The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Isabel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey,

So are 12 week old cockapoo has been doing really well with his day time crating and training. He was able to stay on his own in his crate for 30/45 minutes (it takes him about 3-4 minutes to calm himself down).. However, today he has been really barking and whining when I have put him in the crate (and at all other times to be honest) which is really unlike me. I’m worried we have gone backwards with the training and he won’t be able to go in his crate anymore/well have to start down scratch which we don’t want. However, I am also aware that, like humans, puppies might have ‘off days’...he has seemed to have SO much energy all day! Any advice is welcome. Is it normal for puppies to have days where they don’t want to do training and go in the crate? How could I help him through this? Really don’t want to annoy the neighbours! Thanks so much!

You could think whether he's had anything different to eat that may have affected his behaviour. But yes, they have days when they seem extra-wired... usually just after you thought they were beginning to calm down!

At 12 weeks old, he's a baby and I wouldn't push with the training, particularly the crate training. The worst thing you could do right now regarding the crate is make him go in it, as you could put him off it for life. It really doesn't matter if training (of whatever type) takes a back seat for a while, and you just go with the flow for a bit.

Have a read of this article on crate training by the behaviourist Emma Judson: Crate-Training.docx - Microsoft Word Online

Thank you! It’s good to know that some days might be a little more crazy! I might just let him relax for a bit and then get started once I can see he is calm again!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back