The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Naming Hell

Farwells

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'll be going to pick up my new pup in 5 weeks :D

For the past 3 weeks I've been trying to think of a name for him. I've been asking people, browsing websites, books, even my CDs looking for inspiration and I havn't even got a shortlist of sort-of-OK names never mind anything I REALLY like :unsure: :(

Does anyone else have trouble picking names, this is the first time I've had to do it, my whippet X Ben came with a name already.

Anybody got any advice, suggestions... anything :) .

Dave.

If its anything like it is in my house - finding a name we all agree on is bloody hard work. :oops:

Anyway you could try putting the contenders into a hat and picking some out. Mind we even tried this and it didnt work.

In the end I resorted to a good website and found Kobi for my puppy - and it seemed to be a good mix of a few other names wed liked so we were sorted.

Hope you get there in the end. :cheers: :luck:

Try this site http://www.20000-names.com/index.htm

When we were looking for Celtic 'C' names for our pup from Dawn and Richard (who became Aphrael Caoilinn of Chelynnah)we found that site. It's got names from all over the world and their definitions.

Caoilinn (or should have been Caoilfhionn but the KC wouldn't let us have it) means 'slender and comely' which was perfect for a whippet :D

For her call name we found Telyn (Welsh for 'harp) on the same site which we use or shorten to Teya.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
I take weeks finding names for my dogs. I still havent givena proper name to my Whippet Pup in Belguim, it is really hard as she is there and I am here :(

Jan Doherty said:
I take weeks finding names for my dogs. I still havent givena proper name to my Whippet Pup in Belguim, it is really hard as she is there and I am here :(
Doris is a nice name for a pretty bitch - Ali is an even better one! :lol:

I cannot name a puppy untill I have it, then it sort of just comes to me. I knew Bess was Bess the moment I laid my eyes on her. It was a bit of shock as most of my dogs have a long name; Seraphina, Jeremiah, Callista and Madelaine. :)

Do you have a picture of your future puppy? That may help in naming him. :thumbsup:

Lida

Sometimes it just comes to you, you could have a short list, but like folks that have 9 months to decide on the name for a baby and have a few in mind - some just dont suit when they "meet" the baby!

Its good that you are having a good long ponder, dont dispair if you still hav'nt decided even when the pup is home, after all they do respond to tone of voice. Many dogs have had any number of names through changes of ownership, but respond eventually to the one which they associate with the company of their human and the comfort and joy that brings.

My experience is largely in the lurcher and Deerhound domain where there are any number of names in use, but personally I like the one's which reflect the nature of the dog and its history...Willow, Bracken, Gorse etc., as I live in Scotland many people seem to go for place names which seem appropriate, and Islands like Lewis, Isla, Stroma etc.

Again some choose names to reflect another interest or hobby they have, maybe you could go down that line? Yes... drink is an option :lol:

You did'nt say if the puppy will be registered, sometimes the reg. name can be nice in itself, especially if the breeder can let you know of the names they have chosen and you can ask for one that perhaps captures your imagination? Some folks find ways of shortening/adapting the reg. name.

Maybe you would want something to compliment Ben? Or choose something distictively different.

Anyway Dave, dont mean to patronise in any way...and look forward to learning what you do decide on (and seeing photos of Ben and his new friend). :wub:

I've even gone as far as looking at latin names of fauna and flora - how sad can one get (w00t)

Thanks all for the pointers & links (don't think I'd seen those particular sites) :thumbsup: . In a quick scan through I found a few interesting names but nothing I can see myself shouting at a receding hound rear end for years to come :lol: I'll have a more leisurely look later, there's got to be something.

The pup is a Pharaoh hound and I suspect his reg name may have some sort of Egyptian influence, but I'm not so keen on the whole Egyptian name thing. Maybe something more suited to a Maltese hunting dog. Anyone know any Maltese names?...maybe not.

I did think, as I 'play' trumpet, maybe name him after a trumpeter. Turns out alot of trumpeters have really dull names. And naming a dog Dizzy is asking for trouble!

I think in all likelihood the name won't be definite until puppy 'x' is with me and I can tell what suits, but for now I'm going to try and work up a shortlist.

Anyway, enough waffle, here's a pic...

bugger_off_im_sleeping.small.JPG

Dave.

Pharaoh Hound- How cool :) :) :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots more photos when you have them please.

Pharaoh Hound :wub: :wub: I love them!! you don't see many if any around the UK much, quite a rare breed, (well they are in N.Wales :D )

there so stunning and have ears like my Binx (w00t)

pharaoh.jpg

Farwells said:
The pup is a Pharaoh hound and I suspect his reg name may have some sort of Egyptian influence, but I'm not so keen on the whole Egyptian name thing. Maybe something more suited to a Maltese hunting dog. Anyone know any Maltese names?...maybe not.
I

Dave.

We have lovely Maltese electricians, there names are Simon and John! :D

Lida

Having given it thought regarding a name to compliment Ben's I have the perfect answer if you love Ice Cream ... Jerry (male) Geri (female) :clown:

Cool choice of pup by the way. :thumbsup:

Cool dog Farwells, no wonder you want a suitable name.

What about Miles or Davis. I like the Davis out of the two myself. Memphis is also another name with an Egyptian and musical link.

Good luck and happy sleep counting :luck:

Or after things that are a similar colour to a Pharoah?

Garnet

Uluru (Ayre's Rock in Australia often looks that colour at sunset)

Sunny (sunrise/sunset)

Ocre (Ochre? not sure of the spelling right this minute) (colour from rocks used in Aboriginal paintings)

Copper

Bronze

Or after Red Haired Celebrities/Characters?

Male

Dennis (the Menace) .... or maybe not

Boris (Becker) Tennis

Female

Jo-dee Messina (American country singer)

Reba McEntire (as above) that's who I named my red sibe after.

Nicole Kidman

Bree (the redhead on Desperate Housewives - am. tv show)

Cilla (didn't Cilla Black have red hair or is my memory failing me?)

Jolene (from the song ... 'flaming locks of auburn hair')

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back