The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Judge The Whippets

Millie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:) Here is a new challenge for you.........

The following is six siluetes of whippets (even I'm not sure who they are)

This is a class of six whippets, you are the judge.

you are to place 1st - 5th and to give a reason why on the winner.

This is only for a bit of fun :- " :thumbsup:

:unsure: Ok, i will have a go. But remember ive only been showing for 2 years.

1, D, Good reach of neck.

Well laid shoulder.

Nice deep brisket.

Correck topline.

Good turn of stifle

2,F.

3,A

4,E

5,B

6,C

Who is going to mark our judgeing?

Interesting exercise, but very hard. I'd make a terrible judge, that's for sure. I find it a bit nerve-wrecking to be the first to post a reply to this post, I must admit. I also think I would probably have come to a different conclusion if I had seen these dogs in the flesh and on the move. Here we go:

6th: C

Looks to much like an Italian greyhound: ewe necked, short coupled, fine bone etc.

5th: D

Looks to have short upper arms, rounded skull, straight pasterns, a fairly flat topline that ends too sharply. Slightly shallow and not enough tuck-up (has she just had a big meal?)

4th: E

Just a bit too much of everything, in particular neck. The neck does not blend smoothly into the topline either. Does not quite look like a galloping hound to me.

3rd: F

The outline suggests this bitch lacks substance, which I think is very important in whippets. Is she a bit high on leg, also? Otherwise she has a smooth, very attractive outline.

2nd: A

Although I consider myself quite conservative with regards to whippet type, I admit this pretty bitch is unlikely to look very impressive compared to more modern whippets. I still love her curves, though, and she seems to have an attractive head.

1st: B

I am unsure about his front assembly and neck, and he does not have the smoothest outline. Nevertheless, I think he has wonderful balance and just the right proportions and curves for a whippet male.

1st D. I like the overall shape, length and balance

2nd E. I would like to see this dog less stretched behind

3rd B.

4th F.

5th A.

6th C

I thought D & E were a bit flat backed, but I notice most have them in the top 3, so what am I missing?

Wendy

Ok, here goes

1st : B, for overall balance, good length, appears to have good angulation withought its back end being overdone. Nice reach of neck

2nd: D Again overall balance, although would prefer more tuck up, good reach of neck, hard to tell form its head it looks to me as its turning away in this photo which gives a bad impression. Good forechest. Pasterns a little too upright.

3rd: F Nice overall shape, but I think lacks a bit in forechest, but good neck and head

4th: A Neck is a bit stuffy, topline falls away a bit much but has a nice overall shape

5th: E So hard to tell due to it being overstretched and leaning forward. Could possible be re-placed up near the top if was stacked correctly

Unplaced yep its number C for me too - upright shoulders, ewe neck etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy said:
I thought D & E were a bit flat backed, but I notice most have them in the top 3, so what am I missing?
Wendy

E is a bit flat, but he's over-stretched so probably isn't as bad at all if stacked correctly. D is a bit flat, but as other correct features which the others don't..

Never done this before here goes.

1st. D not the best head but liked the length and overall shape.

2nd F

3rd B

4th A

5th E

unplaced C

This from someone who's been in the breed for two minutes - but oh well - just for fun.

1st B - this was tough because I was really drawn to D as both appealed to me, based on what I don't know - overall balance I guess - it was D's head that lost it for her.

2nd D

3rd A

4th F

5th C

E unplaced - didn't like this dog at all.

I think this exercise should be given to everybody who complains about judge's decision. As there is not such thing as the perfect dog, judges are basically faced with sellection of dogs like these every time they enter a ring. Of-course, the judge has other aspects to consider: such as a movement and he/she also sees inside the dogs mouth, which we on the ringside do not. I would be hopeless to judge, I am too undecisive. And trying to toss up between a great mover with hideous head and a beautiful dog which is toeing in, is just beyond me.

So i would reluctantly place;

D first - she looks OK overall, but I hate when they do not have tuck up, and she is knuckling over.

2nd F - bit exagerated for me, with too much fall off croup

E - overangulated front , toeing out, not enough tuck-up, incorrect hocks (could be stand better), bit too feminen for a dog

C - too fine, upright front

B - ewe neck, too fine bone (front legs) although his hind legs look rather stronger :unsure:

last A - totally unballanced - just does not fit together.

:sweating:

I'd hate to do this for real!

Lida

Seraphina said:
I think this exercise should be given to everybody who complains about judge's decision.  As there is not such thing as the perfect dog, judges are basically faced with sellection of dogs like these every time they enter a ring.  Of-course, the judge has other aspects to consider: such as a movement and he/she also sees inside the dogs mouth, which we on the ringside do not. 
Well said Lida! :thumbsup:

I'll have my try and say first that to me 3 look much better than the 3 others, especially concerning the front assembly. The placing of those 3 is very hard :sweating: :sweating: :sweating:

1st-E although a bit too flat in the topline for my taste, Id like to see him less streched

2nd-D-well balanced overall but not enough bend of stifle for my taste, Id say a classical type

3rd-B-Very nice indeed but Id like a better underline (more smooth and curvy)

4th-F-good outline but straight front

5th-A-topline falls away too much and Id like a better underline

6th-C-looks more like an IG to me

:sweating:

I'll give it a try from Canada.

1st A good depth of brisket .Nice forechest and topline good slope to pastern.

Nice neck.

Well balanced ,with nothing too exagerated. Tail may be a little short.

2nd B Nice topline good depth of chest nice slope to pastern.profile of head

Looks a bit stuffy in neck.

3rd F Although a bit greyhound looking and straighter in pastern than A B

I thinkthe overall balance is pleasing. ther is good depth to chest and good reach to neck

4th D Topline I find too flat pasterns aretoo upright. Placed over C and E as I think the neck into topline is decent.

5th C Front assembly looks too upright .Neck into topline is not smooth.Placed over E due to curvy underline and shorter hocks.

E unplaced Very unbalanced outline with exagerated rear,flat back and possibly loaded front end.

That was fun

O.K., here's another try based on outline and silhouette only as you can't judge anything else here, can you?

1st: F who presents an elegant and stunning outline with all the right curves in the right places; no lumps, no bumps here! Thank God she has some length of leg, too. She's supposed to be a sighthound!

2nd: A who is also curvy and has good depth of brisket but seems a little less elegant with a heavier head; she could possibly use a little more angulation behind.

3rd: B who possibly could win over A if he had a slightly better rear with a better croup (which seems rather flat); a nice Whippet outline, nonetheless.

4th: D whose overall outline would greatly be improved if there was some more angulation behind (and, again, a better croup set); head seems a bit unfortunate, too with a rather domed skull.

5th: E who is rather long cast for a dog (it is dog, isn't it?) and flat backed, too. He seems to have rather too much of a forechest but I believe he might easily present a much nicer overall picture if he wasn't stretched out so far behind; in real life, he could be quite a nice dog.

6th: C who is all "Italian" in shape and appearance; who really wants that?

Interesting... We all have very different opinions :) .... And this on silhouettes only, how could it be more "static" than that? :D

After that how do you expect all judges to have the same opinions on real dogs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very interesting indeed!

Millie: :thumbsup:

Hey , now come on (w00t) How can I possibly place these dogs , :eek: I dont know who the handlers/ owneres are (w00t) (w00t) :oops: :lol: :lol: ;)

To be honest :- " at first clance I thought some of them were Show Greyhounds :wacko: with the odd IG put in there . :b

Ill have to go back and have a real good look , but you dont get a good idea of size or build from silouetes (sp)

My try at this:

1st - A, feminine & curvy

2nd - B, masculine, well-balanced

3rd - F, stiff pasterns, looks like a young bitch

4th - D, no tuck-up, stiff pasterns, less desirable head, big ears

5th - C, looks light boned

unplaced - E, no tuck-up, weak rear, toeing-out, lacks flowing top-line, back is not level, too heavy front

But this is a silhouettes only exercise :)

If these had been real live dogs I might very well think different, maybe their handler stands them badly, maybe some of them are wonderful movers!

Millie said:
:)   Here is a new challenge for you......... 

This is only for a bit of fun  :- :thumbsup:

bookworm said:
Millie said:
:)   Here is a new challenge for you......... 

This is only for a bit of fun  :- :thumbsup:

OOps!!

1 F Overall balanced elegant individual

2 D

3 C

4 A

5 B

malin said:
:oops: Sorry: would somebody be kind enough to try to say that in other words? I don't understand the term :b . Don't forget I am French, I am blonde, I am a woman... I have all excuses (w00t) :lol: ;) :b

I'm colour blind,

And dont really like solid blacks, has anyone got any brindle siluetes!! (w00t) (w00t) :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back