The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Microchipping

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I think it should be compulsary part of dog ownership for every dog to be chipped, it would prevent so many genuinley lost dogs going throught he trauma of being shipped to the local dog pound until being claimed (lazy people who just let their dogs roam excluded!!) incase they lose their collar etc

Couple of years ago whilst walking Harry in his pram, i came accross a young GSD XB running daft in the middle of the road, running from person to person dodging cars passing by, obviously lost and distressed. It came to me i caught it, rang the dog warden who came within an hour and scanned it at my home. They then rang the owner who had actually reported it lost earlier as it got spooked on her walk. She was frantically trying to find it on the meadows. This dog was returned straight away to a very relieved owner :sweating:

I also put house collars with tags on all mine when just in the house after rescuing a Golden Retriever from a really busy main road (how come i was the only person who bothered to help this poor dog, who nearly got squished by several cars while i was trying to cross the road to it!!! :rant: :rant: ) Anyway it had a nice collar on but no disc but as it turned out the Goldie had escaped from his garden and his collar that she walked him in did have a disc on. Although mine never try and run off when Harry leaves the door open to play out, you can never be sure can you???

(w00t) I got my Codie chipped, only cost £17:50, a small price to pay if he runs off, also this may be of intrest to some of you.

The vet gave me a puppy pack, in it was a 1 yr free membership to PETBACK from The Missing Pets Bureau. They offer a range of services, but the basic one you dog gets a blue tag for his collar with a unique id number on it, and a phone number for petback, they hold all your details on computer, and will contact you 24 hrs a day as soon as your dog isfound, the good thing about the tag is that it means you dont need a tag with all your details on it, eg your no and the dogs name, this means the finder ( who may try to keep the dog) wont have the advantage of having the dogs name.

I have opted for the DNA package, where they send you a swab, which you use to get a siliva sample, then send it back to them, they then keep a record of your dogs DNA on record, and if you ever find your dog with another person and they deny that he is yours, the DNA evidence in court will win for you every time, and if you take this level of service at time of registration you get it for a one of payment of £99 for the life of the dog, instead of £99 a year. This I beleive is a limited offer and must be done at registration.

You also get a green tag instead of the blue one, this tag gives dog rescue, police etc permission to take your dog straight to a vet if he is found injured, rather than the usual,,,, who is going to pay carry on,,,,,.

Considering that over 900 dogs are STOLEN each WEEK in britain, I think this is great value for money.

Incase any of you are interested, here is the phone number.

[SIZE=14pt]0800 0195 110[/SIZE]

www.missingpetsbureau.com/home/protect/petback_medalert.aspx

I hope this link works, it is the link to the PETBACK website.

:cheers:

Gavin

gavo said:
(w00t) I got my Codie chipped, only cost £17:50, a small price to pay if he runs off, also this may be of intrest to some of you.The vet gave me a puppy pack, in it was a 1 yr free membership to PETBACK from The Missing Pets Bureau. They offer a range of services, but the basic one you dog gets a blue tag for his collar with a unique id number on it, and a phone number for petback, they hold all your details on computer, and will contact you 24 hrs a day as soon as your dog isfound, the good thing about the tag is that it means you dont need a tag with all your details on it, eg your no and the dogs name, this means the finder ( who may try to keep the dog) wont have the advantage of having the dogs name.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that chipped or not, the LAW requires Your Name, Address, and Contact Telephone on the dog no matter what.

Wendy

Yes it does Wendy, but there's no way I'd put our address on Alfie's collar - that'd be great for a potential dog thief?! :eek: Phone number only for me - law or no law :- "

LasVegasNo1 said:
Yes it does Wendy, but there's no way I'd put our address on Alfie's collar - that'd be great for a potential dog thief?! :eek: Phone number only for me - law or no law :- "
I understand that. I do actually put our address and phone number - and I even (shock horror LOL) put their names on the tags.

I know there's theives out there. And we do have 'them' in the area several weeks out of the year, but my thoughts are this (and I totally respect and understand people who do things differently):

There is a great chance that my dog has escaped that that my dog will be stolen. Either pulled the lead out of my hand, slipped out of a crate, someone forgot to lock the fence, got out the front door.... (Those types of scenarios that we all protect against, but that we can't say will never happen) than that they will be stolen. So in a potential scary situation for my dog I feel that someone finding them, being able to call them by name would be comforting (perhaps I'm anthromorphising - is that the word?) and I would rather them be able to bring her straight back home (assuming she's escaped locally) than to rely on just the chip (waiting hours to get to somewhere that can read it to contact the company) or a phone.

Whatever we do we have to weigh the risk/consequence, so I respect that others choose only a phone number, or even just their vets phone number. There's still a better chance of a quick reunion when it's your own phone number. To only rely on the pettag ID where the dog still needs to be scanned and then the company contacted etc, just seems to delay getting the dog home.

Now if the dog has LOST it's collar and tags then absolutely scanning or tattoo registry or whatever necessary is GREAT. But I just like the idea that if they got lost in this area they could be home as soon as someone saw them.

Wendy

I have my JR Terrier chipped and will get Annie my Whippet pup done when shes a little older. For the amount it costs it is worth doing.

A friend of mine had her dog chipped and the micro chip CAME OUT. She was stroking her and felt it in the dogs coat (Westie). I don't know how rare this is, its a good idea to get the vet to scan for it on a visit to make sure its still in place.

Well, I'm just back from Earlstown, and Tascha is now officially microchipped. She was an absolute star, she didn't even yelp, and there's not a sign of blood. She's had a big pigs ear for a treat, and is now fast asleep in my bed, none the worse for wear after her little trip out.

Thanks for all the replies, it's been very informative reading all about everyones experiences.

Andrea and Tascha :wub:

Ahh well done Tascha for being a brave girl :huggles: Our little boy yelped when he had it done :( and he had a spot of blood but he soon forget when the vet gave him a liver cube! :- "

Wendy said:
gavo said:
(w00t) I got my Codie chipped, only cost £17:50, a small price to pay if he runs off, also this may be of intrest to some of you.The vet gave me a puppy pack, in it was a 1 yr free membership to PETBACK from The Missing Pets Bureau. They offer a range of services, but the basic one you dog gets a blue tag for his collar with a unique id number on it, and a phone number for petback, they hold all your details on computer, and will contact you 24 hrs a day as soon as your dog isfound, the good thing about the tag is that it means you dont need a tag with all your details on it, eg your no and the dogs name, this means the finder ( who may try to keep the dog) wont have the advantage of having the dogs name.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that chipped or not, the LAW requires Your Name, Address, and Contact Telephone on the dog no matter what.

Wendy

Hi all,, just to clarify, it is not the microchip that makes the difference,,,,It is the tag from PETBACK, when I spoke to them on the phone they told me that if you have the petback tag on then you dont need the normal tag on your dog. As their phone number is on it and they have all your details available 24 hours a day, they also work along with over 10,000 agencys in britain, inc Police, vets, kennels etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

Gavin

2005_0322Image0002.jpg

Hi again, I have just been on to the police and they have informed e that it is not law to have any tag on your dog, now he did say that this may not be the same in England as it is here In Scotland, so not really any further forward, ,,,,,, He did say that it is not always good to have to much info on a tag anyway, but you should check the law with your lacal police

Gavin

At our vets Royal Canin are doing a special offer at the moment where if you buy 2 or more bags (2.5kg or over) then you get a free microchip. Can't be bad :D I presume they are doing it at all practises that sell Royal Canin.

Going to have to order 10 bags so we can get all our lot done. I've been wondering wether to get them chipped or tattooed for ages but this had made up my mind... I think :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Even thought mine are all chipped they allso were id tags 24 7 on house collars when there home and allso on there walking cllars the walking collars have little leather poutches on with all our details inside and there houes collars have our phone number and post code on it all the greyhounds are tattoed aswell its not that I am paraniod ust a bit over carefull :D

wendy

gavo said:
:cheers: Hi again, I have just been on to the police and they have informed e that it is not law to have any tag on your dog, now he did say that this may not be the same in England as it is here In Scotland, so not really any further forward, ,,,,,, He did say that it is not always good to have to much info on a tag anyway, but you should check the law with your lacal police

Gavin

I think it is different in England - our vets have a sign up saying its the law and the nurse got a bit funny with me when I said I didn't want to put Josie's name for exactly the reasons you previously mentioned, and I didn't want to put my full address, just my house number and postcode :wacko: I think she thought I was a bit of a crazy.

i think definitely microchip, both mine done.

Though be careful how they do it, because Tess's has slipped up her neck and now is visible, so if anyone really wanted to steal her it would be very easy to remove, so I am going to have to have it done again, :(

though don't know what to do about the one in her neck, I really don't want anyone to hurt her to get it out.......... :eek: :x

I did Piper when she was young......Hven't done Barney or Twister.....Think they'd take a lot of loosing.

Never did a dog before Piper.....had them for 30 years or more...takes some loosing, a dog, in my experience.. (w00t) (w00t) :teehee:

Both Jakey and Jilly were microchipped about 3 weeks ago cost £20.00 each. No problems getting it done or since. It gives me peace of mind to know that if the unthinkable did happen and one of them did go missing I'd done everything possible to get them back home. :thumbsup:

They also wear their collars and tags at all times. Only time there off is when their in the bath :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
My last 2 litters were Microchipped as Ive said earlier , but I read in the dog paper the other week that a woman had lost her dog and the register who keeps the records rang her to say that they had had a request to change the personnel details of the missing dog eg the name and address of where the dog belongs . The woman wanted to know to whom they wanted them changing because these people had obviously got her lost . loved pet (w00t) but they wouldnt give her any details , saying they were confidential :eek: . The last id heard she`d been to the police but they couldnt do anything :rant: as usual . The poor woman as far as I know still hasnt got her dog back :(

So whats the point getting them chipped if you can just change the name and address of the owner at will ??( which they obviously didnt this time , but surely they should be made to give details of who NOW has the pet ) or cant get them back if they end up in someone elses hands :eek:

All of mine are chipped.

I also put their names on the collar. I've never understood why you shouldn't. If someone intends to steal the dog then they already have hold of the dog to see the collar and know it's name. A dog can easily learn a new name if needed - Tie learnt her new name in 2 days.

My tags also say 'this bitch is speyed, chipped and insured' which would hopefully put off any theives and if anyone finds them injured they wouldnt worry about taking them to the vets and being stuck with a bill - if they couldnt contact me for some reason.

I would like to think that there are just as many nice people in the world and if I genuinely lost one of my dogs a nice person might find them and ring me - just as likely as a thief finding / stealing them - hopefully. :unsure:

However, I've heard stories like the one Jax has mentioned before - and I also know of someone that adopted from a rescue and the chipping company wont change the details without the rescues permission and the rescue wont give permission (presumably if they want their dog back they'll have to re-adopt :angry: ) - so nothing is fool proof.

We've just got to do the best we can.......

Hire a security guard, never let them off the lead, or in the garden, or unattended - that should do it. :p

It didnt hurt them anymore than the usual jabs - but the needle is bigger (w00t) I can feel Star's chip though :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back