The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

K9 Hacked

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
midlanderkeith said:
melanie said:
midlanderkeith said:
melanie said:
midlanderkeith said:
melanie said:
as far as i know iv not been affected at all. how do you know you'v got a virus? do i need to do a scan for one, iv know idea about these thing and my OH is just as bad :wacko:
Melanie, when did u last update and run your anti virus prog, have u got virus protection

keith

yes keith my OH said we had virus protection which he got from aol, im not sure now if thats enough? i really dont know anything about it :(

Ok mel have u a firewall, if you arent sure, click start, run, type in MSCONFIG, click ok, then the services tag, have a look see if the windows firewall is ticked and running, i dont rely on the windows one myself, but its better than nowt

thats for starters

keith

thanks for that keith :thumbsup: had a look and yes its ticked and running, what other virus protection can i get?

Ok Mel, as i say im not much for the windows firewall but forget that fer now, you need to download then update, AVG, THE FREE EDITION, when u get time go do it one thing at once ok, dont worry if when u use avg it finds any nasties, it tells you how to handle em

keith

Forgot to add, when u download it, save it to your desktop

keith

Thankfully I logged in at work so work's comp got the virus :- " But it's been cleaned now so all OK..... :b

melanie said:
as far as i know iv not been affected at all. how do you know you'v got a virus? do i need to do a scan for one, iv know idea about these thing and my OH is just as bad :wacko:
You will only have picked it up if you visited K9 yesterday 17 May between about 3 and 5 pm local time (14.00-16.00 GMT) or you clicked on the .exe file link from a site called traffweb in an email you might have received with the Subject line: From k9community.co.uk. Try our new service! In either case if you were running upto date AV software you should have been safe.

THANKS NIGEL EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE NOW

I GOT 5 TROJANS HORSE

NO OK FINGERS CROSSED

RODERS YOU WERE LUCKY

think ive bagged all my 5 trojan horses now too. another fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
thought i didnt get the dodgy email, but i did....luckily for me, it got put into the spam folder and not the in tray (w00t) i've just found it now while managing my emails.....so bye bye nasty little virus :cheers:

boom said:
i must be the only person on ere not to be effected  :p
for every1 using avg you need to get a better antivirus cos

its not as good as it made out to be..

altho it says your computer is clean ther will be certain files it not delete

and ther the files that need removing

i would recomend (bitdefender 9 pro)

its got antispam firewall and anti virus in one

i never had any problems with this program

:thumbsup:

Uhm...the amazing Mcafee and norton missed out a virus that was on my comp. The virus caused me not to be able to get on K9 at all. Then when I downloaded AVG it picked it up right away and the problem was solved.

mazza said:
I tried to log on at about 4 this afternoon and up popped that really scarey figure from AVG telling me I've got a virus in the works.Done a complete system check and the infection I got is now quarantined although it appears I cannot quarantine or heal all these malicious files but I'm hoping no further damage can be done. I haven't had many viruses infect my pc but when the AVG program tells you cannot move them to the virus vault, (omg, a virus which avg is telling me I have but cannot quarantine) it makes me feel a bit worried about how powerful these trogans are and are they removed or rendered harmless before damaging other files. AVG is very good at detecting bugs but what's more important is actually getting rid of the damn things.

The files were java veri bytes something or other in the temp internet folders.

It makes me so angry that some people enjoy wreaking havoc on innnocent web users. :rant:

Did anybody else get a shock this afternoon.

I had exactly the same as you, at about 3.30pm on Thursday while on K9. I've got AVG, and 4 unhealable trojan horses are embedded in my PC. Just waiting for someone to help me fix it :( any ideas how I can delete a virus embedded in my temproary internet files? (Can you just delete the files, or this there something more complicated you have to do to erase them?)

Luckily my laptop is a Mac which is usually safe from viruses, so I've been able to salvage work and carry on pretty much as normal. I really don't like PCs - they seem so vulnerable!!

~Helen~ said:
mazza said:
I tried to log on at about 4 this afternoon and up popped that really scarey figure from AVG telling me I've got a virus in the works.Done a complete system check and the infection I got is now quarantined although it appears I cannot quarantine or heal all these malicious files but I'm hoping no further damage can be done. I haven't had many viruses infect my pc but when the AVG program tells you cannot move them to the virus vault, (omg, a virus which avg is telling me I have but cannot quarantine) it makes me feel a bit worried about how powerful these trogans are and are they removed or rendered harmless before damaging other files. AVG is very good at detecting bugs but what's more important is actually getting rid of the damn things.

It makes me so angry that some people enjoy wreaking havoc on innnocent web users. :rant:

I had exactly the same as you, at about 3.30pm on Thursday while on K9. I've got AVG, and 4 unhealable trojan horses are embedded in my PC. Just waiting for someone to help me fix it :( any ideas how I can delete a virus embedded in my temproary internet files? (Can you just delete the files, or this there something more complicated you have to do to erase them?)

Luckily my laptop is a Mac which is usually safe from viruses, so I've been able to salvage work and carry on pretty much as normal. I really don't like PCs - they seem so vulnerable!!

These trogans are embedded and can't be moved as you say, and this is worrying.

I don't know how to get rid of them either, if you find out please let me know.

I am unsure if my PC is clean, these trogans don't seem to be doing any damage at the moment, computer is running fine but I'm a bit worried as they are lurking in the computer and believe that sometimes they are not activated until a certain date or until specific files are opened.

Help!!!

Mandy - when you run the antivirus - it usually asks you if you want to Delete or quarantine the items - I usually quarantine then delete them from the file completly - I am hoping this is enough.

I know there is a Microsoft site you can go on and type the name of the Trojan - and it will explain how to go about cleaning it or deleting it from the PC. :thumbsup: I am sure Mcafee lets you right click on the Tojans name to find more information online.

After clicking on Manage Quarantined files - Mine said infected by Exploit -onload Trojan.

~Helen~ said:
mazza said:

Nothing is unhealable if you have the right progs to do so, so go download this

ASQUARED, then update it, it may prompt u to do so, i cant remember, removes, malware infections, malware files, viruses, worms, trojans

keith :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
~Helen~ said:
mazza said:

ASQUARED, then update it, it may prompt u to do so, i cant remember, removes, malware infections, malware files, viruses, worms, trojans

sorry once again i forgot to add, once u have asquared installed, boot up in safe mode, system restore turned off, not forgetting once u return to windows turn it back on

keith

~Helen~ said:
Your AV software has probably just moved the trojan files into a quarantine area - you can just delete them from there. You might like to clear your temporary Internet files/cache - for IE Tools/Options/Temporary Internet files/delete for Firefox Tools/Options/Privacy/Cache/Clean cache now

Thanks everyone, especially Nigel. Just off to delete my temp internet files/cache.

Re, the quarantine issue, others might want to check because I also had that and duly deleted my quarantined files, but when I looked through the file called Test Results, that was when I saw that the trojan was still there, labelled unhealable, in my temporary internet folders. Might be worth double checking to make sure that it's REALLY gone :cheers: and not just gone from quarantine/virus vault :thumbsup:

As if we haven't all got better things to do :angry:

edited to say that i am a computer dummy, so sorry if i'm talking rubbish and that gone from quarantine means really gone anyway :b

LasVegasNo1 said:
Thankfully I logged in at work so work's comp got the virus :- " But it's been cleaned now so all OK..... :b
Same here :- " :b :wacko:

Luckily my IT Helpdesk already know that I am the bane of their lives (w00t)

out of interest - how often do other people empty their temporary internet files folders/cache, should you do like a weekly clean-up? :b I've never done it before :eek:

~Helen~ said:
out of interest - how often do other people empty their temporary internet files folders/cache, should you do like a weekly clean-up? :b I've never done it before :eek:
Why not do it after every session Helen, its seconds of a job.

keith

midlanderkeith said:
midlanderkeith said:
~Helen~ said:
mazza said:

sorry once again i forgot to add, once u have asquared installed, boot up in safe mode, system restore turned off, not forgetting once u return to windows turn it back on

keith

Thanks keith, I'll have a look at that.

have never rebooted in safe mode whenever I've downloaded anything, is it essential to do this - Is it in case of conflicting with other anti virus programs? Is it ok to have 2 on the pc or should I close avg?

I've got AVG and also adaware on my machine which i run everyday to get rid of spyware.

Sorry, soooo many questions.

mazza said:
midlanderkeith said:
midlanderkeith said:
~Helen~ said:
mazza said:

keith

Thanks keith, I'll have a look at that.

have never rebooted in safe mode whenever I've downloaded anything, is it essential to do this - Is it in case of conflicting with other anti virus programs? Is it ok to have 2 on the pc or should I close avg?

I've got AVG and also adaware on my machine which i run everyday to get rid of spyware.

Sorry, soooo many questions.

No bother question away if i can help i will, now then safe mode, the only time at the moment u need safe mode is, when u are scanning your pc fer nasties, with system restore turned off, as for anti virus, the one is suffice backed up with other programmes which i have mentioned, looks a bit daunting doesnt it, but one thing at once, by the way i assume u have a firewall, i could go on and on here but i dont want to confuse you, if you need any help at all my pm box is open to you

keith

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back