The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Microchipping

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ollie was chipped at 10 weeks, wouldn't have given it a second thought not too.

Now I have heard two stories that amaze me - Luci's Mum and Jax re people being able to change details when dogs are found/stolen.

Surely, if Ollie went missing and I contacted petlog immediately to advise them, how can they not act if a stranger then calls them to change the ownership details. This is so infuriating :rant: and ridiculous :blink: What is the world coming to and who sets these stupid rules. I understand all about confidentiality (worked for Barclays Bank for years :- " ) but for God's sake, how can this be allowed to go on.

Also, reading Our Dogs and am appalled re movement of the chips and the traumas then faced re dogs having to go into quarantine as the chips cannot be read.

I really thought that this was a fool proof system and that any dog owner would be a fool not to go ahead. I am not so sure now, and having just rescued a three year old whippet on Tuesday from a long way away, I can't risk him running and trying to get home without being chipped so he is booked in for tomorrow morning. He (and Ollie) both wear tags, but they have names :b and two telephone numbers and they say "microchipped".

A bit off track, but I have only our mobile numbers on my tags as these are ALWAYS on and with us, and also I wouldn't want to be stuck at home waiting for the phone to ring when I need to be out looking for them (God forbid this ever happens)

LasVegasNo1 said:
Yes it does Wendy, but there's no way I'd put our address on Alfie's collar - that'd be great for a potential dog thief?! :eek: Phone number only for me - law or no law :- "
Just phone number for me too I think thats all thats necessary, I also have the blue petlog tag on each, all are chipped, if I put address on and one went missing and was stolen I'd be worried incase they came for the others :blink: knowing where we lived.

I have only our mobile numbers on my tags as these are ALWAYS on and with us, and also I wouldn't want to be stuck at home waiting for the phone to ring when I need to be out looking for them
That's a good idea. I think I'll do that too :thumbsup:

takes some loosing, a dog, in my experience
Not sure I agree with you. There are a few people on K9 who have really sad stories about losing dogs. And being the type of hound that takes off after a fast-moving fluffy... well, anything could happen. Personally I see chipping as a way of discouraging thieves, too, with the highly visible tag that you get :thumbsup:

We have our dogs chipped and regisitered with PETLOG and i have rung them before and changed address on the phone and they asked for previous address and the chip number and then changed it.

The horse's are with INDENTICHIP and they won't do it over the phone you must send ALL details in first.

This makes me wonder how someone who finds a lost dog can change these details??????

Tracy Chamberlain said:
A bit off track, but I have only our mobile numbers on my tags as these are ALWAYS on and with us, and also I wouldn't want to be stuck at home waiting for the phone to ring when I need to be out looking for them (God forbid this ever happens)
I thought about doing that, but then realised that I have our mobile number on our answering machine, so anyone calling the answering machine can get the mobile, and I can still be out searching. I also thought about a 2nd tag for travelling with the mobile number on it, but didn't for the same reason - mobile number is ont eh answering machine.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy said:
Tracy Chamberlain said:

I thought about doing that, but then realised that I have our mobile number on our answering machine, so anyone calling the answering machine can get the mobile, and I can still be out searching.

Wendy

Oh yes... glad you brought that up before I went out and got a new tag made :thumbsup:

My last 2 litters were Microchipped as Ive said earlier , but I read in the dog paper the other week that a woman had lost her dog and the register who keeps the records rang her to say that they had had a request to change the personnel details of the missing dog eg the name and address of where the dog belongs . The woman wanted to know to whom they wanted them changing because these people had obviously got her lost . loved pet  but they wouldnt give her any details , saying they were confidential
:unsure:

This thread (and the one where Luci's Mum brought up a similar incident) have really worried me, I must say. It's not nice to think that the chip company might actually fail to reunite you with your dog. So I've just phoned my company, who are marketed as Identichip, and spoke to a really nice woman there. She said that it would be impossible for a third party to change the registered owner. What they do is ask for information, and then contact the registered owner with that information. They also recommend that the person who rings them who has found the dog, should take it to a vet, dog warden, or police so that the dog can be returned to the owner. We talked for quite a long time, and she really did put my mind at rest, however she did say she couldn't speak for Petlog's practice as she didn't represent them.

That's put my mind at rest a bit Helen, thanks :thumbsup: I'd hate to think our last hope could be an utter failure should the unthinkable happen :sweating:

I have Fynn and Archie chipped. I have also just phoned my company, Virbac, (Back Home). They have confirmed that they would not give information to me about who had requested change of ownership if one of the dogs went missing. Data protection act!!!!!! :( :( :(

They would contact me and say a request for change of ownership had been made, but not give specifics :rant:

Also a question to all - did anyone's Vet etc scan your dog BEFORE they injected the chip to check whether the dog was already registered??

We didn't even think about it until we got home and suddenly thought surely this should be done as part of the routine?? :blink: :blink:

LasVegasNo1 said:
Also a question to all - did anyone's Vet etc scan your dog BEFORE they injected the chip to check whether the dog was already registered??
We didn't even think about it until we got home and suddenly thought surely this should be done as part of the routine?? :blink:   :blink:

Yes, our vet did (I was a bit taken aback, but on reflection it's good practice). She said she scans EVERY new patient, even if they've come in with a family she knows. She said they might have bought a dog in good faith.

Also - just thought, that there is a presumption that someone will give their info to the chip company. Of course they might just say, F-off and put the phone down on the chip company, leaving you none the wiser regarding information and location, unless they are a genuine person who is trying to get the dog back home :(

LasVegasNo1 said:
We didn't even think about it until we got home and suddenly thought surely this should be done as part of the routine?? :blink:   :blink:

YES MINE DID :thumbsup:

LasVegasNo1 said:

Yes mine did too, and again at adolescent check (four months) to ensure that they could still read it. They did waffle on a bit about the lack of meat on a whip and having to inject further up the neck than normal. :unsure:

No, but would be good practice. To be fair Savannah and Teya were 'wee pups' when we did it, and we had good records, and they had (wiht our permission) 'imported' Chelsea's records from our old vets in Scotland so did a scan on her to be sure the chip was working and they did compare the number to what was in the records.

I don't know what they do when they chip older dogs. Would be a good practice to get into though.

Wendy

are there any reasons not to microchip? (tht is what I thought this discussion would be about)

I had my dogs microchipped, but I did feel uneasy; I can see the day when all us humans are required by law to have a chip inserted!

could the chip or scanning do a dog any harm?

what would it take to remove a chip? I've heard of greyhounds ears being cut in order to remove the tatooed part. So is a chipped dog in less danger (won't get an ear mutilated but is unlikely to have his chip chiseled out) or in great danger of being cut deeply in an attempt to remove his microchip?

Joshua is done and Bradley will be done on May 17th as my local dog club has the dog warden coming for the evening to do microchipping.

Phew! I'm glad to hear some Vet's out there routinely scan their patients :thumbsup: Shame ours doesn't :(

what would it take to remove a chip? I've heard of greyhounds ears being cut in order to remove the tatooed part. So is a chipped dog in less danger (won't get an ear mutilated but is unlikely to have his chip chiseled out) or in great danger of being cut deeply in an attempt to remove his microchip?
Not much I would think? :( Just a small cut with a knife and I'm sure the chip would be easy to get at?? :( :( Of course they've got to locate the chip first but on a Whippet you only have to run your hands over them to 'feel' the chip :unsure:

My vet's never scanned any of my lot (5 we did a job lot) befor they did their microchip's, but I put that down to knowing us very well .........but I was alarmed to find out that even if one of my dog's was found and taken to a practice that actually knew who the dog belonged too, that practice is legally NOT allowed to inform the rightful owners, and IF the people who have found your microchipped dog want's to keep her then YOU the rightful owner has to go to court to battle it out :blink: .......After this and the fact that a very strong magnet will cancel a microchip out, I opted for tattoo's for the rest of my lot :)

I think if I found a dog was chipped in my practice and I suspected it was stolen, I'd contact the registered owners via the petlog system asking if they knew where their dog was at that point in time and then 'invite them to have a look round the surgery' at a point in time when I might coincidentally be re-examining the suspect dog ... :- "

If this is true, and that these companies are hiding behind the data protection act - which in my opinion is just an excuse, then these companies have no right to charge us for a service that we will not get in the event of our dog being "found" by someone else. They must therefore be contravening the Trades Description Act in some way, and I think we need legal advice to launch some kind of class action. We have been mis-sold!!

ILoveKettleChips said:
I think if I found a dog was chipped in my practice and I suspected it was stolen, I'd contact the registered owners via the petlog system asking if they knew where their dog was at that point in time and then 'invite them to have a look round the surgery' at a point in time when I might coincidentally be re-examining the suspect dog ...  :- "

Good for you ILKC. :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back