The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Muphys memoires

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
DSCN2894.JPG DSCN2895 (2).JPG DSCN2896 (2).JPG DSCN2933 - kopie.JPG

What a week , we have had SIL staying and she is a mad as a box of frogs so Murphy has been on his best behaviour.

No trips out because we have to be around for her so just walkies at the local nature reserve. Murphy has been doing very well off lead lately we try to give him some time each day and use more than one ball so 'here' is a fun command because it means the second ball.. Trying to teach OH about setting him up to succeed rather than fail ie waiting until he runs off and then scream COME HERE...
so far so good.

An update on the otters is our WOW for this week. Taking a photo of Murphy when OH said 'behind you otter'
Turned in time to see the otter dash into the reeds, I ran along the bank to the pond in time to see a scene from jaws as an unsuspecting coot suddenly vanished in a flurry of wings and feathers.. Running back along the bank in time to see the otter emerge with the coot in its mouth cross the path and vanish down the other bank with its prey.. Of course I had the camera on the wrong setting wasnt focused and was so excited that all I got was a brown blur , but OH and I were jumping with excitement and Murphy was so bored he laid down!

Rant alert;

Im sure some people want to be bitten.

Last week I heard Murphy yipping and went to investigate only to find SIL sitting in the chair waggeling her fingers at him while staring intently at his face, as he could stand it no longer and lurched forward she hid her hands in her lap grinning and giggeling, then as he sat down she started again.. I called her name and said ' youre braver than me, he is quick and his teeth are like razors he will have your fingers for lunch in a minute'
Her grin vanished and that put paid to that.
This morning we went to walk at the nature reserve our first free morning for two full weeks. The whole area is miles from any houses and its where people used to dig peat so the whole area is very marshy with lots of little bridges (like the one in the photo) connecting the strips of land. I was taking a photo and heard Murphy bark I turned round to see an old man of about 80 walking across the bridge but he was dressed like the rhinestone cowboy complete with 10gallon hat!
Instead of passing he stopped, totally blocking the path and bridge and started to lean toward Murphy. OH told him that Murphy isnt friendly with strangers but no he didnt listen.... Leaning in a bit further he held out his hand 'oh doggy doggy doggy, let him come to me' he told OH.. OH was backing up onto a tuft of reeds by this time trying to keep a safe distance..So I marched over put myself between the man and OH and said NO, he does not like you...

Oh Oh well if you put it like that.. and he stomped off.
What is it with these people? Did they never get told as a child that you must not tease dogs or touch strangers dogs? Did they never learn that its not polite to shove your hand into a dogs face? Do they not realise that barred teeth, barking and an owner holding a short lead are obvious indicators that a dogs doesnt like strangers?
Honestly the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me, at their age you would think they would know better after all they expect the dog to be perfect and he's only 2 !

DSCN3227 - kopie.JPG

Dudley is only little and is not fond of being petted when he is out on a walk. This only applies to adults he loves being petted by small children.. The ones he knows he approaches , the others ask.
It must be quite scary for any dog with a large hand approaching from on high.

Apart from my husband there are only two other men he trusts, both dog walkers and he always runs up to them.
I think dogs should be given the choice. He doesn't bark or growl just hides behind my legs.

DSCN3458 - kopie.JPG
DSCN3529 - kopie.JPG
DSCN3533 - kopie.JPG
Ive just got home from the phsyio..She thinks that me falling flat on my face twice in such a short space of time has given my back and hips a jolt. There is some tightness in the joints and lower back so thats what she will treat for.. No signs of wear in the hip..No need to limit my walking. Im so glad
We love our walks.

I've just seen a similarity - are you sure Murphy isn't something crossed with a big black and white bird?

Well March has been a month of change, there have been storms and sunshine, wonderful sunrises, days at the beach soggy wet walks, and frosty breath but signs of spring with storks and lambs in the fields.
Its been a busy month and there is talk of change at Murphy mansions but more about that later...
In the meantime some nice photo moments of the month past.

March.jpg

As I mentioned last month changes have happened. Many of you will know we had thought about rescuing an ex-lab beagle but the rescue has stange ideas about contact (ie they dont) and George needed a new home urgently..

Its only been 10 days but the changes are huge already. Murphy is so happy, he plays with George a lot and it has calmed him .
George is so laid back its amazing he loves everyone and everything (except maybe cats ) he greets everyone with a grin and a wagging tail and its helping Murphy to accept that not everyone is a nasty monster poised to kill him with their death ray.
He has walked nicely past prams, wheelchairs, walking frames, people with boxes and bags, builders with shovels and brooms and kids playing ball, all things that would have had him barking and doing the crazy dog dance at the end of his lead less than two weeks ago. He goes into the garden without racing about barking he is less alert at who's walking past the fence. Its not 100% but its a huge improvement.

George isnt perfect either, he is a chewy thief who had a ham roll off the kitchen worktop this morning in the time it took me to turn around . He has chewed OH reading glasses and the edge of my bird spotting book but we can work on those things. He's not really a beagle either but we wont hold that against him, its personality that counts and George has that by the bucket load and its all sweet and good temepered. He even greeted our grandchildren (little monsters) with joy and smiles. Murphy hid!

Well George has been with us for 5 weeks now and the changes in Murphy are really beginning to show. He is happier now he has a playmate but he is also a lot more social. The post lady who Murphy had taken a real dislike to recently came round last week, she used the toilet and stayed for a chat and a drink George loved her of course ( he loves everyone) and she gave him a treat, Murphy who had been hiding under the table decided he also wanted a treat and came running over tail wagging with his nice face plastered all over his head.. She told him sit and gave him a treat, then she offered the back of her hand to sniff which he did and she was even allowed to stroke him. Then on Saturday evening OH had invited a couple round for a beer. We know them via our daughter who was best friends with their daughter when they were children.. Anyway Murphy has never met them so I was worried but they came in sat down and the lady said dont worry about him, let him come over, let him sniff or bark and even if he nips its ok we can just get a tetanus ( they are doggy people!) To my great surprise after seeing George get a bit of cheese ( very special treat) Murphy decided these people were not axe murderers and apart from a little barking when they got up to go to the loo he was calm and even left the room to go lay in his bed!

This morning we chatted to a lady with a big black dog ( a big trigger ) and there was no reaction, we passed a bouncy lab , no reaction and we saw a lady with a pram and small fluffy thing again no reaction. It seems George is like vallium when it comes to Murphys fears and triggers..

So pleased for you all at the effect George is having on Murphy, it’s funny how different dogs become when they have a more confident dog around them showing that things are not as scary as they thought. X

Yes, terrific!
2 boys getting so wonderfully along is by no means guaranteed, great job everyone.

Indeed, we have had three boys in one house before starting with a BC adding a beagle and then a rat terrier.. They were fine but it was nothing compared to the bond that Murphy and George have had since day one. I've never seen two adult dogs bond so quickly and so well. Of course there are things we have to be careful about George inhales food like an industrial hooverso he has to be kept seperated from Murphy who is a slower considered eater. Also if there is a bone or chew treat we keep them apart after all there is no need to tempt disaster. But they play and sleep together beautifully. They seem to have found in each other what they were missing before George loves to be around other dogs and Murphy needed back up. In fact George is the sort of dog many of us hate seeing off lead he is a social butterfly who if given the chance will be up in your face saying 'hello, I love you, be my buddy' until you just get smothered. Yet Murphy seems to like it, in fact they even engage in mutual grooming to the point of licking in each others mouths (YUK) they wrestle and neither one is dominant they take turns to be the one pinning the other to the floor and seem to enjoy it all ..Never any aggression...
I am counting my blessings with George.. Photo is them enjoy off lead time this morning

DSCN1027 - kopie.JPG

Love it, love it, LOVE it!... so glad that George gives Murphy a boost of confidence, & they look thrilled beyond words as they play. :)
A happy ending for everyone, that’s the best kind!

DSCN3465 - kopie.JPG
We had a great walk this morning at the national park Alde Feanen which is not far from us. The dogs like it and at one point we stood in a scene like a real life monet painting.
It was nice after some not so great news this week. I have had pain in my foot for a few weeks and it hasnt got better so I went to the GP on Tuesday and she referred me for an Xray which I went and had done. On Thursday the results came back theres no fracture or anything but there is Arthrosis in the foot joints.

Getting older is a pain,,, literally !

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back