The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Italian Greyhound X Puppys

WIGGY

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our whippet, Violet is having her first litter at the moment. Stanley Maurice is the daddy{50/50 IG x Whippet). 4 beautful blue puppies so far. Looks like a long night ahead. All babies doing well. Will post photos soon. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

congratulations :cheers:

pics please! :- " :huggles:

(w00t) Any update on the score??

and any pics yet?.............not that Im rushing you or owt :D :D

:wub: oh puppies :wub:

about time we had piccys i think :- " :thumbsup:

(w00t) ooo puppies any pics yet (by the way i am rushing you so shift it mrs ) :- " PUPPY PICS PUPPY PICS WE NEEDPUPPY PICS

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the pics - I'd adore a pup of that breeding and wouldn't care it wasn't 'pure' at all!! :wub: I think we should love our dogs for themselves and it really makes no difference what their parents are - after all, I bet most of the K9 members aren't 'pure' any race!!! I have been trying to trace my family history and it's amazing what is in there and where my ancestors come from!!

Would love to see the pic's of the puppys :)

Have they all got homes?

pollyanna said:
Congratulations!  Looking forward to seeing the pics - I'd adore a pup of that breeding and wouldn't care it wasn't 'pure' at all!!  :wub:   I think we should love our dogs for themselves and it really makes no difference what their parents are - after all, I bet most of the K9 members aren't 'pure' any race!!! I have been trying to trace my family history and it's amazing what is in there and where my ancestors come from!!

Family history can become very interesting, also frustrating at times when you just can't find that bit of info to get you further back. :)

WIGGY said:
Our whippet, Violet is having her first litter at the moment. Stanley Maurice is the daddy{50/50 IG x Whippet). 4 beautful blue puppies so far. Looks like a long night ahead.  All babies doing well. Will post photos soon.  :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:
Ohhhhh piccies please :thumbsup:

Hope it all goes well :luck: :luck: :huggles:

dunno said:
pollyanna said:
Congratulations!  Looking forward to seeing the pics - I'd adore a pup of that breeding and wouldn't care it wasn't 'pure' at all!!  :wub:   I think we should love our dogs for themselves and it really makes no difference what their parents are - after all, I bet most of the K9 members aren't 'pure' any race!!! I have been trying to trace my family history and it's amazing what is in there and where my ancestors come from!!
Idare say we all love our dogs mongrels or pure at the end of the day, no offence to Wiggy but she said he has sired 24 puppies in four litters all cross breeds, do you know where they have all gone wiggy? seems to me its breeding for breeding sake, there are plenty of puppies and dogs needing good homes. If you like breeding that much why not get yourself a total heinz and not mess with strong breeds as these, in time they will become vunerable, and again we will lose a piece of true bristish history

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why will mating a whippet to another breed or an Iggie to another breed make the breeds themselves vunerable?

Last edited by a moderator:
meddling said:
dunno said:
pollyanna said:
Idare say we all love our dogs mongrels or pure at the end of the day, no offence to Wiggy but she said he has sired 24 puppies in four litters all cross breeds, do you know where they have all gone wiggy? seems to me its breeding for breeding sake, there are plenty of puppies and dogs needing good homes. If you like breeding that much why not get yourself a total heinz and not mess with strong breeds as these, in time they will become vunerable, and again we will lose a piece of true bristish history

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why will mating a whippet to another breed or an Iggie to another breed make the breeds themselves vunerable?

The way I look at it is evolution, sure the whippet is strong at present allbe it again different from whippets in the thirties or forties, igs from people I have spoke to is not a strong true breed at present, so surely mixing them is taking away the original genes.

well looks like another witch hunt :( guess we wont get to see pics of pups

can,t say I blame her if she chooses not to put them on here :(

I my self have ped whippets but love mongrels aswell :)

we cant save all the dogs needing homes if this lady enjoys breeding her dog

that is her choice :thumbsup: hope your pups are well

be nice to each other people :cheers:

I completely agree Kris.

I do however, hope that these puppies have lovely forever homes already waiting for them - with knowledgable people :thumbsup:

I'm sure they will have no trouble finding homes - unusual crosses normally find homes quite quickly :thumbsup:

someone asked earlier why crossing iggies to whippets is a bad thing well this is my twopennysworth.its called DEBASING the breeds.if you add more slurry to gold coins its called debasing the coinage.this is just the same thing in my opinion.its not adding anything to the breeds its taking something away.and if you say theres nothing wrong with that then why on earth did people bother to breed pure bred dogs in the first place?ive nothing against mongrels by the way my first ever dog was a mongrel from liverpol dogs home.my current two rescue dogs are jack russels and everyone knows theres a lot of non ped breeding in them so im not saying this cos i have a thing about breed elitism.

For the record - with reference to an earlier post the IG is NOT universally a weak breed. There are plenty of us that are breeding purebred IGs with strong bone that are still true to type that are able to run as well as anything.

There is no need whatsoever to be crossing these 2 individually beautiful, and distinct breeds.

please can someone explain(politely please as i am in neither camp)how it makes any difference whatsoever to ped whips or ped italians if the op is breeding crosses....

for example suppose (hypothetically since i would never want to breed dogs at all) i breed ped whippets and my friend breeds ped italians, i still don't see that another person breeding crosses makes any difference at all....my dogs would still be ped whippets and my friends would still be ped italians.

to me the fact that someone is breeding crosses makes no difference to the pure breeds and cannot debase the breed at all since the crosses aren't going to contribute to the gene pool of the ped dogs. anyone purchasing a cross knows that it has only some of the characteristics of the pure breed and no real comparison can be made between the two since one is pure and one isn't.

it smacks of snobbery a bit in my humble opinion since cross breeds have been around for many years and yet it's only breeders of certain crosses that receive an almost militant response.

I would be more concerned that the dogs(both pups and parents)were raised and cared for properly and were found good kind forever homes.

it also puzzles me that when someone breeds crosses they are said to be "churning out pups" ( not just this particular thread but many a time i have read this on here)and yet plenty of people on here have many a litter of ped dogs and yet what they are doing isn't regarded as "churning" out pups.

Very few people in my opinion simply breed to enhance the breed....it's not human nature to be that selfless and people generally have another agenda, not necessarily for financial gain but nonetheless reasons that are no more admirable.

I have two pure whippets and a whippet x parson russell ( a rescue! before i get cannibalised for having a half breed).

i love all of my dogs equally and wouldn't change any of them and i don't look at my cross and think urgh how could someone debase two pure breeds....he's a lovely and worthy little dog.he's never mistaken for either breed, he is simply regarded as a mix and admired as a really super little dog.

personally i love everything about whippets and would not deliberately go out and buy a crossbred dog but having owned my little cross boy i can understand totally why people enjoy the company of a cross..he is the best behaved and most intelligent of all my dogs and for many pet owners a dog like him would be a delight. :D

I think the cause for concern is the cross breeding involves a breed of dog that doesn't have consistently sound breeding.

I have no knowledge of sire and dam so wouldn't for one second say this is the case here as I do not know if either have a predisposed genetic condition. But I can see the cause for concern from KC breeders who are well aware of the flaws within their breed and are concerned that these could be on the increase through breeding without a purpose as it were.

I would hope, for the breeders sake and the future owners that this wasn't the case here but as the iggy x whippet is a new type of hybrid, it is too early to know the outcome. Even in the world of non-ped whippet racing where greys breeding is regularly introduced, it doesn't neccesarily produce dogs free from genetic conditions although it does produce other benefits which is why it is a favoured method of breeding within non-ped racing.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back