The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Naming Hell

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What about Navarro - after Fats Navarro. Sounds Egyptian but still on your jazz theme.

Or Ellis after Ellis Marsellis

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely puppies - hope you find a suitable name - I do personally think you have to see the puppies character sometimes to 'fit' the name. :thumbsup:

Kobi was unamed for a day at least. :lol:

What lovely wee pups. :wub: It is hard to pick a name. We picked Jillys name bacause we thought it went with Jakey and Jakey's cause I thought it suited him. :thumbsup:

Oops - missed the part about not wanting an Egyptian name - though there were some there that were kinda cool.

Wendy

[quote name=Farwells' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:26 PM

I did think, as I 'play' trumpet, maybe name him after a trumpeter. Turns out alot of trumpeters have really dull names.

[/quote]

Tesa said:
Or Ellis after Ellis Marsellis

Or his son Wynton 8)

I have two Maltese friends called Tessie and Lorrie - coool names for dogs too :lol: they have a girl called Marsha -just a thought. :thumbsup:

or you could try this website of foreign names

Website of names

Beautiful puppies! I like the idea of a Maltese name for a kelb-tal-fenek (I believe that's what they're called in Maltese), here is a link to an English-Maltese online dictionary.

Personal experience has made me very superstitious with regards to dogs' names (if you name a dog Rascal, that is just what you will get...), might I suggest Hemda (Silence) for a Pharaoh Hound (to my knowledge not the quietest of dogs) :oops:

I bumped into my first Pharaoh Hound today on a local reservoir walk. Couldn't believe it, what a coincidence, and what a beautiful dog. Even the nose is the same red colour. What a stunner. Aloof and regal.

Good luck with finding a name that suits!

Thanks again guys, I've actually got the beginnings a list of possibles together now :D .

Miles is a good one (not Davis, my name's David so thats out). Ellis is good too, one of my favourite trumpeters is Don Ellis. Nobody mentioned the other Marsalis, Branford, might stick that on the list too.

Although it's poodles that turn up in his music with alarming frequency, Zappa is a possible. I've always thought Sheik Yerbouti (a Zappa album) would be a great reg name for a pharaoh hound!

Since I think something Maltese would be most appropriate for my Kelb tal-Fenek (the name rejected by the Kennel Club because it translates as Rabbit Hound :wacko: ) the Maltese dictionary is perfect, thanks bardmand, I'll be having a good look through that later, and yes they can be quite 'vocal'. I wonder what 'shut up' is in Maltese :lol:

Now I've actually got some possibles now, I wonder if I'll actually be able to choose between them when the time comes... :teehee:

Dave.

I trust you will let us know what name you decide on? And that in due time we will have to help you find a Latin or Italian name for the Cirneco dell'Etna you will need to complete your prick-eared pack? :lol:

awwwwwwwwww Pharoah Hound one of my favourite hound breeds,you lucky thing you :D :D

Looking forward to seeing photos of your pup, whatever his name is :luck: :luck:

After a lot of struggling with names also i have decided to keep this puppy and his name is.......SANDRO :wub: :thumbsup: Because he is full german pedigree and my fav germam dressage stallion is called sandro hit !!!

400.jpg

bardmand said:
I trust you will let us know what name you decide on? And that in due time we will have to help you find a Latin or Italian name for the Cirneco dell'Etna you will need to complete your prick-eared pack?  :lol:

I'll admit to having a soft spot for pointy-eared hounds, but I'm still promising myself a whippet in the future :D .

Once puppy 'x' has a name I'll let you all know, plus plenty of pics.

Dave.

OOh, Sandro is a nice name :thumbsup:

A Pharoah Hound definitely needs a regal name. I met one a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing. Very aloof!

He just knew he was gorgeous!!! :lol:

I've been looking at Persian names and words recently.

Tala means 'gold'

Banou is Iranian for 'lady'

Farrin means 'glorified'

Habibah means 'beloved'

I can't wait to see pics, and hear what name you finally choose :thumbsup:

Dave, can you remember when i longed for a whippet bitch, her name was gonna be Dharma....well as soon as i saw Diamond (who was called Rosie) i knew thats what she was gonna be.

Sometimes you just know instinctively what to call them.

Janimal said:
yes... any thoughts yet??? :unsure:

Nothing solid yet, I've got a nice big list of possibles that I'm going to put to one side and forget about for a bit!

Still another 4 weeks (aka a small eternity :( ) to go and I'll probably pick then.

AND THEN I'M NEVER NAMING ANYTHING EVER AGAIN (w00t) it's too much like hard work. All my dogs will be known as 'Oi', or maybe I could use some sort of numbering :lol:

Dave.

Just over 2 more weeks to go (starting to get really excited now) & I've just found out that my pups KC registered name is 'Omorose Aten Fire'. So now I'm trying to figure out if I'll shorten that somehow or chose a name from my (enormous) shortlist.

Decisions decisions....

Dave.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back