The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Microchipping

andrea31

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm seriously thinking of getting Tascha microchipped on Wednesday, as I saw an advert at the vets when I had the kitten there this week to be spayed, and it said that the local dogs wardens, police and dogs trust were doing a microchipping day, that would only cost £9.50. (if you're on benefits, it's totally free).

What are your thoughts on microchipping? If you're against microchipping, what method of security do you use?

I'm so worried that Tascha will escape and someone will pick her up, and won't know where to bring her home too. The only time she doesn't come back when called, is when she gets out of the garden at home.

All replies greatly appreciated.

All my dogs are chipped. If they go missing and get picked up, it doesnt cost anything to get them back. Minor mishaps do happen and some dogs will go exploring if given the chance.

All mine are chipped too, and £9.50 is cheap I've just paid £20, better safe than sorry, at least you stand a better chance of getting her back if she strayed :thumbsup:

All mine are chipped i think its a good backup to there id tag and if theres ever an ownership disput you get your dog back whitch is the most inportant thing

wendy

Both Jakey and Jilly are getting done next week Andrea. :thumbsup: They both wear ID tags on their collars but if there ever stolen microchips can't be removed. Sadly it seems as though stealing dogs is becoming more and more common :rant:

Alfie is chipped, I'm not really sure how good it would be if he was stolen :unsure: but certainly if he was lost and ended up in the right hands it would help us be reunited :thumbsup:

Slightly off topic Alfie has a chip that also reads his temperature so he wouldn't need it taken the other way :- " lol Anyone elses dog/s got this chip, how accurate is it? We only went for it because Alfie has a thing about his bottom being touched, and if he was ill we thought this chip would be kinder for him? :b

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if mine does that Las Vegas but it sounds like a good idea, I didn't know you could get that :thumbsup:

LasVegasNo1 said:
Alfie is chipped, I'm not really sure how good it would be if he was stolen :unsure:   but certainly if he was lost and ended up in the right hands it would help us be reunited :thumbsup:
There is a very small movement at this stage over here to bring in compulsory scanning by all vets and to have council rangers do random scanning in backyards. This would be brilliant for locating lost or stolen dogs.

Both of my dogs are chipped. I feel safer knowing that if they go missing I will have done everything I can to get them returned to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
£9.50's a good deal, go for it!

Maisie's chipped cos she came from the SSPCA and they did it before she came home with me, but I've never got round to chipping Austin ... :b but then again he never runs off, and Maisie's a turd when it comes to recall.

The cats aren't chipped either :( ... I'm not a great advert, am I? Having said that, I live in a rural area and even if the person who found the animal didn't know them, the police (also do dog warden duty here!) would.

It's true though, theft's a real worry these days :( .

Evie is microchipped and we paid £25 (w00t) its called identichip with bio-thermo, which when scanned also reads her temperature. So £9.50 sounds a good deal, go for it, better to be safe than sorry.

Julie

My two are both micro-chipped. I got a cheap rate and the person came to the house to do them, so it was very easy. I would recommend it for peace of mind. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: They also both have a name/address tag on their collars (a legal requirement nowadays I believe) plus a second tag with the phone number for the microchip Pet Log Register.

It is also a good idea to get your vet to scan your dog/dogs occasionally to check that the chip can be 'read'.

Both my girls and Coby, the puppy are microchipped. None of them batted an eyelid when they were done, even though Coby was only 12 weeks old. Thinking of getting pet passport as my sister, who I visit regulary, lives in France and micro chips are compulsory.

It gives me a little peace of mind when Fleur goes rabbiting and won't recall. I'm sure if propestive thieves see the microchip disc on her collar must make them think twice about stealing her.

Archie is chipped.....no problems, and little Fynn is being chipped Tuesday at 10 weeks old :huggles:

Mine were chipped free with their inoculations, dint feel it themselves but the vet made a boo boo and injected herself when she was replacing the cover to the needle and injected herself in the thumb. She bled all over the place and left her thumb print on Gucci's inoculation papers. :- "

Please get your dog chipped, it's so important. I never got my Whippet Luci chipped, had always planned to but never got round to it. Then on the 28th January this year Luci wandered out of garden in search of rabbits. I haven't seen her since that day. I may never see her again, but I'd have a much better chance if she was chipped. I immediately went & got my JRT chipped, she wasn't bothered at all and started kissing the vet straight afterwards.

Also a lurcher who had been missing for 7 months was reunited with its owner this week. He was found by the RSPCA on a traveller's site 1/2 starved but luckily the microchip was picked up.

Collars are easily removeable. Dog theft is a serious problem in this country.

http://www.freewebs.com/findluci/

I wasn`t ` keen on puttting a `foriegn `body in my dogs , put things have improved with them now and ive had the last 2 litters microchipped , It helps that its my sister who does it for me too 8)

I think with things as they are re thefts etc and Ive heard that compulsory chipping and / or tatooe might come in . Id always had my racing greyhounds tatooed obviously ,I ve seen first hand how painfull that USED to be , not sure about it now , they must have improved the method of doing it after 30 + years , one would hope :teehee:

getting greyhound pups tatooed does still hurt a bit but the ngrc will not give the microchip the go ahead as they can migrate through the body,i am sure they will overcome this problem in the future,but for now it needs to be tattoos for greyhounds.

Do they tattoo grey's differently to other dog breeds then ? I've only had the one litter tattooed,but they didn't even wake up............

I've only had the one dog micro-chipped so far.Not planning on chipping any of mine,although at £9.50,it does sound an offer not to be missed.I think if I was you,I'd have it done and make my mind up about chipping future dogs from that experience.We all have differing ideas about chipping/tattooing,from our own experiences (or in this case dog's experiences),so will do what we think suits us,as well as our dogs.

Lyd

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back