The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Just An Observation!

Discussion in 'Hound' started by ~whitecross whippets~, May 25, 2006.

1. oakmoorehill

oakmoorehill New Member Registered

Most of you probably know I rehomed my older boy Jasper and he is now Kaz's Casper.

Kaz contacted me by email and not through k9 asking if I knew of any older whippets available. At first I replied that I did not know of any but after 'talking ' to Kaz by email for some time and learning more about Kaz and her family and Gypsy her whippet pup my husband and I offered her Jasper. He was our first whippet and we said we would never part with him but he was not a show dog he was a pet and was often left at home on show days.

I spoke to Kaz about him and arranged to meet so she could see him. Gypsy and Kaz took to him immediately and so he went home with them. I would not have let Kaz take him if I had not been convinced she would look after him the way I would want him to be cared for.

Casper is now one thoroughly spoilt boy who wants for nothing :thumbsup:

We know we made the right decision to let Kaz have him but does this make me a bad person it was not a spur of the moment decision to part with him the above took place over several weeks

One thing was Kaz asked me why I had not posted on here that I was rehoming him my answer was that I had seen people slated on her for rehoming older dogs and this was not going to happen to me. I did what I did to give Casper a life were he was going to be given more than we could give him and because he had so much love to give in return.

I have one other thing to say and that is to Kaz-

:cheers: Thanks for giving the old boy such a loving home I know he's giving you and your family as much love as he gave mine he taught me a lot about whippets and showing and I would never have let him go to anyone I did not think would love him as you do :thumbsup:

2. whippynit

whippynit New Member Registered

I found the 'newbie' statement abit offensive too :( im a 'newbie', I have a show whip and a 'pet' whip too, ( but at the end of the day they are both pets and equally loved! :wub: ) and if a happened to buy a dog from an overbreeder/rehomer it may be because of the fact that im a 'newbie' and im totally unaware that the person i buy from is known as a 'overbreeder/rehomer'!!! :p

3. natty

natty New Member Registered

I have read this thread and come to post a few times but then i havent . I just wanted to say i cant see a problem with people rehoming x show and racing dogs . I only have one aged whippet but i love her to pieces , i got her from outside co-op so she was an impulse thing but not one that ive regretted for one moment . the thing is if she hadnt needed a home i may never have got one , i dont do puppies any more i have one young dog already a labrador so i indulge my training and long walks with her , but when the terrible time comes that chrissy is no longer here i will quite probbaly keep my eyes open for another elderly whippet , as painfull as losing her will be the three years (so far) of pleasure that ive had with her will far outweigh the heartache shes caused and will cause when she goes . I cant really imagine a time with out one little dog following me around and i hope that someone will let me have an old girl to help fill the huge space that i know she will leave.

4. BeeJay

BeeJay New Member Registered

Your reply is exactly why I haven't replied to your question Kaz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2006
  5. BeeJay

I know Rae. :thumbsup:

6. BeeJay

Consider yourself considered Leslie. :thumbsup: :lol:

7. Lynn-Alexandria

Lynn-Alexandria Grand Master Undead Fighter Registered

At the end of the day. What matters is that the dog is going to a good loving knowledgable home where it will be cared for correctly and given as much love as possible. Just because a dog has to be rehomed does not make the person rehoming the dog bad far from it. At least they are actually trying to find a loving home for the dog rather than beating it to death or leaving it on the street to fend for itself. The previous owners circumstances may have changed for one reason or another. They could be going through a lot and yet they take time out to find a loving home for their dog. The unexpected happens all the time and we cant all predict the future.

Just another thought I figured Id add.

8. *Lesley*

*Lesley* Grand Master...Fluffy & nice Registered

I'm going to get a complex you know :shifty: 8) :teehee: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2006
  9. Judy

Judy New Member Registered

The answer seems obvious to me. People are only going to comment on the world they know, using as their standard whatever is the norm for that world. Most ped racers don't really know about non-ped racing and so wouldn't comment on it.

10. Karen-Coral

Karen-Coral New Member Registered

Thank you so much for that thread/video :D

Whatever else that may be said about K9-You can't deny its EDUCATIONAL! lol

Karen

11. Strike Whippets

Strike Whippets New Member Registered

:oops: I apologise for the sweeping "newbie" statement :b ........I just guessed we were all "newbies" once .......and I personally thought ALL Whippets ran at the same speed, until I raced my show/coursing bred with the peddie racers (w00t) .........I opted for racing breds after this :D .......I think as Judy said .........People are only going to comment on the world they know, using as their standard whatever is the norm for that world. Most ped racers don't really know about non-ped racing and so wouldn't comment on it.

12. kris

kris Active Member Registered

its a sign of my daughters misspent youth karen, in that she actually knows what tit flicking is! :- " :lol:

13. *Mark*

*Mark* New Member Registered

I have read some interesting comments on this thread.

I don't normally get involved with the bull S**t on most of the threads as they often really aren't worth a comment. But this has got under my skin and I feel that way out 2night.

As for letting people know you have a litter of pups on K9,

The people that are saying it shouldn't happen are the same ones wanting to see pictures. If someone is looking to buy a puppy you would look on a web site such as this i would think.

Rehoming older Whippets,

The problem is people give dogs the same emotions as humans, I have no problem rehomeing an older dog, for the reasons I feel is right for that dog, the dog will be happy in a pet home getting the one to one attention and within a few weeks find it hard to give you a second glance. providing the right home is found!

As for breeders show/work or race, if we didn't put the effort, time and money into breeding to improve our interest in the breed where the hell do you think your current whippet whould have come from?

14. Millie

Millie New Member Registered

Well said Mark :thumbsup:

15. BeeJay

Oh yes especially if it's summat you rather not know about. :oops: :teehee:

16. BeeJay

>As for letting people know you have a litter of pups on K9,

The people that are saying it shouldn't happen are the same ones wanting to see pictures.

Well of course people might only be being polite or kind. :- "

17. Strike Whippets

Strike Whippets New Member Registered

Rehoming older Whippets,

The problem is people give dogs the same emotions as humans, I have no problem rehomeing an older dog, for the reasons I feel is right for that dog, the dog will be happy in a pet home getting the one to one attention and within a few weeks find it hard to give you a second glance. providing the right home is found!

Really ?? .......All the puppies I've bred still love me :eek: ......I hate human emotions being put on dogs, but as a person who has studied dogs over 20 years, I know that bonding and RESPONABILITY is a fare issue :thumbsup: ......I'd much rather work out training wise what 1 of my dogs needed, than pass it on :thumbsup:

As for breeders show/work or race, if we didn't put the effort, time and money into breeding to improve our interest in the breed where the hell do you think your current whippet whould have come from?

Improvement being the oprative word :) ....Theres a load of people out there who just "breed" .......but as we know there are good breeders, then there are the bad 'uns :(

18. *Mark*

Noone has to be polite or kind about my dogs if I want someones opinion I will enter under them for that, if I feel its an opinion I want.

19. JAX

JAX New Member Registered

Phew , thats a relief :oops: :huggles: :clown: :cheers:

20. *Mark*

you didn't highlight the latter part of the sentence, if I feel its an opinion I want. :thumbsup: :clown: :cheers: