The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

piper's pups

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Quite a few people who don't go open racing say this about using KC names but anyone who does will tell you that it's a good thing that they don't. At the Opens, each dogs name has to be written into the programme, by hand, after each round. Most of them just take too long to write down and take up too much space... and there isn't much time to do it :D

Judy is quite right, I struggle to write down the winner's racing names at the best of times. Having a racing name different from KC name, in my opinion, gives you scope for imagination and creativity.

Just my thoughts, Jo and I argue over what to call them, and then there is nicknames!

Scott.

Hi Scott

I can't understand how you can argue with Jo!.

in the past we haven't been able to use our dogs Kc name as it was already in use so we had to use a differant name which we were a bit miffed at as we had spent time choosing the name for the KC and had planned to use it as the racing name as well but it was knocked back that why i'd like to see the KC used for racing names as well.

BUT I think the lenth of names would need looking at?.

YOU CAN'T WIN THEM ALL? I'D BE HAPPY TO WIN 1! :(

isn't it funny how threads start as 1 thing then totaly go off in another direction? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have pedi's so dont have that problem but i'd be pretty miffed is someone chose my dogs racing/KC name & i had to use it all the time especcially if it was naff - lets face it we all have different tastes when it comes to names.

Good job Tony don't have to choose KC names eh Michelle - What would Ella have been now? Higher Green Mindy/ Curly Tail of Higher Green - Lol doesn't bare thinking about ;)

Looking at the Pedigree for our ESS pup there's a few relatives you can laugh at, i think the breeders must have been on acid when they named them.

I quite agree that I would not want to use as a racing name one that I did not like, chosen by someone else, but in the case of dogs you have bred and named yourself this should not happen, unless as in the case of "half a chance", it has already been taken. However if one uses your own affix this could not happen. The KC has a limit of 24 letters in a name, which is still quite long, but several people have their own affix on racing names as well which comes to at least 24 letters.

I quite agree that I would not want to use as a racing name one that I did not like, chosen by someone else, but in the case of dogs you have bred and named yourself this should not happen, unless as in the case of "half a chance", it has already been taken. However if one uses your own affix this could not happen. The KC has a limit of 24 letters in a name, which is still quite long, but several people have their own affix on racing names as well which comes to at least 24 letters.

Liz, you are quite right about some people using long racing names, but we don't half moan about it when scribbling them down in a hurry!

I hadn't thought about the, "being stuck with someone elses chosen name if you didn't breed it" argument but it's a good point. I suppose that racing is a sport that is as much about the trainer and their input, as the breeder, so we are looking at the naming thing from a different angle. ;)

I've just had another thought. Maybe the tradition of racing names comes from when whippets were being raced pre Kennel Club days. Freeman Lloyd complains in his 1894 book that the owners should be a bit more imaginative as they were all called Jack, Jim and Jip. :D

Oh, and another thought (it must be my day for the brain cell - poor Nigel!), the "but you can't tell what the breeding is from the racing name" argument doesn't wash either. Contrary to what a lot of the show people think, we DO know, AND care about the breeding of our dogs, regardless of name. Sorry, but I have heard that one so often and it makes me mad.

Oops! I just had a rant at the end there :b

I'm coming back into this thread after not having visited it for a while and I'm going to attempt to turn it back around ;)

That little Forrest is ADORABLE!!!!!!

John can you convince all the new owners to send pics so we can see how they grow up?

Hi Scott

Does your gorgeous Forest related to Piper ?

In case of not, can you send us a pedigree ?

Thanks

Hi Jean Marc,

Piper(Star of County Down) is Forest's mum and his dad is WCRCh Sunshine (Wandering Duke, I think). Piper, races as Pipe Dreams and also courses, Sunshine is brother to Flash bang wallop who I believe is a champion and has produced a lot of good dogs.

Regards,

Scott.

And a brilliant turn around-back, to the puppies by Aslan.

I am now going to say something, that I mean as a JOKE, so, please, no-body get offended.

With regards to Judy, having to put up with ignorant comments, regarding breeding whippets for racing, we all know what really happens!

The in-season bitch, is held by an anxious owner at the finish line of a race, the trap doors go up. Out come the dogs, will it be Catch the Wind, Time Keeper, Fine and Dandy or that no-hoper, who is now past his best. The dogs gallop up the track, they are neck and neck, breaking all speed records to reach their ultimate prize, the alluring and enticing bitch. Who is flinging herself, to the end of her lead, wanting to join in the melee, not realising, it is herself, who is this races ultimate prize! The first dog is over the line, and, quick as a blink, mounts his reward. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back to the puppies, they are gorgeous, it would be nice, if the new owners could keep us posted, as Aslan suggested.

Lydia and Darkstars.

OK Lydia WHO told you how we do it? theres one thing about that method! you're definatly getting the fastest as the father :p

I was going to suggest a dead heat would be interesting but I wont as that would be crude :b

Hi gang , the owner of the dog which went to Germany, Johanna is sending me some pics. when I get them I get them I will post them Harry's new owner wrote me anice letter too.

Well! We all know what those crude thoughts were Mark! At least, if it was a dead heat, the most intelligent one would get to be the father. The others would just be confused :b

Perhaps, thats not such a bad idea Lyd, it would be breeding by natural selection :D

Hi Judy, it would be natural selection wouldn't it. But suppose a dog that wasn't in the race, slipped his lead, and heaven forbid-got there first. :D :0 :D :0

Lydia and Darkstars

The pic of Cracker didn't work John - want to try again?

Hi John

I saw Sue with her puppy Harry, at Andover yesterday. He was a lovely chuncky pup and very friendly. I think Sue must be very pleased with him. When I saw him I went and asked her who he was as I thought he must be one of your puppies because of his age and colour :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back