The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

K9 Hacked

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
If anybody has problems with Viruses/Trojans etc. in their p.c. log onto Bleepingcomputers.com there are P.C. Security Tutorials there that will give you free on line help. I have found them more than helpful when I have a problem. :)

Hello boys and girls, was hoping to hide behind the curtains for a bit longer than this, but…. I joined K9 on Tuesday and got the virus on Wednesday! I was stupid enough to open the e-mail believing I knew where it came from despite the warning messages saying we’re not sure about this. I stupidly thought it was maybe part of the joining process- like the one bounced back to me to confirm my e-mail address before I could join - thank god I roped my husband in on the decision to open it, so I don’t have to feel totally responsible for the mess. We had a guy come and look at the computer on Thursday – he was here for 2 hours- and I wanted to let you all know what he said in case it could help any of you,

It seems that as I was using a hotmail address that that may have helped the virus do more damage than if I’d been using outlook express. The virus switched off the Norton anti-virus firewall and disabled the auto protect function and wouldn’t let it be re-instated .It also installed it’s own installer so that even if you think you’ve deleted it each time you switch on your computer it re-installs it’s self, there is some information on websites from Google searches which might be handy to have a look at if anyone is stuck. The chap who fixed our computer said it is a particularly nasty and persistent virus.

My OH has just read this post and has this to say...

The guy who came to sort out your pc misinformed you. What you had was a Trojan Horse. It's a program that closes files and opens its own to enable hackers to download more rubbish onto your system. It does close firewalls and virus killers sometimes detect them but cannot delete them. A virus just causes your software problems and can be removed. What you need is a good anti-spyware program.

I use NTL Netguard for viruses. Microsoft's Windows Defender, spy-bot and Ad-Aware for the Trojan's.

I suggest you install these and make sure that you keep your software regulary updated.

hellybobs said:
My OH has just read this post and has this to say...
The guy who came to sort out your pc misinformed you.  What you had was a Trojan Horse.  It's a program that closes files and opens its own to enable hackers to download more rubbish onto your system.  It does close firewalls and virus killers sometimes detect them but cannot delete them.  A virus just causes your software problems and can be removed.  What you need is a good anti-spyware program. 

I use  NTL Netguard for viruses.  Microsoft's Windows Defender, spy-bot and Ad-Aware for the Trojan's.

I suggest you install these and make sure that you keep your software regulary updated.

IVE JUST DOWNLOADED A SPYWARE PROGRAM AND RUN IT THRIUGH MY COMP,IT PICKED UP 13 WHATEVER THERE CALLED,WHICH AVG DIDNT PICK UP.

Eloise Spinrad said:
Hello boys and girls, was hoping to hide behind the curtains for a bit longer than this, but…. I joined K9 on Tuesday and got the virus on Wednesday! I was stupid enough to open the e-mail believing I knew where it came from despite the warning messages saying we’re not sure about this. I stupidly thought it was maybe part of the joining process- like the one bounced back to me to confirm my e-mail address before I could join - thank god I roped my husband in on the decision to open it, so I don’t have to feel totally responsible for the mess. We had a guy come and look at the computer on Thursday – he was here for 2 hours- and I wanted to let you all know what he said in case it could help any of you,It seems that as I was using a hotmail address that that may have helped the virus do more damage than if I’d been using outlook express. The virus switched off the Norton anti-virus firewall and disabled the auto protect function and wouldn’t let it be re-instated .It also installed it’s own installer so that even if you think you’ve deleted it each time you switch on your computer it re-installs it’s self, there is some information on websites from Google searches which might be handy to have a look at if anyone is stuck. The chap who fixed our computer said it is a particularly nasty and persistent virus.

From pc world was he :- "

Better than I was Keith...did go back to the Dr's tho...You ok?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back