The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raised Feeding Bowls??

bird

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone, just wondering how many of you use raised feeding bowls and how you rate them?? x

I use them for the 2 greyhounds. I bought them not long after we had William but he wasn't impresed he preferd to eat lying down not that I was keen on him eating like that. Button on the other hand won't eat unless her bowl is raised so now William has to have his raised too :- " because everything she does he has to do.

I have the ones that take 2 bowls in rings and although I do have 2 sets they like to eat with both their bowls in the same stand. The whippets aren't to bothered about them they are quite happy to eat with their bowls on the floor

Yes , I use them too and wouldn`t be without !! It is much better for them than eating at ground level and can protect against bloat too.

I have one too, the dogs love it. :thumbsup:

Flowerpot said:
Yes , I use them too and wouldn`t be without !! It is much better for them than eating at ground level and can protect against bloat too.
i use them aswell for the same reason :thumbsup:

I use them for all mine. for the greyhounds I think it's essential. Logan & Albie are big boys so I feel safer feeding them from a raised stand. Niamh and Daisy probably don't really need it but they're used to it now. :thumbsup: At Mum's the whippets' bowls are on the floor but they greyhounds still use raised stands - or buckets :- " - there too. :)

I use raised bowls, but because I'm a cheap-skate, I don't buy the real thing.

I use small buckets from our local hardware place, about 99p each, unclip the handle and the stainless steel dishes fit inside perfectly :))

Plus, I've got several handy small buckets around the house too :thumbsup:

Louise

food_bucket.jpg

We us raised bowls it saves them bending too far

I think it benefits any dogs digestion to not have to bend when eating

louisetope said:
I use small buckets from our local hardware place, about 99p each, unclip the handle and the stainless steel dishes fit inside perfectly  :))

Plus, I've got several handy small buckets around the house too  :thumbsup:

Louise

That's what I do! :thumbsup: :lol: The greyhounds have proper stands and the girls have a designer one but Albie and Logan have buckets. Good job they're not proud! :lol: :lol:

My mum's whippet has her feed raised (on a suitable sized tupperware which houses her feed!!). She did have it on the floor but would make strange noises, so was much happier with it raised.

Austin will eat from the floor but when he saw Zoe had her feed raised he wanted it up there too!!

His is on a smaller tub and I haven't been able to find another suitable tupperware, so I may look for a bucket now. What a good idea!

i think the jurys out on whether elevated bowls protect against bloat. I do have them and my 6 year old eats from one but a few weeks ago my 7 month old pup was eating from one and his belly swelled to the size of a balloon, he was crying and stood rigid and his neck was craned around staring at his belly..i rushed him to the vets who said it was a sort of pre bloat and he must have passed wind or burped the trapped air out.. v.scary.. :sweating:

i read on this site that someone puts the bowl down on the first step of the stairs and thats what i do now and also seperate all the dogs..it seems to stop them 'wolfing' it down.

:eek: i dont use them..............should i??????????

its iteresting to read others experiences, i havent had a case of bloat but certainly gives food for thought pardon the pun :thumbsup:

bird said:
Hi everyone, just wondering how many of you use raised feeding bowls and how you rate them?? x
I've had a raised water bowl for the last few years. I bought it to reduce the air intake when they drink, but it also meant that the floor under it would dry out (I've a couple of sloppy drinkers). This summer I bought some stands for their food as well. Chelsea's turned 10 and I thought it was much easier for her to eat from the raised stand than bending to the floor.

I don't know about benefits regarding bloat as originally it was thought it helped prevent, then apparently there were studies that said it didn't help at all..... But I do think it's easier on longer legged dogs to not have to stand splay-legged while eating. Even the puppies have been eating out of them with no trouble.

Anyway, we do like them now that we have them.

Wendy

louisetope said:
I use small buckets from our local hardware place, about 99p each, unclip the handle and the stainless steel dishes fit inside perfectly  :))

Plus, I've got several handy small buckets around the house too  :thumbsup:

Louise

omg ! what pet do you have ? a horse, look at the size of that bowl....or is it for more than one :D

I'm used to having a fussy eater who NEVER clears her bowl :- "

Miss Hely...YES...go and fetch a bucket and do what Hilary`s hounds do..That is a very good idea.I have designer ones and they were quite pricey at the time !

When I adopted my first Greyhound years ago, The lady from RGT told me about raised feeding aiding the digestion and helping to prevent bloat so I have always done this with any long legged dogs. Even my little mongrel Topsy has a raised bowl. She is small but with long legs :wub:

We expect pictures !! :- "

we have rased bowls too, they use the raised bowls for food but have not got one for water, witch I am looking for a single bowl holder, it carnt be too high as the cat drinks from it with the girls at the same time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back