The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nightmare??

CHRIS DOYLE

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone. I need some opinions/advice.

One of my lurchers, Sheba,a greyhound/saluki, is showing some alarming behaviour. Sheba lives with Pam (borntorun website refers) On two occasions within the last 3 weeks Pam has woken during the night to find Sheba(who sleeps on Pam's bed) scrabbing away at the bed clothes, salivating and appearing very confused. When Pam has approached her she has backed off from her until, so it appears, she has regained some awareness of where she is. Within some minutes she returns to normal and everyone goes back to bed. Pam also has Bracken Tilley and The Shiner on/in bed as well. As I said, this has occurred on 2 occasions and on both occasions the dog has been asleep. The only difference between this and the last time was that Sheba on this occasion was a little bit sick.

Are these nightmares? Are they fits?

Pam will take her to the vet tomorrow but I am curious to learn your views and has anyone had a similar experience?

Sheba has been a bit lame on one of her legs, trod on a bit of glass, and hasn't been having much exercise. She is fed Redmills Racer. Would that be too rich as she has been less active? and could that have a part to play?

Over to you.

Many thanks

LAMPY :thumbsup:

I must say that sounds very typical of a fit to me - The most common time for a dog to have a seizure is when they are relaxed and quiet. They may even occur from a sound sleep. There are many different causes of seizures so you are doing the right thing to take her to the vet tomorrow for an expert opinion - very best of luck with Sheba :luck: :huggles:

I'm afraid it sound like a fit to me too :(

I would certainly get her off the racer food & onto a lower protein if she's not working,it can't be doing her any good!

Best of luck at the vets tomorrow :luck:

Have to agree, sounds to me like a fit, our old dog had epilepsy an we have a cat with it now, both had the same as you are describing, good news is our cat is on Epiphen and lives a perfectly normal life, just can take a while to get the dose right. Hope all goes well for you.... :luck:

Sorry I haven't got any advice Chris, just wanted to send good wishes for Sheba and Pam :huggles: hope the vet can find out whats wrong and sort it out quickly :luck: :luck:

Yes, I'm afraid I would say a seizure, too. If it's any consolation, they are probably much more distressing for the person watching than they are for the dog who probably doesn't have much idea what's happening at the time.

It may not necessarily be epilepsy, though. Fits can be caused by other things such as allergies or reaction to medication, I believe most vets won't diagnose epilepsy unless there have been 3 or more seizures.

If it is epilepsy there may be no treatment needed unless the seizures become really frequent or serious, and in that case they can often be very well controlled by medication - my friend has an epileptic greyhound who was having at least two fits a day at one point but now on meds hasn't had one for six months.

Good luck, I hope all goes well :luck: :luck:

FeeFee said:
It may not necessarily be epilepsy, though.  Fits can be caused by other things such as allergies or reaction to medication, I believe most vets won't diagnose epilepsy unless there have been 3 or more seizures.
Yes, seizures aren't invariably due to epilepsy. Our cat started having seizures about 18 months ago, despite numerous tests we never got to the bottom of what was causing them. It was very worrying, as the pattern of seizures and age of onset did point to a possible tumour, but now they have virtually stopped, without any treatment. I wonder now if it was caused by a virus or an infection. Good idea to get her checked out by a vet just to rule out any other possible causes. :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to you all for your interesting comments. Can I just add to my original question that on Sept 2nd Sheba had a collision with the side of a car. She was chasing a rat and went on a road and ran into the car door. She did not appear injured but we took her to the vet to be checked. It is now that I think could that have had anything to do with the problem. It would seem (maybe) likely. What do you think??

lamping man said:
She did not appear injured but we took her to the vet to be checked. It is now that I think could that have had anything to do with the problem. It would seem (maybe) likely. What do you think??
That's interesting, as about a month before our cat developed her problem, she had a bump on the head (dashing through a door as it was being slammed) but in her case the vet didn't think it was relevant (she had involuntary movements all over her body as well as fits though). Mention it to the vet though.

Could be very relevant - I remember seeing a greyhound who started severe fits about a week after running head first into a tree :( Definitely worth mentioning to the vet :thumbsup:

lamping man said:
Many thanks to you all for your interesting comments. Can I just add to my original question that on Sept 2nd Sheba had a collision with the side of a car. She was chasing a rat and went on a road and ran into the car door. She did not appear injured but we took her to the vet to be checked. It is now that I think could that have had anything to do with the problem. It would seem (maybe) likely. What do you think??
My first thought (along with others from the looks of it) was seizure. And if she had a head trauma that makes it even more likely. She could have sustained some unseen damage from the head injury, she could have had some internal bleeding and/or a clot and pressure building. I don't want to alarm you, but definitely get her into the vet and make sure he/she knows about the head injury and the timing in relation to these episodes.

Hoping it all goes well.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Lampy,

Sounds like you've loads of advice, and she's going to the vet tomorrow which is definitely best thing :thumbsup: Good luck, and please let us know what he says :luck:

Definitely seizures and very very likely caused by the head trauma.

My lovely Beagle boy Parker started having fits five weeks ago and as soon as he'd had two fits he was put on phenobarb and antibiotics in case of infection and also steroids for brain swelling even though he hasn't had a head trauma.

He has finished his steroids but if the fits now come back he will be put to sleep as it means his brain is swelling again and this is almost always the beginning of the end with beagles.

Anyone with a fitting pet has my sincere sympathy.

also just thought to say Parker had a massive fit at two thirty in the morning when he was initially asleep but he woke up sat up then fell over and fitted,salivating,paddling his legs and he wet himself too......it's bloody awful to watch and sadly the vet said they are aware that somnething is happening to them both before and after the seizure but often during the fit they are unconscious.

Having said that,Parker has partial seizures too, he is awake and aware when these happen.

Just wishing you good luck at the vets, hope you get the problem sorted. :luck:

Good luck at the vets hope all goes well :luck: :luck: :luck:

:luck: Just want to say good luck at the vet.

It sounds like a seizure to me - I had a little dog with epilepsy and she had hundreds of fits ranging from small mild 'absences' through to the whole thrashing scenario.

If it's from the bump on the head it's hopefully just some temporary problem and will clear up quickly :luck: :luck: :luck:

good luck at the vets today,hope everything turns out fine :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hi everyone. Can I update you on Sheba and her suspected fitting. We took her to the vet and fully explained all circumstances.Following our visit we can be cautiously optomistic . He was of the view that dreaming was the likely cause as each incident occurred when she was asleep. It is unusual for seizures to happen at this time. He has asked us to monitor the situation and should it happen again tests will be done. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Lampy :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back