The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jasper's diary

Discussion in 'Dog Diaries' started by JudyN, Nov 29, 2017.

JudyN

JudyN Active Member Registered

Oh, the joys of a 'special' dog...

I was hoping for a quick walk this morning but the cold, crisp weather seemed to energise Jasper and he headed up to the woods, along a path where he has had a tendency to snark at other dogs. On the way up, he grrred at a small group of 'snack-size' dogs who yapped at his ankles, then at a friend's spaniel he hadn't met before, and finally at a 12-week old pointer pup... Generally he's tolerant of pups but there were a few of us milling around with our dogs cooing over the pups.

Then, shortly after, my friend accidentally stepped on his toe, and he jumped up and snarked angrily at ME! Which is probably better than snarking at her but still felt a bit unfair!

This makes him sound like a monster... 99.9% of the time he's a perfect angel and people simply don't believe he really needs to wear his muzzle. Until they step on his toe:D

Josie, arealhuman and Oliver like this.
    Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Thanks @JudyN for starting Jaspers diary! I love to hear what everyone is up to.

Just sounds like one of those days for Jasper! and of course the ones you love the most always get the brunt of it!

JudyN

Jasper caught a scent when we were on a narrow path on some heathland this morning, and disappeared off round the corner. A moment later, what I thought was a large brown dog came belting past me, no more than a foot or two from my leg, with J in hot pursuit. Not a dog, but a deer!

The area is fenced, and fortunately J is always muzzled on walks, doesn't realise that he's more than capable of clearing a 4' fence (if it was a 4' high & wide fallen tree he'd have sailed over) and is not so inclined to charge through prickly gorse bushes nowadays. He also has pretty rubbish stamina, so he soon abandoned the hunt and came back to me, panting like a steam train. I checked him over for scrapes and grazes but he seems fine.

I remember the days when seeing a deer at such close quarters would have been awesome, rather than an 'Oh sh!t' moment:D

arealhuman likes this.
    Josie

Oh wow! Thats a sight to see!

"oh shit" moment ha ha!

JudyN

I nearly got a photo of Jasper playing with another dog today! He hardly ever wants to play with another dog and if he does, it's usually another sighthound who's been pestering him. Or he'll play, but it's in an 'OK, you wanna play? I'm gonna show you how the BIG boys play!' sort of way...

But I'd been chatting to someone in the park for a while, and been ignoring the 'Muuuuum, I'm boooored' whining for a while, so he decided to play with her cockerpoo instead - with lots of playbowing and even going easy on the boxing, given the difference in size. But the moment I got my phone out to take a photo of this unprecedented event, he wrapped his front legs round the cockerpoo and tried to hump him. And when he gave that up (it was never going to work, for various anatomical reasons:p) he got a bit more growly and worked up, so we parted before he got too rough.

I'm sure he's more lively in the cold weather - has anyone else noticed that with their dogs?

arealhuman and Josie like this.
    Josie

Yes totally!! Dennis has been really playful today to.
    He starts to hump when he gets over excited also! (He usually has quite a fancy for other lab boys)

Nice to hear Jaspers enjoyed having a play :)

JudyN

Jasper decided we were going to Upton Heath this morning, which is quite a long round walk, despite the cold. It was worth it though, the views were stunning that I had to take my gloves off to take some photos. How lucky am I to live just over a mile away from this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

arealhuman and Josie like this.
    Josie

Looks beautiful @JudyN - Jasper knows what he’s doing!

arealhuman

arealhuman Active Member Registered

In answer to your question @JudyN - very!

JudyN likes this.