The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

No Limit Cap

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As a matter a fact Don always wanted cap's set in the NNWRF since he came on the committee , but was out voted on many an occasion ...as in cap's that not just the no limit but also included under 16lb

Alternatively we did add another scr class 48lb for a couple of reasons 1st and main one been safety..However if members feel the NNWRF scr classes don't work or weights need addressing they only need to let there feelings know and the committee will discuss it

As for the NNWRF it was formed for the bigger dogs

I didn't send our forms back for one reason i was laid up in bed due to my health and the Form wasn't top of my things to do list at the time ... but still think i can debate it on a public forum :thumbsup:

JOHNG said:
mutley said:
you back in the game then :p
com'on gary just say what you mean .

like i said in a previous post i may not race anymore but i still CARE what happens and goes on. :))

and will the n.n.w.r.f. be following the b.w.r.a. example and put a 55lb limit on,

the reason i ask is because it was two fed committee members that proposed it. :thumbsup:

i always say what i mean john :lol: and didnt mean anything :blink: just asked you a question as i would like to see you back racing ;)

this has nothing to do with the fed whether don and john are on the committee or not they are entitled to there views as bwra members .

will the fed follow the example i think you know the answer to that john :b why would we when we have the extra class on for dogs over 48 NO LIMIT :blink:

just because some dont agree doesn't make them wrong works both ways

the only thing i really disagreed with is bringing it in right away should of had a time on it so folks could get sorted. the votes went in favor fair enough

dont think both proposals should of gone in the cap i dont agree with because some will make over that weight theres no guarantee when breeding larger dogs :blink:

the breeding down would of been the best one still doesn't mean dogs wouldn't go over the cap but think if it came into play in a few weeks or months it wouldn't of effected pups not yet registered :blink: i have one myself at garys :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
JOHNG said:
sherry said:
JOHNG said:
yd/lb racing as a cap of 32lb so why can't a cap of 55lb apply to scratch racing . :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:
u aint capping the scratch as such u r capping the no limit which imo means no limit and i did vote against it :thumbsup:
HOW DO YOU WORK THAT OUT CAROL,

there is a 32lb limit for yd/lb racing ,now there will be a 55lb limit for scratch racing :thumbsup:

so what's the differance

tecnically u r getting rid of a class totally ie the no llimit and bringing in a new class 55lb u wont b able to call it no limit anymore as that means excatly that no limit. wonder if when people breed ghds with small stud dogs now people will b put off buying them just incase they do go over 55lb. i love scratch racing more than any other but i wud think twice now about buying a pup from a ghd x whippet just incase it did go over the 55lb limit

JOHNG said:
wild whippies said:
I voted for the capping, the reason being because rules regarding breeding alone wouldn't work because I believe people would lie.
I wasn't happy about the cap but it was either something or nothing and as those who attended the Reps proposal meeting know, I didn't feel one proposal would sort out scratch racing.

It's a shame that proposals have to be set in stone, I think it would be better if they could be collated and ammended to suit the majority with the blessing of the proposer.

spot on jac :thumbsup:

i voted to cap them on the same principle, like i said before it's not how big they are it's how they are being bred. :angry:

WHY SHOULD YOU BE VOTING JOHN, YOU LEFT THE SPORT, AND NO LONGER RACE.

I voted for the cap, i think the big dogs are getting beyond a joke, they are just getting bigger and bigger. If you want big dogs go greyhound racing.

You were warned by the BWRA chairman 5 year ago that the size should be brought down but it seems you have ignored this , so therefore you only have yourselves to blame.

I think it's only fair that every paid up member gets a say on this whether they are scratch racers or not.

As someone has already said people are racing their big scratch dogs on flapping tracks one week and with the whippets the next, it only takes one of the greyhound owners to complain to defra about the current "No Limit" racing being saturated by large quantities of what can only be described as greyhounds - if DEFRA got involved the issue would concern ALL whippet racers, not just the scratch owners.

I could understand being annoyed if this came out of the blue but since scratch racers were warned a few years ago to seriously look at their breeding this cannot come as a shock, basicly since then because of a few people making a mockery of the no limit class and "whippet" breeding, members have felt that the 55lb weight cap is the only feasable way to influence breeders and this got brought in by a majority of 46 votes.

HI JOHN

I CAN ACCEPT THE CAPPING AND THE NEW GREYHOUND PROGRAM

WHAT I CANT ACCEPT IS THAT BROUGHT AND SOLD PUPS UNDER THE OLD BWRA RULES DONE NOTHING WRONG .ONE OF WHICH IS NOW 13 MONTHS OLD

44LB FULLY SCHOOLED READY TO START COMPETING ,I COULD HAVE REGISTERD HER ANY TIME I LIKED BEFORE THE AGM BUT HELD HER BACK AND LET HER MATURE .NOW IM TOLD I CANT REGISTER HER I HAVE SPENT A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY ON THIS DOG AND SHE IS SMALLER THAN MOST OF THE NO LIMITS RUNNING TODAY

THIS IM NOT WILLING TO ACCEPT

IM SURE YOU WOULD FEEL THE SAME

GARY :thumbsup: :(

I'm not moaning about the proposals brought in just that it should of given folks chance to register there pups no matter the size they are :blink: they are being penalized :rant: when other dogs over fifty or not bred to the new rules can still run :- " should of started the date for at least 2009 not the day of the agm

Vicky said:
I think it's only fair that every paid up member gets a say on this whether they are scratch racers or not.As someone has already said people are racing their big scratch dogs on flapping tracks one week and with the whippets the next, it only takes one of the greyhound owners to complain to defra about the current "No Limit" racing being saturated by large quantities of what can only be described as greyhounds - if DEFRA got involved the issue would concern ALL whippet racers, not just the scratch owners.

I could understand being annoyed if this came out of the blue but since scratch racers were warned a few years ago to seriously look at their breeding this cannot come as a shock, basicly since then because of a few people making a mockery of the no limit class and "whippet" breeding, members have felt that the 55lb weight cap is the only feasable way to influence breeders and this got brought in by a majority of 46 votes.

well said :thumbsup:

Vicky said:
I think it's only fair that every paid up member gets a say on this whether they are scratch racers or not.As someone has already said people are racing their big scratch dogs on flapping tracks one week and with the whippets the next, it only takes one of the greyhound owners to complain to defra about the current "No Limit" racing being saturated by large quantities of what can only be described as greyhounds - if DEFRA got involved the issue would concern ALL whippet racers, not just the scratch owners.

IT ALSO ONLY TAKES ONE NON PED RACER TO COMPLAIN TO DEFRA ALSO VICKY PLEASE TELL ME WHO RACES THE BIG SCRATCH DOGS WITH THE GREYHOUNDS ONE WEEK THEN WITH THE NON PEDS A WEEK LATER AS I FIND THIS A VERY INTERESTING COMMENT.

Vicky said:
sherry said:
Vicky said:
jasper. said:
scratch racers now vicky, unless you have a big pup you are concerned about registering.
I DONT WANT A POLL VOTE VICKY, AS ANYBODY CAN CORRUPT THE  GENUINE VOTING..IT HAS TO BE SEEN TO BE FAIR.

We have a scratch pup not yet registered with the BWRA, i'm quite happy with the 55lb cap if it means people will starts to breed smaller.

I think it says a lot for people who already own scratch dogs and are willing to accept the consequences (like Karen) of the 55lb weight cap, she obviously has the best interests of future WHIPPET racing at heart. :thumbsup:

I'd be very interested to hear of any whippets who's parents weren't from greyhounds yet went over the 55lb weight limit - personally can't think of any "throwback" that does.

cant think of any but it doesnt say it wont happen. when we raced mickey whizz they wanted to bring in a 49lb limit he was 50lb and he was bred whizziwig x mickey mouse. whizziwig was bred crazy cracker x ghd. oh ive just thought of one thats bred streisand x ghd someones already posted on here its 70lb+ in cornwall, demonic love also bred vivs quest x ghd i think someone said it was 62lb only 1 parent a ghd

Idf you breed from greyhounds though that's the risk you as a breeder MUST take. If you see my post i said "throwback" ie "who's parents weren't from greyhounds yet went over the 55lb weight limit"

Although i dont race none peds at the moment,i have a dog here,out of Sky,(full brother to Minster Rocket)x Megan.who was from Silver(5/8w/g),over a Ghd.Minster Rocket,i believe,is 5/8 whippet,3/8 Ghd.Dog im talking about is Scruff. 27 TTS 62lb,and could go heavier.Also,Silver was 54/55lb,out of Jack,(full litter brother to Cornish Bob) x Judy,who was 1/2 bred,and also raced at 54lb.But then all mine seem to grow massive,compared to their littermates.Take Our Dannyboy,and Magical Reni.53lb each,at minute.Good Irish grub i say,and plenty of the stuff too,lol.No seriously,i think i'll have to lay of the Calci D.Just remembered that Silvers brother,from a repeat mating to Jack,produced Ricky,who went 68lb.Rest of litter were tiny.

Have a look at this, this is no joke.

d0a731a7.jpg

Vicky said:
it only takes one of the greyhound owners to complain to defra about the current "No Limit" racing being saturated by large quantities of what can only be described as greyhounds - if DEFRA got involved the issue would concern ALL whippet racers, not just the scratch owners.
Now once you've come to your conclusion of what the above trial mating would produce, swap the poodle for a greyhound and this is a situation we could find ourselves fighting defra against. How would it stand up in court that the dog was whippet?

Vicky said:
d0a731a7.jpg

Vicky said:
it only takes one of the greyhound owners to complain to defra about the current "No Limit" racing being saturated by large quantities of what can only be described as greyhounds - if DEFRA got involved the issue would concern ALL whippet racers, not just the scratch owners.
Now once you've come to your conclusion of what the above trial mating would produce, swap the poodle for a greyhound and this is a situation we could find ourselves fighting defra against. How would it stand up in court that the dog was whippet?

Nephew is sitting beside me,laughing his bo.....s off,and says it would result in one more black bin liner.But then he's the local dog warden,and thats what most of what he gets ends up as.Just another statistic.You have a point there Vicki,but still,pups already bred,or in the incubator,should be alloud to race.One ? i would have,would be this.What if a pup was regestered,as a 10 month old.Raced as a pup,wins a few,or whatever,but when finished growing,ends up 5lb hevier,than when regestered,and over the 55lb mark.What then,as it would already have been regestered,and raced.Would the owner then have to part company,with a posible champion.Or would they have to starve it,to keep weight down,which to me,would be a bigger problem,causing the animal to race,when not in a healthy state,to do so.Which,as ive seen many times,in greyhound racing,causes the animal to collapse,in the middle of a race,and take everything else but what was in front of it,with it. Just a thought. ...Billy...

(w00t)

Vicky said:
d0a731a7.jpg

Vicky said:

JUST SAY WHAT YOUR THINKING VICKY I DONT MIND IVE HEARD IT FOR MANY A YEAR. :p

GRAHAM PEM said:
Vicky said:
d0a731a7.jpg

Vicky said:

JUST SAY WHAT YOUR THINKING VICKY I DONT MIND IVE HEARD IT FOR MANY A YEAR. :p

if you heard it for years you should have took the hint ;)

thought the BWRA committee had a ruling between them that they don't commemt, answer or get involved in discussions on K9 :- "

I voted against the capping because I think that those people who have continued to disregard the warnings of breeding bigger and bigger dogs should be the ones that are penalised and not those that genuinely race their dogs because of the love of it. Not sure who those people are because their names seemed only to be whispered behind closed doors, or not said publically at least, but we seem to be told constantly that they exist !!

Maries proposal that I seconded was the first step in trying to restrict the breeding of bigger dogs and as far as we were concerned the bones were ours to propose and the BWRA were to impement such a proposal should it have been accepted. The timing is theirs to discuss and agree, which I believe they attempted at the AGm which Rob and I didnt attend because we had more important issues to attend to at the time.

Not everyone who has a big dog intended that at the point where they bought a puppy..................look at Bob :wub: a 36 lber out of wor john and Amazing grace, whose siblings are nowhere near that weight. No-one could have forseen it. For those people that intentionally breed bigger dogs then perhaps the responsibilty they hold should be reflected in the curtailing of their racing, not of those people who are unwittingly caught up in this.

chris

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back