The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Just An Observation!

:oops: :oops: put a reply on was supposed to be on a different post :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
stormydog said:
RIGHT EVERYONE OUT INTO THE CARPARK NOW !!  I WANT ALL THE LADIES TO GET STRIPPED TO THE WAIST ALREADY TO FIGHT . WHEN I BLOW MY ERMMM WHISTLE I WANT THE NON-PED OWNERS  ON THE RIGHT  AND THE PED OWNERS  ON THE LEFT. THIS HAS TO BE SORTED OUT  TODAY  ONCE AND FOR ALL !!

NO TIT-FLICKING, HAIR-TUGGING , NAIL BREAKING OR SIMILAR.......

3          2            1      PWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  !!!!!!!!!

Tit flicking??????? (w00t)

Is that a 'Ped' thing????????? ;)

Karen-Coral said:
stormydog said:
RIGHT EVERYONE OUT INTO THE CARPARK NOW !!   I WANT ALL THE LADIES TO GET STRIPPED TO THE WAIST ALREADY TO FIGHT . WHEN I BLOW MY ERMMM WHISTLE I WANT THE NON-PED OWNERS  ON THE RIGHT  AND THE PED OWNERS  ON THE LEFT. THIS HAS TO BE SORTED OUT  TODAY  ONCE AND FOR ALL !!

3           2             1      PWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!

Stormy thought of it so Ithought it must be a non ped thing :- " :lol: (w00t)

Vicky said:
Like i've said before, it'd suit me fine if litters/dogs were banned from being advertised on here at all.  Although one thing i do find with non ped owners who choose to part with pups or older dogs is they don't bullshit people and pray on newcomers - they generally go to other racers who know the score.[SIZE=14pt]I still stand by what i said about advertising pups - good well bred pups, bred by a reputable breeder with some success WILL NOT need to advertise pups as they will have people queing at the door on ability only.  Any fool can breed[/SIZE]!!!

How very right you are Vicky

This is not what K9 is for .

How ever, as some one said , that fact that K9 has now grown so large ,means we will apear to have more advertised ,than a couple of years ago ;)

Tit flicking???????

Mine havnt come out of the nest yet , mummy and daddy `tit` are busy feeding babies , so you will have to wait a while :lol:

I don't mind people advertising or showing their available puppies on k9 because I wouldn't have Kane or Spry otherwise and I like the fact that Chris and Corky can see them as they progress and I know that Chris loves to follow spry through her life, I would also like to think that if I ever breed I will be able to follow the progression of my puppies on here :huggles:

What I am curious about though is what do you do if you want to breed a litter for a puppy for yourself and don't don't have a queue of potential buyers because you don't move within the whippet circles how are you supposed to let people know you have puppies available :unsure: it seems every form of advertising is a no no, on K9 ,epupz, loot just about everywhere :unsure:

I'm not saying I think either of the latter two are good because I dont know anything about them but where do people who disagree with these options suggest??? that is a question not a dig :)

Rae said:
I dont go in the non-ped section so I can't comment at all but there do seem to be more whippies 'advertised' now I personally think that one of the reasons for this is that K9 is growing, there are more members, and as it becomes better known there are going to be more dogs posted that are available to good homes.
Before we got Star we waited for 3 months for a  whippet who needed a new home, in the end we gave up and indulged ourselves with a puppy  :wub:   if it were now I'm sure something would have come along in that time.

There are some people who only use this site to advertise litters or unwanted dogs, but even then if it means the dogs get a good home what the hell?

But do they? That's a bit of a sweeping statement Rae. I can think of several who have ended up going back to the breeder or being rehomed.

Karen-Coral said:
stormydog said:
RIGHT EVERYONE OUT INTO THE CARPARK NOW !!   I WANT ALL THE LADIES TO GET STRIPPED TO THE WAIST ALREADY TO FIGHT . WHEN I BLOW MY ERMMM WHISTLE I WANT THE NON-PED OWNERS  ON THE RIGHT  AND THE PED OWNERS  ON THE LEFT. THIS HAS TO BE SORTED OUT  TODAY  ONCE AND FOR ALL !!

3           2             1      PWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!

Well Stormydog is a lurcher owner so I'm guessing no. :lol:

I can't comment about the non peds as I haven't enough time in the day to read all of k9, so I stick to the ped and general forums :thumbsup: ........but I can say that most peddie owners KEEP their peddie pup for LIFE :thumbsup: ...... not many dogs are ever rehomed because they are our pets :) (and I mean not many)......and if they race etc ...its a bonus ...........There have been a few ped owners who really are frowned upon for passing on dogs, or even worse, breeding a litter/litters then passing on a dog that "dosn't make the grade :( :rant: :( ) ......but luckily peddie people know who they are :thumbsup: ...........I guess the peddie lot are trying to be careful, but if you notice the often rehomers/over breeders are only liked by the "newbies" :unsure: ......and the peddie lot don't buy pups from them, .......just a shame that pet owners are easily swayed :( .......Just my opinion though ........Hannah :D

*Lesley* said:
What I am curious about though is what do you do if you want to breed a litter for a puppy for yourself and don't don't have a queue of potential buyers because you don't move within the whippet circles how are you supposed to let people know you have puppies available :unsure: it seems every form of advertising is a no no, on K9 ,epupz, loot just about everywhere  :unsure:
Well for a start off unless you had a mate down the street with a whippet dog then i'd expect you'd find it pretty hard to find a stud if you "don't move within the whippet circles".

Someone would have to give me a VERY good excuse to breed from a bitch just for the sake of keeping one back for themselves if they didn't know of anyone wanting pups. There's enough unwanted dogs as it is without adding to the growing number by breeding a litter of 6 just coz you wanted one. very irresponsible imo

:D I've read the whole thread, because I can't sleep - again. Sad. But here goes ... no-one can be judgemental about why people have to rehome dogs. None of us knows what lies around the corner in Life and circumstances do change. The best the owner can do, is try to ensure that the dogs go to good, loving homes.....

The person who talked about their sport, and having to move dogs on to make room for younger racers has hit the nail on the head for the committed whippet racer. Some people like their hobby so much that the hobby, and not the 'tool' for the hobby is of paramount importance, and so they too, must try to find good homes for the dogs whose racing career is at an end. And why not? People in the show world do much the same thing with their young dogs don't they? The chosen few are 'run-on', and if they don't make the grade, then they (some/most who call themselves 'breeders') sell them to pet homes and begin again. All in the quest for perfection. These dogs have a purpose, and that is to win. This in itself leads to the 'production' of excess stock. You may have the reputation of being a 'good breeder', but how did you get this reputation without breeding your first few litters? At some point you had to begin a breeding programme! Did you have more than enough homes lined up for your pups without the reputation? No? So isn't this where the excess comes from? People who want to embark upon breeding programmes - and then do so, have to find homes for the pups that go unsold. Then when those pups do well, people in 'the know' begin to consider their stock when looking to buy. And how can there be too many whippets when the one constant is people saying I had to wait... months/year/etc. So there can't be that many!!!!

What is worse than breeding without homes lined up is irresponsible breeding without paying attention to soundness and quality...... :- "

I would love to breed in about 2/3 years with Bean....it would be my first litter (bar some kittens my cat had when i was 17) i have only had whippets since may 05 so whould have been a whipet person for about 4yrs or so.....

In no way will i be a repituble breeder in the sense that people will be queuing at my door. or will i know everything there is to know. But i would try and get good homes for for any pups and yes i want to keep one....

I would liase with Beans Breeder and get advice on a stud, and other whippet people on which would be a good match

Where would i look for whippet people who care, well K9

I would be telling people i was breeding with (dog) and letting them know etc

Advertising on any free ad is not allowed/epuz etc....

So whats your advice???

Kim and Tilly said:
I would love to breed in about 2/3 years with Bean....it would be my first litter (bar some kittens my cat had when i was 17) i have only had whippets since may 05 so whould have been a whipet person for about 4yrs or so.....
In no way will i be a repituble breeder in the sense that people will be queuing at my door. or will i know everything there is to know. But i would try and get good homes for for any pups and yes i want to keep one....

I would liase with Beans Breeder and get advice on a stud, and other whippet people on which would be a good match

Where would i look for whippet people who care, well K9

I would be telling people i was breeding with (dog) and letting them know etc

Advertising on any free ad is not allowed/epuz etc....

So whats your advice???

imo advertising is perfectly ok.....you have the brains to decide which people come forward are suitable to buy a dog from you so i wouldnt worry about anyone that says it is wrong....your pups ...your choice imo ...i think what you said sounds very sensible! :thumbsup:

Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
:D I've read the whole thread, because I can't sleep - again.  Sad.  But here goes ... no-one can be judgemental about why people have to rehome dogs.  None of us knows what lies around the corner in Life and circumstances do change.  The best the owner can do, is try to ensure that the dogs go to good, loving homes..... 
The person who talked about their sport, and having to move dogs on to make room for younger racers has hit the nail on the head for the committed whippet racer.  Some people like their hobby so much that the hobby, and not the 'tool' for the hobby is of paramount importance, and so they too, must try to find good homes for the dogs whose racing career is at an end.  And why not?  People in the show world do much the same thing with their young dogs don't they?  The chosen few are 'run-on', and if they don't make the grade, then they (some/most who call themselves 'breeders') sell them to pet homes and begin again.  All in the quest for perfection.  These dogs have a purpose, and that is to win. This in itself leads to the 'production' of excess stock.  You may have the reputation of being a 'good breeder', but how did you get this reputation without breeding your first few litters?  At some point you had to begin a breeding programme!  Did you have more than enough homes lined up for your pups without the reputation?  No?  So isn't this where the excess comes from?  People who want to embark upon breeding programmes - and then do so, have to find homes for the pups that go unsold.  Then when those pups do well, people in 'the know' begin to consider their stock when looking to buy.  And how can there be too many whippets when the one constant is people saying I had to wait... months/year/etc.  So there can't be that many!!!!

What is worse than breeding without homes lined up is irresponsible breeding without paying attention to soundness and quality......  :- "

I quite agree with you , we all have to start somewhere and provided the pups are of quality,well reared,and and go to loving homes I have no problem people breeding a litter because they want one from `said` bitch , Not thats its anything to do with me anyway :wacko:

Its those who breed litter after litter, 3 or more in a year (w00t) who dont breed to improve on the breed or even keep a pup from each litter but just see the £ sign :rant: The latest KC supliment is out again and the litters of the latest quater makes interesting reading I can tell you ;)

As regards stud dogs , there is always somebody out there willing to let them use their dog for an easy buck or two isnt there :angry:

Vicky said:
*Lesley* said:
What I am curious about though is what do you do if you want to breed a litter for a puppy for yourself and don't don't have a queue of potential buyers because you don't move within the whippet circles how are you supposed to let people know you have puppies available :unsure: it seems every form of advertising is a no no, on K9 ,epupz, loot just about everywhere  :unsure:

Well for a start off unless you had a mate down the street with a whippet dog then i'd expect you'd find it pretty hard to find a stud if you "don't move within the whippet circles".

Someone would have to give me a VERY good excuse to breed from a bitch just for the sake of keeping one back for themselves if they didn't know of anyone wanting pups. There's enough unwanted dogs as it is without adding to the growing number by breeding a litter of 6 just coz you wanted one. very irresponsible imo

So basically if I want to breed from one of my girls because I would like to keep their line going, or just because of the fact I would love to have a puppy from a dog which I know to be sound in all ways so chances of producing puppies of the same temperament are increased, which is a VERY good reason IMO whats a better one breeding for money ect , also there would never be any unwanted puppies/ dogs in this house :wub:

I would have to

1.Know lots of whippet people who would hopefully ring me on the off chance and ask when I was having a litter because I am not supposed to advertise the fact and I am not a known breeder :unsure:

2.Make a list of these people a least 10+ incase of a big litter, all checked for suitability to make sure I definitely had homes for them or to compensate for people dropping out :unsure:

3.Buy myself a stud dog as it would be irresponsible of me to ask someone else to use theirs :unsure:

To be honest I am surprised whippets aren’t extinct I might as well go get my girls speyed tomorrow but that’s another thread isn’t it :eek:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back