the two top Irish Dearby dog's)say's i did a good job,as there's not much that san be done for this type of injury,and its hit or miss.He also said that at the time ,he would probibly have put the pup down.People on here must think ive no heart or summit.Well can i just be the first to say,i cried when these injuries happened,so please dont rub salt in the wound's.

billyboy45 said:
One of my 3/4 pups ,injured the inside of his knee joint this evening,and with doin what i usualy do,to find and pinpoint injuries,i need to get a look at summit that would show me ligament and muscle stuff,on the inside of the knee.As all the stuff ive looked at,only shows the outside tendons,ligament and muscle's.I have found the injury,and need to know what i am dealing with,before i phone the vet in the morning,who is 3 hours away,and hard to get on a saturday.If i can tell him exactly where and what the problem is,i might be able to save myself,quite a long journey.Any help appreciated.  ...Billy...View attachment 42893This is the boy in question
I enjoy coming onto k9 reading your stories and viewing all your dogs and it saddens me when i see someones dog ill, but thats life innit, so billyboy i wish you the very best for a speedy recovery of your pup :luck:

keith

kris said:
sorry but my twopennysworth is the same as debs.i was very upset to see the pics of that poor dogs foot.diy jobs shouldnt be attempted for some ailments especially when the dogs health and welfare is at risk.its allright comparing  it to rushing to the docs with a child every time it sneezes but theres no way thats the same.if you cant afford to get your animals treated by a vet then you ought to think about the  whys and wherefores of why you keep them.in this country if you dont get treatment for a dog or try to treat it yourself when it needs veterinary attention then you are making yourself liable for a prosecution.if you need help then the pdsa might be able to assist you,other than that why not get a few of the dogs insured and dont tell the vet treating them that theyve been injured racing or hunting.just say you were out for  a walk and the dog took off after a rabbit and the injury happened accidentally. :- "
Oh so its alright to sin,and tell lies.But its not alright to try and do the best you can under the circumstances,you find youreself in at 10 oclock on a Friday night,with no one in vet's surgeries,at that time of the night and closed for the weekend.Cause this is what happened,and all i was originaly looking for was a bit of help.But it seems that some on here just sit back and wait fot the chance to pounce.Havent seen much in the way of help.Maybe i should have just done what 80%of lurcher owners would have done,there and then.And looked for a post,to hit him over the head with.Cause in the real world,and not the fantasy one that most on here live in,thats what would have happened.Ive seen it dozen's of time's,and heard of it more.We had a litter of pup's with Parvo,one time,and the wife and myself,brought the whole litter through it,with pumping fluids under their skin every 2 hours ,for a full week.Each time,they would squeel in agony,as the skin was torn from the flesh,as the fluids went in.And they would look like Cammels for the next hour or so,with these big lumps of fluid all over them.We saved them all.Should i have let them all die,or do this D.I.Y job,and give them a life.One of these pups was never beaten in this country,and two of them reached the racing finals at chatsworth.I would do it all over again.How many on here would even have the stomach for it.Not getting at you here ,but fact is fact.You say D.I.Y.jobs shouldnt be attempted,when the dog health and wellbeing are at risk.My answer to this is simply.If i hadnt done the D.I.Y.job.There wouldnt have been a healt and wellbeing,cause he'd have been dead.And one last thing i must add.Most vets over here have notices up,which tell you that all bill's must be paid for in full at time of treatment,so what do you do,if you aint got 2,or 3 hundred £,in youre pocket at the time.

billy

did you ever try that vet at newtownstewart..cant quite remember the name but a mate of mine used it once on the way home from fishing the mourne river..its a 24 hour emergency one. im hazarding a guess you dont use it ? maybe its not there now ...pity, it wouldve only been about 10 miles from you :(

hope you get him sorted out anyway .

OK everyone i think we'v all expressed how billy should get this dog to a vets and im one of them ..but this dog needs some help so lets all put our heads together and see if we can help billy boy get this dog right so come on all you knolegable dogy people any suggestions on what he can do to help the poor little might get throu this .ps i think he should be looked at by vet but its obiousley not possible ..and the dog is wats important at the moe :thumbsup:

couldnt put it better myself,Its time a few on here got in the real world :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TC said:
I have to say Billy, I still still stand by my original post.
As responsible dog owners we have to be able to ensure we can give our dogs the best possible treatment. If that means that we can't afford vet's bills then we need to rethink.

As a vet nurse there are many things that I have been trained to do, and would therefore carry out myself. However, I am not a vet, I did not receive the years of training, or pass exams, so if my dog had an injury that required investigation I would be straight to the vet.

R.I.C.E is applicable to many injuries, but without confirmation from a vet's exam, you can't take it as read. I speak from experience  :wacko: A few years ago, I had a nasty accident where I really smacked my calf. Quite happily carrying on through the pain assuring myself I had bruised the bone, I lasted 2 weeks. Went to the hospital in the end, and found I had a fracture. My leg has never recovered from not  beng cast in the first instance. Lesson learnt, and that was for myself. I can guarantee that if my dog had had an injury like this it would have been straight to the vets, regardless of cost.

I hear where you're coming from re the insurance, but you must admit, there are plenty of ways round that. Many people do not insure due to the amount of dogs that they keep, BUT they then generally have a contingency in the form of a savings account. Those that do, tend to take the stance that Kris spoke about when telling the vet exactly what the dog was doing at the time of injury.

It's of no help jumping on people who are purely concerned over the welfare of dogs. If you didn't want advice, you wouldn't have posted originally. We can't help it if you don't like what advice has been given.

I too was very concerned about the dog in your other post who had an infection, but refrained from posting as it is very difficult to put things into words. I was shocked to think that this dog had such a severe infection and had not been seen by a vet.

How is the dog today?

TCx

The pup in ?has been seen several times by the vet,who attends my local Greyhound track once a week.Unfortunately he was there the day this pup got injured.But as the injury happened at 10 pm,he was not available even by phone,as this was my first move.The surgery is closed Sat,and Sun.So i thought that Monday was to far away,not to do something myself,in case the movement of the knee joint would need to be restricted,in some way.In the original post,i was looking for something with all the ligament imfo on it,so that i could look into as much as posible,before i did anything.And as i was in a catch 22 situation,i felt that i couldnt leave it till Monday,and would have to do something.When youre caught in a situation like this ,the panic buttons get pressed,which is exactly what happened on Friday night.This was why i turned the computer on,and asked for help.But it seems that the people on here think im some sort of Frankinstien,or summit.When all i was trying to do,was the best that i could,under the circumstances that i found myself in.I ran youthclubs and kids clubs for the church,and after going through many courses,have found that there is a vere thin line,between carring and neglecting.If id have done nothing,till Monday i would have been neglecting,and it seems that im still wrong for caring and trying to do something.Seems im beat no matter which way i turn.The photo of the pups foot,was when he was 10n1/2 weeks old,he just turned 6 month's on the 9th of April,and is my biggest and fastest pup,ay the minute.So was i wrong saving his life too.As all the greyhond men over here said i would be better putting him down.and so did a couple of vets.Sometimes,(not all)we have to go on instincts.(Wrongly or rightly)Thats the way of life.The pup will be seeing the vet tonight,as he has a dog ruuning at my local.Will let you know what he say's.Might i just add,its nice to speak to someone who know's what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back