The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rehoming Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
*Lesley* said:
Why did this thread start half way through, what happened to the first part :unsure:   :blink:
Someone asked a genuine question about the subject but is was amidst a thread and I think it was seperated so no-one felt that they was being targeted. :thumbsup:

*Lesley* said:
I should have also said if I ever had to rehome Spry she would go back to the breeder, who would have to keep her forever(just so you are prepared Lampy) don't make a space though she won't need it :D
Breeders and buyers can become very good friends  :huggles:

I have to agree. I've had contracts with every one of the breeders for my dogs over the last 20 years. Honestly, I'd be concerned if a breeder didn't require a contact and assume ultimate responsibility for all the animals they bring into the world. And every one of those breeders has become a friend and stayed in touch with me for the entire course of "their" pups lives.

My thought has always been that if a breeder isn't the best person I know to either care for my dog in my absence and/or ensure they had a home equally wonderful as I could give them, then....they're not really a breeder from whom I'd want to get a dog.

wild whippies said:
*Lesley* said:
I would also never sign a contract making any commitments to the breeders my dogs are mine and I make all the decisions for them, but I also wouldn't expect someone else to sign one either, if you stay on good terms and a new owner who knows you will help no matter what then you would probably be the first port of call should they need you anyway :)
I totally understand where your coming from Lesley as we all know how much you value your dogs. Unfortunately with time and experience of breeding no matter how well you think you know someone you can on accasion get your fingers burnt as unfortunately some K9ers did recently :( I can't blame anyone for wanting to draw out a contract on their dogs and those really experienced in these matters take it so far as to draw out a legally binding contract with a solicitor. They shouldn't feel they have to but this does give some peace of mind and to be honest I wouldn't find it offensive if I was requested to sign either, I just see it as the breeder wishing to ensure care of their offspring.

I understand what your saying Jac and wouldnt be offended if asked to sign one, but I still wouldnt sign I know why breeders do this and I can understand why they do it, but if the time ever came for rehoming and I'd signed a contract it would be like handing over my babies to a stranger then them having to move again to someone I hadn't chosen, I know them better than anyone else not just good point but bad and I would have to be sure that the new owner would be ok with giving them the life they were used to and accomadating for their personalities.

For instance Sienna is a bit frightened of small children because they are scitish so I always allow for that and keep her away, she is also top dog and I dont think she would stand for being otherwise. :*

Spry gets pains in her stomach if she eats her food too fast and I have to rub it for her which helps to calm her down so she doesnt spasm up so much. :huggles:

Kane will pinch and eat any mortal thing which to someone who doesn't love him would be a right pain in the bum. :angry:

And callie well she likes to be wrapped in her quilt in her bed most of the day, hates having her nails clipped and will shake at the sight of the clippers. (w00t)

These are just few of things which only I know(well did, you all do now :lol: ) so who is better to rehome them me or the breeder :unsure:

Even talking about rehoming them is upsetting :(

I totally understand where your coming from Lesley as we all know how much you value your dogs. Unfortunately with time and experience of breeding no matter how well you think you know someone you can on accasion get your fingers burnt as unfortunately some K9ers did recently :(   I can't blame anyone for wanting to draw out a contract on their dogs and those really experienced in these matters take it so far as to draw out a legally binding contract with a solicitor. They shouldn't feel they have to but this does give some peace of mind and to be honest I wouldn't find it offensive if I was requested to sign either, I just see it as the breeder wishing to ensure care of their offspring.
:thumbsup:

I think that the pups remember who bred them and where they came from, we hadnt seen a pup we bred for nearly 3 years, we met up with the owners one day and there dog was pulling to get to us as soon as she saw us, she was jumping up and going completely mental, the owners said they couldnt believe it as she is normally very quiet and a little timid around strangers, so was this that she recognised us after all them years as shes never done it with anyone else.

Spry knows Lampy and her siblings, it's lovely to keep in touch :huggles:

Spry knows Lampy and her siblings, it's lovely to keep in touch
We could find out on the 3rd of March? theres room for her and Andy in the van. :- "

I agree Paula and I have to say it really is lovely to see mature dogs bouncing around like toons when they see their original family. Just another thing which the Parkstone family in particular have done which is that dogs they've had returned to them have usually stayed with them. I think there's quite a few breeders who prefer to keep the dogs that have lost their forever homes basically because they feel they've let that particular dog down.

I think any caring breeder who did use contracts would also be sympathetic to the person who is forced to re-home and if they was concerned I'd certainly give them lots of feedback on the dogs progress and if they did know of someone who could offer an appropiate home I think the breeder would also give them consideration.

Have to say in my experience people who have returned dogs don't really keep in contact about the outcome of their dog :( but in fairness people like Lesley would have to be in totally dire circumstances to part with their dogs, shame there wasn't more out there like that. :thumbsup:

Mark Roberts said:
We could find out on the 3rd of March? theres room for her and Andy in the van. :- "

Always a treat to see any of the Spryers of course :* but to avoid any undue disappointment and god knows Lesley has experienced much at the feet of Bramble and ZORRO :- " ,it would make good sense to keep Spry at home on March3. Much kinder :D

Always thinking of others

LAMPINGMAN :thumbsup:

it would make good sense to keep Spry at home on March3
Lampy I think it's more to do with her trying to keep Andy away from you & your wine celler?. :cheers:

Thanks Jac, we do our best to keep them with us, but as you know with a multi dog house things dont always work out, (w00t) we got a dog back when he was 8 months old hed just been left in the back garden :rant: he was an absolute nervous wreck, we kept him for 18 months but as anyone who saw him when we took him racing he would get so stressed, and cut his feet and mouth on the cage, so we had to rehome him again, :( this also didnt work out but rather than get in touch with us he just sold him on, :rant: luckily hes now ended up with a lovely lady on a farm, with the promise that if he ever needs rehoming again he will come back to us. :huggles:

JAX said:
Ive had to re-home my breeding from 12 weeks to 10 years  (But only 4 all told :blink: ) Where possible I had them go from unwanted home to forever home without the upset of coming back here for a week or too and then off again. Much better for the dog concerned I think . Providing I know the dog has gone on to a super home  , either found by me or previous owner is irelevent  :cheers:

I think that this is just right :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I couldn't bear the thought of ANY of my pups that I've bred not coming back home to us ........ I've only had 1 that needed a new home, and it made me ill trying to stop Vinnie and 6 others ending up in rescue ....... It is right that once the puppy has been sold, as breeders we have no say in what the new owner wants to do with it, but as Paula said most puppies remember their breeders, and I for one would much rather have my pup/dog back so I could asses it and its needs ......My out going nutty boy came back timid with no idea of what was expected of him :( ......To think if he'd been sold by his owners to an unknowledgable home, he would have been a prime candidate for being sold on again etc .......

lamping man said:
Mark Roberts said:

Always a treat to see any of the Spryers of course :* but to avoid any undue disappointment and god knows Lesley has experienced much at the feet of Bramble and ZORRO :- " ,it would make good sense to keep Spry at home on March3. Much kinder :D

Always thinking of others

LAMPINGMAN :thumbsup:

Now thats either relief or reverse psychology :- " don't worry Lampy Spry will get her experience in April of another lampy thrashing event :p

wild whippies said:
Have to say in my experience people who have returned dogs don't really keep in contact about the outcome of their dog :(   but in fairness people like Lesley would have to be in totally dire circumstances to part with their dogs, shame there wasn't more out there like that. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that jac, it's true :huggles: I would rehome Andy first if anybody would have him :lol:

Its funny because the other night we were talking about what we would do if we won the lottery, as you do, and we decided we would buy a big piece of land and build heated accomodation and take in sighthounds and set up an excercise track employ people to pamper them ect ect :b

After a couple of minutes I said to Andy you know when we talked about this a few years ago there wasn't a dog mentioned :lol: funny how they take over your life isn't it o:)

There is another angle to returning dogs to breeder. I know some breeders who do breed rather lot, they insist on "unconditional return" contract, they have a very nice website, entry on every dog breed site or ring, and they get lot of enquiries. They hapilly take all their dogs back, do not give refund to the original owner (who paid top of the range price) and re-sell the dog again for full price.

I only breed every couple of years, i do not adverstise, so i do not have list of people waiting for dogs, if i do get enquiry at show, i tell them it will be another year or so before I will have pups and send them to a breeder I know either has pups or will have some soon.

I never had a dog come back, but if it did I would treat it as any other rescue, would look to place him/her for free to a new hopefully forever home, and ask for a small donation to out club's rescue service. I would also worm and if in doubt vaccinate them before placing them.

I have also formed life long friendship with some people who bought pups from me, I am still friend with somebody who bought a Dane from me 32 years ago, and who live now 2000km from here. But other people I just do not have enough in common with to really want to keep in touch. That is unles the dog they got from me needs my help.

But people pay lot of money for their dogs, I just wonder how much right we have to tell them what they can or cannot do with them.

Naturally, I mean within the boundaries of normal good care.

As i said before i never interveen with anyone who has bought a pup off me as years ago we bought a pup from a show home, as a pet that we might race, the woman was on the phone constantly telling me what to do with the dog, it did my head in :blink: the last straw came when she entered me in a show when she was told i didnt want to show him, :rant: this to me went way beyond breeders responsibility, so anyone that comes to me for a puppy are told we are available 24/7 ring us e/mail us phone us, :) but i"m not constantly on the phone telling them how to rear and look after there puppy, its theres, but i also dont think its to much to ask them to return it to us if at anytime in its life it needs a new home. :( I still wake up sometimes in the night wondering where my 4 year old went to that went into rescue, and wonder who hes with and how hes doing, :( as the old saying goes "what you dont know cant hurt you" but the things you do know and cant do anything about are the worst. :(

Here I go again... I keep promising I won't

BUT tbh not only would I gladly take back any puppies I've bred, but before breeding any litter I know I don't depend on selling ANY of my puppies. I know I would be happy in the end to keep them ALL unless I am confident that they are placed in better homes than I can offer.

I accept that I have small litters and breed less frequently. This may not be applicable to all breeders.

Angela Bayley said:
BUT tbh not only would I gladly take back any puppies I've bred, but before breeding any litter I know I don't depend on selling ANY of my puppies. I know I would be happy in the end to keep them ALL unless I am confident that they are placed in better homes than I can offer.

I accept that I have small litters and breed less frequently. This may not be applicable to all breeders.

You are as entitled as any-one to an opinion Angela, love your web-page, I have a friend with a Silk-dance lad who loves my boys to bits :thumbsup:

Angela Bayley said:

Well I think we ALL offer/aim for the above :thumbsup: .....but when it does go wrong us breeders are left either wondering or paying for your home bred pup back (which is what I had to do .....) ....Well its worth it for peace of mind ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back