The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurecoursing Meet Taunton 18th October

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
UPDATE ON ENTRIESAS OF NOW 2130 24/9 THE NOVICE STAKE IS FULL

THERE ARE THREE SPACES IN THE MAIN STAKE , FOUR SPACES IN THE VET STAKE AND THREE SPACES IN THE LURCHER STAKE . ANYONE WISHING TO PUT THEIRSELVES DOWN AS A RESERVE FOR THE NOVICE STAKE PLEASE CONTACT ME.

MANY THANKS LAURIE
FORGOT TO SAY COULD ALL CHEQUES NOT ALREADY SENT BE MADE PAYABLE TO THE WEST SOMERSET PWRC

THANKS LAURIE

ENTRIES SO FAR.

NOVICE STAKE

CHASING CURLEW

KELLYVALE SUNFLOWER

STARSTRIKE HELLRAISER

WIXENFORD WINTERS WISH

MY LITTLE RIO

HANNAH'S RUBY

HANNAH'S DOT

PAT QUANTS MONTY

STAKE FULL

MAIN STAKE

CARBOZIER IRONIC

BUEBEZI FRENCH CONNECTION TO ALACRITY

MALLYFIELD WILD KNIGHT WITH ALACRITY

WINTERFELL TINKERBELLE

WINTERFELL LADY GREY

WINTERFELL PRINCESS

WINTERFELL SPRITE

MALLYFIELD SILVER KNIGHT

BLACKVELVET KNIGHT

SHANDRIL MOONCHILD AT HARERUNNER

HARERUNNER HILLSPRINTER

BIG BRUVVA STRYKES

SCARLETFAIR STARRY KNIGHT

3 SPACES

VET STAKE

SHYBONT SILVER SPRING

ARJUNA JOE BLOGGS

HANNAH'S MIYA

HANNAH'S JACOB

4 SPACES

LURCHER STAKE

POACHER

CHASE

MIDNIGHT FLIGHT

SHAKIRA

MIDLAND JAKE

3 SPACES

Can I reserve another place in the lurcher stake, please, Laurie?

It's for my friend's dog (first timer :)) - not sure of the dog's name as she hasn't had her long but my friend's name is Diane Wilson. I'll find out the dog's name and let you know later.

I'll sort out the entry fee for her :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Can I reserve another place in the lurcher stake, please, Laurie?It's for my friend's dog (first timer :)) - not sure of the dog's name as she hasn't had her long but my friend's name is Diane Wilson. I'll find out the dog's name and let you know later.

Thanks.

The dog's name is Thelma :thumbsup:

Can I reserve another place in the lurcher stake, please, Laurie?It's for my friend's dog (first timer :)) - not sure of the dog's name as she hasn't had her long but my friend's name is Diane Wilson. I'll find out the dog's name and let you know later.

Thanks.

The dog's name is Thelma :thumbsup:
Jane just sent you a pm, unfortunately the lurcher stake is full

UPDATE ON ENTRIES

8 DOG NOVICE STAKE DUE TO A MISSED EMAIL THIS STAKE IS OVERBOOKED AND WILL BE INCREASED TO A

TWELVE DOG STAKE

MAIN STAKE FULL

VET STAKE FOUR VACANCIES

LURCHER STAKE FULL

I WILL POST A FULL LIST OF RUNNERS TOWARDS THE END OF THE WEEK

can u please clarify what you mean by muzzles optional???
If a owner is uncertain of their dogs reaction at the end of the course then for their own peace of mind and possible protection of the other dog they should muzzle . I have been to many lurecoursing meetings and it is the exception rather than the norm for the dogs to be muzzled and i can honestly say that although there may be a bit of growling etc i have never seen any damage done by biting . You know your own dogs and should act accordingly.
it takes seconds to put a muzzle on and forever to heal a shouder tear when they go at the lure and miss how do you obtain insurance running racing like that a disclaimer will not protect your club if you are not using muzzles pmsl!

If a owner is uncertain of their dogs reaction at the end of the course then for their own peace of mind and possible protection of the other dog they should muzzle . I have been to many lurecoursing meetings and it is the exception rather than the norm for the dogs to be muzzled and i can honestly say that although there may be a bit of growling etc i have never seen any damage done by biting . You know your own dogs and should act accordingly.
it takes seconds to put a muzzle on and forever to heal a shouder tear when they go at the lure and miss how do you obtain insurance running racing like that a disclaimer will not protect your club if you are not using muzzles pmsl!
A very valid point :thumbsup:

Far be it from me to comment as to the rules for this event, as I'm not part of this organisation, but as someone who has competed in a few lure coursing stakes and competitions at different clubs, and also raced, I'd just say that although I hear where you are coming from Tiggergould, I can honestly say I've only ever seen one injury at a lure coursing meeting 'on' the lure at the end, and that was one puncture wound to a foot.

Whippets are generally focused on the lure and that's it. Lure coursing only involves two running at a time, and so isn't the pandemonium that a finish in a 'race' can be.

I have, however, watched lurchers in lure coursing stakes complete with muzzles turning their heads and trying to bite through muzzles all round the course and that scares the life out of me! I know all lurchers are not the same, as all whippets are not the same but we all know our dogs and how they run.

I know that I can trust my dogs implicitly as they have run and run and run and never so much looked at another dog, either as they are running, or going in on the lure, whether they get there first or second. They wouldn't have go at another dog if it tried to take a rabbit from them, so they're not going to argue over a piece of plastic.

If people are running their dogs for the first time, then yes, I'd suggest a muzzle if they are unsure, or if people know their dog can be a bit 'narky' over the lure, but on the whole most dogs running at these events are known to us all and we see many of them running at different events.

I've no issue with running mine in a muzzle, they are used to it from racing. This club run without muzzles and that suits me too, as I'd trust people attending to think of more than themselves. That and I'd much rather see them running in all their glory than covered in bits of wire lol!

Anyway, just my two penneth's worth :)

TCx

Last edited by a moderator:
only 20 days of the great muzzle debate left to go, bit worried if dogs wearing a muzzle running very fast could it emit a whistling sound and then maybe damage other dogs hearing, or maybe worse still it might think it's owner was whistling and then run back to said owner, therefore it could be argued muzzles give an unfair advantage (just a thought)

only 20 days of the great muzzle debate left to go, bit worried if dogs wearing a muzzle running very fast could it emit a whistling sound and then maybe damage other dogs hearing, or maybe worse still it might think it's owner was whistling and then run back to said owner, therefore it could be argued muzzles give an unfair advantage (just a thought)
plonker!!!...you may not take this very seriously but untill you witness a dog fight over the lure or heaven forbid you get bitten yourself which i have had both then you may realise that this is a very serious matter...i also own terriers and they have been attacked more times than i can mention at the lure, yet people still run shows with unmuzzled terriers so now we do not participate....in my opinion ALL dogs can turn if they please to get to the lure..its only natural so why not just muzzle at all times to prevent...afterall prevention is better than cure!!!...and if a muzzle is the correct size and fit for your dog then it will not hold them back in any way!!!

Oooh I never thought of that (w00t) :wacko: 8)

Look forward to seeing you in 20 days :D

Tx

plonker!!!...you may not take this very seriously but untill you witness a dog fight over the lure or heaven forbid you get bitten yourself which i have had both then you may realise that this is a very serious matter...i also own terriers and they have been attacked more times than i can mention at the lure, yet people still run shows with unmuzzled terriers so now we do not participate....in my opinion ALL dogs can turn if they please to get to the lure..its only natural so why not just muzzle at all times to prevent...afterall prevention is better than cure!!!...and if a muzzle is the correct size and fit for your dog then it will not hold them back in any way!!!
Blimey :blink: I think it was just a light hearted comment. That's certainly how I took it.

Terriers are a WHOLE different ball game, and that's not what this debate is about, is it?

TCx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm intrigued by this debate ... like TC I have lurecoursed whippets (although am far less experienced than her) and have never seen need of a muzzle ... is this a whippet versus lurcher/terrier thing, a racing versus coursing thing, or both ... has anyone witnessed two whippets fight for the lure after a course ??

Never seen the frenzy on the lure at a coursing event that we see at racing

When we run events we always say that muzzles are optional and we have never had a problem.

Generally we know which dogs can be a little noughty and insist on muzzles before start as the slipper will DQ any dogs that snange at the slips

I can see what you are saying Tigergould but this is how it is run and we never see any problems

We have been going too and organising lure events over the last 2 years and trust is very important between the owners

We know all the dogs running and know their background so I suppose we will continue as we have as the coursing community is quite small really

Its is generally the same dogs that run in different combinations each time

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT TIME HOPEFULLY WE WILL GET DOWN AGAIN NEXT YEAR LOL

SHONA XX

just checked in oxford dictionary as to what optional means (quote) possible but not compulsory; open to choice. hope this clears this up for everyone even plonkers like me

just checked in oxford dictionary as to what optional means (quote) possible but not compulsory; open to choice. hope this clears this up for everyone even plonkers like me
thankyou...[plonker]..lol...no offence intended...just needed to say what i needed to say...pmsl...ive had a glass of wine since then and now dont actually give a toddle...happy racing.. :clown:

Last time we ran at bsfa we didnt have to wear muzzles if my memory serves me right.

If anyone is in slips with an unmuzzled dog and would prefer it to be muzzled they can say so, before the dogs are slipped. As with all events like this, muzzles are the tip of the iceberg, there could be a slight dip in the ground, the ground could be hard, another dog could get loose, the lure could snap, a dog could loose footing and fall/roll etc -dogs run at the owners risk and I think everyone is aware of that. We cant guarantee that everyones dog will be injury free for many reasons.

UPDATE ON ENTRIES 8 DOG NOVICE STAKE DUE TO A MISSED EMAIL THIS STAKE IS OVERBOOKED AND WILL BE INCREASED TO A

TWELVE DOG STAKE

MAIN STAKE FULL

VET STAKE FOUR VACANCIES

LURCHER STAKE FULL

I WILL POST A FULL LIST OF RUNNERS TOWARDS THE END OF THE WEEK

Hi

I have sent you PM re possible reserve for Lurcher stake, could you please confirm if this is possible, or if there was more Lurcher interest would you increase the card especially as 4 of the dogs running belong to the same owner ??. Many Thanks

We,re not racing , we're lurecoursing something i get the feeling that you know little about since you keep referring to it as racing, they're not driving into the lure at the end of a 500+ metre course with same intensity that occurrs over 150 yards and there's only two dogs involved with one often clear of the other.

Its a given that all dogs run at their owners risk however i will admit to omitting that from the announcement on this forum it is however always printed on the programme issued on the day.

Terriers are a whole diffirent bag.

You have seen the comments from a number of experienced lurecoursing folk all singing off the same hymnsheet.

Not too sure what your agenda is anyway - you've shown no interest in the event just tried to stir the sh*t.

The person you called a plonker has forgotten more about whippets/coursing than you'll ever know.

See a doctor about your bladder problem .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back