The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Need Some Breeding Help

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Woppit said:
nobody - but a lot of ppl for example spay bitches to avoid seasons and the percieved probelms that they pose, or cut dogs in the beleif that they will be less aggressive.
..yeah maybe they think that is the right thing to do ...if you dont however then thats your choice :wacko:

»Tina« said:
Woppit said:
but it's easy enough to deal with... it's not like breeding from a dog with mental problems.
the point is to erradicate (sp) this genetric trait, what if you bred from your dog and sold the pup's, and 3 of them male pups had crypto, the new owners then phone you up, complaining and wanting some sort of compensation, what would you do?

you could find yourself in court, I suspect this is going to happen very soon, breeders (if they have knowingly bred a dog with this trait) MUST inform the potential buyers IMHO, because it's just a matter of time until they get sued, wouldn't you want to know if your buying faulty goods?

Tina wot do u mean faulty goods sue

I believe this is a widely used practice in Europe. The theory being that the bicth still produces hormones and therefore the weight gain post Spay is "removed" or at least reduced significantly, ( im not sure, I will have to check, it may well reduce incontinance issue also)

What a strange idea since there is no weight gain if the dog is being fed the correct amount of food post spay. My boxer bitch was spayed early on and she is extremely trim and her weight hasn't changed at all in the eighteen months since her op.

Also seems strange to do this to reduce incontinence since it isn't an absolute certainty that a spayed bitch will be incontinent anyway.

Whippets Rule said:
the bicth still produces hormones and therefore the weight gain post Spay is "removed" or at least reduced significantly, ( im not sure, I will have to check, it may well reduce incontinance issue also)

What a strange idea since there is no weight gain if the dog is being fed the correct amount of food post spay. My boxer bitch was spayed early on and she is extremely trim and her weight hasn't changed at all in the eighteen months since her op.

Yes, this persistently amazes me ...

Vet: "This dog is overweight"

Owner: "Yes, it's because she's been spayed."

Vet: "Really? Nothing to do with you overfeeding it then?"

Owner: "No, absolutely not, the fact that my dog is fat has no relation whatsoever to the amount and type of food I choose to give her."

Vet: <bashes head against wall repeatedly>

Anyway, we digress ... :D

(w00t)

ILoveKettleChips said:
Whippets Rule said:
the bicth still produces hormones and therefore the weight gain post Spay is "removed" or at least reduced significantly, ( im not sure, I will have to check, it may well reduce incontinance issue also)

Owner: "No, absolutely not, the fact that my dog is fat has no relation whatsoever to the amount and type of food I choose to give her."

Edit the last bit to read " Vet bashes clients head against wall repeatedly" (w00t)

Whippets Rule said:
(w00t)

ILoveKettleChips said:
Whippets Rule said:

Edit the last bit to read " Vet bashes clients head against wall repeatedly" (w00t)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

S. Rodgers said:
»Tina« said:
Woppit said:
but it's easy enough to deal with... it's not like breeding from a dog with mental problems.
the point is to erradicate (sp) this genetric trait, what if you bred from your dog and sold the pup's, and 3 of them male pups had crypto, the new owners then phone you up, complaining and wanting some sort of compensation, what would you do?

you could find yourself in court, I suspect this is going to happen very soon, breeders (if they have knowingly bred a dog with this trait) MUST inform the potential buyers IMHO, because it's just a matter of time until they get sued, wouldn't you want to know if your buying faulty goods?

Tina wot do u mean faulty goods sue

as in if you went to a shop and bought, say a TV, and it was faulty, wouldn't you want to know if it was faulty? then the buyer would have a choice weather to still buy it or not, that's what I mean sue :thumbsup:

Woppit said:
I've been coming into sum heavy flak on a pedigree/showing forum and would like sum help and advice from this saner branch of the dog world!!
I have an entire dog; he is very strong and healthy, but due to chest infections in his first month and generally being a runt he is small.

He had one undescended testicle which had to be reomoved.

should either of these factors cause a problem if i wanted to breed from him?

any help very much appreciated,

Sam

It is apparent to me that you have made your mind up that you are going to breed from your dog, no matter what advise you are given. Not only are you planning on breeing a dog that MAY demonstrate a genetic mutation, I believe you are planning on deliberately crossing him with a whippet.......for reasons I am not clear about??

I am disappointed, but not particularly surprised, that you consider your "views" to be saner than those of people who have the good of a breed and of dogs in gerenal as their primary concern. Until all dog breeders accept their responsibilities there will continue to be unwanted dogs in rescue centres - with their rehoming made more difficult by the fact that they are of poor health or temperment.

There seems little point in asking you to re-think :angry:

No i've got no intention of breeding from him. I think on his personality and sum other traits he'd make an interesting lurcher but i'm not gonna do it.

anyway there's a difference between having views and airing them and trouble making (in a non-supressional environment anyway)

Woppit said:
No i've got no intention of breeding from him. I think on his personality and sum other traits he'd make an interesting lurcher but i'm not gonna do it.
anyway there's a difference between having views and airing them and trouble making (in a non-supressional environment anyway)

what is a non-supressional enviroment then???? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
well just any where u r allowed free speech really and r allowed to discuss things

Woppit said:
well just any where u r allowed free speech really and r allowed to discuss things
OK, let's get one thing straight here - you came on here asking for advice! Nobody's stopping you from speaking freely, and we have all happily entered into a discussion with you.

If you don't like the response you've had to your post, then that's fine, your lookout. It hardly makes K9 a 'suppressional environment'!

I think the 'troublemaker' point was purely made in the context that despite advice it was felt that you were intent on your original course of action. :)

Woppit said:
yes we are all allowed to our opinions, freedon of speech, topic discussions, debate's.....etc, after all this is an open forum :thumbsup:

Think of all the trouble in trying to eliminate Crypto/Monos from the gene pool.

Think of having to look beyond titles & actually look at the studs themselves.

Think of the juicy stud fees people would lose out on.

Think of foregoing the thrill of owning a regular winner.

Whats a bit of invasive surgery against fluffing your ego. After all it's not you that's undergoing it. :- " :- " :- " :- "

Terry Smith

I think sum ppl are too wary of really getting into the meat of ideas that may be against the grain

and i dont want to seem ungrateful, what u've said about the gentic element of undescended testicles has helped me a lot - i was never sure before but it's a lot clearer now thanks to your vet memebers (thanks vet members!)

i gave you the advice that i was taught when i worked as a veterinary nurse....however sometimes that advice is not always agreed with from breeders....people have to make their own decisions about whats right at the end of the day :thumbsup:

I have read most if not all these posts.

I havent seen anyone VET or Breeder mention breed standards.

ALL KC BREED STANARDS STATE whatever the breed,

'Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.' !!!!!!!!!

This is the case for all mammals is it not?

If the dogs only has one testicle then it is abnormal, show, race or worker.

Why would anyone want to breed from an abnormal dog?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back