The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Microchipping

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Strike Whippets said:
.......After this and the fact that a very strong magnet will cancel a microchip out, I opted for tattoo's for the rest of my lot  :)

That's scary I haven't heard that before :eek:

our greyhounds all have ear tattoo's and are not chipped,we were thinking about getting the retired ones chipped but we have just read the may issue of dogs today magazine and there is an article about micro chipping and a tale about a woman who lost her dog-someone found it right outside her gate but thought it was a stray so they decided to keep the dog,some time later the couple took the dog to the vet and it was scanned and the vet found the real owners details,but the vet was not allowed to tell the real owner where there dog was,so instead asked the new owners to contact the real owner-they agreed and told the real owners that the dog was fine and they had found the dog outside the real owners house but felt it was a stray and were now not prepared to give the dog back as they were attached to it!-and there was nothing the real owner could do about it because as far as the law is concerned just because a dog has a microchip with your details on it does not mean you own the dog-the law says that you own the micro chip and that is all!,so if someone nicks your dog they dont even need to change the details on the chip to be able to keep the dog!-crazy.

at least with greyhound tattoos the dog is registered to the owner and unless you sign a form and send it to the ngrc to state a change of ownership the dog will always be yours.

p.s. does anybody else read this magazine?,this is the first time we have read it and it has loads of good tips on dog problems etc and i think would be a good read for new owners and experienced owners alike.

oh and it has a good few pages on greyhounds in this issue.

the latest replies have raised an issue I meant to ask about. I got my dogs microchipped quite recently and I have to decide whether to pay for lifetime registration with Petlog. For a one-off fee, currently £15, any future changes in details of ownership, address, phone no. can be registered without further payment; and if you report the dog lost the chip number will be circulated to various contacts (rescue groups, vets, etc) - I don't know how comprehensive the list is.

so what service do you have if you don't get petlog membership after the initial registrtation. I know you would have to pay a fee, currently £5, each time you want to amend the registration details. Would anyone who finds your dog be able to give Petlog your details and have you notified? Is there any time limit on the service?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back