The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Just An Observation!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Most of you probably know I rehomed my older boy Jasper and he is now Kaz's Casper.

Kaz contacted me by email and not through k9 asking if I knew of any older whippets available. At first I replied that I did not know of any but after 'talking ' to Kaz by email for some time and learning more about Kaz and her family and Gypsy her whippet pup my husband and I offered her Jasper. He was our first whippet and we said we would never part with him but he was not a show dog he was a pet and was often left at home on show days.

I spoke to Kaz about him and arranged to meet so she could see him. Gypsy and Kaz took to him immediately and so he went home with them. I would not have let Kaz take him if I had not been convinced she would look after him the way I would want him to be cared for.

Casper is now one thoroughly spoilt boy who wants for nothing :thumbsup:

We know we made the right decision to let Kaz have him but does this make me a bad person it was not a spur of the moment decision to part with him the above took place over several weeks

One thing was Kaz asked me why I had not posted on here that I was rehoming him my answer was that I had seen people slated on her for rehoming older dogs and this was not going to happen to me. I did what I did to give Casper a life were he was going to be given more than we could give him and because he had so much love to give in return.

I have one other thing to say and that is to Kaz-

:cheers: Thanks for giving the old boy such a loving home I know he's giving you and your family as much love as he gave mine he taught me a lot about whippets and showing and I would never have let him go to anyone I did not think would love him as you do :thumbsup:

Whippets Rule said:
Strike Whippets said:
I can't comment about the non peds as I haven't enough time in the day to read all of k9, so I stick to the ped and general forums  :thumbsup:   ........but I can say that most peddie owners KEEP their peddie pup for LIFE  :thumbsup: ...... not many dogs are ever rehomed because they are our pets  :) (and I mean not many)......and if they race etc ...its a bonus ...........There have been a few ped owners who really are frowned upon for passing on dogs, or even worse, breeding a litter/litters then passing on a dog that "dosn't make the grade  :(   :rant:   :( ) ......but luckily peddie people know who they are  :thumbsup:   ...........I guess the peddie lot are trying to be careful, but if you notice the often rehomers/over breeders are only liked by the "newbies"  :unsure: ......and the peddie lot don't buy pups from them, .......just a shame that pet owners are easily swayed  :(   .......Just my opinion though ........Hannah  :D
I find it really offensive that you imply that "newbies" like the often rehomers/over breeders.

I also find it very offensive that you say "pet owners are easily swayed".

So simply by being a "newbie" and owning (god forbid)pet whippets some how we are less discerning and less intelligent.

Thanks very much for the sweeping judgement.

I have as much judgement,intelligence and ability as any "breeder",i just choose to own pets and not breed them myself.This does not mean i value the pedigree of my dog any less than some one who shows/breeds.

I think that my single biggest gripe about this site is how condescending breeders and showers seem to be towards pet owners and yet without some of us there wouldn't be anywhere for the whippets to go that don't perform or conform exactly.

I found the 'newbie' statement abit offensive too :( im a 'newbie', I have a show whip and a 'pet' whip too, ( but at the end of the day they are both pets and equally loved! :wub: ) and if a happened to buy a dog from an overbreeder/rehomer it may be because of the fact that im a 'newbie' and im totally unaware that the person i buy from is known as a 'overbreeder/rehomer'!!! :p

I have read this thread and come to post a few times but then i havent . I just wanted to say i cant see a problem with people rehoming x show and racing dogs . I only have one aged whippet but i love her to pieces , i got her from outside co-op so she was an impulse thing but not one that ive regretted for one moment . the thing is if she hadnt needed a home i may never have got one , i dont do puppies any more i have one young dog already a labrador so i indulge my training and long walks with her , but when the terrible time comes that chrissy is no longer here i will quite probbaly keep my eyes open for another elderly whippet , as painfull as losing her will be the three years (so far) of pleasure that ive had with her will far outweigh the heartache shes caused and will cause when she goes . I cant really imagine a time with out one little dog following me around and i hope that someone will let me have an old girl to help fill the huge space that i know she will leave.

~whitecross whippets~ said:
it seems to me that even if i started a thread about the weather....the same old few k9ers always end up making the same point about the same thing -_- ... oh well at least they are predictable...but ever so subtle! :thumbsup: however it seems i have found the answer to my original question.....as with most things on k9.....it seems if you have the right friends you can do what you like and if you havent .....well...... i think its obvious :thumbsup:

Your reply is exactly why I haven't replied to your question Kaz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rae said:
BeeJay said:
Rae said:
There are some people who only use this site to advertise litters or unwanted dogs, but even then if it means the dogs get a good home what the hell?

But do they? That's a bit of a sweeping statement Rae. I can think of several who have ended up going back to the breeder or being rehomed.

I didnt mean that using K9 guaranteed a good home, but that if a good home could be found by using K9, then that's OK with me, as long as it means the best for the dog. That's not to say that I agree with irresponsible breeding and rehoming obviously.

I know Rae. :thumbsup:

BeeJay said:
Rae said:
BeeJay said:
Rae said:
There are some people who only use this site to advertise litters or unwanted dogs, but even then if it means the dogs get a good home what the hell?

But do they? That's a bit of a sweeping statement Rae. I can think of several who have ended up going back to the breeder or being rehomed.

I didnt mean that using K9 guaranteed a good home, but that if a good home could be found by using K9, then that's OK with me, as long as it means the best for the dog. That's not to say that I agree with irresponsible breeding and rehoming obviously.

I know Rae. :thumbsup:

At the end of the day. What matters is that the dog is going to a good loving knowledgable home where it will be cared for correctly and given as much love as possible. Just because a dog has to be rehomed does not make the person rehoming the dog bad far from it. At least they are actually trying to find a loving home for the dog rather than beating it to death or leaving it on the street to fend for itself. The previous owners circumstances may have changed for one reason or another. They could be going through a lot and yet they take time out to find a loving home for their dog. The unexpected happens all the time and we cant all predict the future.

Just another thought I figured Id add.

~whitecross whippets~ said:
this really is a genuine question and not designed to annoy or offend anyone...there always seems to be many non ped whippet pups available...plus many unwanted non ped whippet adults?

many people on k9 jump up and down if anyone dares to rehome a pedigree whippet regardless of their circumstances and trashes many pedigree whippet breeders for one reason or another....so why the double standards? :wacko:   :thumbsup:

The answer seems obvious to me. People are only going to comment on the world they know, using as their standard whatever is the norm for that world. Most ped racers don't really know about non-ped racing and so wouldn't comment on it.

:oops: I apologise for the sweeping "newbie" statement :b ........I just guessed we were all "newbies" once .......and I personally thought ALL Whippets ran at the same speed, until I raced my show/coursing bred with the peddie racers (w00t) .........I opted for racing breds after this :D .......I think as Judy said .........People are only going to comment on the world they know, using as their standard whatever is the norm for that world. Most ped racers don't really know about non-ped racing and so wouldn't comment on it.

I have read some interesting comments on this thread.

I don't normally get involved with the bull S**t on most of the threads as they often really aren't worth a comment. But this has got under my skin and I feel that way out 2night.

As for letting people know you have a litter of pups on K9,

The people that are saying it shouldn't happen are the same ones wanting to see pictures. If someone is looking to buy a puppy you would look on a web site such as this i would think.

Rehoming older Whippets,

The problem is people give dogs the same emotions as humans, I have no problem rehomeing an older dog, for the reasons I feel is right for that dog, the dog will be happy in a pet home getting the one to one attention and within a few weeks find it hard to give you a second glance. providing the right home is found!

As for breeders show/work or race, if we didn't put the effort, time and money into breeding to improve our interest in the breed where the hell do you think your current whippet whould have come from?

*Mark* said:
I have read some interesting comments on this thread.I don't normally get involved with the bull S**t on most of the threads as they often really aren't worth a comment. But this has got under my skin and I feel that way out 2night.

As for letting people know you have a litter of pups on K9,

The people that are saying it shouldn't happen are the same ones wanting to see pictures. If someone is looking to buy a puppy you would look on a web site such as this i would think.

Rehoming older Whippets,

The problem is people give dogs the same emotions as humans, I have no problem rehomeing an older dog, for the reasons I feel is right for that dog, the dog will be happy in a pet home getting the one to one attention and within a few weeks find it hard to give you a second glance. providing the right home is found!

As for breeders show/work or race, if we didn't put the effort, time and money into breeding to improve our interest in the breed where the hell do you think your current whippet whould have come from?

Well said Mark :thumbsup:

>As for letting people know you have a litter of pups on K9,

The people that are saying it shouldn't happen are the same ones wanting to see pictures.

Well of course people might only be being polite or kind. :- "

Rehoming older Whippets,

Really ?? .......All the puppies I've bred still love me :eek: ......I hate human emotions being put on dogs, but as a person who has studied dogs over 20 years, I know that bonding and RESPONABILITY is a fare issue :thumbsup: ......I'd much rather work out training wise what 1 of my dogs needed, than pass it on :thumbsup:

Improvement being the oprative word :) ....Theres a load of people out there who just "breed" .......but as we know there are good breeders, then there are the bad 'uns :(

BeeJay said:
>As for letting people know you have a litter of pups on K9,The people that are saying it shouldn't happen are the same ones wanting to see pictures.

Noone has to be polite or kind about my dogs if I want someones opinion I will enter under them for that, if I feel its an opinion I want.

*Mark* said:
BeeJay said:
>As for letting people know you have a litter of pups on K9,The people that are saying it shouldn't happen are the same ones wanting to see pictures.

Noone has to be polite or kind about my dogs if I want someones opinion I will enter under them for that, if I feel its an opinion I want.

Phew , thats a relief :oops: :huggles: :clown: :cheers:

JAX said:
*Mark* said:
BeeJay said:

Phew , thats a relief :oops: :huggles: :clown: :cheers:

you didn't highlight the latter part of the sentence, if I feel its an opinion I want. :thumbsup: :clown: :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back